Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #61
FPV0002
FPV0002

Default Re: Utes are fast becoming the new Aussie family car: Toyota HiLux and Ford Ranger set new record

I myself have the luxury of a twin cab ute provided as a work vehicle and have been fortunate/unfortunate enough to have a navara, hilux and currently a Isuzu dmax over the last few years. It has given me a good opportunity to sample a variety of these beasts thoroughly as I do around 60 thousand Ks a year in my work vehicle. I also have a 'traditional' albeit more hotted up version on a family sedan in the form of an FG GT335 as my weekender/personal car. I must agree and can see why the popularity of the twin can has become what it is today,, whilst not overly inspiring to drive their practicality and function cannot be rivalled by much. I've found they are Comfortable enough for long trips, power hardly inspiring but sufficient, the ability to lug work gear around all week then take the family and motorbikes/pets and ability to tow anything else you can throw at it on the weekend is very handy also. As a vehicle for an enthusiast they can be quite dull, at the end of each week I cannot wait to get out and drive my GT. These Utes serve many purposes well and that cannot be ignored.
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #62
Sioso
irregular member

Default Re: Utes are fast becoming the new Aussie family car: Toyota HiLux and Ford Ranger set new record

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...ed437fcb7650ad
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #63
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
They're practical multi-function vehicles. If Ford Australia had half a brain, they would bring in a select range of F series, factory RHD and at a reasonable cost. It would sell like hot cakes.
Well that's an oxymoron......Ford and Brains
Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #64
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The graphical stats for this month have been loaded to the Technical portal.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #65
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV0002 View Post
I myself have the luxury of a twin cab ute provided as a work vehicle and have been fortunate/unfortunate enough to have a navara, hilux and currently a Isuzu dmax over the last few years. It has given me a good opportunity to sample a variety of these beasts thoroughly as I do around 60 thousand Ks a year in my work vehicle. I also have a 'traditional' albeit more hotted up version on a family sedan in the form of an FG GT335 as my weekender/personal car. I must agree and can see why the popularity of the twin can has become what it is today,, whilst not overly inspiring to drive their practicality and function cannot be rivalled by much. I've found they are Comfortable enough for long trips, power hardly inspiring but sufficient, the ability to lug work gear around all week then take the family and motorbikes/pets and ability to tow anything else you can throw at it on the weekend is very handy also. As a vehicle for an enthusiast they can be quite dull, at the end of each week I cannot wait to get out and drive my GT. These Utes serve many purposes well and that cannot be ignored.
Agistment manager where our horse is has modded his wives MU-X (same engine as your D-MAX) with a torqit upgrade. Damn thing spins all four tyres at will!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 12:10 AM   #66
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
then theres the door chime...
Damn Ford an their door chime, what were they thinking with this new stupid technology. I hope no one else starts using this stupid technology.

The hate for dual cab on this forum is unbelievable.
You would think people on a 'car forum' would be more accepting of a range of vehicles and their positives and negatives, but not this one. Sometimes I think I have stumbled onto a stamp collectors forum with how much some members seam to hate cars and driving.

Dual cabs are not perfect. They have some negatives like they are slow and do not handle well. But they are not made for those things. They are extremely handy and practical. Not the best for parking in cities, but if you know how to drive it isn't that hard.

Sometimes I think I want to sell mine and get something quick that handles well. But they I think how handy the dual cab is and that thought drops from my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
but I still think buying a 4wd you'll never take off the road is just a waste, both of a 4wd and of money.
I hate it when someone I know buys a new dual cab, I log onto net banking and my balance has gone down. That always sucks.

I don't mind hitting the trails or just throwing my mountain bike in the back, but I know some people who own dual cabs and never use the full capabilities of them. They could probably get away with owning a sedan no worries, but I couldn't care less if they want to use a 4x4 for daily city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

