Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > General Discussions

Old 03-12-2023, 07:00 PM   #271
Jet _Black
Starter Motor

Default Re: Cobra build no's

this is the (unfortunately numbered) Cobra 186
The car was loaded with everything good 351 ps , air , steer , leather race seat in the front , 4 speed & a 3.55 rear diff. Photo from the very late 1980's

had very low km ~ 25k's on it & was a pleasure to drive

Now owned by someone else , I hope they are taking good care of it.

JB
Old 04-12-2023, 09:50 AM   #272
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Cobra build no's

does anyone know if cobra 100 exists? original owner has surname of Lutsi
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2023, 08:22 AM   #273
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet _Black View Post

this is the (unfortunately numbered) Cobra 186
The car was loaded with everything good 351 ps , air , steer , leather race seat in the front , 4 speed & a 3.55 rear diff. Photo from the very late 1980's

had very low km ~ 25k's on it & was a pleasure to drive

Now owned by someone else , I hope they are taking good care of it.

JB
That looks like the old Baulkham Hills Council Chambers?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2023, 08:23 PM   #274
Jet _Black
Starter Motor

fortunately they were closed when we dropped by. ;)
Old 10-03-2024, 06:40 AM   #275
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Cobra Build No.001
My name is Christina Brewer and I'm an ex Ford Motor Company employee (now retired).
I worked at Broadmeadows Head Office for 28 years and held many top positions as a secretary/personal assistant to many Directors and also the President.
It was in 1978, when Edsel Ford was working in Ford Australia on a 2 year assignment, as Assistant Managing Director, that the Ford Cobra concept evolved.
At that time, I was working for the Director of Manufacturing (Ted Gardner) and my name then was Christina Nunan (misspelt as Noonan in the write up).
I always had a love of fast cars, and at the time I was driving a yellow 2-door XC Falcon with a black vinyl roof.
When I heard about the limited edition of the Cobra,
I approached Max Gransden (then Director of Sales & Marketing) and said that as a Ford employee I would like to buy one of the Cobras.
He seemed amazed and did question why, as a female, I wanted to own one of these 'muscle cars' which he thought more suitable for the male population.
After we got over that hurdle, he asked me what number in the series would I like, suggesting that No. 001 or 400 would be the two numbers to choose...
I chose No. 001.
I can't remember the date in July 1978 when I picked up my new Cobra and carefully drove it home, although I seem to remember I called in to the "Lemon Tree" bar in Lygon Street, Melbourne, to show off my new purchase.
The following Sunday was a Ford/Holden Allan Moffat/Peter Brock race meeting at Sandown (Hang Ten 400) and a group of us always attended, with our BBQ's, and got the best spectator positions.
This particular Sunday I was driving down the freeway from Doncaster to pick up a girlfriend who lived in Flemington.
I was probably doing about 100 -105km/h when I noticed a police car on the opposite side of the freeway going the other way.
In no time at all I suddenly saw him in my rear vision mirror, gaining on me.
He pulled me over, and walked up to the car and said
“Do you realise how fast you were going?"
I told him that I had only picked the car up on Friday and I knew that with a new engine you weren't supposed to go over 100km/h and that's all I was doing.
He obviously had no idea what speed I was doing but assumed that with a sporty looking car like that (which he probably hadn't seen on the road before) that I was speeding. 
I remember he walked around the car, asked me some questions about it, and then said I could go.
I had many lookers, especially at traffic lights, and some young kids in hotted-up Holdens asked if I was with the Allan Moffat Racing Team, and demanded a 'burn off' when the lights went green.
I quietly obliged and beat them easily….but only for a few seconds!!
When we arrived at Sandown we were going to park with our other Ford group but we were automatically ushered into the Ford Racing Team area…..
we never said a word!!
Although I loved driving my Cobra, the unfortunate part was that everybody knew where I was, and where I'd been, as I think I was the only person in Melbourne who owned one!
Every time I went shopping, or wherever I parked, there were always people wanting to look inside the car, or asking me questions about it.
Was it really mine.
Did I actually drive it, etc.
It was fun at first but then it got to the stage where I had to always be so careful on the roads and freeways watching out for the police….
it was such a conspicuous vehicle.
My friends told me that they thought the car was too much of a "hoon's" car and I would be better in a smaller sporty car, so I wouldn't be noticed as much…
I know they were only looking after me and wanted me to meld into the traffic!!
I can't remember what date, or when, but I knew I had the Cobra for about 12 months.
I had a friend who knew the owner of the Toyota Dealership in Elizabeth Street, in Melbourne, so I went to see him about trading my Cobra in on a new Celica!!
Much to my employer the Ford Motor Company's dismay!
The salesman was a bit reluctant, and said that the Cobra would be very difficult to off-load, and would only be of any interest to a select group of people.
I told him that I had No. 001 but that didn't seem to be of interest to him.
So 30 + years later I wonder where No. 001 is?
I did hear that it was eventually sold to a farmer…
but who knows where it is. It could be in a paddock somewhere, or used for spare parts.
I'm sure it would be worth something now, if it was kept in the great condition that it was when I traded it in.
I loved driving it, and have a lot of fond memories.
I'm attaching a couple of photos of the actual car, which I think was taken on the Geelong Proving Ground test track, and also of me in my Cobra Tee Shirt…..a few years ago!!
(Written by Christina Brewer, Original Owner of Cobra 001)
Have you preordered your copy of the Cobra Bible yet?
Do it now before you end up with of the unlucky few who missed out.
Find out what really happened to Cobra No.001
6 users like this post: