Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 AM   #1
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Default The end to my idle saga!

This will be long so bear with me...

Well as most of you know I've had quite a few drama's with my car. I've whinged and bit**ed and gone on and on about the never ending idle saga all since the install of the dev4 cam. Last week after some explosive disagreements over this car's issue's I decided to finally get it all over with and give it one last go at sorting out the idle/choking/stalling issue's. Yesterday it finally happen!

I handed my car over to Mark at Dynomotive (http://www.dynomotive.com.au/) and he worked his magic on it. I had the Unichip fitted and must say I am impressed with it. My A/F is back on track and as it should be. It's a dream to drive now and feels ALOT smoother. And most importantly, no idle issue's! Mark sorted out the vaccuum problem for me and has turned my car into a bit of a 'hooner'. It's alot quicker off the mark now which I'm enjoying and gave the EL a good run. For those that don't know, we have a 5.0ltr EL f/ghia. Yesterday we ran from standstill and while he geared and I didn't, we were almost dead even side by side! Well he got me - only just. Didn't matter to me that I lost - fact is I kept up and that was good enough for me considering last week I'd have been lucky to even take off without it stalling lol.

I'm glad I stuck with the dev4 cam. I said many times that I would get this cam working as it should and finally it's on track! I knew that in the right hands this cam would work and it does. It's working very well alongside the Unichip and idles like a dream. Great performance - no choking - no stalling - no idle hunting - purrrrfect! And it was all done in ½ a day!

I'm happy with my 137.8 but even happier that my A/F is now spot on. Mark's a top bloke and I'd recommend him to anyone.

And now a few thankyou's need to go out: apart from thanking everyone who has come to my aid with this car I need to especially thank Useless and Spiro for putting me intouch with Mark Also like to thank Chris for all your support and help!! Very much appreciated mate. And T2TL50 for always dropping what he's doing to come over and help out.

Hopefully this is now the end of my saga and of my whinging LOL. I figure I'll leave well enough alone so I don't think I'll be pushing for any more power or doing any more mods. I'm very happy with it as it is now and don't wanna push my luck lol. Everyday I'll be chanting "ignore the mod bug IGNORE THE MOD BUG!!!!!"

When I can get my scanner working I'll post up a link to the Dyno sheet.
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
carratt
I Love My T3

Well that's a DAMN good start to my day Krissy. I'm sooo happy for you!

edit: whoops, changed it to what it was supposed to be, Give me a break, it was 5:30 when I wrote that lol.

Last edited by carratt; 11-06-2005 at 07:38 AM.
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Brad why is there a question mark at the end of your sentence? Are you unsure about whether you're happy for me LOL. Just kidding :p

Thanks. 'Bout time huh?! I actually look forward to starting my car today LOLLL!!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I am glad Kristeena. It made me sad that you posted that you had your children in your car while driving and it stalled. It was dangerous.

Hey ...a good result too. Well the chip is necessary for the dev 4 regardless. Sprio from Autotech did recommend Mark from Dynomotive down there and they havent let us down.

I got 134- 136 rwkws with the dev 4 cam ,and you got 137 ..looks like a consistent result to me...JonBays is probably choking while reading this post with his 137 rwkws with a dev 3 hl only.

Ah well its finally running and quite goosd torque fro the sounds of it...Me I am hunting for another 10 -20 rwkws in the cam timing still.

Take care and enjoy the thing!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Thats great news Kristeena and I am glad your car is now nicely sorted but I do have to say the DEV3HL idles well and produced more power WITH A STOCK HEAD AND WITHOUT A UNICHIP than either yours or useless DEV4 cammed cars.

From both your experiences I would be guessing the DEV4 reallly relies on the extra flow of a ported head to achieve what the dev 3HL does with extra lift.

Anyway the unichip is certainly the go and this is my next mod too.

I will post up how it goes so all can learn from our hard won experience.

Its no good if everyone just wrote up their success and forgot to mention the trials and tribulations of modding your car. So I was always keen to follow your progress as you told it all warts and all.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Hopefully this is now the end of my saga and of my whinging LOL. I figure I'll leave well enough alone so I don't think I'll be pushing for any more power or doing any more mods. I'm very happy with it as it is now and don't wanna push my luck lol. Everyday I'll be chanting "ignore the mod bug IGNORE THE MOD BUG!!!!!"
haha it never ends

Its good to hear there's a happy ending in this.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

Good stuff.
Dynomotive have always been really good from what i've seen.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
the DEV3HL idles well and produced more power WITH A STOCK HEAD AND WITHOUT A UNICHIP than either yours or useless DEV4 cammed cars.

I will post up how it goes so all can learn from our hard won experience.

Its no good if everyone just wrote up their success and forgot to mention the trials and tribulations of modding your car.
Absolutely.!!! I know that people rather say nothing on a public forum and let other people fall into the same problems. if the cams live up to expectations the dev 3 would be giving similar results as dev 4.. I now know that the dev4 is clocked up right 10000 % and a trip to the same dyno will tell a story.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 11-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
but I do have to say the DEV3HL idles well and produced more power WITH A STOCK HEAD AND WITHOUT A UNICHIP than either yours or useless DEV4 cammed cars.
Nobody likes a showoff _ :P
Old 11-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Sorry Krissy not trying to upset you or show off at all. My cars not all that special, I was well and truly done in on the dyno day by another guy with an EB with a DEV3hl that put out 145rwkw! I think he is going to go for a dev5 now but not a dev4!

I would have been genuinely pleased for my mate useless' wagon to do better with the dev4 than mine with the Dev3HL. I do think a lot of JMM even if I do try and second guess them a bit and want to work things out for myself.

I am a big fan of their work. But they did warn me about my take the best bits and pieces from a range of different tuners approach to modding as being very unlikely to succeed unless I put in as much time as they do to produce their dev kits.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Smile

So glad to hear that it's sorted for you Krissy.

What did they have to do in particular?

George

P.S I miss your puss in boots avitar! I only realised just the other day that it was from Shrek 2. It took me way too long to see such a funny film LOL.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 05:19 AM   #12
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Sorry Krissy not trying to upset you or show off at all.
Lol it's all good mate, I was only havin' a lend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
So glad to hear that it's sorted for you Krissy. What did they have to do in particular?
A priest was called in to bless it

J/K - I was meant to get a re-dial but instead he just adjusted/bypassed idle to bring the vacuum back up. Thinking about it now, had he re-dialled, I may have gained some more kw's maybe? Hmmmmm interesting ....

Finally got my scanner working. CLICK HERE to view Dyno sheet.

Last edited by FRDGAL; 12-06-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 29-06-2005, 03:58 AM   #13
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

It's been almost 3 weeks now since having the Unichip fitted and here are my thoughts:

1) When I picked the car up I felt like take off had improved quite alot. I now realise that that wasn't exactly the case. It was all in my head. See I'd been driving the EL which is a V8 with a heavy pedal so ofcourse when I finally picked my car up it jumped at take-off due to it's light to the touch pedal. Basically, there's not a huge improvement to my take-off - but there definately is a 'slight' overall improvement. There had to be for me to keep up with the EL head to head when I couldn't do that before. I still have an issue with low-down power (around 0-50) but once it winds up and kicks in it's awesome!

2) My A/F mixture seemed to be back on track for a week but now it's almost back to what it was - ranging between 20l/km - 25l/km - and only 2/3 times I've seen it at 18/19l/km - could this be a result of my idle being so high? Or could the Unichip be faulty? Because I was under the impression the Unichip would help with the A/F? As I said though, the first week it ran quite well but I'm now chewing through petrol while driving normally. That's just not right and I need to have that looked at.

Now here's the strange stuff - having said all that - there is a small roundabout near my place that only a fool would try to spin his wheels around lol. I've never spun my wheels turning at that round-a-bout BUT the other day as I approached it, I tapped on the pedal only slightly and the rear wheel went psycho on me and all I did was tap the pedal as I was turning right at this round-a-bout. "WHAT THE HELL?" I thought ... it wasn't wet on the roads. It was dry.

I must be missing something here lol. Could it be that I still don't know my own car. Because I've admitted many times before that I've yet to learn how to drive it - maybe it has alot more since Unichip but I'm not tapping into it properly? I don't know. Maybe I'm holding back because I'm not sure I want to know what it's capable of LOL.

That's my update so far. There's certainly a 'slight' improvement and most importantly my idle is still perfect and A1 and it's still smooth and a dream to drive. The last time I could start the car on cold mornings and drive off straight away was before the cam went in. It's a good feeling to be able to do that again

Anyway, I just thought I would update for anyone that might have wanted to know how it was going.

Krissy
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 29-06-2005, 04:11 AM   #14
carratt
I Love My T3

Quote:
Anyway, I just thought I would update for anyone that might have wanted to know how it was going.
I think you'll find there are plenty of people out there waiting to hear some good news about your car. you've had such bad luck with it its good to hear things starting to turn around.
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 04:22 AM   #15
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by carratt
I think you'll find there are plenty of people out there waiting to hear some good news about your car. you've had such bad luck with it its good to hear things starting to turn around.
Oh boy have I got news for you. I'll PM ya
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 29-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Your car is quicker Kristeena. I have the same behaviour form my car..yesterday trying to get out of a dangerous situation the thing smoked up and nearly blew a tyre..but got me out of harms way...so well worth t despite the unintentional burnout. Power was used to avoid accident.

Old 29-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #17
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Your car is quicker Kristeena. I have the same behaviour form my car..yesterday trying to get out of a dangerous situation the thing smoked up and nearly blew a tyre..but got me out of harms way...so well worth t despite the unintentional burnout. Power was used to avoid accident.
Yes - I have that aggressive kickdown too. It's awesome! ;)

Lol our driving styles are quite different I think Stav. You WILL push your car to see what it's capable of - I on the other hand haven't even begun to push to it's limits. There's certainly more there. As far as the A/F though - I don't understand what's happening there. As I said in the other thread, it was at 15.6/15.7 all day. Seems it's gone back to being normal again