Unless you live in the golden south east corner of the state, a low riding car with licorice strip rubber on 19 or 20" tyres and stiff suspension is just worse than useless...
Average height sedans can be useless around town too. I once had to ask my 3 passengers to get out of my sedan because it got beached on a driveway (Middle undercharge scraped badly and I was too worried to move)
I can't count the number of times I had to exit driveways on 45 degree angle at 2km/h or had scraped the front bumper on an unexpectedly steep driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Don't rope the 6m long twin cab utes/trucks whatever, under the one SUV bracket. There are other SUV's like the Territory, that can perform more like a car.
6m is pussing it. The bigger ones are about 5.3 or so. Most large sedans are 5m
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #67
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Tax is why.
They are commercial vehicles and there for are 100% tax deductible.
Most accountants now drive fully kitted out duel cab Utes now. I know my local accountant just bought a ranger that came in just under $100k thanks to all the ARB junk on it.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #68
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It horses for courses as far as I'm concerned, I would never buy a Dual Cab Ute. I have my reasons but that doesn't mean that no-one should or that they are crap.. They just don't appeal to me and If I where spending circa $60k on something it would be one of them... If jo blogs or whoever buys one because its what they want, great, I wish you/them many happy years of motoring with it... Me? I'll stick with something else and be just as happy.

My Dad (2010 Ranger) and Brother (2015 Colorado) love them, and it suits them and what thay want it for.. Ones a Retiree who goes away off road with his off road camper trailer and the other is a sparky (no prizes for guessing which ones which...lol).

I have driven both a fair bit and apart from the seat in the Colorado not going low enough for me they are fine...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 02:43 AM   #69
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

The hate for dual cab on this forum is unbelievable.
You would think people on a 'car forum' would be more accepting of a range of vehicles and their positives and negatives, but not this one. Sometimes I think I have stumbled onto a stamp collectors forum with how much some members seam to hate cars and driving.

Dual cabs are not perfect.
What range of vehicles?
If I want a new ford (not solely limited to ford either) I'd have to buy a dual cab, SUV or something fwd. WOW the variety! Cars these days (across all makes) are so damn similar to each other and are hideously uninspirational. However people on this very car forum say that about my alleged ****** old cars in my sig.

Dual cabs are not perfect you say. So many people here think they are.
And maybe we wouldn't hate cats and driving if we weren't stuck with the stuff we have to buy these days.

I bet they feel pretty big talking down on others vehicles (like on page 2 people replying to my original post) just like the way they feel big driving their oversized Utes.
I don't hate the vehicles as much as the tough guys who own them (and there are a lot of soccer school run mums using these now too, hence the article.)
I have no problem with people who genuinely use one to its full extent (like grey nomads) who happen to respect other road users and the environment.

The vehicles themselves are practical IF you have the use for it. The flooding of them on the roads and tracks is getting annoying very quickly.
Diesel soot is unpleasant to breath in (especially when recirc doesn't work in your ****** old car), the vehicles are big enough to not see past (no good in Perth when people don't pay attention and slam brakes) and the ones that make it off road are heavy and increase track degradation especially when fitted with common massive tyres. And then people have the nerve to whinge and carry on about how tracks are getting closed!

On the flip side there's heaps getting around on large mag rims.

But this sounds like whinging to anyone who drives an SUV or dual
Cab anyway.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #70
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
What range of vehicles?
If I want a new ford (not solely limited to ford either) I'd have to buy a dual cab, SUV or something fwd. WOW the variety! Cars these days (across all makes) are so damn similar to each other and are hideously uninspirational. However people on this very car forum say that about my alleged ****** old cars in my sig.

And maybe we wouldn't hate cats and driving if we weren't stuck with the stuff we have to buy these days.

I bet they feel pretty big talking down on others vehicles (like on page 2 people replying to my original post) just like the way they feel big driving their oversized Utes.
I don't hate the vehicles as much as the tough guys who own them (and there are a lot of soccer school run mums using these now too, hence the article.)
I have no problem with people who genuinely use one to its full extent (like grey nomads) who happen to respect other road users and the environment.

The vehicles themselves are practical IF you have the use for it. The flooding of them on the roads and tracks is getting annoying very quickly.
Diesel soot is unpleasant to breath in (especially when recirc doesn't work in your ****** old car), the vehicles are big enough to not see past (no good in Perth when people don't pay attention and slam brakes) and the ones that make it off road are heavy and increase track degradation especially when fitted with common massive tyres. And then people have the nerve to whinge and carry on about how tracks are getting closed!

Cab anyway.
Is it hard being such a grump, you need to lighten up a bit

Ford sells FWD, RWD and AWD performance cars at this time, what's not to like
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #71
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The hate Hmmmm. For those of us who can't swing the cash yet for something brand new, in the future (if not already) will be stuck with oversized dual cabs which have the excitement of a maths textbook or some kind of hideous SUV which boggles the mind on why people think these are superior to other vehicle types. The last option are soulless mostly hideous front wheel driven let's have no car culture in Australia anymore type vehicles.

Many people buy these large dual cabs and think they are king s . . t (typical shirtless Cory type bloke pictured minus the white sunnies and bottles of ****) and think they own the road, push their way through traffic (and out bush, hog tracks, push smaller vehicles off the road, don't dip high beams and destroy tracks something chronic spinning 4 wheels (and 2wd aswell) with their 2.5t+ fat asses)
They cost more to own, they are expensive to start with, when they have issues its expensive or not covered by warranty as its classically "in spec". They drive good for the bulk, they are quick (in auto) for their bulk and return good economy aswell. Most definitely absolutely soulless, nothing more than plastic and wizardry that is going to fail with enough abuse.
I thought the 6 individual computers/modules in my NC were enough to have me begin hoarding the computers whilst frothing at the mouth.

People said they don't buy falcon as they are thirsty and cost too much to run. What a load of bollocks. Dual cabs and SUV's are worse (except fuel economy is much in the muchness).

Dad has an XLT Ranger, first non Falcon since I was a kid. It's nice but it will be the first vehicle I won't miss when it's gone.
Apparently a steel bullbar, long range tank and canopy is enough to shoot the suspension to buggery ( low enough to have front cv angles inverted, rear springs are moulded around the axel) is normal and not covered under warranty. They are talked up way too much. People are too used to sinking the boot into Aussie cars to the point that people are under the impression imports can never do no wrong.

Towing capability is unrivalled on the upside and are a good do everything vehicle for some people.
We must have been driving very different new falcodoors

I found the last few of them I've driven to be as exciting as cleaning out the fridge

I have a hose out model DMax as my current company car

I love it it's also not awe inspiring soul wise but no worse than any of the low profile white goods passed off as 'A driving experience'

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #72
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

They certainly aren't for everyone but they are certainly a strong force in the market place at the moment but let's keep that in perspective. On a YTD basis, the 4x2 and 4x4 Utes hold 16.97% of the passenger vehicle market and even some of those are Falcon/Commodore based still.

By comparison, SUV's hold a 39.61% share and even the small passenger car segment holds a larger share than the Utes with 20.25% of the market.

I know it seems to me on my early morning commute that they are the only things on the road but the facts tell me differently.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 06-11-2016 at 09:34 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #73
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
What range of vehicles?

Cab anyway.
In one breath you bag them & the next you endorse them. which is it?

As the title of this thread says, they are becoming the new Aussie family cars with good reasons for them been chosen!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #74
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What range of vehicles?

Cab anyway.
So you get upset about the mentions of your cars but you have been bagging out the car choice of many owners on this forum . Not only that but making extremely unfair and unrealistic generalisations about what we are like as people. Plenty of other car choices out there to keep you happy champ, don't get so upset about whats suited for others.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #75
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Seems to be a definate love/ hate for these things. I'm not criticising peoples right to buy these vehicles but the vehicle itself, we've had these things a fleet vehicles since the courier days and I can't say they've evolved much from there other than the electronic luxuries and the door chime (yes that old chestnut again)
I can understand the practicality of them, I do drive a wagon as a daily but in my younger years still managed to get a couple of MTB's on the back of the Escort with a folding bike rack, we'd get a fair way into the bush ok not the remote areas but thats what the bikes were for, we'd still make it back with gravel rash and the odd broken bone.
I have commuting rights to our one but leave it in the compound, thats how fed up and uninspired I am with it...
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #76
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Seems to be a definate love/ hate for these things. I'm not criticising peoples right to buy these vehicles but the vehicle itself, we've had these things a fleet vehicles since the courier days and I can't say they've evolved much from there other than the electronic luxuries and the door chime (yes that old chestnut again)
I can understand the practicality of them, I do drive a wagon as a daily but in my younger years still managed to get a couple of MTB's on the back of the Escort with a folding bike rack, we'd get a fair way into the bush ok not the remote areas but thats what the bikes were for, we'd still make it back with gravel rash and the odd broken bone.
I have commuting rights to our one but leave it in the compound, thats how fed up and uninspired I am with it...
I go way back to the old Land rovers, Jeeps & Toyota's days, I can tell you these new modern 4WD Twin Cab Utes have evolved by leaps & bounds into great vehicles, of course the ride & comfort won't be the same as passenger sedan but they do come bloody close.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #77
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I go way back to the old Land rovers, Jeeps & Toyota's days, I can tell you these new modern 4WD Twin Cab Utes have evolved by leaps & bounds into great vehicles, of course the ride & comfort won't be the same as passenger sedan but they do come bloody close.
Even the pov pack work hacks are leaps ahead of what they used to be. My pov pack ute has stability control, bluetooth and brakes, lightyears ahead of the 2010 Sr hilux the firm also owns (4l hilux is way quicker in a straight line, but is dodgy as in the wet, and has a loyalty card for the smash repairers). Due to the lack of a decent large wagon that doesn't carry the price premium of a large suv (I used that term to cover all bases) a dual cab fills the hole, and you don't have to worry about damaging the carpet in the back. Also, the dirt from things like bikes, or the stink from bags of manure don't make it into the cabin. Not so much a luxury, but I have the benifit of having a single cab ute thats a work car that I use to cart around bigger things if need to on the weekends, but otherwise use the family sedans. The sedans are more inspiring to drive, but I can understand why people go for the middle ground dual cabs to find a happy medium
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #78
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I know it seems to me on my early morning commute that they are the only things on the road but the facts tell me differently.

Cheers
Russ
All the tradies off to work.

I drove from the NSW Central Coast to Sydney at 5am a few weeks back and thought I was the only person on the road not in a Ute.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #79
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What range of vehicles?

Cab anyway.
I agree there are hardly any decent new cars around. If you want a boring hatch or sedan, or an onroad SUV you have a lot to choose from. But for interesting and fun cars there are hardly anything that the average joe can afford to buy new. This is why I like my Ranger. Comparing it to many other new cars it's great. It can handle a large variety of my wants and needs. Clearly many others feel this way since they are so common.
If I could afford a second 'fun' car, I would love to park something less practical next to the Ranger, but until then I will choose practicality as my first choice.
As for arrogant, tough guys owning them, all you have to do is look at the main buyer of these vehicles. Males usually aged from early 20's to middle aged. If any demographic is going to have a large amount of tough guys it's this age group. This age group also love powerful, cheap, large sedans. This is why we see so many clowns in Falcon's and Commodores, especially the second hand ones.

Quote:
we've had these things a fleet vehicles since the courier days and I can't say they've evolved much from there other than the electronic luxuries and the door chime (yes that old chestnut again)
We have a 2012 Hilux at work and my 2014 Ranger feels so much nicer than it. More power and torque. Better steering, nicer interior pretty much everything. Leaf suspension is always going to be leaf suspension, but overall I can't see how they haven't improved in 10 or more years.
And of course the top spec models feel much nicer than the usual fleet focused base model.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #80
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
People aren't turned off Falcon and Commodore because they are big and thirsty. It's because they have no versatility. A dual cab can do so much more and is more suitable to peoples lives these days. If I were a new car buyer I would consider a dual cab. I wouldn't consider a Falcon if it was still available.

The typical "thinks he is king *****" driver that tries to push his way through traffic sounds like your typical SS owner.
I kind of noticed an idea being expressed in that post that it's "bad" to no longer have Commodores and Falcons is because "in years to come" people who can't afford new cars won't be able to buy one second hand...

Umm....that's not how car companies make money...and they're not going to ignore falling sales and profits and keep making unpopular cars just to suit enthusiasts and second hand car buyers in ten years time....
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #81
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
People aren't turned off Falcon and Commodore because they are big and thirsty. It's because they have no versatility. A dual cab can do so much more and is more suitable to peoples lives these days. If I were a new car buyer I would consider a dual cab. I wouldn't consider a Falcon if it was still available.

The typical "thinks he is king *****" driver that tries to push his way through traffic sounds like your typical SS owner.

I was agreeing with you until you got personal.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #82
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We just spent a week in Tassie and we hired a Kluger. Not a ute I know but it rides high, and I now understand why people buy these sized cars. Loads of room, seriously if you haven't already go and sit in the back of one of these things, sit up nice and high, reasonable punch from the motor, although not exciting to drive and it handles rough dirt tracks with ease. And plenty of gadgets inside too.

