Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #1
pundit
Gazza!

Default MD Mondeo

Currently looking at MD Mondeo wagons. Really would like to go a titanium.

I have seen the MB/MC had issues with the DCT autos, is this issue rectified in the MD? I'm familiar with DCT box's, my partners Hyundai Tucson has one..

With child seats in the MD's are they a standard size seat or do they need a compact seat? especially when rear facing. Obviously not keen on a kiddy seat in my current LV focus!
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2022, 07:16 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: MD Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
Currently looking at MD Mondeo wagons. Really would like to go a titanium.

I have seen the MB/MC had issues with the DCT autos, is this issue rectified in the MD? I'm familiar with DCT box's, my partners Hyundai Tucson has one..

With child seats in the MD's are they a standard size seat or do they need a compact seat? especially when rear facing. Obviously not keen on a kiddy seat in my current LV focus!
All Mondeo's with a DCT had the wet-clutch version which was largely un-affected by the dry-clutch version's trouble in the Focus, Fiesta, Ecosport ect.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
Mondaveo

Yes, early examples of Powershift (Getrag) 6DCT in Mondeo (very late MBs, and MCs up to 2012) were prone to a semi-common failure due to a faulty speed sensor. I say "semi-common" as we had multiple reports through these forums and other channels of people experiencing the issue (and having to find a fix), though Ford of course never publicly acknowledged there could be a widespread issue.

A revision was made during production run of the MC to address the issue, such that from 2013 on we essentially don't hear of any problems with the DCT - there's the odd post from an owner experiencing some issue (such as IIRC an EGR valve causing limp mode) but no consistent pattern like we had with the faulty sensor.

As for child seats, I have three across the back bench of my MC Mondeo, including one convertible in rear-facing configuration which I've tucked in behind the driver's seat, and two forward-facing seat and booster in the middle and outboard positions. To be frank the convertible is quite wedged with the driver's seat in my preferred position (which is almost all the way back and down), and the other two are jammed together, but everything's anchored solid so it works. Selecting for 'narrow fit' seats where you can makes it doable.

I'm not sure how my setup would compare to what and how many you want with the MD, I'm supposing it's similar for size and I'm not sure of there's any considerations for the inflatable seat belts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
As for child seats, I have three across the back bench of my MC Mondeo, including one convertible in rear-facing configuration which I've tucked in behind the driver's seat, and two forward-facing seat and booster in the middle and outboard positions. To be frank the convertible is quite wedged with the driver's seat in my preferred position (which is almost all the way back and down), and the other two are jammed together, but everything's anchored solid so it works. Selecting for 'narrow fit' seats where you can makes it doable.

I'm not sure how my setup would compare to what and how many you want with the MD, I'm supposing it's similar for size and I'm not sure of there's any considerations for the inflatable seat belts?
Yeh I have been looking up on the Car Seat Safety Australia page about the inflatable seatbelt airbag thing, I didn't know that was a thing until I was searching up on there.. Apparently not a issue while forward facing using ISOFIX but yah back to the drawing board.. There isn't really any other car I am liking aside from them.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 11:18 PM   #5
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
Yeh I have been looking up on the Car Seat Safety Australia page about the inflatable seatbelt airbag thing, I didn't know that was a thing until I was searching up on there.. Apparently not a issue while forward facing using ISOFIX but yah back to the drawing board.. There isn't really any other car I am liking aside from them.

Rules it out, then? From what I've quickly read (e.g. https://www.britax.com.au/service-su...t-belt-policy/) you're only precluded from using the inflatable seatbelts in the outboard seats to anchor the child seats. If you use Isofix (forward or rear-facing), or the non-inflatable seatbelt in the centre seat position, then there's no issue.

Speaking of the centre seat, here's another note from experience - when selecting the MC I thought the Titanium was the pick for the added safety aids, plus things like climate control and sunroof were a treat, not having owned a car this nice before. Well, the sunroof turned out to be a bit of a drawback, as you lose some interior headroom, making it that bit harder to post bub into his capsule or climbing through to buckle older kids in. We've adapted to the space constraint but it stands out as the one feature that had the biggest gulf in expectation versus reality. Now with MDs you get a panoramic glass roof, which I don't think has as much impact on the headroom, but I would be keeping in mind as you have less to give away due to the lower roofline of a wagon compared to a SUV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post