Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default eBay and PayPal scam

Hi all,
I just thought I'd share a scam that tried to get me on eBay. I advertised a canon fd 300mm lens and it got a few watchers rather quickly then it sold at the buy it now price. I received a "why didn't I get my item request" immediately and replied via eBay say wtf (politely). The colonels address came through on eBay and he asked me to request payment via paypal which I did as this was my first sale. I them received a pAypal email saying the funds have been paid and are held until I ship. I then got an email outside of eBay from the colonel sayin he wants it shipped to Nigeria for his grandson and provides an address which according to google maps does not exist. When I checked with PayPal and no funds, it was a fake email. The give away was it was addressed to my eBay name not my full name. Anyway the colonel had gone quite and I've lodged a dispute to avoid eBay fees. Apparently you can't track goods via many shipping companies to Africa and South America so beware someone that lives in the states and asks for shipping to those places.
Hopefully I didn't give enough info to the frauds to get a case of identify theft or any other connected scam.
Cheers
Geoff

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...

Last edited by Tokyo Geoff; 16-09-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Bus typo
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Re: eBay and PayPal scam

Is it me or they just getting cheekier? It's like they spend days on end trying to come up with work arounds for the system and when it's blocked they immediately have another way to scam.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they've been sending fake Paypal and Western Union emails and invoices for years
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Try running a business it is like a magnet for fraudulent email activity. I mean i have inherited billions of dollars (and yet to see any lol) and asked for my banking details so many times now it isn't funny and they are getting better and better each time.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take a dump in a plastic bag and post it to the address supplied..!!!
Old 16-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

My Nigerian cousin has this bad habit of dying every week and sending me his money. I still don't know why?

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Take a dump in a plastic bag and post it to the address supplied..!!!
The only genuine things in these scams is their email and bank account details. They use others physical addresses as a cover to appear legit.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well they are certainly persistent! After the first scam attempt I just re-listed the lens to have it sold and then deleted by ebay with 2 hours!

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I've had my bike on the market for a couple of months on gumtree, bikesales and just bikes and had about 6 scammer attempts. Here's a couple of examples. They are all pretty similar. When they send messages, I say for them to call me on the listed number to arrange something. But you always get a long winded reply wanting PayPal details.

Quote:
Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

Am buying this for my son for his 21st birthday. He lives in Darwin presently so is going to be shipped to Darwin after have sorted out with the payment, i want to be sure if it is still in good condition ,i will not be able to come for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of it. I don't mind adding an extra $300.00 for you just to take down the posting.

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .
And...

Quote:
Thanks for the swift response...I am OK with the asking price.due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au and sign up.you can alternatively send your bsb and account number you can receive a direct deposit into your bank account from paypal.I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.You can now send me your details so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.Kindly delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you and it will not be picked up until you have your funds credit to your bank account,kindly help me look into this and get back to me asap.Thanks.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

Am buying this for my son for his 21st birthday. He lives in Darwin presently so is going to be shipped to Darwin after have sorted out with the payment, i want to be sure if it is still in good condition ,i will not be able to come for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of it. I don't mind adding an extra $300.00 for you just to take down the posting.

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .
Hasn't his son got any transport yet?

He replied to my Gumtree Ad 6 months ago when we were selling our Fairlane
Old 24-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I've had my bike on the market for a couple of months on gumtree, bikesales and just bikes and had about 6 scammer attempts. ...........
Here's a guy thats looking to purchase a bike

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...14#post5219814
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post