We decided we will be buying a dual cab (most likely Ranger) to sit alongside the MPS (so we at least have something fun to drive).
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #83
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien
but I still think buying a 4wd you'll never take off the road is just a waste, both of a 4wd and of money.
For those considering this issue, Ranger & Hilux sell "Hi-Rider" variants, & I'm sure the others do too. On the Hilux this is at least a $4k saving over 4x4, but you only get a pegga diff & I've had two "oh-****" moments driving through boggy areas. The rest of the time I'm enjoying the benefits of 4x4 ride height & suspension plus the extra $4k in my balance. These diffs can be fitted with lockers (mech/air/e-locker) thanks to aftermarket support also.

Hilux has SR & SR5 Hi-Riders.

Ranger has XL & XLT Hi-Riders. I think the XL Hi-Rider is a pegga, but the XLT Hi-Rider comes with a lockable diff. A mate has a PX1 XL Hi-Rider as his work/family bus & it's awesome, albeit slooow as it's always loaded up & is a 2.2 auto.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #84
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of people mentioned the Hilux petrol 4.0V6 - it's a pretty grunty motor and has heaps of character on sand. There are no V8s at present in dual cabs, maybe that one could be supercharged? It would be a laugh on the sand. Dual cabs not my cup of tea, as cannot stow the longer of my surfboards. But I can see why others like them, it's the same reason families have bought Prados for eons - the rugged practicality. And the tax, that's a great benefit. But while we are there, why not let's go the whole hog - import the F Series from the States?
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #85
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

For the life of me I cant see how you can call these family cars?
I've ridden in the back of a modern hilux and a Triton there's no way in hell you could fit a decent baby/booster seat and be able to do the belt up unless your the size of a pixie!(Im talking the adult doing up the belt for the child)
Im not tall by any means or a beachball fatty, but I am heavy built(107kg at 179cm)... two blokes my size would just barely fit in the back there's no way you would get a 3rd person in there and the front seat must be put well forward for me to fit.
I easily fit in the rear a proper sized family sedan... without the seat forwards in fact Im more comfy in the back than the front of my "family car" FG.

I will agree with others as a proper ute 4x4 dual cabs(ie for carrying a load)they are crap... cant fit SFA in them without towing a trailer and the load center height makes them unstable compared to a real ute(ie tray back 2x4).

IMHO Saying they are the jack of all trades is BS, yes they do a bit of everything but nothing as good as the vehicle they are impersonating.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #86
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
For the life of me I cant see how you can call these family cars?
I've ridden in the back of a modern hilux and a Triton there's no way in hell you could fit a decent baby/booster seat and be able to do the belt up unless your the size of a pixie!(Im talking the adult doing up the belt for the child)
Im not tall by any means or a beachball fatty, but I am heavy built(107kg at 179cm)... two blokes my size would just barely fit in the back there's no way you would get a 3rd person in there and the front seat must be put well forward for me to fit.
I easily fit in the rear a proper sized family sedan... without the seat forwards in fact Im more comfy in the back than the front of my "family car" FG.

I will agree with others as a proper ute 4x4 dual cabs(ie for carrying a load)they are crap... cant fit SFA in them without towing a trailer and the load center height makes them unstable compared to a real ute(ie tray back 2x4).

IMHO Saying they are the jack of all trades is BS, yes they do a bit of everything but nothing as good as the vehicle they are impersonating.
A better family car than a four door sedan any day of the week, unless your a boring family that does nothing, goes nowhere and doesn't have any toys/pets you need to throw in the back.

Much easier to belt the kids into the tall Ranger than a low sedan.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #87
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
They do a bit of everything = jack-of-all-trades.

What kind of impersonations are we talking about? Can you provide some examples?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #88
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Umm.

You know that's the very definition of a jack of all trades, right?

Jack of all trades, master of none?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #89
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
A better family car than a four door sedan any day of the week, unless your a boring family that does nothing, goes nowhere and doesn't have any toys/pets you need to throw in the back..
We do everything in our family sedan and manage just fine, to kill the boredom we count how many dual cabs we pass on the open road.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #90
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We do everything in our family sedan and manage just fine, to kill the boredom we count how many dual cabs we pass on the open road.
That's great that a sedan suits everything you do, but it wouldn't cut the mustard in my household hence why I no longer have one.

Don't try and tell me a double cab ute ain't a great family vehicle, it's horses for courses.
2 users like this post: