Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Drive's 2016 Hits and Misses - The Biggest Surprises - The Something Specials - The Biggest Letdowns

Quote:
2016 Hits and Misses: Biggest Surprise

The past year threw a couple of curveballs that we weren't expecting.

19 December 2016

The Team Drive

See link below for video

Andrew Maclean: Alfa Romeo Giulia QV

Because it is ... well, actually very, very good. It looks great and, after a tyre-smoking preview at Fiat's Ballocco proving ground, it might just be the best driver's car in its class.

Stephen Ottley: Subaru Impreza

While it's not really surprise that Subaru has made a good car but the leap forward the next generation Impreza offers took me aback when I drove it in Japan.

The level of design, presentation and the quality of its fit and finish is a massive step up from the current car. It looks and feels like a premium car inside. The chassis felt well sorted too on my initial test, so good in fact it the overall package was somewhat let down by an underwhelming powertrain.

David McCowen: Holden Spark

The new Holden Spark is evidence General Motors knows how to build an excellent small car after all. GM has been responsible for some fairly average vehicles in recent years, but the new Spark is fun to drive, with excellent tech and strong value attributes that should put it on every city car buyer's shortlist.

Mark Short: Ram 2500

The American pick-ups are imported into Australia then converted to right-hand drive by ASV (American Special Vehicles) - a joint-venture between Ateco Automotive and the Walkinshaw Automotive Group. The conversion is second to none and factory backed by Ram. The truck pulls like a tractor but drives like a SUV.

Kez Casey: Lexus LC 500 Coupe

Lexus pulled back the covers on its production-ready LC coupe in March this year, and though the shape was familiar from the earlier LF-LC concept, the fact that the jaw-dropping two-door stayed true to its concept forebear surprised industry experts and the general public alike.

This most un-Lexus-like flagship coupe could be the brand's most convincing product since the V10-powered LFA and proves that Lexus is in no way prepared to sit quietly and allow more senior prestige competitors to steal the limelight.

Peter McKay: Rolls-Royce Wraith Black Badge

Expecting a big, lard-arsed trundler, tizzed-up superficially, instead I got a big, fastback coupe that weighed as much as an oversized SUV and yet went hard thanks to a 465kW 6.6-litre twin-turbo V12, and relished being punted around a racetrack. The driver-focussed Wraith Black Label, the fastest and most powerful RR, is bolder and edgier and pitched at self-made movers and entrepreneurs who don't blink at a $745,000 price tag. Yes, reality did give perceptions a big heave.

Toby Hagon: Holden Spark and Audi A4

The new Spark was certainly a welcome surprise, although the Audi A4 more so. Compared with its fiercest rivals, the Mercedes C-Class and BMW 3-Series, the A4 had previously felt it was a step behind. But this latest model proved how much of a leap it's made.

Stephen Corby: Audi A8

It's coming, and it will drive itself (although probably not in Australia). Audi's announcement that the new A8, on sale in 2017, will offer full "hands-off, eyes-off" automation left many of us with our jaws resting on our shoelaces.

We knew the technology was out there, but Audi's determination to be first, and willingness to accept legal responsibility for any accidents that may happen while its software is in control, have shifted the playing field forever. The future isn't just coming, it's here.

Cameron McGavin: Ford Mustang

I was unlucky enough to log seat time in the last Mustang to be sold in Australia, an absolute train-wreck of a car, so wasn't in raptures about the return of the franchise. The new one has its rubbishy elements but its mix of wild looks, V8 go, half-decent driving and sharp value is quite likeable. Good, even.

David Morley: Lexus GS F

It should have been blancmange. At the very least, with its 5.0-litre V8, very fast blancmange. But it's not. It should be giving M3s and such a hard time. If only it were prettier.

Jonathan Hawley: Audi R8 Spyder?

It might sound a tad dismissive not to expect much from an R8 Spyder V10 on approach, but really? Do we really need an Audi clone of a Lamborghini Huracan, and one that's had a can opener taken to the roof for extra poseur value? Maybe not, but with mountains of speed and fury, a Tarzan-like grip on the tarmac, the option of convertible freedom and a ridiculously easygoing demeanor at lower speeds the R8 Spyder adds up to surprisingly good fun.

Daniela Intili: Ford Focus RS

I don't think you can appreciate just how good this car is until you take it for a spin on the track. It's like Clark Kent and superman. I have a new found admiration for this hot hatch.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2...12-gt9me9.html

Quote:
2016 Hits and Misses: Something Special

If money was no option, this is what we'd have in our garages.

18 December 2016

The Drive Team

Andrew MacLean: Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupe

What's not to admire about a muscle car of epic proportions dressed in a tailored suit? It is so full character at any speed and challenging yet engaging to drive at full speed. It's a brute of thing, and I love it!

Stephen Ottley: Porsche 911 GT3 RS

There were some standout cars I was lucky enough to drive in 2016 - the Ferrari F12berlinetta, McLaren 675LT and even the Ford Focus RS hot hatch. But the Porsche stood out above all others. Yes, there are faster and more powerful sports cars, but nothing I have driven can match the sheer enjoyment and engagement you get from the GT3 RS.

David McCowen: Audi R8 V10 Plus

There's nothing quite like the deep-chested roar of a thoroughbred performance car with a naturally-aspirated engine, a dying breed that won't be around for much longer. Kudos to Audi for keeping the dream alive with its incredible V10-powered R8 supercar; while it's not as quick as equivalent models from Porsche or Ferrari, that screaming 5.2-litre motor represents the best engine note on the road and a feel-good experience few cars can match.

Mark Short: Porsche 911 Turbo S

I'm torn between the Porsche 911 GT3 RS we drove earlier in the year or the 911 Turbo S we drove only a few weeks ago; both are very different but unbelievable machines. For its diversity from mild to completely and utterly wild I think I'll pick the Turbo S.

Kez Casey: BMW M2

It's hard to pick 'something special' in a year that includes mind-blowing highlights like the Bugatti Chiron, but for Australian motorists the most special thing they can lay their hands on comes with a surprisingly realistic price tag. The BMW M2 delivers all the thrills of an old-school M car, with sharp handling, plenty of power, and a delicious soundtrack.

Ditching the multi-adjustable suspension settings of the bigger M4 coupe, the M2 simply packs a wide-track stance gifting it with brilliant cornering prowess while (purists rejoice) there's also a meaty six-speed manual available in an age when performance automatics seem to be taking over the world. Now that's special!

Peter McKay: Porsche 911 Carrera S

A year ago, I was smitten by the new Cayman GT4, which superseded my previous bestie, the enduring 911.. Call me fickle, but now I'm back loving the latest 911 S and its gloriously seamless twin-turbo urge, ridiculous levels of grip, tactile steering and stunning stopping performance. Toss in an orchestral Wall of Sound, and this is my special drive for 2016. Only the price makes me wince.

Toby Hagon: Ferrari 488 Spider

Mostly because of that engine. The 3.9-litre turbocharged V8 is phenomenal at any speed. The good looks and superb handling are a bonus.

Stephen Corby: Ferrari 488 Spider

Lots of cars are fast, but Ferrari's 488 has pretty much redefined that term for me, with the kind of giant leap forward that is best described with a single statistic - zero to 200km/h in 8.7 seconds (or 8.3 if you buy the sensible, coupe GTB version).

The speed is heart-startling, and would fibrillate you every time you drove it, but the design and the quality, particularly the interior and that lovely folding metal roof, are what takes it to another level of special. Roof down in this thing, on the right road... life doesn't get better. And I'm only $526,888 short of owning one.

Cameron McGavin: Porsche 718 Boxster S

Santa can wheel this expression of driving nirvana under my tree this or any Christmas. I don't care that it sounds like an old Volkswagen because that's what all Porsches once sounded like and I used to drive an old Volkswagen.

David Morley: A McLaren

McLaren 570GT Launch 2016 Tenerife 2016 McLaren 570GT.

Any McLaren. Yes, even the entry-level (but still $350,000) 540C. As the Porsche 911 gets bigger and bigger, I'm increasingly drawn to the McLaren ethos.

Jonathan Hawley: Ferrari GTC4 Lusso

No question, for me it has to be the Ferrari GTC4 Lusso even though for most onlookers this elongated wagon-style coupe is probably not Maranello's most desirable effort. Yet with twice the presence of a Porsche Panamera (not to mention costing double the bucks), a simply gorgeous interior, a comfy ride and a proper V12 it can be beautiful as well as big. After a memorable drive across a shockingly narrow mountain pass in the Dolomites, I can tell you it is extremely quick, straight line or crooked.

Daniela Intili: Porsche 911 Carrera S and Audi R8 V10 Plus

I know I'm cheating here but sorry I just can't choose. I love them both. Special mention to the Porsche 911 Carrera which was crowned 2016 Drive's Best Performance car and a worthy winner but the Audi R8 is a phenomenal supercar that costs more than my small unit.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2...ticleResults11

Quote:
2016 Hits and Misses: Biggest Letdown

Some cars in 2016 promised so much, but failed to deliver.

20 December 2016

The Drive Team

Andrew Maclean: Ford Mustang

Perhaps I was wrapped up in the hype, but the pony car didn't do it for me, from its chintzy cabin, sketchy at-the-limit handling, a four-cylinder that's too soft and a V8 that isn't angry enough.

Stephen Ottley: Infiniti Q30

The Nissan-owned luxury brand has been struggling to make any meaningful headway in the Australian industry ever since it re-emerged. I was optimistic that the Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class based Q30 could turn that around.

Instead it is another disappointing product from Infiniti that makes no compelling or unique argument for you to pick it over the established brands. Over-priced, under-equipped and a mis-match of Mercedes, Nissan and Infiniti parts it is likely to be another tiny player in the market.

David McCowen: VW Group quitting racing

While it didn't come as a shock, Volkswagen and Audi's decision to ditch top-class motorsport is disappointing. As a Le Mans tragic, Audi's success, innovation and leadership in the World Endurance Championship has been nothing short of inspirational, and the greatest race on earth just won't be the same without them. Likewise, Volkswagen has been the benchmark team in the World Rally Championship for four years, fallout from the brand's diesel emissions scandal demands austerity.

Mark Short: Ford Mustang

I was really looking forward to this car and it's disappointing. It may be the best Mustang the Yanks have ever built, but the ride, handling, performance and quality are several steps behind the Aussie-made Falcon. It's a good looking car with some nods to its history but the fit and finish is poor. To me the car feels like a old school Mustang that has been retrofitted with all of today's latest gear, a major improvement but still not what it should be.

Kez Casey: Citroen C4 Cactus

Funky looks, a list of personalisation options, and the promise of frugal running make the Citroen C4 Cactus something of a 21st century successor to the legendary 2CV, but somehow the message got lost in translation and as cute as the C4 Cactus is, Aussie buyers are treated to the wrong drivetrains and pricing that doesn't match its minimalist ethos.

No petrol automatic model, and a rough and ready automated manual for the diesel variant pull most of the consumer appeal out of the C4 Cactus, and pricing that starts where many competitors have their mid-range models priced means Citroen's greatest hope of an Australian sales success will remain an oddball outside choice yet again.

Peter McKay: Ford Mustang

I know... sacrilege to knock an icon. But it's just too coarse, too noisy, and put together by blind men. Look at those panel fit and gaps. The V8 doesn't go as hard as it sounds or should. Price and legend status isn't everything.

Toby Hagon: Ford Falcon XR8 Sprint

The Falcon XR8 Sprint was the farewell to the Falcon V8. It could have been so much more. In the end it was about some stickers and a few extra features on a car that was feeling tired and ready for retirement.

Stephen Corby: Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman

Yes, they're both fantastic to drive and beautiful to look at, and yes, I'd have either and be forever grateful if you gave me one, but the new noise from the downsized four-cylinder engine means I'd actually be happier to have a slightly older, second-hand version with a proper boxer six behind me.

Porsche has done its best to make the new engine layout sound tough and gruff, but there's just too much Subaru WRX about it, and it lacks the sonic class and excitement that the company has long been famous for. My ears wept, truly.

Cameron McGavin: Renault Koleos?

A medium SUV with a dollop of French charm sounds tempting but flat seats, a vaguely cheap cabin vibe and hardly exceptional driving credentials from its reheated Nissan X-Trail underpinnings mean the reality of the Koleos is rather more stolid, if able and functional.

David Morley: Lack of government support for car industry

That a succession of federal governments can't see that what they save by not supporting manufacturing in this country will be more than offset at Centrelink.

Jonathan Hawley: Toyota HiLux sales

One of Australia's best selling cars - sorry, vehicles - is the Toyota HiLux and I really struggle to see why. Two-seater trayback versions might be good for the knockabout world of parcel deliveries or emergency plumbing callouts but the 4WD four-door is not a good family car. The engine sounds like a tractor's, the automatic gearbox barely knows which way is up (or down), the ride on rough roads is deplorable and the back seat packaging would be laughed out of any C-segment hatch. The tray is shorter than a Falcon or Commodore's and way too high off the ground to access properly. The Hilux 4WD is probably a good off-roader, but a long way from being a car replacement

Daniela Intili: Ford Australia manufacturing closure

After more than 90 years, it was sad to see Ford shutting down factories in Melbourne and see 600 workers lose their jobs. Ironically the last Falcon produced coincided with the Bathurst 1000, the iconic battleground between Ford and Holden.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2...12-gt9mho.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Drive's 2016 Hits and Misses - The Biggest Surprises - The Something Specials - The Biggest Letdowns

Ouch for the stang and the poor old sprint what disappointments
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Drive's 2016 Hits and Misses - The Biggest Surprises - The Something Specials - The Biggest Letdowns

I agree, the americans screwing the Mustang together must be blind. Even great wall has better aligned and smaller panel gaps than the crappy Mustang! The Focus is on point though!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Consensus, Focus RS is a beast.
Interesting Andrew MacLean's comments RE Mustang. Wasn't he an EX FPV employee?
Old 21-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing I have learnt is that a car is about how it makes you feel, not how some random journalist rates it after borrowing it for a few days.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, the Mustang really sucks.
One reason is because the Falcon is better.
But the Falcon sucks too, and it's about time it was gone.

Got it.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

At the time Mustang was released they all raved about it and how good it was. I don't recall a bad review. Now it's suddenly no good. Clowns.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the reviewer wish to see bad panel gaps then check out my XY.
Old 21-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Ford have sold 5594 Mustangs year to date and leads its sub category.
That's 5594 people that are disappointed according to Drive.

Falcon Sprint was largely sold out prior to going on sale.
Again, that's a lot of people that are supposedly disappointed in their purchase.

And yet Drive have declared the utterly boring, predictable and overpriced Volkswagen Tiguan as their Car of the Year.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

There is a lot of Toyota passenger vehicles sold each year yet there are many reviewers on this forum that say they are rubbish.

Anyway what car enthusiasts cares about the nitty gritty when straight line speed or cool looks are more important.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Mustang - as vapid as the American dream.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #12
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Toby Hagon is a pretty big letdown too
Old 21-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Mustangs have always had bad build quality haven't they? We only have the base model too so it's not going to be the quickest thing on the road.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Mustangs have always had bad build quality haven't they? We only have the base model too so it's not going to be the quickest thing on the road.
Isn't the base model the V6 we didn't get?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #15
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB View Post
Toby Hagon is a pretty big letdown too
Only if you had high expectations of him. For me he just proved, again, that he is an idiot.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Ours is basically the American PP (all bels and whistles yet the euro does lack a couple of items), well the v8 that is.
And I have a 2017 GT and love it, only thing that was disappointing is the over top stripes, they are utter crap hence why they are replaced with solid ones as they should of been from the factory. Yep has a little panel issues agreed, nope its not the quickest car out their but all the same its great value for money and lots of fun.
Nope im not circuit racing, drag racing etc so personally I don't really care about race track handling, its a nice little weekender with adequate handling and breaking where my wife and I can go for a drive with no kids and just enjoy the rumble of the V8 and go where we wish to.
You will be surprised as to the looks the car get from all age groups and sexes. We had so many people come up and say can I get a photo with the car etc I have honestly lost count, let along the pointing, jaw droppers thumbs up etc even from holden drivers so the car cant be to bad considering the reaction from the public.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post