Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #3271
PhilT2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That seems intrinsically “wrong” in the sense of buying honesty, but I’d pay for a JP at a pinch, yes.
Don't think that JP's are allowed to charge, try post office, bank, police station or MP's office.
Old 25-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #3272
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Something to play with, can't comment on the accuracy.
https://www.politico.com/interactive...avirus-impact/

Mouseover to identify flags; note where Sweden is.

This source is pretty much on the left of politics.
Which means that it will report in such a way as to make the US look bad.

I seriously doubt its positioning takes into account infection rate, hospitalisations, and deaths - per capita

It is getting insane trying to understand real numbers here (US).
Deaths are overstated, better testing means an increase in reported infection rate (as it picks asymptomatic and minor).
Reported hospitalisations, or Intubations are the only reliable measure - and these figures are not easily available by state - I say by state, because with 300,000 population, and different cultural, social, economic structures the figures need to be separated out to see change (To see my point look at the world figures, and tray to apply that to any one country).

But honestly, I would not trust any US media outlets on their own. To be honest FOX is one of the few national channels that have news programming that will acknowledge there are two sides to a story. (They even have a real lefty commentator among their miriad of right wing opinion hosts)

My best solution so far is to contrast Covid and Politics from ABC(US) and FOX
And catch any other stories from BBC.

I do not trust Politico (on its own).
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #3273
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I forgot to mention it but Belgium has become the first (and probably only) country to surpass the 100 mortalities per 100k of population mark. The next closest is Italy (88) and Spain (74).

Oddly enough, they don't (thankfully) have the highest infection rate per 100k with 616 - behind the USA (806), Spain (732) and Italy (622).

Italy and Spain (it should be noted) are both approaching 10,000 tests per 100,000 adult population which is well ahead of some other countries in Europe - notably France (2,685), the Netherlands (2,326) and Brazil (443). Australia and NZ are both around the 7,000 mark.

I'm sure there is something to be learnt from the data for tests per confirmed case. Australia and NZ are miles in front of any other country at ~170 tests per confirmed case while Ecuador, Brazil and Mexico are at the other end of the scale with <5.

As each of those three countries is also well behind in the tests per 100k, there are really only two possible conclusions: (1) they are really good at picking which cases to test and thus the success rate is high and therefore they don't need to test a greater percentage of the population; or (2) if their case identification rate was similar to the global average of 11.88 tests per confirmed case and they tested similar numbers of people then their case numbers would be much higher than they currently are. For example, Brazil has only tested 0.44% of the adult population so to get to even the 2.5% mark would require a bit over 4M extra tests and at 12 tests per case that's still an extra 360k cases or more than double the current number.

The plus side of that increase (of course) is the CMR would halve although the case numbers per 100k would also double.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #3274
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
This source is pretty much on the left of politics.
Which means that it will report in such a way as to make the US look bad.

I seriously doubt its positioning takes into account infection rate, hospitalisations, and deaths - per capita

It is getting insane trying to understand real numbers here (US).
Deaths are overstated, better testing means an increase in reported infection rate (as it picks asymptomatic and minor).
Reported hospitalisations, or Intubations are the only reliable measure - and these figures are not easily available by state - I say by state, because with 300,000 population, and different cultural, social, economic structures the figures need to be separated out to see change (To see my point look at the world figures, and tray to apply that to any one country).

But honestly, I would not trust any US media outlets on their own. To be honest FOX is one of the few national channels that have news programming that will acknowledge there are two sides to a story. (They even have a real lefty commentator among their miriad of right wing opinion hosts)

My best solution so far is to contrast Covid and Politics from ABC(US) and FOX
And catch any other stories from BBC.

I do not trust Politico (on its own).
We all understand it is impossible to give real time fatality rates for Covid 19 when large numbers of people are affected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Reported hospitalisations, or Intubations are the only reliable measure
That is pretty much what China did when the outbreak happened in Wuhan. But because the hospital administration system was overstretched they under reported the number of deaths.

China claimed when the outbreak was under control they went back over their records and realised they had not counted all deaths.

The number of deaths in Wuhan was found to be nearly double the original number claimed.

Weather we believe that or not, China was heavy criticised for hiding the truth about the disease and lying to the world.

Other countries are not going to make the same mistake, that is why death rates may be overstated.

Unfortunately the US has some of the worst numbers in the world at the moment. This is a fact not part of any conspiracy by left wing media.

IMHO
Old 26-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #3275
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Old 26-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #3276
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

4 new cases for Australia and no deaths. CMR drops to 1.433% and active cases drop to 6.8%.

No new cases or deaths for NZ so CMR is the same and active cases remains at 1.8% (27).

The UK had just over 1.6k new cases and 121 deaths so the CMR drops to 14.133%.

Just over 18k new cases in the USA and 617 deaths sees CMR down to 5.894% and active cases up to 67.8%.

Other notable points:
The global total of cases passes 5.5M;
The USA has completed over 15M tests;

Syria (20),Malaysia (172), Armenia (452), Afghanistan (591), Bangladesh (1,975) and Chile (4,895) all recorded their highest daily total to date - those in blue on consecutive days and in red on the 3rd (or more) consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 26-05-2020 at 12:52 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #3277
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACT moving to stage 2.1 of their plan this weekend. As far as I have read it diverges from NSW in relaxing a broader range of businesses here but will limit to max 20 with exceptions for funerals.

Not really sure why we're not upping the pub and bar limit to match the 50 limit of NSW considering we have had no active cases for a while now.

https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/__dat...ions_0.4.1.pdf
Old 26-05-2020, 11:37 PM   #3278
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

[QUOTE=MITCHAY;6445833]ACT moving to stage 2.1 of their plan this weekend. As far as I have read it diverges from NSW in relaxing a broader range of businesses here but will limit to max 20 with exceptions for funerals.

Not really sure why we're not upping the pub and bar limit to match the 50 limit of NSW considering we have had no active cases for a while now./QUOTE]

Here is the updated restrictions by State. NSW may yet make further changes in the next couple of days as might Victoria.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #3279
PhilT2

The number of excess deaths happening tends to support the idea that Covid-19 toll is being underestimated.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/d...overestimated/
Old 27-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #3280
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 27-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #3281
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

A 30-year-old man from Blackwater, near Emerald, in Central Queensland has died from COVID-19, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced.

Ms Palaszczuk said the miner tested positive to the virus post mortem. The man's partner is also showing symptoms.

"She has been transferred to the Rockhampton Hospital, where she's being isolated and further tests are being done," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"Blackwater has never had a case of COVID before. Contact tracing is extensively underway."

Health Minister Steven Miles said paramedics found the man dead in his home late yesterday afternoon.

He said the man had been unwell for some time and did not get tested.

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said it was believed the man had an underlying medical condition.

He is the country's youngest virus fatality.

"He has a complicated medical history and that also needs to be worked through," she said.

"Age is not a total predictor of people who are going to do badly.

"The other thing is we don't know the impact of the other medical issues he had.That will be something for the coroner to look at.

"Whether or not COVID-19 was the precipitating cause for his death, that's how we report it."

A team of public health experts and additional contact tracing resources have been deployed from Brisbane to Blackwater to track the possible source of the virus, with testing available at Blackwater Hospital from today.

A fever clinic also will be established at the Blackwater Rodeo Grounds from 8am tomorrow.

"I have four planes on the ground, two in Townsville and two in Brisbane, that we can use to go and get anyone who's a confirmed case and move them to Rockhampton or to Brisbane," Dr Young added.

The victim had not worked since November and has not left the central Queensland town since February, raising the question of how he became infected.

His partner works at a local store and is in isolation. She has returned a negative test.

Central Highlands Mayor Kerry Hayes said workers that commute from other Central Queensland communities or from outside the region could have brought the virus into Blackwater.

It is the state's seventh coronavirus-related death and brings the state's total number of cases to 1058.

Nationwide, 103 people have died of COVID-19.

- Reported with AAP

I think I might panic and stop Miss Penny from going outdoors.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #3282
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

15 new cases for Australia with Queensland and SA reporting their first cases in awhile. No deaths although one will be in the report tomorrow so CMR drops to 1.430% and active cases drop to 6.7%.

No new cases or deaths for NZ so CMR is the same and active cases drop to1.5% (22).

The UK had just over 4k new cases and 134 deaths so the CMR drops to 13.968%.

Just over 21k new cases in the USA and 505 deaths sees CMR down to 5.849% and active cases down to 67.1%. The USA also passed 100k deaths.

Other notable points:
The global total of deaths passes 350k;
Asia passes 1M cases;
Russia passes 9M tests;
Canada passes 1.5M tests;

Nepal (90), Uzbekistan (101), Sri Lanka (137), Philippines (350), Bolivia (397), Kazahkstan (438), Egypt (789) and Peru (5,772) all recorded their highest daily total to date - those in blue on consecutive days and in red on the 3rd (or more) consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 27-05-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 27-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #3283
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

We've been graph free for a few days so here are the updated snapshots for Asia and Africa.

Asia is divided into two graphs - basically an above 500 cases / day group and a below that level group.

The first is starting to show a mostly downward trend after a period where the trends were upward with only Afghanistan bucking that trend.

The second group isn't as positive with three trending downward (Bahrain, Oman and Tajikistan) and three trending upward: Iraq, Armenia and Kazakhstan, with the latter two climbing steeply.

The African countries are broken up into three graphs based on the number of cases per day.

The first group (>400) only contains South Africa and Egypt with the former heading down and the latter heading up

The second chart (100-399) shows Nigeria in an upward trend along with Morocco which had been heading downward quite steadily. All the rest are in a downward curve.

The final group (<100) is nearly all downward trending with only Ethiopia heading sharply in the opposite direction.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #3284
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
and SA reporting their first cases in awhile.
This case was a woman who came from overseas to Victoria and then got exemption on compassionate grounds to fly to Adelaide. We picked up the infection when she was tested at our airport. While she apparently quarantined in Vic rumour has it it wasn't for 14 days and questions are being asked why she wasn't tested earlier. We get to record her as a local case though.

They are now tracing everyone who was on the flight etc. This is why the virus spreads. Some people don't care and while testing is widespread there are still gaps in the system.

Edit- apologies, I got that slightly wrong. She tested negative three days after arriving in Melbourne.

Last edited by prydey; 27-05-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 27-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #3285
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
This case was a woman who came from overseas to Victoria and then got exemption on compassionate grounds to fly to Adelaide. We picked up the infection when she was tested at our airport. While she apparently quarantined in Vic rumour has it it wasn't for 14 days and questions are being asked why she wasn't tested earlier. We get to record her as a local case though.

They are now tracing everyone who was on the flight etc. This is why the virus spreads. Some people don't care and while testing is widespread there are still gaps in the system.

Edit- apologies, I got that slightly wrong. She tested negative three days after arriving in Melbourne.
The news report I heard today said she was tested in Victoria which came back negative.
Old 27-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #3286
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My mate who is in remission, thought it prudent to be tested as he would rather be on the front foot with any new illness. Especially one which already killed his father. As his body levels up post-chemo, he’s been experiencing fluctuations in temperature which might lead to confusion with a fever, or vice-versa.

Despite all the public “broadcasting” telling people to get tested, he had to quite assertively make a case to be swabbed. This was at the RPAH testing clinic, for reference.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #3287
4stanger