Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Default Not fit!!!!

yesterday morning while admiring my body, I had to admit that I couldnt see my feet from above and that the spread was accelerating at an alarming rate, so in a mad rush of blood to the head I dragged out a walking machine thats been collecting dust since daughter no.1 moved out 15 years ago.

I set it up and yesterday played with it trying to work out how it all worked.... (procrastinating) this morning fruitcake I am almost a cot case, got on it and stupidly set it to 5KPH and then spent 15 minutes trying to catch up to me brain, perhaps a little drastic for 1st day but Iam not backing off, set a goal to have it @ 10KPH end of next week.

But dwelling on this over coffee I had a brain snap and saw whats wrong with all these 'fitness centres' I drive past several to work and 2 have huge windows to the street all you see is fit buggas and sheilas in their little shorts and titty shirts You wont see over-weight people in them, no wonder, it would be embarrasing in my condition to go in and mix with that crowd. So should the govmints, instead of wasting money on useless programs, provide excercise machines on the condition you use them and loose certain amount of weight you then get a subscription to said gyms?

thoughts and encouragements please

Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Default Not fit!!!!

The gym I sometimes go to is not just fit and well toned people.
Overweight, underweight, over 55s are almost as common as the very fit people.
I never understood the gyms around Sydney that put you on show to the world. I'd hate that.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
zilo
BANNED

Junkfood has to go via the mouth to get to the belly.

Exercise isn't the answer.

Reducing consumption of sugar and carbohydrates is.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Junkfood has to go via the mouth to get to the belly.

Exercise isn't the answer.

Reducing consumption of sugar and carbohydrates is.
Reduce consumption of rubbish is certainly a great start and you will slowly shed excess weight.

Add a light exercise program to this and you will lose more.

When I was 86kg I just watched what I ate and went for a 45min walk 3 nights a week that soon turned into a shorter walk plus 5min jog and I was losing around 1-2kg per week.

Due to winter I'm back at 78ish kg but have some holidays coming up and some warmer evening weather and I want to try and get down to 72 by Christmas.

I'm my own worst enemy - I love my food and over eat on a regular (weekly) basis. I also have a very fast metabolism and am pretty active by default and this helps me maintain what I am.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post

But dwelling on this over coffee I had a brain snap and saw whats wrong with all these 'fitness centres' I drive past several to work and 2 have huge windows to the street all you see is fit buggas and sheilas in their little shorts and titty shirts You wont see over-weight people in them, no wonder, it would be embarrasing in my condition to go in and mix with that crowd.
Your going to the wrong gyms then. My gym (North Adelaide Fitness Centre) is great because anyone is welcome, and feels welcome.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'm a slim build and hate gyms because of the damn guido's grunting and always checking themselves out in the mirrors. But not all gyms are like this, I went to a real old school gym for a while, think Rocky Balboa style! Barely anyone went there and I preferred it but gyms aren't for me, I'd rather any day do circuit training outside, lifting weights was my biggest issue as it bores me to tears!

Either way if you want to lose weight you don't need a gym, going for a run/jog around your local park, footy oval or lake will give you the desired effects. Plus personally I can't help but smile when I see a plus size person going for a jog, makes me happy to see they're actually doing something and makes me realise how damn lazy I am!

This photo always makes me laugh,

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember, weightloss is 80% diet 20% exercise.

At 40 I conciously changed my diet and it makes all the difference.

When I say diet I dont mean eating salad for 3 months to loose 10kg, you need to permanently change your eating habits.

Good luck, no-one in a gym will look down on you as we all start somewhere and you are making an effort to change.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
zilo
BANNED

the junk food companies are doping almost everything with fructose.

have a read of this.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nut...osedangers.htm

Just look for foods without any and weight will drop off at a furious rate, without any exercise at all
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Just be careful what you cut out and how you do it, can lead your body to go into storing mode rather then lose weight mode.

If you don't eat healthy or exercise then start with that switch to lean meats and have salads with it or lightly steamed veggies, check what a correct portion size is and slowly cut down to that size don't go sudden.

Jump on the treadmill for a 15 minute light stroll everynight and slowly increase pace and length of time spent.

Slowly does it, going too hard too fast is not a good idea. (remember the weight didn't go on overnight or in a week, so don't think you can lose it in a week)

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Get a dishlicker, and walk the bugger.................
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The hardest part is getting started. I tried many times until the day I tipped the scales at 110kg. I wasn't obese by any stretch of the imagination, which is why it shocked me so hard.

So just like that I cut out everything from my diet and started from scratch. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and that was it. I allowed one cheat day. And every single day I went for a run, rain hail or shine. Everything else came second to my daily run. I ran until my legs hurt and then a little more. After weighing 110kg in October, the middle of January I weighed 88kg.

Then one day I noticed a pain in my right foot. But I ran through it until one day it collapsed from under me so severe was the pain. Turns out I fractured the bones across my foot from all the stresses I'd been putting on it. It took three years for me to be able to run without any discomfort. I might have gotten my weight down to 83kg by the middle of February but I'd destroyed my foot in the process, and was within an inch of it being irreparable.

My point is don't kill yourself to try and lose weight, it's not worth it. Trying to double your speed in a week might sound great and good on you if you can manage it but just be careful with your body because when it breaks it can take a while to fix itself. Fix your diet and you're half way there. Go for a half hour brisk walk every day and keep it up and you won't know yourself in a few months.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
staity

In 4 months I've dropped 4.5kgs just by eating better. I didnt go for a hardcore crash diet, I still enjoy "bad" foods, i just eat less of them, plenty of fruit and the missus has started cooking dinner from recipes she found in Weight Watchers Magazines. Most of these recipies aren't half bad and they arent all vegies and lentils, there are plenty of things like lasagnes and pasta bakes and the like, but with alternate ingredients you may not have thought about using that really make them healthy. Given that we are now in spring and the weather is starting to get better walking with the kids and dog are now a viable option and i expect more kilos shed in the next few months.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Nova 8

Simple ways to start dropping weight is to drink more water and get more sleep. Next is to start looking at the food you eat, natural foods that aren't processed are a decent bet. Gaining muscle will help speed up your metabolism and jogging to get the heart rate up then maintaining a brisk walk is good for you too.

Doing weights and cardio may not be the major factor in weight loss but you will feel better for it which is all that counts. Also don't focus on a scale but how you are feeling.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Drop the cola + meatpies (crappy fast foods) out of your diet & you'll be fine, your ldl levels will thank you! Drink water to flush toxins out of your body & oxygenate your blood also. Do some consistent excercise weekly, healthy me here i come, good luck!

ps- re: exercise equipment supplied by government - seniors fine, youngsters have to put up a bond, hock shops aren't that big!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Youre from Pt Lincoln, I used to walk along the Parnkalla (or whatever TF it called)Trail when I would stay at the Limani Motel for work. Take it easy to start with. If you don't change any other aspect of your diet at least GET MOVING! If you rate yourself as rather unfit start small, 5 mins walk out, 5 back, then next week 10 out, 10 back, keep building it to 30/45/60mins or whatever floats your boat.
All the Hot little titty tops would be power walking along that trail, so that may help with keeping up the spirits and motivation!

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #16
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I posted in the weight loss thread ages ago when I got under 100kg. A year on and I fell back into old habits, I am eating takeaway once a day, not exercising at all and have put back on the 15kg and then some more, women would kill to have my man boobs, prob size B and they don't sag, no support bra needed here. The clothes I bought before I lost weight don't fit, let alone the stuff I bought because I had lost it. I need to get my fat *** (yes it is) back to the gym, and not eating crap. But I can't for the life of me find the motivation.

Good on ya OP for actually doing something to lose weight.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
I posted in the weight loss thread ages ago when I got under 100kg. A year on and I fell back into old habits, I am eating takeaway once a day, not exercising at all and have put back on the 15kg and then some more, women would kill to have my man boobs, prob size B and they don't sag, no support bra needed here. The clothes I bought before I lost weight don't fit, let alone the stuff I bought because I had lost it. I need to get my fat *** (yes it is) back to the gym, and not eating crap. But I can't for the life of me find the motivation.

Good on ya OP for actually doing something to lose weight.
I'll never look at a b cup the same again
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #18
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
I'll never look at a b cup the same again
Yeah, I was going to say photos or it's not true..............but maybe not.....
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Nah you don't want photos.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
Nah you don't want photos.
Just the wrong shape, thats the problem.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

In about a year (I reckon) I'm going to be at the gym doing the strength training part of my Graded Exercise Therapy for my chronic fatigue syndrome. It was bad enough when I was doing three minute walks (not even to the corner and back), only 6 months or so after walking marathons around my suburb.
When I head to the gym I'll probably being doing six sets of four different exercises. At one rep each. Or however the hell you say it. I dunno, I'm not versed up in gym speak. Nor am I really wanting to be. I'm currently debating if I can just get away with swimming.

ANYWAY! My point is, if you can do it, and you have the motivation, **** the haters (if there are any). At least you're not limited to a three minute stroll halfway to the end of the block
Just my two cents/attempt at some kind of motivation (as you can see, it's not my forte)
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would echo other sentiments, don't go like a bull at gate and injure yourself, it will be 10 times harder to get back to where you are now, ..... slow and steady wins the race.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #23
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch both of these:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz2...cise_lifestyle
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvd...-hd_shortfilms

You'll quickly realise there is a lot of truth in the phrase 'your body is built in the kitchen, its only polished in the gym'. You need to get your diet in order to drop the weight and keep it off. Exercise is to improve your fitness and improve your cardiovascular health.

Ignore advice about avoiding carbs, fructose, etc. What matters most is reducing *calories*. How you reduce those calories is largely up to you. You may decide to cut back on the carbs, you may cut back on the fat. Whichever is a matter of personal preference. The goal is a diet that you are happy with. If it feels like punishment, you wont stick with it.

Get a calorie-tracking app, if only so you actually start to learn the relationship between calories, types of food, and how much you need. You wont need this forever, just until you get a feel for how much food you actually need versus how much you think you need.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I have subconsciously started to change my eating habits so I can start dropping some of the excess weight I'm carrying around. It is definitely a mental game to want to change and after seeing my wife make the change I figure I have no excuse.

Instead of a meat pie and iced coffee for breakfast most mornings (yes it is a vice for me) I've started avoiding the 7-11 near work and actually just walked into work and had some fruit and a coffee for breakfast, yes its probably still not ideal but its a start.

Lunch is now a meat, cheese and salad roll and for dinner we try to have as many vegies as possible. I say that cause you try getting a 4 year old to eat vegies. I do about 45 minutes walk with my son each day so the only reason I can see I'm not losing weight is because my input exceeds my output.

I know I can keep this up because I want to. I feel like I'm in the right headspace to do this.

Last edited by TheSneakiness; 03-09-2014 at 11:12 AM.
TheSneakiness is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #25
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

its great you started but keep at it
we all fall sometimes but you have to push to get back into it
like you hate the gym but I find them boring
as I work FIFO its hard to going as on site you eat sleep work etc and then when you fly home your flatout doing stuff, so its hard to get into exercise
so here is my story so far
1.5yr after my back surgery I hit 92kg which I have never been in my life (I'm 38yr) from not doing any exercise as I didn't want to hurt my back again
so I started small with exercise with just walking for 30-40mins every 2nd day but I did stop eating chip/chocolate and cool drinks/ lollies and left everything as it was (I don't eat fast food everyday anyway)
and from just those small steps I started loosing weight
after a few weeks I started to run a little bit in my walking and after time I am running more than walking now
since oct 13 I have now lost 10kg and down to my normal weight of 82kg but I'm an now still going for more as I feel great (wouldn't mind losing whats left of my gut)
I am now running about 5-7km every 2nd day with a small walk in-between I do have a cool drink every now and then as well as lollies etc but I try and not over do it

but what has been the biggest help is when home there is a fitclub that operates in a suburb down the road (and there are few around perth now) . were every sort of shape and size people can attend and its run by people who just like to get fit/ lose weight and stay healthy

yes I loose motivation at times but you just have to force yourself back out as I find you always feel better after doing a bit of exercise
I also use runkeeper on my phone to keep a track of my walking/running and try to beat my times or distance etc and keep a track of what I have done to keep me motivated

best of luck and it feels great when you reach a goal
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #26
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be wary of over gym use. I love the gym and have been bodybuilding since I was 19 (now 51) and tendonitis is a regular feature of my shoulders and elbows now. I recently had my left shoulder diagnosed with Reactive Calcification of the Sub-scapulars which I'm told will go away but has been very painful for 3 months and excruciating when it broke up and was re-absorbing the calcium. I have built over the years some very impressive muscle for my age but I'm always left wondering how much better my joints would be if I had never done weights.

I'd say hit the gym once a week for an all over body workout.
Go for a brisk walk (don't run or you'll end up with buggered joints...eventually) a few times a week (with your dog or your wife or your kids, or all of them)
Exercise portion control when you eat.
Avoid processed foods as much as possible.
Avoid fatty foods simply because you can eat more carbs and proteins if you do.
Limit high calorie alcohol consumption.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

my sister has slow metabolism & pre- diabetic blood results. The clinic's dietitian gave her an eating plan which has her eating about 8 times a day, and she is slowly losing weight; apparently it is all the eating which will kick start your metabolism. The dietitian also insists on her having a glass of water with juice from either half a lemon or lime first thing every morning - apparently this is an important thing for fat metabolism.

Myself, due to steroids, low cortisol levels & foot injury have gained much weight in the last 18 months but am unable to exercise at all post surgery. Cant wait to get the all clear so I can exercise again.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #28
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Get a calorie-tracking app, if only so you actually start to learn the relationship between calories, types of food, and how much you need. You wont need this forever, just until you get a feel for how much food you actually need versus how much you think you need.
I'm trying to drop weight, so I've attempted to use a few online calorie calculators to work out how many calories I need, each one gave me a different figure! Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know but is there one you'd recommend?

I also think, at least from what I've read, it's more than just watching calories for me as most of my fat is visceral fat on the stomach, in fact it's 95% on my gut...and organs..

Until a couple of months ago I was running my own landscape business and worked hard...I'm talking 150m2 of pavers screened and laid in the middle of summer, yet the gut persisted.

It didn't help that because I was working so much, I wouldn't eat all day, get home shattered and starving and have no inclination to make a salad, so I'd get takeaway on the way and gorge...kinda my own worse enemy I suppose..

Anyway, I'm now working fifo and meals are provided..I thought it would be easier, as healthy food is right there in front of me...but they just butcher the food...steamed veg is mush, or they serve something like deep fried vegetable fritters!

It's bloody hard