Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-07-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
DMENTDGT
ON CHARGE

Default Work vehicle

Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a Wagon mondeo as a work vehicle as I'm over my hiace. Can anyone give me more of an invite to the problems they have with gearboxes? What's the difference between the select shift gearbox and PowerPoint gearbox? TIA

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

FORD FALCON FPV GT 335
Lightening Strike
ZF Box
Leather
Cat Back 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
5% Tints
Stock Power: 346.3rwkw

Current Rides: Porsche Cayenne, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1
PRIOR RIDES: BA2 xr8 ute, AU2 Xr6, EL xr8, EB Ghia 5.0L, XD 4.0L
DMENTDGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2022, 10:01 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Work vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMENTDGT View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a Wagon mondeo as a work vehicle as I'm over my hiace. Can anyone give me more of an invite to the problems they have with gearboxes? What's the difference between the select shift gearbox and PowerPoint gearbox? TIA

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
SelectShift is a torque converter automatic.

PowerShift is a dual clutch automatic. Any Mondeo fitted with a PowerShift is the wet-clutch version, not the troublesome dry-clutch version.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #3
Mondaveo

Regarding issues with the PowerShift DCT in Mondeo, it was only vehicles manufactured in the first few years (late MB and early MC models, approx 2010 to 2012) that had any kind of pattern of common failures. Those tended to have an electronic sensor that could go faulty and cause the gearbox to lose its mind (resulting in jerking/baulking on shifts, throwing DTCs and potentially stranding you). After 2012 a revision was made and that issue was basically resolved; by the time we get to the MD Mondeo in 2015 it is basically a proven reliable unit. Unfortunately it gets tarnished by carrying the same name as the notorious dry-clutch DCT unit that caused so much woe for Focus and Fiesta owners.

As an early model Powershift car would be pushing over a decade old now, I suppose you'd be looking at a MD or at most late MC model. In which case you can expect the gearbox to be quite sorted and not likely to give you any unexpected issues, assuming it's been serviced correctly and looked after through it's previous life.

The DCT does come with a four-year/60Kkm service interval for changing the gearbox fluid, which is absolutely essential to observe. Said fluid does run a bit pricy, which tends to dampen any savings you might realise from fuel economy over a torque converter. Repairs, if they are needed, tend to be very expensive, although as I've inferred we don't really hear of them going wrong any more.

If you're looking at a wagon, the predominant drivetrain will be the 2.0L Duratorq TDCi turbo-diesel paired with the 'wet' PowerShift DCT. A petrol powerplant in the wagon was only available in the base model (being a 2.3L Duratec NA in the MC LX, or 2.0L EcoBoost turbo in the MD Ambiente), paired with the SelectShift torque converter transmission. Wagons in Australia missed out on the EcoBoost turbo petrol available in the hatchback for the mid and high-range trims (Zetec/Trend and Titanium).

IMO, the diesel and DCT is a very good driving package, but some people say it's just not a combination for them. If that's you, then you'll have to play off whether and how much you want the interesting tech (infotainment and safety assists), versus the option of the petrol engine and no DCT in the lowest grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2022, 12:34 PM   #4
T-Pak Addict
Jim

As A MD Wagon Owner myself they are a great car. Mines a 2016 Ambiante (Base Model) 2.0 TDCI with DCT. Its done over 290,000 kays to date. Still drives like new. I bought it at 260k Ex Fleet car with full Ford Service history. I had to replace the EGR Cooler $1800 from Fraud but I found a new one on ebay from the UK $600 delivered (took 5 days!). Do all the work on my car with the help of Allen Howatt on youtube. He works for a garage in UK that has them as Taxi's and does regular videos and lists the common issues.

Its a very underated car. Great trip car! I do quite a few camping trips with the kids with 6x4 fully loaded and tows it with ease. Average 5.5/100 to/from work with is mostly 90/110 freeway. It drives about 800-900 kays a fortnight on 1 tank of fuel (50ltrs). Enough grunt to keep a V6 Commodore driver the ****s and all the power is right where you need it, In the midrange! Hills and overtaking is a breeze. Even on base model you get Cruise control, fast glass on all 4 doors, Digital Radio and Satnav!

Do I love my Mondeo... Hell yes!!
Wife loves her too.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: