Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-06-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default DIYer's, woodworkers, and those who are interested (big pics)

Just wondering if there are any FFAU members that are into the DIY scene...woodwork, metalwork, etc

Thought I would post some pics of my projects I've done...(sorry about pic quality) Feel free to post pics of your own DIY projects

The chopping board was made of scrap ash and merati, and finished with Organoil. (I didn't made the knife!)

I've also made some speaker stands...they weigh 25kg's each (bottom plate is 10mm thick), and can be shot filled. They are also designed so the speaker wire is hidden. (I might post a better pic soon)

I'm making a coffee table atm from recycled ash. The timber is about 40 years old and has been used in a grain shed. The bottom pic is the bottom shelf of the coffee table. It will be stained in a jarrah colour.

More pics of coffee table to come.

I'm also making a Home Theatre Equipment Rack at the moment. Pics to come soon as well.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
xrgran

Hey Russ
nice handywork there. It's great to look at something and know you have done it yourself. My dad was a 'chippy'...it's a bit of a dying art nowdays. Keep up the good work and the photo's.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Hey mate,

that's some mighty fine stuff there! I have a sh*tload of timber out the back (mostly hardwood off building sites) and have no idea what to do with it... am going to give it away to friends.

If you're ever up this way, you are most welcome to it - make me a coffee table in exchange! I would like to use it but even though I am handy with a drill, saw, sander etc I can't find the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Pics as promised...more sanding to be done yet...(thanks for the offer Bindi! Will keep that in mind, although its taken me long enough to make one coffee table let alone two!)

Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 11-06-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 15-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thought I would post a REALLY exciting pic today...hehe

Told you it was exciting :
This is the timber I'm using for the AV Rack (It's Ash). The rack will cost me about $95 to make (raw), which is alot cheaper than the $600-800 I saw for glass and steel AV racks. I'm going to stain it using the same stain as the coffee table (jarrah). I'll post a newer pic soon- I've just recently made the shelfs. If anyone likes what they see and want dimensions etc. (for coffee table, speaker stands, or chopping board) post or pm me...that is if anyone else actually posts again in this thead :

Old 15-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

that's some nice work you've done there, a bit more creative and precise compared to my efforts. amongst my efforts i have made the following:
- chopping board
- completely wooden AU XR8, yes it rolls and does mad powerslides
- 2 x entertainment units, one for me and one for the folks. Both completely different designs.

will attach some pics when I get some!!!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

My old dining room table died from old age a while back. Brought a new one but just couldn't bear to throw away the timber of the old table, so I recycled it.

I had always wanted a solid timber study desk, but with quotes of $600-$800 for someone else to build it for me it was out of the question. Anyway, I resolved two problems at once.

Panda

Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Study Desk (small).JPG (48.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 15-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
big_pete
Sublime

I used to love woodwork and metal work at school, but since then (about 3 years) i havent had the oprotunity to make much stuff

I made a Pool Table for my yr12 Project, which was pretty tricky, i still havent got it covered tho.
i also made a lift Trolley in metalwork

i want to get into it more, but i dont have the resources of tools and workspace, so its kinda hard.
i really want a Mig welder so i can go wild on some metal work, particularly custom bikes
Old 15-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
mutanti
Turbo

Talking

made it a few weeks back.
My other half even helped.
Another forum I frequent is. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/
I want to make a coffee table but just havnt had the time latley.
have some nice redgum waiting in the shed ready for the top (used to be old sleepers)
P.s. I Also made the Kitchen table in the background of the first pic...
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
that's some nice work you've done there, a bit more creative and precise compared to my efforts. amongst my efforts i have made the following:
- chopping board
- completely wooden AU XR8, yes it rolls and does mad powerslides
- 2 x entertainment units, one for me and one for the folks. Both completely different designs.

will attach some pics when I get some!!!
Looking forward to seeing the wooden XR8! (and the other things as well )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutani
made it a few weeks back.
My other half even helped.
Another forum I frequent is. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/
I want to make a coffee table but just havnt had the time latley.
have some nice redgum waiting in the shed ready for the top (used to be old sleepers)
P.s. I Also made the Kitchen table in the background of the first pic...
Looks impressive there mutanti! I also have a bit of a look around at the forum you mentioned. The redgum would make a nice coffee table - really hardwearing, but it be harder to work with I suppose. But it looks really good when well-finished.

Luckily for me, I've got access to CRAPLOADS of (secondhand+free) hardwood! Trouble is trying to find the time to use it! (I've been working on my coffee table since about Sept/Oct last year). It also heaps when you work (casually) at a decent sized hardware store (gotta love staff discounts )

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 15-06-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 16-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Did some more woodwork today (sorry about the terrible photo quality, had the camera on the wrong mode)...

AV Rack

...and another of my (incomplete) coffee table...

Old 16-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Jeez I wish I had woodworking skills. I used to do woodwork at school, whut I could't even use a coping saw.

Oh well.

Good work, they all look tops.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #13
niko
likes falcon's

nice stuff man, i remember in the movie gone in 60seconds. woods not cold like steel...
Old 16-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #14
Dannopower
The Mandarin Monster

Hi guys!

Im a Cabinetmaker by trade, and own a timber furniture making business! Let me know if you need any tips etc!

Keep up the good work!
Dannopower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Russ that is some fanbloodytastic work! I am always really impressed by this stuff as I am utterly hopeless at it. I used to hate woodwork in high school, and the hate hasnt gotten any easier :p.

I may be in the market for a custom made rackmount cabinet for all my Bass Gear soon, basically just a large cabinet with some slots for Amplifiers etc etc and some drawers. I'll get some plans drawn up once Ive bought the gear to go in it, and if you're interested, you can make one up for me (naturally Ill pay yuo for it).
Old 16-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #16
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I may be in the market for a custom made rackmount cabinet for all my Bass Gear soon, basically just a large cabinet with some slots for Amplifiers etc etc and some drawers. I'll get some plans drawn up once Ive bought the gear to go in it, and if you're interested, you can make one up for me (naturally Ill pay yuo for it).
Now that would be a fantastic idea! i would love a nice spot to put all my guitar gear

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 02:31 AM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My Dad was a cabinet maker and tool maker by trade ... and he used to muck around with timber on the weekend and make stuff all the time. The things he used to make were amazing ... I'd love to learn more though.

He would have taught me more ... but he passed away when i was 12 ... so that kinda went out the window ... I have his sketch book that he used to do all his plans and stuff in ... amazing.

He made my entire bedroom suite from a rough sketch he cam up with ... then measured the room out and went from there.

The finished product look exactly like his "rough" sketch ... too me his rough sketch was actually a fine piece of art ... he had gift when it came to drawing and woodwork.

He made the dining table at home with ornately lathed legs ... the coffee table using inset decorative tiles ... he also made a full chess set (board and all pieces) ... I wish I could find the chess set ... it was a work or art. He also redid the kitchen with some cool little features (shelves that slid out as corner doors opened).

I don't have that gift unfortunately .. but I'd love to learn about it ... I did quite well at woodwork at high school ... but never continued really ... I love woodwork and how it turns out when complete.

To everyone that has made some nice stuff .. well done ... it does seem to be a dying art as everything becomes so "production line" nowadays.

Another thing I like is going to some of the woodworking shops that sell the unique furniture and ornate items ... there's some cool in those shops.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #18
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannopower
Hi guys!

Im a Cabinetmaker by trade, and own a timber furniture making business! Let me know if you need any tips etc!

Keep up the good work!
I've thought just recently that if I wanted to start a business that was a good investment, I would start my own home theatre/hifi furniture business. Make stands for plasma/LCD screens, home theatre racks, speaker stands. People pay HEAPS for this kind of stuff, and most of this stuff is pretty simple (just built solidly)...unfortunately I'm only young and not THAT talented when it comes to woodwork.

The link gives you an idea of what alot of people are willing to pay for this type of furniture (just ignore everything I've said if you already make this stuff!)
http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod155.htm

At least I now know where to go if I need help with future projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Russ that is some fanbloodytastic work! I am always really impressed by this stuff as I am utterly hopeless at it. I used to hate woodwork in high school, and the hate hasnt gotten any easier :p.

Thanks. I'm not sure if I am talented enough to build stuff for other people, but I may be able to give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The finished product look exactly like his "rough" sketch ... too me his rough sketch was actually a fine piece of art ... he had gift when it came to drawing and woodwork
Not sure if I would call it a 'gift' but I really enjoy drawing HEAPS of drawings of my projects before I start. I think I've got it from my dad (he's invented stuff...stuff that has gone onto the commercial level)

Old 17-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #19
big_pete
Sublime

2 of my uncles build custom furniture
some of the stuff they make is beautiful
this is there site to check out some of their stuff
http://www.francisfurniture.com.au/

my dads also handy at it too.
Old 18-06-2005, 12:18 AM   #20
Muzza
Bent Eight

Hi guys, attached are some pics of my HiFi rack.
Built entirely by me.
Combines three of my DIY hobbies...
Metalwork - whole rack designed and built by me (Mig, ARC and Bronze welded).
Woodwork - shelf and drawer unit (veneering was also done by me)
Electronics - the Pre-Amp is based on some re-worked designs, made own cct boards, custom case, I did the front panel artwork but was screen printed professionally, handbuilt by me. Includes motorised remote volume and interfaced to the CD remote using a PIC processor to interprete the remote's signalling.
Am using VAF DC-X speakers - The whole hifi Sounds great !!
MrsMuzza: ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels (8.5ins wide...nice), Sprint leather interior).

Last edited by Muzza; 27-09-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 12:37 AM   #21
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

That looks REALLY good there Muzza! I'm sure you're aware of how much money you saved making the rack yourself (CRAPLOADS!)

I thought about going down the metal frame path, but the timber path was cheaper (steel's not getting any cheaper!) Looked at the price of glass (6/8mm glass, polished one edge) but I think the cheapest was about $140 for 6 shelves - which isn't too bad, but by using timber all over, it has costed me just under $100 for everything.

Would love to hear those VAF's!