Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #31
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Countdown to the Falcons emotional end, share your feelings here

Its a sad time.
I remember growing up with ford and holden.
My dad drove: kingswood utes and sedans and wagons, eventually he switched across to ford starting with a courier twin cab and then a pk ranger and now a fg xr6 limited edition.
My mum driving an old xf fairmont sedan (later an ef that she still has and drives daily).
My pop still has his xf ute that he has had for longer than ive been alive (24 years).
My grandmother had kingswood sedan hx, then a ford telstar, then an el ghia, and now a bf mkII wagon.
I started with a hx kingswood sedan, then moved to a 88 EA fairmont ghia, and now my BA MKII ute.
My brother still has his first car vy storm ute. though before he got that he drove the old el ghia.

(I have driven everyone of those cars listed above and loved all of them)
Ford and Holden really are a family affair, in my family and im sure in many other families.
Australian made Ford and Holdens will not die when they stop manufacturing here in Australia, I will continue buying older models and driving them hopefully until im dead.

The worst part about Ford and Holden ending here is not the death of the falcon and commodore, But the unemployment of so many hard workers who built every single one our beloved pride and joys.
I sincerely hope that these hard workers and loyal employees dont fall on hard times when Ford and Holden finally close their doors.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #32
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
It will be a pile of rust by then!
We talking about the same car? Plenty of older falcons getting around un-restored.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #33
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

The best thing is also the worst about FG-X.

Why did they have to make the best looking, and fastest falcon as the last?

A fitting send off, but demand to own one has never been higher.

I love the FGX XR8's are the first falcon that they've brought out that makes me "have to have one" the others have have been "yeah if I could afford it".

But I have to have one!

And alot of people think the same. They are flying off showroom floors at heavily inflated prices, and ford wont move the shut-down date to accommodate demand.

I want one new. Not second hand. New. My time is running out, and I dont have the money for one yet. Maybe this time next year.

Best I start selling everything I own.

Anyone want a 1986 Model Girlfriend? One owner, owned 10 years, low K's, increased bonnet buldges from factory (Not dealer fitted or modified). Slight whine from head, which is standard with this model but can be silenced with chocolate for short periods. Reluctant sale.

No test pilots or test rides.

PM me if interested.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 04-10-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #34
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Could always start up a hire business old mate. LOL.

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

(my dad is a contractor for ford, still works there witnessing the assembly line production which he says is truly amazing to watch) i'll never forget going with my dad when the ba falcon was launched to one of the ford gate main car parks to watch all the cars being loaded onto trailers (I was around 5-6). I remember witnessing trucks full of just xr series falcons and it was an amazing sight to see, the ba falcon even made my dad get one which he still has after 12 years bought brand new. I just wish that the nameplate and manufacturing in this country would stay because the technical expertise will be lost overtime within this sector of Australia.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #36
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was brought home from hospital in my Dad's XY V8 Fairmont, remember fondly Dad's XC company cars, mostly XC 4.9 Fairmonts in various colour combinations.

Studied all the brochures from XE to EL when young, couldn't afford any of them.

Remember how tuff lowered XF's looked when new, the Turbo AIT (?) phase when Falcon six's were made to go. The Mick Webb/SVO & Brock EA's; Dad's EA Ghia.

Was overjoyed when I could finally afford an AU XR6 S3 ute with the full bodykit.

Traded it in for a BA turbo, then an FG turbo, and then finally put a deposit down on an FGX XR8. So yeah, living it while it lasts.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #37
Focused

The BA "Can't get enough of this" ad would have to be a highlight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeKFXvzPdeA

For me as a Ford fan, it was probably the first time I was properly proud of the Falcon (I became interested in cars during the AU dark ages).
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #38
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

Why did they have to make the best looking, and fastest falcon as the last?

A fitting send off, but demand to own one has never been higher.

I love the FGX XR8's are the first falcon that they've brought out that makes me "have to have one" the others have have been "yeah if I could afford it".

But I have to have one!

And alot of people think the same. They are flying off showroom floors at heavily inflated prices, and ford wont move the shut-down date to accommodate demand.

I want one new. Not second hand. New. My time is running out, and I dont have the money for one yet. Maybe this time next year.

Best I start selling everything I own.

Anyone want a 1986 Model Girlfriend? One owner, owned 10 years, low K's, increased bonnet buldges from factory (Not dealer fitted or modified). Slight whine from head, which is standard with this model but can be silenced with chocolate for short periods. Reluctant sale.

PM me if interested.
This is dead set funniest thing I have read in ages. I've got one two you up for swaps,
by the way pm sent if not already sold.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #39
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post

For me as a Ford fan, it was probably the first time I was properly proud of the Falcon (I became interested in cars during the AU dark ages).
Same for me dead set proud, can watch that ad 10 times and still get goose bumps.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44 AM   #40
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^
Same here just watching it now makes me want to keep my Ba lol.
I don't think too many other nameplates have captivated so many people like the falcon and commodore have. No such thing as a no aussie made commodore just another imported, badge engineered pile of carp to me.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 01:09 AM   #41
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

Have to disagree.

"I reckon we should take em for a run on the salt lake" ad was the best.

They played it during the 2002 Bathurst iirc and it never got old even though they played it every break.

The next day at school my Ford mad mates had all been watching it together would all say "SHUT UP" after the bloke said that just to hear the V8 being given a boot-full. Every time it came on.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #42
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

PM me if interested.
If she needs new rings than you can keep her!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #43
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:

For those of us 30+ years of age, most would remember the AU's release. The EL was a pretty decent looking car, so for all but the most ardent, one-eyed Falcon lovers, the series I AU came as a complete shock. It was a terrible looking car in Forte spec - what, with its shark-toothed grill and all.

Then there was the disappointment six-months later when Holden and HSV when bang, bang, bang with the super-potent LS1 which propelled a base-spec VT Commodore V8 a good couple of tenths quicker than the new Tickford TS50 which cost twice as much. Then when the GTS 300 arrived, even I started to question my blue oval loyalties.

While the T3 was a very good car and one which managed to completely bridge the gap between Ford and Holden at the time to all but the GTS, it was still tainted by its predecessors within the AU model. Ford needed something BIG to pique the public's interest in Falcons once more.

Enter the BA Falcon. Those teaser campaigns were really interesting and helped whet the appetite as a Ford fan. I even remember going to an AFL match at Telstra Dome (as it was known back then) between Geelong and Essendon and Ford reps were handing out "teaser" brochures outside the oval gates. I was with a couple of Holden fans at the time who were quite impressed by the particular marketing Ford had adopted.

Then, upon release of the best looking Falcon ever, Ford backed it all up with the best marketing that I can remember Ford ever conducting. Slow Jam by New Order was the perfect song for what they were trying to achieve. It seems like only yesterday when the BA was released and I didn't even have to look at the YouTube clip to re-live the ad or the song in my head. It was a great period in time because all the hope that was laid bare appeared to be coming to fruition.

I still own a BA Falcon to this day and I vow to own a Falcon until the day my kids lay me to rest.

Last edited by Cobra; 05-10-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #44
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Have to disagree.

"I reckon we should take em for a run on the salt lake" ad was the best.

They played it during the 2002 Bathurst iirc and it never got old even though they played it every break.

The next day at school my Ford mad mates had all been watching it together would all say "SHUT UP" after the bloke said that just to hear the V8 being given a boot-full. Every time it came on.
This ad. Forgot the link

http://youtu.be/NG97IFn-sao
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #45
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Both ads are sensational, really alerting all to the blue oval.

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #46
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "can't get enough of this" ad is easily the best Ford ad ever.

This ad was alright aswell.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqr2-GZwv0o

I had forgotten about these ones, back when Ford knew V8 supercars existed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucj344rryLY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMLJpev9A4
I think the second one is a clever play on the 2005 championship.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member

Last edited by turbo4; 05-10-2015 at 09:42 AM.
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #47
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Enter the BA Falcon. Those teaser campaigns were really interesting and helped whet the appetite as a Ford fan. I even remember going to an AFL match at Telstra Dome (as it was known back then) between Geelong and Essendon and Ford reps were handing out "teaser" brochures outside the oval gates. I was with a couple of Holden fans at the time who were quite impressed by the particular marketing Ford had adopted.

Then, upon release of the best looking Falcon ever, Ford backed it all up with the best marketing that I can remember Ford ever conducting. Slow Jam by New Order was the perfect song for what they were trying to achieve. It seems like only yesterday when the BA was released and I didn't even have to look at the YouTube clip to re-live the ad or the song in my head. It was a great period in time because all the hope that was laid bare appeared to be coming to fruition.

I still own a BA Falcon to this day and I vow to own a Falcon until the day my kids lay me to rest.
Ah the days when Ford AUS was actually interested in surviving. Now they are basically suicidal. What's with their pathetic recent marketing campaign with a guy standing on the edge of a cliff with his hands in the air (in dismay), with GO FURTHER written below. What on earth were they thinking? "Go further (off the edge of the cliff??)"
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #48
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad days ahead, we live on a island , why didn't we block off the rest of the world and just have our own manufacturing?, bring on 1915 in a hot tub time machine.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #49
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this advert goes goods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPvuH_1KPM
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #50
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Raised on a diet of Falcons as the main family car for as long as I can remember.
Dad being a die hard blue blooded Ford man, instilled in me the same tribal allegiance.
I remember watching every ATCC race before swapping to V8 Supercars.
When old enough to learn, I had the L plates thrown onto dad's manual XF.

Though it wasn't until my second car that I had my own Falcon, a BA, sucked in by the brilliant marketing strategy of Ford (Geoff Polities). It was a bitter sweet relationship, a car I enjoyed but hated at the same time, comfortable to drive, power to boot but plagued by issues I'd never seen in our previous Falcons (XB, XD, XF, EL). Sold it, moved to a BF2 XR8 along as did my father, but still couldn't gel.

In the end I stayed true to my Ford allegiance and moved onto the hot hatch scene and haven't look back, though, my next car may not have the blue oval on it. It all depends on what is on the market at the time.
As for my father, after near 40 years of Falcons, he's also moved off and taken up the ST Focus. Still a Ford man but lost the love of Falcon.

In the end, whether it was penny pinching, a planned wind down or a lack of care, the Falcon was killed by Ford's lack of innovation and quality.

I don't feel anything of the Falcon going, sure, sad to see a product end after so long but it happens.
As long as Ford keep delivering decent performance cars then I am not fussed what model it is.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:10 AM   #51
CQB-241
Car tragic

My experience directly was XRGT, BAGhiaV8, XWGT and FGXXR8. Not counting the SYTTG 7 seater that was near new. As such, I've been spoilt.

Plenty of experience as a passenger and borrowing the folks Falcon-derived cars, all Fairlanes; ZAV8, ZGV8, ZL6 and NA6. Plus dad's brother has has had a string of EA, EB, ED and EF mechanic loan cars that hid their age and decrepitude well.

Would have owned more than 1 newbie, but it's taken for now for the dealership experience to be tolerable enough to buy new. Had tried previously on 4 occasions with EF/EL variants and walked back to the used market.
CQB-241 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 01:07 AM   #52
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

I must say re watching the old Ford ads, The b series Falcons are still the best advertising Ford has ever done. Its sad that they all went down hill after that. Havent had a good ford ad since.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #53
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
The "can't get enough of this" ad is easily the best Ford ad ever.

This ad was alright aswell.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqr2-GZwv0o

I had forgotten about these ones, back when Ford knew V8 supercars existed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucj344rryLY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMLJpev9A4
I think the second one is a clever play on the 2005 championship.
Can't say I ever saw these ads, they are actually pretty damn good.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #54
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUbgfWTptoU

Glad I have my GTF locked away.

Before that, in terms of blue oval - in 1995 as a 19 year old I picked up a mint condition 1975 Mk1 2 Dr Escort with 2 litre pinto that demobilished 351 v8 SEs and shortly after that, an ex-chaser XD 351 in 1997, Top Loader, 9 inch which was all sorts of fun. Fast forward to 2010 and I picked up one of the first GTEs with the 335 motor (BLWN FPV) and last October (Happy 1st Birthday on the 15th of this month) I picked up the GTF (GTF3FIVE1).

It is a sad state of affairs indeed with demise of Australian produced, RWD family sedans that is for sure and if you can stretch to grab one of the last, do so.
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #55
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dismay at loss of manufacturing industry, because as History grad I know what happens to Australia when all it does is primary industry/raw materials when the cycle changes against it. I know we can all borrow to flip houses to each other for a while, but the IMF will be knocking at the door eventually.

For Falcon and its platform, the country is losing one more feature that makes it unique. The cars were big, simple, with reliable drivetrain, with available parts in a vast land. I was proud of the indigenous development once I drove them. Our family shifted out from Europe and drove Euro cars until the lack of parts/cost of servicing/mechanical failure in Aussie conditions made us see the light. And the Falcon's development for our market - even today new cars are imported with air con that is woefully inadequate on some models: Falcons and Territories have always been superb in this feature. Compared to the Commodores of similar vintage, we noticed the superior engineering put into the car from EBII (and ED with its refinement as well) through AU and BA-F. Holden had to do a completely Australian platform (VE) to catch up to what Ford Australia's engineers had evolved over decades.

First experience was a ZF Fairlane drifting the gravel around Esperance way. Then owned XW Fairmont V8 wagon (this was the one that turned me from my Kingswoods, light years more refined) then ED Gli Classic sedan, then XW GS, then SY Territory, then ED XR8 Sprint. I'll never forget a red BAII XR6 sedan used for work in SA about 2005, it was treated with rock star gazes wherever it went and I just couldn't figure that out. Superb car.

After that it's been a really dismaying time in the FG years, once it became obvious Ford was deliberately killing its unique indigenous heritage and for all intents and purposes trying to become 'Toyota without a good advertising team'. Now they both have a FWD hatch and a dual cab and a midsize FWD and to be honest I'd shop where the resale was better as I see no differentiation in vehicle type. There's no Unique Selling Point for Ford in Australia any more.

So I've done my mourning and being interested mainly in the unique I6/ZF/RWD/AWD platform and how these drive, I can see Jag preparing inline Ingenium 6's for their XE, XF, XJ and F-Pace ranges. The Jag parallel is very poignant: in its glory days Jaguar Cars used the inline DOHC XK sizes, IRS, 4 wheel disc brakes and were known for their handling - 'space, grace and pace'. Much the same ingredients as the current Falcon, which is the 'Australian Jaguar'. We will never know how good we had it until it's gone.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #56
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Dismay at loss of manufacturing industry, because as History grad I know what happens to Australia when all it does is primary industry/raw materials when the cycle changes against it. I know we can all borrow to flip houses to each other for a while, but the IMF will be knocking at the door eventually.

For Falcon and its platform, the country is losing one more feature that makes it unique. The cars were big, simple, with reliable drivetrain, with available parts in a vast land. I was proud of the indigenous development once I drove them. Our family shifted out from Europe and drove Euro cars until the lack of parts/cost of servicing/mechanical failure in Aussie conditions made us see the light. And the Falcon's development for our market - even today new cars are imported with air con that is woefully inadequate on some models: Falcons and Territories have always been superb in this feature. Compared to the Commodores of similar vintage, we noticed the superior engineering put into the car from EBII (and ED with its refinement as well) through AU and BA-F. Holden had to do a completely Australian platform (VE) to catch up to what Ford Australia's engineers had evolved over decades.

First experience was a ZF Fairlane drifting the gravel around Esperance way. Then owned XW Fairmont V8 wagon (this was the one that turned me from my Kingswoods, light years more refined) then ED Gli Classic sedan, then XW GS, then SY Territory, then ED XR8 Sprint. I'll never forget a red BAII XR6 sedan used for work in SA about 2005, it was treated with rock star gazes wherever it went and I just couldn't figure that out. Superb car.

After that it's been a really dismaying time in the FG years, once it became obvious Ford was deliberately killing its unique indigenous heritage and for all intents and purposes trying to become 'Toyota without a good advertising team'. Now they both have a FWD hatch and a dual cab and a midsize FWD and to be honest I'd shop where the resale was better as I see no differentiation in vehicle type. There's no Unique Selling Point for Ford in Australia any more.

So I've done my mourning and being interested mainly in the unique I6/ZF/RWD/AWD platform and how these drive, I can see Jag preparing inline Ingenium 6's for their XE, XF, XJ and F-Pace ranges. The Jag parallel is very poignant: in its glory days Jaguar Cars used the inline DOHC XK sizes, IRS, 4 wheel disc brakes and were known for their handling - 'space, grace and pace'. Much the same ingredients as the current Falcon, which is the 'Australian Jaguar'. We will never know how good we had it until it's gone.
Very good read and some very true words. Imagine if the USA lost there Mustang or there F truck, The whole world would stop for the yanks.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #57
Spurious

All our fords will become instantly rarer & ultimately more expensive & valuable in the very near future.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #58
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I was conceived in the back of a ZD Fairlane, so I guess that's the start of my Ford journey!

I don't remember the handful of Fairlanes my parents owned back in the early years, but by the time I can remember the cars we had, Dad was driving a 69 Corona and Mum a 73 Valiant Wagon. In 1993, my parents decided to move from Victoria to the Gold Coast, but take a good 3 to 4 months driving up the east coast of Australia. Name any decent location along the eastern seaboard, and we probably stayed there in the caravan park.

Before we left for the trip, we found a good condition caravan that suited our little family, and then the hunt was on for a suitable car. Dad started getting the free car catalogues, and I found myself drawn to the Fords. I learned the difference between the models, understood the Z, X, and E series, and we found ourselves looking at ZL and NA Fairlanes. The focus then shifted to LTD's - because why not? We went to look at a 77 model, but the rust was starting to get to it and he wanted too much money. Just when we were about to give up hope, we came across an 85 FE LTD in Crystal Mint, and it was awesome. I sat in the back and felt very comfortable - I couldn't even touch the seat in front with my legs stretched out. The car presented beautifully, and we put the deposit down on the spot. Turns out another guy had an 86 LTD that was written off, and he offered $4K more for it, but the seller was a man of his word and we got the car.

To travel in that car for long distances in that sort of comfort, we felt like pimps! Comfy velour seats, funky digital dash, ample space and every creature comfort, what was not to love? We stuck a Hayman Reese towbar on it and spent the next 4 months travelling up the coast. It is the single biggest event in my childhood, and I look back fondly at it. Guess that is where my love of the big Fords comes from...

When we got up to Queensland, the job Dad had lined up disappeared, and we did it tough for a few years. We looked at moving back, but the partner of the firm he worked for colluded with the secretary and siphoned out all of the funds from what was a successful business with major corporations as clients. No way forward, no way back, so the LTD was sold and an 85 Bluebird went in its place. I would ride past the local Ford dealer, looking at the NC Sportmans, the ED Falcon, and even had posters on my walls. The love for the Fords never went away, but it did subside to a simmer while I finished up school, and got my licence.

Moeny was tight, and I was able to get my hands on a Sigma with a blown engine and bald tyres. Cue a local Sigma with lots of rust, but sweet mags, new rubber and a smooth 2.0 that I had my eye on (plates disappeared one day, I was there with cash the next), and $300 later, I had my first car. The car got worse as I only used Unleaded in it, and started blowing a lot of smoke. I got defected because one of my tyres was bald, and the headlights stopped working. I got two pollution notices in the mail from complaints, and even considering 'borrowing' the wheels from an abandoned Sigma on the highway - I couldn't do it.

Then I got a decent paying job, and could afford to get a loan. My dormant Ford love sprang back in action, and I just had to have an LTD! I found a DA LTD that used to belong to Brisbane's Lord Mayor (even had the holes in the bumper where the flag post was mounted), and I felt like a pimp again. Got a promotion, and then decided I needed a car that was going to last the distance. I came across a 3 year old AU Fairlane with the V8, and it was mint with low kms and a fair price. We did the deal, and I felt so damn happy, the happiest I think I've ever been in a new car (I think I appreciated it more).

Cue a company car job 3 years later, and the Fairlane had to go. Company car was a BF Falcon, and the replacement was a BF MkII Falcon, both brand new but not as special as the AU. Was made redundant and needed a car, and bought an AU Fairmont. I never liked this car, probably because it was a poor version of the Fairlane I had, and this car always had some sort of problem.

2 years later, I kicked it to the curb, and got a BA Fairmont Ghia. I had always loved the BF MkII shape, but the budget didn't stretch there. Liked the car, but was never happy with it. Eventually, I got my ultimate car - BF MkII Ghia in Ego. I loved that car, it had a few kms under its belt but I felt great driving it, and I would always turn around to look at it.

By now, I had a well paying job, and was considering my first new car purchase. The GT's were on runout, but I didn't really want to spend that much money on a car, but I wasn't convinced I wanted a sporty model - I really like my comfort cruisers, and was considering a G6E (but more likely the turbo, best of both worlds). Then the FG X was rumoured, and the 5.0 S/C V8 was to come back as an XR8 at around $50K. That got my attention, and at the same time, the wife said, "No more old man cars, get something sporty". So when the announcement came out for the FG X, and I saw that the XR8 would be the same spec as an R SPEC GT, I bought the plate FGX335 within the hour and spoke to my dealer. I even went to the Falcon Fanatics day, which was phenomenal. Most people seemed to be from Melbourne, so making the trip from Queensland shows how keen I was to be there. It was everything I wanted it to be and more, and for me, it was a decent send off, the best we will likely get from FoMoCo.

