Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
AAXR8

Question Oiling of K&N Air Filter

I was wondering guys, & this happens to me all the time!!! I have a K&N 4''x9'' Hi Flow Pod filter on my cold air Intake on my XR8 Boss 260 and every every time I oil it I only use 3/4 of the oil recommended on the web site which is 51mls. Now the filters oiled perfectly now, Evenly oiled!! But I have only Used 35mls!! Would you guys use the rest of the oil or just leave it so I don't accidentally over oil it so it dosn't start dripping every where by going over 51mls?? & it can be easy done using the oil bottle.
THANKS GUYS

, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
dogger

Don't they come in a pressurized can anymore?
If it's evenly coated (red oil so you know?) then that's it mate. You'll get two cleans out of it then...
dogger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Oiling of K&N Air Filter

I stopped using the Kn cause no matter how carefully you do it it stuffs the MAF sensor.

And the dyno says no performance gains.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger View Post
Don't they come in a pressurized can anymore?
If it's evenly coated (red oil so you know?) then that's it mate. You'll get two cleans out of it then...
Hi, Yeah you can buy the Pressed Can or Squeeze Bottle but they still sell half & half depends where you buy it from! I bought the cleaner & oil in a squeeze bottle a Year and a half ago off Ebay and hated it at first, but it slides nice along the mesh where the cotton is once you get you get the hang of it!!!

So if it gets in the MAF sensor I might not put anymore on because every time I have cleaned one, I oil it I properly weight 24 hours before I put it back in the car just to make sure its oiled evenly and does not run anywhere both ways! But like I was asking every time I never seem to put the exact amount on & I squeeze firmly! It must be the bottle only letting a little mount out?? Whats it do when it hits the MAF Sensor??
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
rokkiesa

The boss 260 does not use a maf sensor it has a map sensor. A mates patrol maf was fouled by a k&n filter. He said over time it lacked power
rokkiesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cover the filter until basically its red as its supposed to be.
Can also dab with a paper towel a couple times then whack it back in.

I found using the K&N kits with the cleaner and oil spray was a rip off.
Started using normal degreaser and bought the spray can only. Worked fine.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
AAXR8

Question Re: Oiling of K&N Air Filter

Thanks Guys. I ended up putting another light coating of K&N oil over it and made sure I did not miss any so as I said in the first post a 4" x 9"
takes 51mls of oil and I ended up using 41mls and honeslty I really does not need the extra oil! My Local Repco dealer which know a fair bit about all sorts of Cars because they are all EX-Mechanics from the Old Kinsgswoods to the Latest FG's and Every other car also & they said with a K&N Filter you really need half the amount of oil that you would think! But Specs are specs and I had a Motorbike a CR250 and if the filter was wet or dirty or Muddy it lost 1/4 of its power so there was no point in using it! ( Not Fast Enough ) And I had the aerosol Motul spray for the filter and I do remember know bacause its been 6 years since I sold it & it was easy to over spray so it dripped oil so Maybe thats whats happening with some people accidently over spraying them. JUST MY OPINION!!! I spoke with Rocket Performance the guys in Sydney that have alot to do with racing because I wanted to see How much the 3A Racing filters are because I have heard they won a Magazine Test, and any others they would recommend!! They said and I Quote " They will only Sell K&N Filters and the Sales guy said that every car Rocket Sponsers only has K&N Fiters in them because they are the best!!
Anyway I don't Listen to Everyone My sell!!!! But Rocket do have alot to do with Racing & Performance!! But my question was about oil and I looked up what problems when the MAF-MAP sensor has a problem & it says on the Internet that when dirt from a filter gets through on to the Sensor and oiling a K&N Filter is suppose to stop that! maybe the filters as mentioned before were over oiled because they do specify that if your filter still runs with dripping oil over 20mins then to re due the cleaning again because to much oil will cause problems, So that has to be it, They maybe over oiled?????? Cheers
!!
247 RWKW

Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkiesa View Post
The boss 260 does not use a maf sensor it has a map sensor. A mates patrol maf was fouled by a k&n filter. He said over time it lacked power
Correct, no MAF in a Boss 260 or 290. I would still try to give coverage with the oil without going too heavy on it. The Boss motors pull a lot of oil into the plenum from the PCV anyway.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #9
zilo
BANNED

Slab of beer on me for anyone producing a dyno result on any Ford where a KN makes any meaningful numbers on a Dyno Dynamics dynometer versus a stock paper filter.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Slab of beer on me for anyone producing a dyno result on any Ford where a KN makes any meaningful numbers on a Dyno Dynamics dynometer versus a stock paper filter.
I think, for me at least, it's not so much the 'extra power', but the ability to clean it every few months rather than having to buy a new paper filter.
The K&N pays for itself pretty quick.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Don't oil it. With my growler the cleaning instructions said just spray with a light coat of WD40 or equivalent. Over oiling seems to be the biggest issue.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
damo6
turbo pilot

i spray the intake (air in) side only as i have with all my previous cars for years and have no probs with it all,only one side needs to be oiled and lightly at that.if you have a new one give it a wash first as they are absolutely soaked with oil when new
Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
dogger

The filter is only a very fine cotton mesh held in by the wire grid so don't ever try to dry or clean them with an air compressor as it will just either blow holes in the filter or separate the knitting in the cotton.
My father in-law did this for me years ago and being old (hard of hearing and seeing) he damaged a few areas on the filter.
Not a big problem but still I'd advise against it...

