Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #91
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HSV Clubsport R8 LSA road test

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick74GT View Post
But the GTF weighs 1835kg and the GTS 1842kg?

id love to see the dyno graph... It must put more power to the wheels for about 2 seconds and be 30 rwkw down for the rest of the graph. Otherwise how else would you explain that a heavier, 'less powerful' car puts down such superior performance numbers ? Defies physics? 12.18 is more than only a couple of tenths better. Must just have better tyres...
There are dyno graphs in another thread on here somewhere of the two cars, same dyno, same day etc. IIRC the GTS made more power and torque throughout the rev range up until about 5500-6000rpm and the GTF overtaking it at the top of the rev range
Old 20-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #92
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Manufacturers generally advertise flywheel numbers and I'm still yet to see any figures to discredit HSV despite many claims saying they don't make it.

It's not like it would be hard to do so why hasn't it been done if it is the case?
You're right. It's not possible to discredit it because it's been rated to a standard, like SAE or DIN and the results must be repeatable.
Old 13-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #93
Nathanbrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xexr6t View Post
I've personally seen 6 different LSA powered cars run over well over 20 passes at Heathcote. Not one I've seen has run faster than 13.0. The slowest run in my 335 GT was 12.9 fastest 12.6 stock everything, traction control on. They are slow junk. They can have the badge i'll take the time slip.
your obviously at the track with your eyes closed

Last edited by GasoLane; 13-05-2016 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Leave personal insults out of it.
Nathanbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #94
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xexr6t View Post
I've personally seen 6 different LSA powered cars run over well over 20 passes at Heathcote. Not one I've seen has run faster than 13.0. The slowest run in my 335 GT was 12.9 fastest 12.6 stock everything, traction control on. They are slow junk. They can have the badge i'll take the time slip.

When local manufacturing finishes down the track I'm sure a journo will blow the whistle on local manufacturer super tuning of press cars during this modern muscle car era............they will probably write a whole book on it.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 01:54 AM   #95
Hahnsgs
Banned

I test drove a LSA hsv clubsport today (auto) as well as a ss redline (auto)

My review as follows.

The hsv looks the part, idles up sounding tough and has great presence about it. Crusing around at part throttle feels very torquey. Now that the pleasantries were out the way, i mashed the throttle to the floor time and time again. From a standing start, from 40km/h, turning left out of a street etc etc.. yes it was fast but from reading all the reviews i was expecting it to be on another level to the ford 5.0 supercharged v8. In short, it isnt. From my drive, i think stock for stock the lsa clubsport is about level to a stock fpv GT335 for straight line performance. They really are about level. In many online videos you see the lsa clubsport getting away from the xr sprint models (and gts getting away from GT-F) but from driving it, im sceptical. It felt really smooth though, i could not notice the gearchange at all, just heard a faint sounding pshhhh! Sound at around 70km/h. Could not hear any supercharger whine at all. It sort of seemed like one of those cvt transmissions, i couldnt feel or hear it gear change and the revs seemed to just keep building like it was all one gear. I didnt play with the paddles on steering wheel. Its a really nice package but it costs a whopping $87k!!

Then jumped in the ss redline keen to compare at almost $30k cheaper. The interior is very similar to clubsport less some dial near the gearlever and seats are different. The steering felt nicer in the ss redline, nice n tight and responsive. Felt like a lighter car. Giving the SS full throttle it goes very well and sounds good. Im sure the lsa clubsport is quicker against the stopwatch but from the drivers seat it feels marginal at least to about 100km/h. Doesnt feel like another 100kw and 100nm under the hood. Maybe after 120km/h the clubsport would really get moving I dont know. The ls3 has plenty torque just cruising around. For the extra $30k for the clubsport, i dont think i would pay it. The ss redline felt only marginally behind in a straight line, steered better and actually sounded better. If i paid to supercharge a redline id be dissapointed if it performed like the lsa clubsport. I think the clubsport lsa is worth $70-75k to buy it over the redline.

Sitting in both the lsa and redline, the interior is nice but in many of the reviews give more praise than is due. I actually think the fpv fg/fgx interior looks more classy, it isnt as busy with so many contrasting lines and materials, different size and style of buttone and levers etc.. fpv Fg/ fgx interior is much simpler but classic and will age better. The holden hsv interior feels a little boy racer, with large hsv / ss stitching, suede, chrome and dark plastic bits, different type/size of buttons everywhere, its still nice but more sporty than classic. Both falcon and holden/hsv interiors have all the essential bits, i like both in different ways.

The lsa clubsport seems like a great package, all the gizmo features of the vf2 ss, but with the performance matching the ford xr8 / GT, but for $87k, its just too much money over the redline. I could never pay it.

You would think people pay for the lsa clubsport over the redline mainly for the supercharged performance, but it isnt a huge leap up and only line ball to what you can buy in fords last xr8 for $55k. Maybe even xr6 turbo would match it at $45-50k.

As these cars (xr6t/xr8) cannot be purchased anymore, i think the redline is the better buy over the clubsport lsa.

Last edited by Hahnsgs; 23-12-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Hahnsgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2016, 12:03 AM   #96
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed, that's why I recently purchased a Redline! Mine goes very well with just a OTR intake, Genie Tri-y headers and 200 cell cats and tune and she pulled 282rwkw and just 687nm of torque with 530kms on the tap. Not too bad for a fresh LS3.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #97
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnsgs View Post
Giving the SS full throttle it goes very well and sounds good. Im sure the lsa clubsport is quicker against the stopwatch but from the drivers seat it feels marginal at least to about 100km/h. Doesnt feel like another 100kw and 100nm under the hood. Maybe after 120km/h the clubsport would really get moving I dont know. The ls3 has plenty torque just cruising around.
The LSA must have been very ordinary because the LS3 in the Redlines are pretty docile out of the box for low down torque as far as I’m concerned.

But most respectable performance cars are reasonably quick to 100km/h these days so unless it was a 4 sec or less car you wouldn’t really notice much of a seat of the pant feel from the LSA until it started to hammer.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #98
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Agreed, that's why I recently purchased a Redline! Mine goes very well with just a OTR intake, Genie Tri-y headers and 200 cell cats and tune and she pulled 282rwkw and just 687nm of torque with 530kms on the tap. Not too bad for a fresh LS3.
Think I'll be doing similar to mine, though not till she's got a few more K's on the clock, I can live with the std power till then.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post