Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Mazda Artarmon asked customers to give reviews with 'only the highest scores'

Quote:
Mazda Artarmon asked customers to give reviews with 'only the highest scores'

Lucy Cormack
15 December, 2016

A Mazda car dealership on Sydney's north shore has sent a letter to customers, asking them to give "only the highest scores possible" to a customer satisfaction survey, stating that "the higher the rating, the higher the perception of the brand and hence, better resale opportunities for your Mazda".

The letter was issued by Artarmon Mazda to customers who had recently purchased a new car. It was sent as a precursor to the "Mazda Master Dealer Award," which is held to recognise "excellence in customer satisfaction".

"In a few weeks you will receive a 'welcome pack' from Mazda Australia which will contain a customer survey booklet entitled How did we do bringing zoom zoom to you?" the letter reads.

"We would like to encourage you to fill in the survey and send it back to Mazda with only the highest scores possible in the assessable questions."

In advising customers on how to respond to the survey, the letter states that a "score of 10 is considered positive feedback, whereas a 9 or below is considered neutral or negative."

A Mazda dealership asked customers to give "only the highest scores possible" to a customer satisfaction survey. Photo: Mike Ditz

The letter then explains why giving a positive review is in the customer's interest.

"All motor vehicle manufacturers submit these surveys for the purpose of analysis and the survey ratings are widely published annually to the car buying public. The higher the rating the higher the perception of the brand and hence, better resale opportunities for your Mazda."

In an anonymous letter sent to Fairfax Media, one consumer expressed how "disturbed" they were by the advice given.

The consumer argued that, if the advice was followed, the survey would represent a "complete waste of time."

"This strikes me as a completely unethical attempt to inflate the survey results in favour of Mazda/Mazda Artarmon and to mislead the car-buying public. Your attempt to engage my self-interest by referring to "better resale opportunities" is equally appalling."

The general sales manager for Artarmon Mazda, Stephen Heather, said the letter was sent by an employee who no longer works at the dealership, and once the content of the letter was understood "it was no longer distributed".

"To reiterate, we encourage customers to provide open and honest feedback throughout their Mazda ownership journey with our dealership."

Mr Heather said that both positive and negative reviews were used to "develop sales staff" and future customer experiences.

A spokesperson for Mazda Australia said all dealerships participated in surveys, both with Mazda Australia and independently to measure feedback on their business.

"Mazda welcomes honest and transparent customer feedback throughout their relationship with the brand," she said.

"Mazda Master Dealer Awards are a Mazda Australia initiative to acknowledge dealer achievements across all aspects of their business."

It is understood the letter was specific to Artarmon Mazda and not issued across all dealerships.

Tom Godfrey, spokesperson for consumer advocate Choice, said the letter pointed to "how deeply flawed industry ratings and rewards can be".

"Clearly companies have a vested interest in trying to encourage people to say positive things about them, even when they might not be true."

Mr Godfrey said fake reviews were all too common, adding that around 15 per cent of reviews globally were fake.

"I think it's really important consumers always question what they are being told by industry. If you get sent a survey like this, your best bet is to drive a hard bargain and make them earn your next purchase."

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consu...14-gtb4y1.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: Mazda Artarmon asked customers to give reviews with 'only the highest scores'

Toowong Mitsubishi basically did the same at point of sale, said if I give them a 5 star reveiw they would give me a $50 fuel voucher. Then also said if I gave less than that then the salesman could lose his job (playing a guilt factor).

I didn't fill it out and they can stick the $50 fuel voucher up their ......
Old 15-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Mazda Artarmon asked customers to give reviews with 'only the highest scores'

Plenty of dealerships play that game.

How is this news worthy.

So much for constructive feedback if their customers fall for it. I'm brutally honest

6 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Toowong Mitsubishi basically did the same at point of sale, said if I give them a 5 star reveiw they would give me a $50 fuel voucher. Then also said if I gave less than that then the salesman could lose his job (playing a guilt factor).

The Nissan dealer we bought the X-Trail from did exactly this. Friend who bought a new Clubsport experienced the same, as did my brother who bought a new Outlander last year.

The difference here is that Artamon Mazda were silly enough to put it in writing...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai did the same to my Mrs when she bought her car. They said Hyundai head office in South Korea would be ringing the dealership up if they don't get a perfect score. This was all verbal said by the salesman. Obviously we didn't do the stupid survey.

Fantastic service up until you say you want to buy the car. Then it was below average.

What manufacturers don't do it would probably be a shorter list.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
Sioso
irregular member

Yep, 2 dealerships I have dealt with do the exact same thing but just aren't silly enough to put in writing.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Does Toyota do the same thing? They sell well for some reason...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Local Mazda salesman rang me after I filled mine in . He ended up with a 46 score when he told me he usually gets 97+ and then asked why. I told him in no uncertain terms why and i suspect he wont be talking to me unless I am looking for another new car. He couldn't deny anything , but he attempted to.
I have no sympathy at all for car sales persons , to most you're just another head which they try to suck as much money as possible out of. Having said that I have met some over the years that I have liked but even they have had the same objective , it's just that they may have had a conscience.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having had an SP 23 followed by an SP 25 in the family, I'd give them a high score without being prompted. I was disappointed with the paint match between the plastic bumpers and the steel body but then found nearly all cars suffer from this, including both my F6's.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dealers are under pressure from their manufacturer to get top results in customer satisfaction = this

Many factors can make a fantastic survey and indeed a terrible one as well.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

These surveys are so pointless. How can a 9 out of 10 be considered neutral or a fail? I reckon most would fill it in and not think much of it. The dealers take them so seriously though and have tables comparing them to other dealers.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
These surveys are so pointless. How can a 9 out of 10 be considered neutral or a fail? I reckon most would fill it in and not think much of it. The dealers take them so seriously though and have tables comparing them to other dealers.
In the world of Customer Surveys, a 1-6 is a Negative (Detractor), 7-8 is Neutral, 9-10 is Positive (Promoter).

Asking for top marks and giving you the guilt trip is disgusting IMO, but then again these people probably have Bonuses tied to KPI's which include Survey Results - Hence why I'm not a fan of a company that is driven so heavily by KPI's, etc.

When I bought my new FGX in May this year, the salesman told me that Ford will get in touch with me and ask for Customer Feedback on our dealings, and if I could please complete it. I said sure. I was extremely happy with this dealer's ethics, that I would have given him top marks anyway. Unfortunately, I was never asked for the survey. The dealer even called me a month or two after the sale to see how I and the car was going, and asked if I had received a survey, and I told him no unfortunately, but if I do, I would be giving him top marks. It just never came through for me.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have never had a survey as the result of 'buying' a new car. Always get one when the car is serviced by the dealer.
If I'm happy, it goes in the bin because they are only doing what they are paid to do.
If I'm not happy, I fill it and tell them why..... that usually gets a response from them..
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They all do it to some extent. At minimum, they "coach" the customer how to answer and then say "but I'm not going to tell you how to answer it." Who cares really?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's sadly part of all big company business ethics. The NPS or nett promotors score is today's jargon and what they all seem to scramble over each other to score. These surveys probably are part of this process. Give it 10 years and the next breed of acedemics will have a new system and look back at the present methods and shake their heads,now whether it's better or not is another story!
Personally word of mouth is the best reference that I trust,the others are just spin. Funnily enough I'd give my local Mazda dealer top marks without hesitation,the local Ford dealer,well I've only had one short dealing with them and that turned me right off, I was seriously looking at a new Mustang,felt like I was in a queue at Maccas.

Last edited by XByoot; 16-12-2016 at 06:17 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

If the dealership gave you top service and a great deal, then there would be no need to mark up 5stars or less would it?

What happened to old fashioned quality service and great prices to 'earn' your review instead of this nonsensical, guilt trip ridden and bribe induced crap?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #17
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
If the dealership gave you top service and a great deal, then there would be no need to mark up 5stars or less would it?

What happened to old fashioned quality service and great prices to 'earn' your review instead of this nonsensical, guilt trip ridden and bribe induced crap?
Very true,that's what the local Mazda dealer did with me years ago,been great service,mechanics that knew their crap and no nonsense. Top marks without any sort of arm twisting,but the new way of doing things isn't based on common sense,it's just numbers for the statisticians to play with and big companies to create some spin with...brave new world
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Very true,that's what the local Mazda dealer did with me years ago,been great service,mechanics that knew their crap and no nonsense. Top marks without any sort of arm twisting,but the new way of doing things isn't based on common sense,it's just numbers for the statisticians to play with and big companies to create some spin with...brave new world
Man Im a no BS kind of person and if some dealership tried this on me, I'd give them poor marks on purpose and then take my servicing business elsewhere.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #19
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And then there's the "engagement" surveys that big companies do. Strangely enough very few relevant questions about upper management it's all about the middle men or women. Even the most dysfunctional business can come up trumps if the right questions are asked. All spin and BS. Like my old grandad used to say.."If BS were music they would be a brass band" pretty true of today's business ethics unfortunately. I just make a personal decision not to be any part of or take any notice of this sort of stuff. Lies,damn lies and statistics.
Old 16-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #20
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Have never had a survey as the result of 'buying' a new car. Always get one when the car is serviced by the dealer.
If I'm happy, it goes in the bin because they are only doing what they are paid to do.
If I'm not happy, I fill it and tell them why..... that usually gets a response from them..
I understand why they do the surveys, and have no problems completing them. In fact, if you are an ISO 9001 certified company, it is a requirement that you obtain feedback from your Customer's, and use that as an input to improve your processes.

"A method shall be determined for obtaining information related to customer perception (such as customer satisfaction surveys, customer data on delivered product quality, user opinion surveys, lost business analysis, compliments and warranty claims)"

"The organisation shall monitor information relating to customer perception as to whether the organisation has met customer requirements"

ISO9001:2008 Section 8.2.1
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #21
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is as an average Aussie, I would mark a 7/10 if I was quite happy and satisfied with the service, coaching your customer is plain wrong, but some of these overseas companies tie their dealer remuneration to scores. If I wanted perfection, I'd go into a Benz or Lexus dealership.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #22
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post

That's when I walk out and buy from someone else.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #23
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From 'The Simpsons':

Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #24
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
That's when I walk out and buy from someone else.
Yeah I'd feel pretty frustrated as well after hearing that... similar frustration with charlie here:

baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for servicing, my local Ford dealership actually calls me up a few days after the service to ask a few survey type questions.

A few days after 3000kms free checkup 'service' they called me and asked if my service experience went well.
I said "No, I haven't got my car back yet"
"Oh, why's that?"
"Because it was damaged during the service and now it's getting fixed"
"Oh, I didn't know that. I guess I can't survey you if you don't have your car back yet"

I got my first real service for free because of that incident, so I guess that somewhat redeems the stuff around.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #26
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to work there...and 9 and below is indeed a neutral score, which sucks.

Really nicely worded and formal letter for a "salesman that no longer work there"

As if!
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Does Toyota do the same thing? They sell well for some reason...
Any thing is possible , but its been my experience toyo stuff is generally well put together , and if someone asked me if i would buy another ...... it would be yes.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #28
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the same spiel when I bought my Territory but didn't think anything of it because of the excellent service I received. I always give honest feedback, cause I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

If I get crappy service then of course I'm not going to rate them highly no matter what they tell me.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #29
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

One of the dealers I purchase from gives out a flyer on how to complete the survey. Big emphasis on the idea that anything less than absolutely full marks indicates there was a problem- and of course they'd like to address it before they're marked down. Can't blame them. Holden were possibly the worst this year, delivered a car with such little fuel that the first 5 mins of ownership were spent *** clenching about whether I'd make it to a petrol station. Survey marks reflected this.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #30
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
One of the dealers I purchase from gives out a flyer on how to complete the survey. Big emphasis on the idea that anything less than absolutely full marks indicates there was a problem- and of course they'd like to address it before they're marked down. Can't blame them. Holden were possibly the worst this year, delivered a car with such little fuel that the first 5 mins of ownership were spent *** clenching about whether I'd make it to a petrol station. Survey marks reflected this.
How many cars do you go through in a year?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post