Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i know the police work very very hard all the time . but i hate it when they get on TV and say what more can we do . the answer is obvious . and that is police presence on the streets . not contractors /or police posted on highways with radars . thats the only point i was making / these police comments quickly get transferred into more revenus raising . i dont think shocke police persons should make statements like what more can we do , when they know the answer/ driver training/ police presence/ and more enficise on larikan behaviour . its the govts fault i know . combined with lack of education and safety awareness in individuals as well . one thing that could be done would be to find out why so many people are driving unlicenced

I agree completely with a lot of what you said but why is it all these threads get turned into a "anti speed camera" argument? The use of speed cameras had nothing to do with this incident. There is next to no chance that extra police on the road would have meant that a police car was nearby to prevent this incident. This sort of incident tends to happen where there is unlikely to be a police presence.

Heres a thought for you, these types of incidents were occurring long before speed cameras existed, how did speed cameras have anything to do with those? The answer is simple and the truth is harsh. The government is not at fault for these types of incidents, only the person involved in this behaviour is.

To me, the thought that the government should be blamed because someone was killed riding on the bonnet of the car at speed and the government did not educate them is ludicrous. If the government has to educate the population in such matters and ensure we do not take idiotic risks such as that, we will then truly live in a nanny state. Do we really need a nationwide TV ad programme telling us it is not safe to ride of the bonnet of a car at speed, nor should we ride on the roof of the car with our clothes doused in petrol and set alight in a kind of flaming Priscilla Queen of the Desert as it may be dangerous to our health.?
Old 25-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #32
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Great post Gecko!

What is wrong with people these days, why should the government be responsible for holding the hand of every clown in society.

As i have said before, having a few drinks can be perfectly safe as long as you conduct yourself accordingly.
Going by the victims own admissions, she is an out of control alcoholic which makes me think this isnt the first time she has taken her kids for a night out on the town followed by a drunken trip home, the difference this time was her dicision making between point A and B.

Condolences to the children.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #33
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe it would help it people drank less?
Took responsibility for their actions?
While we all agree that Police presence is lacking, the fact remains more and more people seeming do stupid things because of one reason or an other.
The 30yr old said on her facebook that she was a drunk... and had been dry for a whole week???

Its a sad fact of Australian life that drinking LOTS of alcohol on a regular basis is socially acceptable. But this out of the scope of my orginal post, that too many people die doing stupid things....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #34
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Absolutely shocking.
Whilst easy to deride these people, it could have started out innocently enough; some people just have woeful judgement at the best of times; moreso when there's alcohol involved. Sadly after making a stupid decision, most of us can dust ourselves off and are more careful next time. These people will never have that chance again. I feel for the children who had to watch their mother and aunty die. Hopefully they'll be taken care of and not left alone in their grief.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #35
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Absolutely shocking.
Whilst easy to deride these people, it could have started out innocently enough; some people just have woeful judgement at the best of times; moreso when there's alcohol involved. Sadly after making a stupid decision, most of us can dust ourselves off and are more careful next time. These people will never have that chance again. I feel for the children who had to watch their mother and aunty die. Hopefully they'll be taken care of and not left alone in their grief.

Sorry, I can not agree with you there. Time for perspective, getting drunk in front of your kids, allowing a drunk unlicensed driver to drive the car while you bonnet surf is not a small thing.

It may sound harsh and for this I appoligise but personally I am glad it was the stupid adults that payed the price, not the innocent kids and/or another innocent family in a crash.

I guess I like so many other emergency services workers find it hard to show compassion to people that show such stupidity and blatant disregard to the welfare of others. In my eyes, that is an element here, that mother showed no regard for the safety of her own kids. Lets be honest here, those kids although not physically injured, are likely to go through their whole lives effected by PTSD. Having lived with PTSD for the last 30 years I know what it is like and would not wish it on my worst enemy. The mother got off light if you ask me.

I think it is time we as a society ceased saying "thats alright, it was an error in judgement" and started treating it for what it was. Bonnet surfing is not an error in judgement, it is a complete act of stupidity.
Old 25-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #36
gtfpv
GT

HMMMM . OK . WHAT MORE CAN WE DO . bring back the cane at school, lock up teens for the night who cause trouble, throw people in jail for not having a licence- not just after they have killed someone, advertise on TV that stupidity behind the wheel KILLS , NOT just speed and alcohol . RESPECT POLICE and be feerfull of them not have them call us sir and madam . dont tolerate bad behaviour in society . offend more than once and you;'ll go to a home or jail , after all this yes it will still happen
how many people are living on cocaine in society , and how unspoken about is it ,society instead of feeling sorry for them should be calling them crims and have no mercy, i asked a young person at work how prevailent drug use is in society today , his reply was his girlfriend is the only person he has ever met since being 14 that has never tried drugs . and he doesnt mean gunjja. parents are more to blame than anyone i think , but why have parents been allowed to allow this nonsense in society .
there is a real answer to WHAT MORE CAN WE DO . my best mate resigned from the force , because he slapped a person wwho spit on him . this person had jusrt bashed an elderly person in public . the offender got let off because my mate hit him , and my mate faced assualt chrges,after he's fellow officers dobbed him in and defended the offender he resigned in disgrace,he then worked for DOCS and told them to jam the job after 3 months because the system protected heroin atticks with kids, even abusive ones , while holding back honest people wanting to adopt children .
forgive my rant . but FFS heaps more can be done .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #37
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Sorry, I can not agree with you there. Time for perspective, getting drunk in front of your kids, allowing a drunk unlicensed driver to drive the car while you bonnet surf is not a small thing.

It may sound harsh and for this I appoligise but personally I am glad it was the stupid adults that payed the price, not the innocent kids and/or another innocent family in a crash.

I guess I like so many other emergency services workers find it hard to show compassion to people that show such stupidity and blatant disregard to the welfare of others. In my eyes, that is an element here, that mother showed no regard for the safety of her own kids. Lets be honest here, those kids although not physically injured, are likely to go through their whole lives effected by PTSD. Having lived with PTSD for the last 30 years I know what it is like and would not wish it on my worst enemy. The mother got off light if you ask me.

I think it is time we as a society ceased saying "thats alright, it was an error in judgement" and started treating it for what it was. Bonnet surfing is not an error in judgement, it is a complete act of stupidity.
You make a damn good argument that I cannot disagree with, but I really do feel for those kids. In the long run, they may be better off without a mother like her with such scant regard for her or others' safety; but we'll never know.

I was merely trying to point out that we've all had a few too many drinks at one stage or another, and we've all done stupid things whilst under the influence of alcohol. Did you know that statistically one of the most common phrases said before people die is: "Hey, watch this"?
That said, these women paid the ultimate price, and without knowing the full circumstances of their lives I am going to reserve judgement, even though I have suspicions as to what kind of people they were.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #38
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
You make a damn good argument that I cannot disagree with, but I really do feel for those kids. In the long run, they may be better off without a mother like her with such scant regard for her or others' safety; but we'll never know.

I was merely trying to point out that we've all had a few too many drinks at one stage or another, and we've all done stupid things whilst under the influence of alcohol. Did you know that statistically one of the most common phrases said before people die is: "Hey, watch this"?
That said, these women paid the ultimate price, and without knowing the full circumstances of their lives I am going to reserve judgement, even though I have suspicions as to what kind of people they were.

See your point, sometimes people deserve the benefit of the doubt, but this is clearly not one of them.

As for alcohol, the only time alcohol is an excuse is when you have been tied up and someone has poured it down your throat, the rest of the time it was your choice in the first place end of story. I know I sound harsh but you get a bit tired of cleaning up the mess while others sit there and claim it was the fault of the alcohol.
Old 25-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
See your point, sometimes people deserve the benefit of the doubt, but this is clearly not one of them.

As for alcohol, the only time alcohol is an excuse is when you have been tied up and someone has poured it down your throat, the rest of the time it was your choice in the first place end of story. I know I sound harsh but you get a bit tired of cleaning up the mess while others sit there and claim it was the fault of the alcohol.
Please mate, don't misunderstand me.
Alcohol is NEVER NEVER an excuse. Neither are drugs, mother issues or any other stupid reason constructed by defence lawyers.

My sympathy lies with the innocent victims (the kids); but the bulk of my sympathy lies with those brave enough to confront this type of thing on a daily basis. I have nothing but the utmost respect for emergency services workers, I think we can all agree that the officers who have to deal with and see the horror of these types of accidents deserve all of our respect. We tend to avoid such confrontational imagery in our lives and seldom spare a thought for those that pick up the pieces. I know I couldn't handle it myself, thanks for being there for us.

Quote: