Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: AFF Coffee Thread

I sometimes get that water layer too, I find that could possibly be due to the speed of the extraction. But not too sure.

I have read that your used tamp should come out of the basket in the shape of an ice hockey puck. Semi solid with little moisture. I get this 6/10 times.

I used to use the spoon/knife holding method as well. But found the really good barista's didn't use that technique at all, and were able to free pour and still maintain a consistent head.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #32
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blueoval I think you need to be elevated to some form of star status for this thread

I really appreciate your input here as, as we go along I solve more and more of the little issues I've learned to work around rather than overcome

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

hahaha, thanks man. Im no hero, I just take notice of the little things I have a passion for. I just want to share the things I have learnt along the way to help others taste what I can taste. Afterall, a good cup of coffee for me is the difference between a good day and a **** day. Why not start it off on a good note?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #34
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I sometimes get that water layer too, I find that could possibly be due to the speed of the extraction. But not too sure.

I have read that your used tamp should come out of the basket in the shape of an ice hockey puck. Semi solid with little moisture. I get this 6/10 times.

I used to use the spoon/knife holding method as well. But found the really good barista's didn't use that technique at all, and were able to free pour and still maintain a consistent head.
My tamp does not even come out, which made me think I was packing too tight. I can bash the thing to the ends of the earth and it eventually comes out in one single bit, but generally I have just succumbed to getting a knife to loosen it. Once I loosen it, it comes out easy. Went in to work today and wrote down some breville and sunbeam models under $500 to research. Not worried about having it's own grinder etc. But something a little more controllable would be nice.

I thought maybe my tamp was too fast given I have dual spouts going in to one cup? I used the two cup one this morning and placed a cup on eiter side and it took about 20secs, vs the 10 it usually takes, to get a single shot in each, except it was uneven. My partners friend asked me to make her a coffee this morning for my partner to take into work for her. Hence why I tried the double basket and running two shots at once.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I find if the extraction comes out too quick, and your tamp technique hasn't changed, it maybe your grind is too coarse allowing too much space between the granules. Try adjusting your grind to be finer. Its more of an espresso grind, that way the smaller granules will pack with less air gaps, then lighten you tamp strength to not pack down as hard and see what happens.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hahaha, thanks man. Im no hero, I just take notice of the little things I have a passion for. I just want to share the things I have learnt along the way to help others taste what I can taste. Afterall, a good cup of coffee for me is the difference between a good day and a **** day. Why not start it off on a good note?
Many of us have the passion but you have knowlge to back it up and while I can't speak for any one else, I've learned loads these last 2 days, and I think I make a pretty good coffee for a DIY Barister

This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #37
80kms

Nespresso fan here. great variety, great flavors and no fuss.
80kms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have learnt more in this thread than I did trawling coffee forums.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
I have learnt more in this thread than I did trawling coffee forums.
Like wise I gave up on coffee forums as they seemed to be full of must have the most expensive machine to make a drinkable coffee snobs

This thread has been fantastic

Old 24-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

well Im with you blokes. I cant afford a 7k machine. But if I can try and get the best out of the $400 machine I got, then why not. You need to learn somewhere, and the cheaper machines just force you to improve on your own preparation/presentation and detail skills rather than letting the machine do all of the work.

Again, it's the little details that can just make an average coffee turn into something better with what you have. It isn't settling for mediocrity, rather it's striving for efficiency. I just enjoy what I have, trying a slightly different technique or bean, and seeing if that improves the flavor etc.

Im also a stickler for preparation of the machine. Cleaning the dreg tray/the basket/filter, pre-warming the cup, choosing the right type of milk even has an effect on the final finish and flavor.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80kms View Post
Nespresso fan here. great variety, great flavors and no fuss.
some of us like the fuss Adam

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #42
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's the little "fuss" that makes it special. And I guess, it's a personal thing to I enjoy taking a little extra time and making a nice coffee for a friend

Old 24-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #43
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I made this just now, I am home and trying to experiment, so I am having lots of coffee, I also don't know about others, but I run an empty basket between each pour, which seems to dislodge any old coffee from the previous pour. No matter what I do, I can't get slower than 10 seconds. This coffee pictured, the tamp was pretty dry, came out easy in one piece, but was still a 10 second pour. This is also as fine as the local roaster does as it is an espresso grind. Coffee itself still tasted great and I am more than happy with my milk skills now, except I can't do fancy patterns, but this coffee I poured the milk without a knife etc. The nice pretty glasses I got from work for $8, it took my partner a while to be convinced a glass like this was perfect and I was never going to make her a nice coffee in a normal mug.

