Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Perth Falcons

Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Dr Neo Lao
Starter Motor

Default Where to go: non-under bonnet repairs?

Hi everyone, new to the forums - hope this is the right place. Had a look around the existing posts and such but didn't find this so I figured I'd ask.

I recently picked up a 1998 Falcon ute longreach. Got it a bit cheaper since it's a fix-er-upper. There's a bunch of stuff I can do myself, but there are some things that I can't.

Can anyone tell me where one takes cars for repairs that don't have to do with the engine? Specifically, there is an issue with the door locks. There appears to be a physical obstruction stopping the key from turning one way (I can unlock the doors but not lock them). I pulled the doors apart as much as I could but to my eye there was nothing amiss.

I've got it booked in to the mechanic on monday for a service (and to get a list of what else needs doing) so while I'm there I'll ask him if they do that sort of work - if not, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, the driver's door seems to be hanging lower - the top corner strikes on the door pillar (more like "rubs heavily"). I had this issue with my old XF, but I never bothered fixing that one. Had a look at all the bolts and such on the door hinges to see if there was anything I could tighten up, but it all looked solid.

Is that a known issue with an easy fix? Or a "take it to body repair shop" kind of thing?

Thank you.

Dr Neo Lao is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Dr Neo Lao
Starter Motor

Well, my local UltraTune was able to get the doors sorted out, so that's one thing done. Now, still have a list of other bits that need doing...
Old 21-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

what other things need sorting out, good to see got the hinge fixed though.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Dr Neo Lao
Starter Motor

Having done a lot of research, it's now obvious that getting bits for an XH is going to be a bit difficult. But we persevere.

Main priority at the moment is to replace the missing glovebox. I need someplace out of sight to stash things like the high-vis vest and street directory rather than having it floating around on the floor.

XH parts are hard to find around Perth, but I'm sure I recognise the interior. I've had a couple of Falcons over the years and I'm pretty sure parts from other models will fit. But I can't work out which ones. My brother has a Falcon (sedan) which looks exactly the same from the front but the interior is quite different.

The dash looks like it might be EA or EB, but the glovebox hole looks like it might be XE or XF. Not too sure, trying to work out what model it is by what might fit there is a poor way of going about it. If anyone knows, it'd be great to know.

The other bits I'm hunting for:
-The bit in the middle above the mirror that holds up the sunvisors.
-Door trim insert on passenger side (around door opening handle).
-Ashtray (don't smoke, just a place to hold spare change).

It came with a tonneau cover with perished elastics, but replacing the elastics was easy enough (bought replacement ones off eBay).

Overall the car is in pretty good nick, it's just a few bits and peices to finish it off.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
dannyxm
was danny888

Hello
Pretty sure the glove box is the same from XD - XH.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

all those parts your lookign for are XF-XG vintage easy to find just need a keen eye in the quokka every thursday.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
Dr Neo Lao
Starter Motor

Oh cool, so XF parts I should be able to track down easily enough.

Found the door trim insert (and the snipper thingies for the door locks), they were hiding behind one of the seats! [Technically, the seat since it's a bench seat.]

Just have the glove box, roof visor holder-upper-thingy and ashtray to go.

Thank you!

Last edited by Dr Neo Lao; 11-02-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typo fixin'