Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > New and Classic Ford Association of Australia Inc

New and Classic Ford Association of Australia Inc A Queensland based club for all Ford models of all ages of Show “n” Shine standard.

Old 22-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Pete & Lyn
Forever Crusin'

Default Car Bra Problem

Hi clubbies,
Have a question about Car Bra damage. I have used the CB several times on our BFIII XR8 and now have abrasive damage on the headlight lens after first use. I put acrylic stone guards over the headlights and the CB has abraded then too. I contacted Car Bra and just got a cool response that they have not had this complaint to date and the person I contacted said that they use one and don't have a problem.

It was then suggested that I put Glad Wrap over the headlights or the headlight stone guards to protect them from scratching. Not real impressed with the poor response from them.

Has anyone had the same problem?
Can anyone suggest how to remove the fine abrasion from the acrylic?

Thanks in advance.
Pete

Pete & Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

My new bra arrived today had to send it back as it didn't quite fit however as this was my first car bra experience I asked some fellow T series folk and got responses that the bra had damaged some lights, some people use the headlight protectors to stop damage to lights and others reported no damage.
I will be sacrificing a set of headlight protectors just in case. The overwhelming response was the car must be clean and apply plenty of wax where the bra will sit on paint.
Some people also use blue painters tape on areas that may be affected by rubbing the blue masking tape can be left for upto 14 days and removed without leaving any residue.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
FPVSutto
Finally got it......

I haven't fitted my carbra yet as I'm waiting until next week.

I don't have head light protectors, would putting a layer of clear Book Contact work so that you could peel if off when you take the carbra off?
09 F6 #679 - Viper
FPVSutto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Pete & Lyn
Forever Crusin'

Had not thought of blue painters tape to protect the paintwork...Will give it a try on out Tassie in in Nov.

Re the clear contact for the headlights, I would be concerned with how easy (or hard) it would be to remove. I think that I will have to stick with sacrificial headlight protectors. Saw a bottle of acrylic scratch remover in a motorbike shop today, will get one tomorrow and try it on the headlight protectors first. Hope it works......

thanks for the suggestions
Happy cruising
Pete
Pete & Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
auMatt
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Matt's valued contributions in the technical area associated with AU/BA/BF & Terri instrument clusters & ICC's is considered the authoritative guide to work by members in this are of expertise. His contributions stand alone in the forum in this technical  

I always install head light protectors on mine when I fit the Car Bra for this very reason. My headlight protectors were new and they are scratched to buggery now with probably 20 uses.

Matt

Contact me for all your Cluster Programming/Repairs & Window switch/ICC colour change for BA/BF/FG Falcons & Territory. Visit my SITE for info.

I Use and Recommend :
Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage
AutoWorks - Keilor
RIP Craig
RIP Samantha
auMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
stoopsrolly

I have TS 50 in viper red and color matched CB No problems what so ever make sure you take of and shake out loos particules after every trip

no probs on the headlights and mine was purchased and installed june 09

drove Melb to Bris took of at Sydney 3 day layover & because flapping occured at speed while overtaking been back on since and wont go anywhere without it now
except the strip.

Nothing but Good feedback from me

Cheers stu
stoopsrolly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
stoopsrolly

Default 3M opticaly clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Lyn
Had not thought of blue painters tape to protect the paintwork...Will give it a try on out Tassie in in Nov.

Re the clear contact for the headlights, I would be concerned with how easy (or hard) it would be to remove. I think that I will have to stick with sacrificial headlight protectors. Saw a bottle of acrylic scratch remover in a motorbike shop today, will get one tomorrow and try it on the headlight protectors first. Hope it works......

thanks for the suggestions
Happy cruising
Pete
Try this 3M product it is opticaly clear meaning the glue is see through as well
and it is aesier to remove after use
should last months at a time depending on individual driving conditions

cheers Stu (T man)
stoopsrolly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Can one of you guys give me a price for the Bra suit XR8?.As for the clear protective film i agree 100% its amazing stuff,i use it on my motorcycles and have done a long time,ive a 12 year old TL1000 thats not got one stone chip all these years later.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by auMatt
I always install head light protectors on mine when I fit the Car Bra for this very reason. My headlight protectors were new and they are scratched to buggery now with probably 20 uses.

Matt
i agree with you, ive done the same thing with mine.

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put a set on and off when i ue the car bra
after the first use of the bra, return trip to the barossa, the headligh protectors were scatched as
But a fellow T owner warned me to use a set to sacrifice, rather than sacrifice my headlight lens
I would definitely not use my bra without the protectors
Put them on when i put bra on, take them off when bra is not used
Old 20-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
SVR73
Mr Polish

if your going to use a car bra, always glad wrap the whole section really well\
two coats of wrap if necessary

for those who don't want to spend the dollars on a CB, there are strippable coatings available

http://www.strippablecoating.com/

some 4wd stores sell it. roller, spray or brush on