Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 16-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #151
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Photobucket... WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF11GhiaZF6 View Post
Yep no warning just got the screen message, swore like hell, then reluctantly paid up and pics were restored immediately, they are a multi billion dollar company with millions of users, can't see them folding, will see how things pan out, now I'm a paid up member will be pushing them to offer smaller packages than the 500Gb, is only a dollar a Gb but really is way to big for the average user, have been using them for about a year prior for free, is now much easier to use and ad free, got a year to think about alternative and future strategy.

I really think "go furthers" idea is a good one, maybe the AFF should make the approach to PB?
If they don't come at the "group buy" proposal, then there is another option...

Account Syndication ...

10 members get together and share ONE plus 500 account, each contributing US$40 per year, and each with access to the same password / username.

With each agreeing to use no more than 51Gb each (510Gb total under plan).

Each syndicate member has their own album set up in the account to upload their photos.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #152
ScotchanDry
Family XR8s in Grey

lets say you sign with another upload service,with the inability to edit your own posts on this forum, then re uploading pics on old posts not possible ?
ScotchanDry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #153
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beware if using imgur. It has similar ability to copy the image link to use as a 3rd party host, BUT...

The terms and conditions specifically state they are not to be used as a 3rd party host (even though they give you the easy option to do it). So most likely they will go the same way as PB.

I imagine the others have the same, it's only a matter of time...

From their website:
Stuff not to do

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #154
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Beware if using imgur. It has similar ability to copy the image link to use as a 3rd party host, BUT...

The terms and conditions specifically state they are not to be used as a 3rd party host (even though they give you the easy option to do it). So most likely they will go the same way as PB.

I imagine the others have the same, it's only a matter of time...

From their website:
Stuff not to do

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.
So how does one possibly protect themselves from another PhotoBucket?
There's nothing to stop imgur, Flickr, etc doing the same thing.

Almost every forum I've visited lately is devoid of photos, deleting years and years worth of knowledge.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #155
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

At least Flickr is reasonable if you wish to pay for a Pro account anyway.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #156
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I might give Flickr a go instead.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #157
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder how many have a home or company server
and also wonder whats entailed in the utilisation from this server to host your own pics ??

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #158
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
If they don't come at the "group buy" proposal, then there is another option...

Account Syndication ...

10 members get together and share ONE plus 500 account, each contributing US$40 per year, and each with access to the same password / username.

With each agreeing to use no more than 51Gb each (510Gb total under plan).

Each syndicate member has their own album set up in the account to upload their photos.
I'm open to that idea, any takers? PM me, more the merrier, 50Gb is massive, I'm currently on 0.5Gb approx 1500pics

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 16-07-2017 at 05:33 PM.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #159
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
There's nothing to stop imgur, Flickr, etc doing the same thing....
From the Flickr terms and conditions page:

...Your rights to use the Flickr APIs terminate automatically if (i) you violate any of these terms...
b. You shall not:....
....Display more than 30 Flickr user photos per page in your application or use an unreasonable amount of bandwidth.

and

...Flickr is committed to free and open access to our APIs for commercial and non-commercial purposes. However, providing the APIs does have real costs for Flickr. For uses of Flickr APIs over a certain rate or for certain types of commercial applications, Flickr reserves the right to charge fees for future use of or access to the Flickr APIs.

Refer:
https://www.flickr.com/services/api/tos/
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #160
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
There's nothing to stop imgur, Flickr, etc doing the same thing.

Almost every forum I've visited lately is devoid of photos, deleting years and years worth of knowledge.
You can buy some webspace and make your own site and host images on it, costs start at about $5/month. Not sure how, maybe someone more computer literate could expand on this info I read elsewhere on the net...
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #161
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
From their website:
Stuff not to do
Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website....
If Imgur is so specific about NOT linking images, then wtf do they have the feature installed at all? Confusing.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #162
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The problem we all face who are currently with Photobucket is finding a viable solution.

Only 5 logical possibilities exist;

1. Stay with Photobucket and pay the ransom of AUD$520 and have all your thread images immediately reinstated.

2. Share the cost of a 500 plus Photobucket plan with other members (forming a member sydicate).

3. Wait till AFF find a solution using its own AFF servers to store the images and hopefully a script is installed allowing albums and photos to be relinked when photos are uploaded.

4. Find another image hosting site that allows 3rd party hosting, and hope a script is provided by AFF to relink images in threads to the new host.

5. Set up your own site / server.

The problem with (4) is that with millions of Photobucket users moving to sites like Imgur, Flicker and others, is the added pressure and 3rd party hosting costs these sites will obviously experience, forcing them to maybe also charge high yearly fees like Photobucket down the track.

Choices? ... But what to do.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 17-07-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 17-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #163
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

UPDATE

Ok. Here is our current approach.

1. We will be opening the period between the 1st August and 14th of August for post editing by users for all threads in the Project Cars forum. This will only allow an individual to edit their own posts but it's one option for those who have vaible alternate storage.

2. We are currently installing a new integrated gallery application on the test server to replace the current Photopost Pro that (as noted earlier) is past the use by date. The new app will undergo testing once it is integrated fully and we will then migrate to that server for all users. At this stage, that is only backed by 1 Tb of RAID storage but we have asked for more to be added to the storage array.

3. User who had the Photoracket privacy option ticked will not be able to easily migrate without re-linking all their images as the obfuscation of the file names was effective.

4. Whether we can script the links for other image hosting solutions (outside of AFF) will depend on whether they mangle the image name from that which is currently embedded on the forum. For example, if you image is called my_car.jpg and the image host doesn't change that then we can fix the links with a simple database query. If it is named gfriwnfdkl.jpg and that isn't the real image name then we can't.

We've considered an aggregated account (and it's still an option for those who want to try it) but I am firmly of the belief that eventually this will spread to all commercial sites that currently offer free hosting options. Note: This option may be ok for scripting as only the gallery name should change so a query might well fix it.

We have no intention to do anything other than offer a cost recovery option for members and as we are adding storage to our existing (new) server, that cost should be manageable for a small annual fee although as it is a redundant solution, the cost effectively doubles (because we need two physical disks for every one disk of space).

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #164
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

thanks for all your efforts Russell.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #165
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
[B]UPDATE

1. We will be opening the period between the 1st August and 14th of August for post editing by users for all threads in the Project Cars forum. This will only allow an individual to edit their own posts but it's one option for those who have vaible alternate storage.
Hi RussellW,

Thank you for all your efforts in this matter, much appreciated!

My build thread containing 370 images and I have been running for 12 months is in the "Show N Shine" forum. Will I be granted permission to edit only my posts in that thread, even though it is not in the "Project Cars forum" ?

I'm sure many members are in the same position?

Thanks
Old 17-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #166
CB1123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
UPDATE

Ok. Here is our current approach.

Cheers
Russ

I think this is the best option and one I would like to explore, however I have a couple of questions - which may only show my ignorance to this situation but here goes:

1. I have threads in the Show ' N Shine, Falcons > Classic , OzECruisers Workshop Builds .... is there a reason we couldn't open the editing across the site for posts we've authored?

2.Will the integrated gallery application be sorted by 1st August so that the editing we are proposing could allow us to populate our threads with images from the integrated gallery?

3. Bring on a fee for the image hosting service - I'll happily pay it .... I have gained so much knowledge, laughs, inspiration from this site and am keen to support it.

I hope that all makes sense?
Two wheeled ride

CB1123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #167
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The problem with opening editing globally is that it has the potential to create chaos and the capability can't be controlled by individual although it can be controlled by group which isn't going to really help in this case.

We could incorporate other forums but probably only Show'n'Shine is likely to be added, however we do have a couple of volunteers from the moderation team who will assist with edits in other forum areas to amend image links. More details later.

I doubt that we will have migrated to the new server by August 1st - the main problem is that we really need a long enough window to do the cut-over which requires a fair bit of work, including:

- a backup and restore of the current database (4-5 hours);
- synchronisation of the current gallery (1-2 hours);
- DNS migration (~1 hour); and
- testing.

Even starting at 01:00 on a Sunday morning, means that we are unlikely to finish much before 09:00 and that's assuming that everything goes to plan - which it usually doesn't.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #168
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Thanks for everything Russel, I would be happy to make my Photobucket account and 500Gb of available space accessible to you if that would be of any help at all.

Regards, George

Old 20-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #169
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Very strangely, Photobucket seems to have ruined all my pics on AFF except one

https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...&postcount=274

I have no idea why.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #170
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Think you'll find the pics are from another source or your AFF gallery, if you have one?

Old 20-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #171
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yea they won't support 3rd party unless you pay for the service ! Nice pr--ks.
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #172
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Very strangely, Photobucket seems to have ruined all my pics on AFF except one

https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...&postcount=274

I have no idea why.
They ruined that one too.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #173
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
They ruined that one too.
Seemed to have taken them some period of time to get around to defacing all the photos in peoples libraries ..

I've been with them from very early on (2003 I think) .. lot of old photos there I'll not bother to go relocate. Lucky they are only cars/bikes and not photos of lost loved ones, etc ..

Have to go down as one of the great PR disasters of all time.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #174
ScotchanDry
Family XR8s in Grey

Tried to download my photos from Photobucket failed 3 times..over it.. got most copies...Deleted my account and I stated reason, far too expensive for the small amount of third party embedding I do....
ScotchanDry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #175
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Over 10 years of various project pics gone!

You can hardly even navigate on PBucket without 'pop up' crap invading the screen.
Old 24-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #176
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 540 View Post
Over 10 years of various project pics gone!

You can hardly even navigate on PBucket without 'pop up' crap invading the screen.
I just deleted my account and that was such a challenge on it's own. Between the popups, ads everywhere and the fact it runs slow as hell these days and is completely unstable, it took ages just to navigate between pages.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2017, 06:51 AM   #177
OzriderXR8

Someone on another forum has tried this and it appears to work.

it seems if you "edit" the thread and then add "~original" to the end of the URL of the picture, the picture is visible again

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #178
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzriderXR8 View Post
Someone on another forum has tried this and it appears to work.

it seems if you "edit" the thread and then add "~original" to the end of the URL of the picture, the picture is visible again
Just tried this and its working!

Thanks
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #179
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Yep ... Appears to be working
I wonder how long it will be before Photobucket close this loop hole?

Old 24-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #180
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shhhh dont tell them!

HAHAHAAaaaaaaaaaa yeah!
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post