Old 24-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #44
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I made this just now, I am home and trying to experiment, so I am having lots of coffee, I also don't know about others, but I run an empty basket between each pour, which seems to dislodge any old coffee from the previous pour. No matter what I do, I can't get slower than 10 seconds. This coffee pictured, the tamp was pretty dry, came out easy in one piece, but was still a 10 second pour. This is also as fine as the local roaster does as it is an espresso grind. Coffee itself still tasted great and I am more than happy with my milk skills now, except I can't do fancy patterns, but this coffee I poured the milk without a knife etc. The nice pretty glasses I got from work for $8, it took my partner a while to be convinced a glass like this was perfect and I was never going to make her a nice coffee in a normal mug.
YES YES YES. I do this also to help clear dregs. Nothing worse than tasting burnt left overs.

Overall though, the consistency looks good in that picture. Were you aiming for more a cappacino or latte? The choc powder says cap, but the color of the coffee looks like a latte. Whats your shot to milk ratio?

Just reiterating hendrix recommendations on regular descaling. This is something you need to do more often on cheaper machines. I try to do mine monthly, but I reckon it might pay to descale it fortnightly due to the amount of cups made. I have noticed the pressure drop off a bit in the brew.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #45
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Like wise I gave up on coffee forums as they seemed to be full of must have the most expensive machine to make a drinkable coffee snobs

This thread has been fantastic
^ This. Picking up some good tips to try out.

I am finding that whilst I like my coffee making ability (for how short a period of time I've been doing it) my coffee isn't as "creamy" as a cafe.
Old 24-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #46
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I've never timed mine, be longer than 10 seconds

I work more on how it comes out of the head, if it comes out rich and smooth in colour and curls back as it goes (as blue described) I know I have it bang on

Milk I do as you said I have my fingers under and around the jug slowly swirling as I go and stop when it's to hot to touch.

Another trick I learned was to do the milk first I tend to get a thicker foam and less bubble, I then add it after I've ran the espresso

I like your style with the cup, kind of like drinking good wisky in a crap glass

That said I also have disposable cups I got from the cafe supply mob, great for the run to work, or the run to the shops, when your done the cups in the bin and no cleaning like the travel mugs that I find get a funny taste to them

Old 24-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #47
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
^ This. Picking up some good tips to try out.

I am finding that whilst I like my coffee making ability (for how short a period of time I've been doing it) my coffee isn't as "creamy" as a cafe.
Dude you've had Gloria Geans at kellyville for the Sunday coffee cruise, i KNOW you can do better than that and I haven't tasted your coffee

O yea for creamy milk fresh I use riverina, but I've also used a Braista long life thing devondale do and that goes ok as well

Old 24-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #48
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I am using brownes cafe milk. But find that normal full cream is ok. As for what I was trying to achieve, more a latte, I knew I had done the milk too much, but went with it anyway. I put the choc ontop to make the foam taste better lol. My coffee is usually 1 shot to 1/3rd milk.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #49
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea normal milks fine the cafe milk is just easier when your kicking off

Old 24-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #50
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I am using brownes cafe milk. But find that normal full cream is ok. As for what I was trying to achieve, more a latte, I knew I had done the milk too much, but went with it anyway. I put the choc ontop to make the foam taste better lol. My coffee is usually 1 shot to 1/3rd milk.
Depending on how Im feeling it could be full cream, or a skim milk. I find they both froth very similar and its only in the flavor you can notice the difference. The full fat you can get the froth to be a bit more dense. i.e. smaller bubbles.

Yes, I could tell it had a bit more milk to your cup. Nothing wrong it. If thats the way you like it, go for it. I tend to do the latte version but with more of a coffee head than a milk head.

My milk frothing style consists of making sure the milk is warm up enough via the wand, then allowing only juuust enough air exposure of the wand tip to create the tiniest of bubbles and keep the froth density 'tight'. None of these big foamy bubbles. The consistency out of the milk jug should be that of silky cream, and not having too much of it. I allow 5-10mm max of froth. When I pour I pour slowly to not over crowd the coffee crema but such that, the froth is juuust sitting beneath the layer of color, and then there my be a circle of froth about the size of a 50c piece in the centre of the cup. If that make sense.

Its not a right or wrong way, it's just the way I have enjoyed making it, and I find when you sip it, you get this silky sensation in your mouth directly followed by a smooth coffee/milky hit. Like liquid silk.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #51
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 24-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #52
80kms

Quote:
hahaha agreed... but when i am the one cleaning up other peoples fuss... well lets say the Nespresso was a good choice. time is money

black coffee no sugar
Old 24-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #53
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What pods are you using 80kms? We have one at work and I'm struggling to find one that's more than just OK

Every one in the office raves about it but I guess I'm missing something

Old 24-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #54
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I read somewhere Yeti, that when you are used to Espresso, no pod will ever be a match, except ones you can pack yourself and even then it is not as good. Because the coffee and crema stuff is always really old and stale.
Old 24-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #55
80kms

i usually reach for one of the following:
Ristretto
Arpeggio
Roma
Fortissio Lungo
Indriya

some of the new ones are pretty good also
Vanilio
Caramelito

but Ciocattino - not so good.
Old 24-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #56
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea done most of them they don't do it for me

I'm currently using some imported Italian jobs that fit nespresso and it's the best of a bad lot so far but not great I have to say

Old 24-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #57
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
What pods are you using 80kms? We have one at work and I'm struggling to find one that's more than just OK

Every one in the office raves about it but I guess I'm missing something
I think everyone raves about the level of consistency without any effort involved.

Pods are great for those who want a consistent coffee without the hassle of going to the effort of manually making it. The problem I see is that for those who prefer this method, they are forced to buy the pods (which are not interchangeable) from the manufacturer who designed the machine. At 80c a pod, that would be a bloody huge expense for someone like me who has up to 5 cups a day.

I think I worked it out the other day based on my personal estimates:

5cups x 7 days = 35cups a week @ 0.80c (not including delivery fees) ~$28 a week for 1 person. My staff drink nearly as much as me. My family drink as much at home and I have 4 other family member who all drink coffee. When you add up the math, it gets expensive.

Pod machines are great if your normal regime consists of buying cups of coffee from a cafe at ~$4.50 a cup that's still a big saving. But if your regime is preferential to save the coin and make it yourself as often as possible, you could make a manual one for I think about 0.20c a cup for a flavor which is as good as a pod machine if not better due to being able to modify the technique to suit your palette. But yes, it does require effort to make it, and clean up after yourself, which is fine for those who have a passion for being a DIY barista, but for those who CGAF and prefer to enjoy the reward of an automated process without the effort and can still afford it, a pod machine is ideal.

This is by no means a knock on people who buy pods. They are a niche market on their own and a very successful one at that. But too often I find pod lovers turn their nose up and bag out DIY barista's for no real good reason other than 'why bother?'. I bother because I want to, and like it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #58
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80kms View Post
i usually reach for one of the following:
Ristretto
Arpeggio
Roma
Fortissio Lungo
Indriya

some of the new ones are pretty good also
Vanilio
Caramelito

but Ciocattino - not so good.
Ive tried some of those stronger flavors. They are quite good.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #59
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had industrial roast and Nescafé blend 69 so when 3 other guys said do you want to chip in for a coffee machine I was all in.

I'd never tried them but I figured there were a heap of blends so there wasn't too bigger risk

And for the most part I would rather drink that than the industrial roast

But I have to say every morning I get a coffee from "The Derry Motor Works & Cafe" (the shed) for the trip to work, like wise weekend mornings its pretty sweet sitting in the shed the appropriate cafe music mix and a nice flat white, when my son wakes up he comes out we I make him a hot chocolate, we talk crap some weeks, break out the acoustic guitars on others, like I said before good coffee is a ritural, almost religious, eh I guess that's a bit of a stretch but it's something I really look forward to on a Saturday / Sunday morning

2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #60
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That pour you have pictured above is actually quite decent from that machine. It is similiar to the one i started with.

From memory they only have one small hole in the center of the basket to allow the water to pass through the grounds. If you get your coffee ground finer it will block the hole and you will not get an extraction but spitting and hissing and the handle will blow off making a huge mess!

In theory i have been told when you do a pour you let the extraction run down the inside of the cup to prevent cavitation of the pour which mixes the first 15ml , ristretto, with the last 15ml. This is so ristretto drinks dont get upset. It also allows a uniform caramel colour on the top of the pour.

The idea of pouring the milk down the side of the angled cup is so you bring the caramel colour to the top of the cup so the barista can do their magic and form those fancy patterns that make the coffee look pretty. I was told by a Barista once that people that put patterns on coffee are trying to hide a crappy coffee!

To remove the larger aeration of the milk you will see the Barista bang the milk jug on the bench 2 or 3 times before pouring in the milk. If you leave the milk to long after frothing you will also get separation of the milk and froth and not get the creamy texture transferred to the cup.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: