Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2022, 11:18 PM   #1
FordClassic
Starter Motor

Default 1998 Ford NL Tickford Fairlane

Anyone else on this forum own one of these? Only 100 made. Bidding on one at the moment and want further advice. Beautiful classic so don’t think it’ll go for the price it’s currently at.

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...=0&lid=3755264
FordClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2022, 12:50 AM   #2
portokatsiki

Default Re: 1998 Ford NL Tickford Fairlane

Actually there was 106 built. Two colours only, navy blue and sparkling burgundy. Very underrated vehicles., I own 2:one of each colour. 195kw same running gear as the EL falcon GT. From the photos looks like all the specific badges are there. Beautiful car to drive. Wouldn't surprise me if it goes over 15k.
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2022, 05:38 AM   #3
Trevor 57
is now there

I would love to own it, I reckon over $15k too, well over
Old 21-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I would love one.
There was a damaged burgundy one at Pickles last year which I tried to get, but it went to the salvage auction on three occasions and it never actually went up for bidding, they always skipped passed it.
Love to know what happened to it, I think it sold outside of the auction? Hope it didn't get parted out.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordClassic View Post
Anyone else on this forum own one of these? Only 100 made. Bidding on one at the moment and want further advice. Beautiful classic so don’t think it’ll go for the price it’s currently at.

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...=0&lid=3755264
Please limit the same posts to one forum.

And it sounds suspiciously like it's your car
Old 21-08-2022, 07:45 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Please limit the same posts to one forum.

And it sounds suspiciously like it's your car
My guess too.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #7
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Been selling for 20-32 from what I’ve seen in the last year

Edit, just saw you are a new member, tipping its your car. You already know what they sell for. Good luck in the falling market
Old 21-08-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Irrespective of the intention, these are a pretty honking car. Velvet sledgehammer kind of thing with the EL GT motor. Remind me bigly of the legendary ZC 351 with it's XW GT driveline. If I didn't have ED Sprint I'd want one badly, but we can't store everything...

Recently did the 1990s Ford Australia trawl online after about a year away, and prices are up! The bit that gets me is the EB-D XR8 has gone to the moon, while the EB-D XR6 hasn't so much. Anyone who knows the history knows the XR6 was far more developed (Tickford, suspension, overhaul of the I6, far more bespoke attention in house at Tickford) while the 8 was sent down the factory line with the 165kw motor. And the 8 was slower, not rectified until the Sprint. So go save an EB-D XR6 while you can - fortune may smile on you.

The other thing I noticed was I liked the 90s stuff more than AU-BA-BF which can be judged against it, now that all are old. Personal preference I guess, but the EA shape did beat the worlds cars in attractiveness surveys - and they are nice to drive, too.
Old 22-08-2022, 09:11 AM   #9
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
...And it sounds suspiciously like it's your car
lol, yep.

"Bidding on one at the moment and I want further advice"...then does not ask for advice.

If I were bidding on an item the last thing I would do is put a link to the auction on a large forum of enthusiasts of that item. If I were selling on the other hand...

Dude should have put it up 6 months ago - market has not fully corrected but is well on its way and is definitely down compared to even 4 months back.

GLWS
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Dude should have put it up 6 months ago…
Assuming it was theirs to sell, back then.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #11
FordClassic
Starter Motor

Wish it was mine. I have been advised by a colleague that it is a valuable investment for the future as he is into collecting and holding. I’m dipping my toes into it and just wanted to know if this model had potential for greater values down the track. Where better to go than this forum.

I figure people on here who are looking would already know it’s listed so not too concerned if someone on here is also bidding. It’s a public auction at the end of the day. Thanks for your assistance though.
FordClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordClassic View Post
Wish it was mine. I have been advised by a colleague that it is a valuable investment for the future as he is into collecting and holding. I’m dipping my toes into it and just wanted to know if this model had potential for greater values down the track. Where better to go than this forum.

I figure people on here who are looking would already know it’s listed so not too concerned if someone on here is also bidding. It’s a public auction at the end of the day. Thanks for your assistance though.
Honestly, if it's not your car. Fairlanes have never been that sought after, just like the AU TL50 etc etc. They struggle to sell. If you look at the EL GT, they are selling for between 60-95k at the moment depending on condition.

This puts it into perspective. If you are buying it for investment I don't see them ever following the trend of the GT. Buy it because you want it, not as an investment.
Old 23-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Did any of these come with a pram handle? I saw something like this in the burgundy colour tonight in Thornleigh Avenue, Thornleigh - but it had a boot lid spoiler in matching colour/condition of paint. Overall, a bit “used” looking.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post