Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default When is it time for a new laptop and what can you do to get old one to keep going doing what you want i

Hi

Wondered what clues does your laptop usually provide to tell you it's time for a new one? And what can you do to get your old one to keep going another few months?

Have a older laptop that was bought a few years back at a sale and have had that for about 3 years plus it was probably a few years old then so now would be atleast 5 years old,

The older laptop had windows vista sticker on it but it had no hdd so put another in.

Also it had a gig memory in it maximum support is 2 gig and put another gig strip in so it's now at maximum.

It's getting slower and slower and don't have the $ for a new laptop at moment and wondered what you could do to get it as fast as a recent model until then.

Do however have a fairly recent one with a broken screen and think that's all that's wrong, and should work with a new screen, memory upgrade and a reload.

The older one however is lucky to still be in one peice

Thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Default Re: When is it time for a new laptop and what can you do to get old one to keep going doing what you want

Get rid of the google bloatware?
Often heaps of crap get loaded on our computers without us knowing(in updates we get every 5 minutes)... mobile phones are the same
Old 21-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: When is it time for a new laptop and what can you do to get old one to keep going doing what you want

Resist the temptation to upgrade to latest software. If you still have the licence keys, consider going back to older versions of windows, office, etc. Install the oldest version of IE/ Firefox you can find.
Uninstall all updates you don't need.
Check your task manager for processes you don't need and uninstall the offending software.
Disable services you don't need.
Go through your list on installed programs and uninstall all the random crap you don't actually use.
When you have done all that, run a registry cleaner to remove all the rubbish left behind.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Also run Malwarebytes. It is the best maleware cleaner.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

When your laptop starts to frustrate you, shut it off and buy a new one, they're not worth the stress. Really, it doesn't get better, it gets worse. Websites and programs require more and more power / memory to run adequately. 5 years out of a laptop is a good run. You might get more out of a gaming machine (I've still got an Asus G73 that performs well, running Win10 and office 2016), but they should be laid to rest after a certain time.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its just the screen cracked on the newer one, get a hd cord and plug it into your tv if it has a hd connection. You should be able to boot it up and run it on the tv.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2017, 02:11 AM   #7
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Also, defrag the hard drive. I've had mine since 2008. Still running fine. When I buy a computer I always get the highest performing CPU and maxed out memory. That prolongs the life of the computer.
Old 22-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the screen replaced on the newer one.

Should be about half the cost of a decent new laptop.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
flightstrike

If you've got the installer CDs for Windows etc, I'd be reformatting it. Start from scratch and only install what you need. It'll runnmuch better and you won't have to thrown it out every five years.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
Get the screen replaced on the newer one.

Should be about half the cost of a decent new laptop.

Seen screens go for about $80 free post on ebay and may possible buy another memory strip depending how things go
Old 22-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and not at moment in a position to do much as car still needs a heap of work and thats got to be first choice
Old 22-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #12
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Also uninstall the software installed by the NSA. :-P

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #13
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

My (inherited) laptop turned out to have 3 antivirus programs fighting each other, which made it s-l-o-w.

+1 for Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.com). Just load it, do the check/quarantine etc, then you're sorted.

Avoid "hub" or "tube" sites :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
My (inherited) laptop turned out to have 3 antivirus programs fighting each other, which made it s-l-o-w.

+1 for Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.com). Just load it, do the check/quarantine etc, then you're sorted.

Avoid "hub" or "tube" sites :P
Then what's the point of having a computer?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz

Last edited by GasoLane; 22-08-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
danzvtil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Or you could buy a Mac and not worry about winblows nonsense. I made the switch 4 years ago and spend my time on more meaningful things than malware, viruses, software patches and whatever latest greatest fad that comes from MS or Google.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #16
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Or you could buy a Mac and not worry about winblows nonsense. I made the switch 4 years ago and spend my time on more meaningful things than malware, viruses, software patches and whatever latest greatest fad that comes from MS or Google.
Only prob is that Mac's are twice the cost of M.S products when buying new.

But i suppose if you don't have to keep buying antivirus every 12 months in the long run it probably works out.

Also, if a Mac breaks down it 'has' to go an 'Apple Mac' shop for repairs which would also be expensive.

1 day when i can afford one i might try a Mac???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #17
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

And in 3-4 years when it comes to sell a Mac you will get something for it. Whilst zero for a winblows POS. AppleCare is relatively good value.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #18
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I am not a fan of windows. I really am not, but but I have been running since 2008.

I like the idea of Mac and maybe one day get one, but have to see how it goes. Also, I have tons off algorithms I would need to port over.
Old 23-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
^^ Not a truer word has been spoken I switched 8 years ago and have not had a single computer issue since I took my iMac out of the box.

It cost a bit more initially but 8 years later it's still going strong without having spend a single cent, and I am only just thinking about upgrading and my kids will end up with the one I have now.

Unlike the annual upgrade ritual, anti virus, malware, and constant upgrades that need to be bought.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #20
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had my macbook pro since 2011 not having to deal with anti virus stuff is the best, never ever had a software issue.
only had one issue mine had a known fault with a hard wear part in-side it it only started failing last year but it passed all the tests done at the apple store lucky the awesome guy at the store went in and stood up for me and got the part replaced for free very good after sales support
it also feels good to hold something that feels like quality unlike all the DELL's my old man has had!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #21
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chuck a SSD in it, install Win 7.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #22
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I must be honest, there is no reason to pay yearly virus/malware protection fees. Available for for free from microsoft is Security Essentials to run as real time virus/malware blocker. Then from malwarebytes you can get their free download that will scan your system. That tool picks up things nothing else picks up.
Old 24-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #23
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Completely wipe it and a fresh install of Windows, it will be better than when it was new.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2017, 02:33 AM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Ford doesn't need antivirus either, so it must be better than a Mac?

Besides, with a Mac there is all the extra cost of the candles and incense for your Steve Jobs altar.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post