As far as gains on the stock filter vs K&N filter types and even no filter debate it's been proven time and time again that they work and work well so if there is someone out there who owns there own shop with dyno you better head to the nearest bottle-o...
I have swapped and changed on the fly while on the dyno with my old tuner (2005-6) and xr6t's and my own supercharged ba xr8.
Check the AFR's when doing it this...
Push 20-40psi through a stock filter then change it over for K&N or even the foam filter style and see the AFR's!

Anyway...For such a small outlay and something that never needs replacing or cleaning for that matter unless you live in dust it's a no brainer and plus majority of people rarely keep the standard intake setup so an aftermarket item is needed.

Here is a youtube video of the Mighty Car Mod blokes (excellent stuff) which disproves my above info but hey there are many factors-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

Also on a different note, watch this one also which is just wow-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

Something about once you go black...Haha
Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
zilo
BANNED

^^^^^ mate I am talking about guys who think that simply putting a KN filter will yield some sort of magical gains..

40 psi through your 2005 XR6T? Or your supercharged BA XR8?

I'd like to see that.....LMAO
Old 24-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
dogger

Zilo's above comment is reasons why you should read (and let your brain absorb) responses properly before replying...

The testing was done in 2005-06!
And 20-40psi (350-700rwkw) is the rough range of these boosted cars with standard or built motors!

Anyway zilo, you stick with the stock paper filter and your MAF sensor won't get hurt on your holden... And every tuner will also tell you to ggf!

Now that is worth a LMAO!
Old 26-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
The testing was done in 2005-06!
And 20-40psi (350-700rwkw) is the rough range of these boosted cars with standard or built motors!

!
40 psi boost with a stock motor?

I bet you can't prove it....
Old 26-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used one on a dirt track race car using standard BA airbox and what i can say is the day i swapped it out for the standard one i got some fine dust into the intake tube, never happened with the k and n oiled as per instructions, never measured the oil. dont want to use one dont use one, hell i dont care if you use an old sock.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #18
dogger

Quote:

Again, read first before blurting your mouth off... But search Dave Sheehy and others on youtube if you want to be a smart *** though!
Better still just do some research before making a fool of yourself and johnydep for liking your posts!

Seeing as you know sfa about these cars, standard motor 20-25psi and modified 40psi or whatever you can jam in them!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could always do what I did once..

I tend to take instructions very literally, so when it said to oil liberally, I did...

Then found it to still be soaked 2 days later hahaha.

That was one of the moments were I realised I really have no mechanical abilities..

Last edited by DBourne; 03-09-2014 at 01:35 PM.
DBourne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Yeah man, Cummins 6BT
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #21
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All filters will allow some dirt through regardless of the type, you might not see it but it's there. From my dirt bike days (only a few years ago), it didn't matter what brand of air filter or brand of oil and ride around some of the dustiest tracks for a few hours, pull the filter, shine a torch into the airbox and then wipe your finger down the inside and see the difference...huge. Micro dust particles and heaps of it. You don't see that in your cars simply because you don't spend a day thrashing around a dusty motocross or desert enduro track but it is still getting through.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Again, read first before blurting your mouth off... But search Dave Sheehy and others on youtube if you want to be a smart *** though!
Better still just do some research before making a fool of yourself and johnydep for liking your posts!

Seeing as you know sfa about these cars, standard motor 20-25psi and modified 40psi or whatever you can jam in them!

me thinks you are confusing tyre pressure with intake boost pressure.

2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #23
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I always just give mine a really light coat of oil. Over-oiling will have detrimental effects if anything. It's overkill and not needed.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
All filters will allow some dirt through regardless of the type, you might not see it but it's there. From my dirt bike days (only a few years ago), it didn't matter what brand of air filter or brand of oil and ride around some of the dustiest tracks for a few hours, pull the filter, shine a torch into the airbox and then wipe your finger down the inside and see the difference...huge. Micro dust particles and heaps of it. You don't see that in your cars simply because you don't spend a day thrashing around a dusty motocross or desert enduro track but it is still getting through.
I get that on my Ranger with stock filter, trying a uni filter (dual stage foam) now.

Not much but any dust in is not nice!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #25
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now using the dual stage uni filter on my race car, pain to wash all the time but no dust in the turbo so far
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #26
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I use an expansion foam filter. Guaranteed no dust. lol
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #27
G6T

[QUOTE=zilo;5203646]me thinks you are confusing tyre pressure with intake boost pressure.

[/QUO
as stated above do some research apart from dave i believe also spiro before DLM in early days & after got some big numbers out of these motors with big boost .
FPV BF F6 TYPHOON in TOXIC green BUILT ENGINE & MT built ZF, FORCED PERFORMANCE turbo HTA 37r Turbo e85 26psi= 525 rwkw 1162nm its DMENTD . BUILT & TUNED by ( PROFILE AUTOSPORTS ) first time on dyno after run in =
Pacific Ford and FPV Carshow - DMENTD Dyno Run base 22psi on 98 : https://youtu.be/PoONpkk7qJE
G6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post