After being lied to repeatedly, and experiencing that classic Ford customer service experience, fellow member Perko pointed me to a straight shooter at Gatton who hooked me up with an XR8 in the first allocation, in Smoke, and in Auto, for a reasonable price. Got some mats and a full tank of fuel thrown in, and the wait was on. I am stoked that I was able to get one of the last Falcons to roll off the line, and that I was able to stretch for it financially. Another year or so, and the outcome may have been very different.

The car has been everything I wanted and more, and in my opinion is the epitome of the best Australian design, engineering and manufacturing we have seen. I am terribly saddened that my kids will not get to experience this, but hopefully they have fond memories of Dad's old XR8 and how much fun we had in it, and all the memories. I know they will not be driving Falcons, but instead some imported buzz box that sees them get from Point A to Point B economically and safely. Me, I'll drive this thing until I can no longer drive, and it will most likely be sold by my kids to the highest bidder.

Sorry for the ramble, but I feel it's my last chance to voice how I feel before it's all over. Take one thing from over 50 years of Falcon - they made a **** load of them, and if you really want, there are enough of them around to make them your daily driver until you are old and grey, even if you are still on your P's. That is the legacy that Falcon will leave, and if you want, you can still continue to drive them for the rest of your life. There just won't be any more, or the opportunity to buy one new, like I was lucky enough to do.

Enjoy your Falcons, take pride in knowing that they were designed and made here, and that they won't be forgotten.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #59
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
I was conceived in the back of a ZD Fairlane, so I guess that's the start of my Ford journey!

I don't remember the handful of Fairlanes my parents owned back in the early years, but by the time I can remember the cars we had, Dad was driving a 69 Corona and Mum a 73 Valiant Wagon. In 1993, my parents decided to move from Victoria to the Gold Coast, but take a good 3 to 4 months driving up the east coast of Australia. Name any decent location along the eastern seaboard, and we probably stayed there in the caravan park.

Before we left for the trip, we found a good condition caravan that suited our little family, and then the hunt was on for a suitable car. Dad started getting the free car catalogues, and I found myself drawn to the Fords. I learned the difference between the models, understood the Z, X, and E series, and we found ourselves looking at ZL and NA Fairlanes. The focus then shifted to LTD's - because why not? We went to look at a 77 model, but the rust was starting to get to it and he wanted too much money. Just when we were about to give up hope, we came across an 85 FE LTD in Crystal Mint, and it was awesome. I sat in the back and felt very comfortable - I couldn't even touch the seat in front with my legs stretched out. The car presented beautifully, and we put the deposit down on the spot. Turns out another guy had an 86 LTD that was written off, and he offered $4K more for it, but the seller was a man of his word and we got the car.

To travel in that car for long distances in that sort of comfort, we felt like pimps! Comfy velour seats, funky digital dash, ample space and every creature comfort, what was not to love? We stuck a Hayman Reese towbar on it and spent the next 4 months travelling up the coast. It is the single biggest event in my childhood, and I look back fondly at it. Guess that is where my love of the big Fords comes from...

When we got up to Queensland, the job Dad had lined up disappeared, and we did it tough for a few years. We looked at moving back, but the partner of the firm he worked for colluded with the secretary and siphoned out all of the funds from what was a successful business with major corporations as clients. No way forward, no way back, so the LTD was sold and an 85 Bluebird went in its place. I would ride past the local Ford dealer, looking at the NC Sportmans, the ED Falcon, and even had posters on my walls. The love for the Fords never went away, but it did subside to a simmer while I finished up school, and got my licence.

Moeny was tight, and I was able to get my hands on a Sigma with a blown engine and bald tyres. Cue a local Sigma with lots of rust, but sweet mags, new rubber and a smooth 2.0 that I had my eye on (plates disappeared one day, I was there with cash the next), and $300 later, I had my first car. The car got worse as I only used Unleaded in it, and started blowing a lot of smoke. I got defected because one of my tyres was bald, and the headlights stopped working. I got two pollution notices in the mail from complaints, and even considering 'borrowing' the wheels from an abandoned Sigma on the highway - I couldn't do it.

Then I got a decent paying job, and could afford to get a loan. My dormant Ford love sprang back in action, and I just had to have an LTD! I found a DA LTD that used to belong to Brisbane's Lord Mayor (even had the holes in the bumper where the flag post was mounted), and I felt like a pimp again. Got a promotion, and then decided I needed a car that was going to last the distance. I came across a 3 year old AU Fairlane with the V8, and it was mint with low kms and a fair price. We did the deal, and I felt so damn happy, the happiest I think I've ever been in a new car (I think I appreciated it more).

Cue a company car job 3 years later, and the Fairlane had to go. Company car was a BF Falcon, and the replacement was a BF MkII Falcon, both brand new but not as special as the AU. Was made redundant and needed a car, and bought an AU Fairmont. I never liked this car, probably because it was a poor version of the Fairlane I had, and this car always had some sort of problem.

2 years later, I kicked it to the curb, and got a BA Fairmont Ghia. I had always loved the BF MkII shape, but the budget didn't stretch there. Liked the car, but was never happy with it. Eventually, I got my ultimate car - BF MkII Ghia in Ego. I loved that car, it had a few kms under its belt but I felt great driving it, and I would always turn around to look at it.

By now, I had a well paying job, and was considering my first new car purchase. The GT's were on runout, but I didn't really want to spend that much money on a car, but I wasn't convinced I wanted a sporty model - I really like my comfort cruisers, and was considering a G6E (but more likely the turbo, best of both worlds). Then the FG X was rumoured, and the 5.0 S/C V8 was to come back as an XR8 at around $50K. That got my attention, and at the same time, the wife said, "No more old man cars, get something sporty". So when the announcement came out for the FG X, and I saw that the XR8 would be the same spec as an R SPEC GT, I bought the plate FGX335 within the hour and spoke to my dealer. I even went to the Falcon Fanatics day, which was phenomenal. Most people seemed to be from Melbourne, so making the trip from Queensland shows how keen I was to be there. It was everything I wanted it to be and more, and for me, it was a decent send off, the best we will likely get from FoMoCo.

After being lied to repeatedly, and experiencing that classic Ford customer service experience, fellow member Perko pointed me to a straight shooter at Gatton who hooked me up with an XR8 in the first allocation, in Smoke, and in Auto, for a reasonable price. Got some mats and a full tank of fuel thrown in, and the wait was on. I am stoked that I was able to get one of the last Falcons to roll off the line, and that I was able to stretch for it financially. Another year or so, and the outcome may have been very different.

The car has been everything I wanted and more, and in my opinion is the epitome of the best Australian design, engineering and manufacturing we have seen. I am terribly saddened that my kids will not get to experience this, but hopefully they have fond memories of Dad's old XR8 and how much fun we had in it, and all the memories. I know they will not be driving Falcons, but instead some imported buzz box that sees them get from Point A to Point B economically and safely. Me, I'll drive this thing until I can no longer drive, and it will most likely be sold by my kids to the highest bidder.

Sorry for the ramble, but I feel it's my last chance to voice how I feel before it's all over. Take one thing from over 50 years of Falcon - they made a **** load of them, and if you really want, there are enough of them around to make them your daily driver until you are old and grey, even if you are still on your P's. That is the legacy that Falcon will leave, and if you want, you can still continue to drive them for the rest of your life. There just won't be any more, or the opportunity to buy one new, like I was lucky enough to do.

Enjoy your Falcons, take pride in knowing that they were designed and made here, and that they won't be forgotten.
Bloody awesome read and exactly what i was hoping to see. Peoples honest emotional opinions. So much passion and pride. Imagine how emotional some of the employees at Ford must be after working there for 30 or 40 years.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #60
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Bloody awesome read and exactly what i was hoping to see. Peoples honest emotional opinions. So much passion and pride. Imagine how emotional some of the employees at Ford must be after working there for 30 or 40 years.
Thanks, I'm blushing! Just re-read what I wrote, and it bounced around a bit, hope it wasn't too hard to follow.

A big thank you to the guys who build these amazing cars, especially the donk in the XR8 - Koli, Mick, Stevie and the rest of the crew who do an amazing job. Extra special shout out to Damian Dwyer, who spannered an awesome V8 for me that will live longer than I will. These guys are active on Facebook and some of them here, the fact that they are happy to associate with us and answer our (many) questions is greatly appreciated. So sad that their expertise will be lost next year, but I'm sure they will land on their feet with the next new opportunity.
3 users like this post: