Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Used Dual cab sub $20k budget

Ok guys, help me out, I've decided to move the Territory on and replace it with a dual cab, budget is sub $20k, probably closer to $15k would be ideal to allow for extra's ie. trailer brakes and Anderson plug to pull the camper.

The ute market has gone crazy recently, they're asking ridiculous money for high mileage junk and things like D40 Navara's with mid 250k's makes me nervous considering the horror stories you hear.

So I've looked at a few, started off in the lower price range with a 2009 PJ Ranger, nice rig, silver, 220k's, auto, a few marks $13k drove real nice except for a rough 3-4 change.
My Wife likes the PX model due to the more contoured look but unfortunately the only versions in our price range are 2013 models in 4x2 XL Highrider trim with the 2.2l, are these any good, I can get a nice one with just over 200k's with canopy for around $16k.

Im not too keen on buying privately as I don't want to mess around with checking on money owing etc, and would like a 3mth warranty for peace of mind so caryards it is.
What do you guys suggest I should be looking for in that budget.

Last edited by BENT_8; 08-08-2020 at 12:31 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Used Dual cab sub $20k budget

Would you consider V6 Hilux? Bit thirsty but they go alright and the only common problems are alternators.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...18903232/?Cr=4

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6583572/?Cr=1

If you want anderson plug and trailer brakes, insist on Redarc smart solenoid SBI12 (or SBI12D) for the anderson plug setup and tow pro elite unit for the electric brakes.

https://www.redarc.com.au/smart-start-sbi-12v-100a

https://www.redarc.com.au/electric-t...ake-controller

We fitted hundreds of these ****ers and never had one come back for a warranty for the solenoid and only one warranty on the tow pro elite - your local independent auto electrician can do this for you.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-08-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I would Franco, having funded the day to day running costs of a 4sp auto Territory early teens/100km isn't out of the question.
I've considered most petrol versions of these utes with the exception of the 3.6l Colorado for obvious reasons.
A mate has a 3.5l Triton and loves it, he pulls a camper with it and barely notices it on the back.

Cheers for the advice on the electrics too, I ran one of those isolators on the territory and like the clean non obtrusive look of those brake controllers too, the Terri had a Guardian hanging off under the steering wheel which id often bump with my knee.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

BT50 is essentially a cheap Ranger. These all get the 3.2 5cyl.

Unfortunately a quick look says SA is dead. Are you willing to buy from interstate? Most dealers will freight cars these days, but it would obviously mean no test drive and not sure how the warranty would work.

Then there is the D-Max but no idea what the reputation of those things is like in the price range you are looking at.

Supply and demand will be keeping Hilux and Ranger prices on the higher end.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Unfortunately a quick look says SA is dead. Are you willing to buy from interstate? Most dealers will freight cars these days, but it would obviously mean no test drive and not sure how the warranty would work.

Then there is the D-Max but no idea what the reputation of those things is like in the price range you are looking at.

The DMax 4JJ1T diesel engine is bullet proof but its a bit agricultural and laggy on the earlier ones.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isuzu dmax or pre-2012 Colorado. The 4JJ1 motors are bullet proof and gave god fuel economy.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I looked at a Dmax last weekend at our local Isuzu dealer, 2010 model with 250k's in red for $15k, looked good in the pics but the paint in person was ordinary at best, even the salesman who I knew from previous dealings said he knew i'd walk away when I saw it.
He said the new model arrives in 2 weeks and he has a heap of interest so he suggested holding off until the trade ins arrive and he'll find me a good one in my budget.
I don't mind them to be honest, not as sexy as a Ranger but the driveline seems to be where the value is for reliability and its this that im after.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ok guys, help me out, I've decided to move the Territory on and replace it with a dual cab, budget is sub $20k, probably closer to $15k would be ideal to allow for extra's ie. trailer brakes and Anderson plug to pull the camper.

The ute market has gone crazy recently, they're asking ridiculous money for high mileage junk and things like D40 Navara's with mid 250k's makes me nervous considering the horror stories you hear.

So I've looked at a few, started off in the lower price range with a 2009 PJ Ranger, nice rig, silver, 220k's, auto, a few marks $13k drove real nice except for a rough 3-4 change.
My Wife likes the PX model due to the more contoured look but unfortunately the only versions in our price range are 2013 models in 4x2 XL Highrider trim with the 2.2l, are these any good, I can get a nice one with just over 200k's with canopy for around $16k.

Im not too keen on buying privately as I don't want to mess around with checking on money owing etc, and would like a 3mth warranty for peace of mind so caryards it is.
There is a 2009 XLT twin cab 4x4 in one of the used caryards over here (launceston) 173.000km advertised at $17999.Gumtree.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Cheers Rob, Im trying to steer clear of those early 3.2l due to the oil change issues that can happen as I do my own servicing and with my luck it'd happen no matter how careful I was.
If its a Ranger, it'll be either the 3.0l in PJ or better still PK form or the little 2.2l in PX.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

The v6 hilux is the go
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
There is a 2009 XLT twin cab 4x4 in one of the used caryards over here (launceston) 173.000km advertised at $17999.Gumtree.
Cheers, ive never purchased from interstate so im a bit hesitant to drop that kind of money on something I haven't run an eye over, needs to be an SA car, should have put that in my OP.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Cheers, ive never purchased from interstate so im a bit hesitant to drop that kind of money on something I haven't run an eye over, needs to be an SA car, should have put that in my OP.
I've bought interstate about 3-4 times and there is a risk that's for sure. Mostly for me, the price difference made it a risk worth taking. Two of them I flew and drove them home. Obviously that isn't an option now. My wife's focus came from mt gambier. Carlin and Gazzard for those playing at home. It arrived in my driveway via car carrier. Owned it 10 years now and only failure is an alternator.

These days dealers are set up much better to ship cars. If the right car at the right price popped up, I wouldn't disregard it. While you can focus mainly on local I'd still keep an eye on the national market just in case. You could see if other forum members can check cars out...
Old 08-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely go private with that age car. Many trade in there cars when there is ether an issue with them or they need some big money spent on them, the 3 month warranty in my opinion will be a disaster if the dealer plays hardball. If you go look at private cars, once you get a feel for a good one get it checked by your mechanic. Much more reliable than the dealers mechanic...
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Isuzu dmax or pre-2012 Colorado. The 4JJ1 motors are bullet proof and gave god fuel economy.
What he said.
The Richest guy I know, still drives a Rodeo, and it has taken him up the Canning Stock Route and beyond.

IMHO Diesels are the only way to go in such cars. If you're one of the "ooooh I don't like smelly diesels" brigade, then you want a a big V6 (and an even bigger fuel tank and wallet)
What you really is the Isuzu J engine, and in particular the 4JB1.

I haven't checked out the price differential, I imagine SA would be similar to most (although there might be some bargains going in Melbourne at the moment?)
The important thing is to get a full mechanical work-up done, as that is where cars in that price-bracket can bite you in the butt.
Keep in mind that if you're looking to spend $15k, you need to look at cars around the $12k mark, because they ALL need money spent.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Would you consider something Korean? You get far more for your money as they are not well known.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #16
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V6 in Hilux/Prado is grunty and fun on sand.
For the dual cabs, Isuzu motor has the reputation. Pricing seems so high for well used across the board, in comparison with new prices. What does it take to get into a brand new 4x4 DMax? About 40K?
Old 08-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
I have the 2.2 in a single cab chassis, it performs ok for what it is but I wouldn't want to live with the 2.2 in a bigger and heavier dual cab. Those 2.2 XL dual cabs were aimed at fleets/governments.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #18
hayseed

i was is this exact same position 3&1/2 yrs ago. Only My Budget was a bit stronger than Yours.
Got sick of looking at High Mileage worn out over priced Vehicles. Ended up Buying a Brand New Foton Tunland Ute.

Don't regret It for a Second..All off the shelf components with 3yr 100k warranty ect.

Do yuo really need a Dual cab.??? If not the S/H offerings in you budget are bit better. (IMHO)
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
i was is this exact same position 3&1/2 yrs ago. Only My Budget was a bit stronger than Yours.
Got sick of looking at High Mileage worn out over priced Vehicles. Ended up Buying a Brand New Foton Tunland Ute.

Don't regret It for a Second..All off the shelf components with 3yr 100k warranty ect.

Do yuo really need a Dual cab.??? If not the S/H offerings in you budget are bit better. (IMHO)
If you're happy to take the gamble on Chinese then a Foton Tunland is an alright option, Cummins 2.8L engine.

https://www.cummins.com/engines/isf28

https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrar...es/0043005.pdf

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-102140/

Quote:
The Tunland is powered by a 2.8-litre Cummins turbo-diesel which is turbocharged and intercooled. The engine has a single overhead cam, 16 valves and is controlled by Bosch electronics. Outputs are quoted as 120kW at 3600rpm and 360Nm from 1800-3000rpm.

But now it gets more interesting. The engine is mated to a Getrag five-speed manual transmission, through a Borg Warner two-speed transfer case and then to Dana diffs (the rear being a limited-slip item).
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...18875721/?Cr=4

Thats got a quality off the shelf parts list there

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-08-2020 at 08:38 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #20
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a similar price I'd rather have an immaculate lower km RA Rodeo than a half rooted more modern ute with minimal extra tech and questionable longevity - the old Rodeos are up there with the TD42 Patrols and 1HZ Cruisers for reliability IMO.
But why a dual cab? A proper 4wd wagon from any make will be far better value for $$.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
But why a dual cab? A proper 4wd wagon from any make will be far better value for $$.
Well, funny you should mention that, ive taken quite a liking to the Pajero after my nephew bought one and has been faultless over the 12mths plus hes had it.
Today i ran my eye over a private 07 4th gen VRX 3.2td with family pack, awesome looking rig in champagne with black trim and dark tint, took it for a short run and it was tight as a drum, only concern is DPF reliability on those versions.
About 5k under what the same car is in a yard and less ks.

Certainly giving me cause for consideration.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:16 AM   #22
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The Tunland is powered by a 2.8-litre Cummins turbo-diesel which is turbocharged and intercooled. The engine has a single overhead cam, 16 valves and is controlled by Bosch electronics. Outputs are quoted as 120kW at 3600rpm and 360Nm from 1800-3000rpm.

But now it gets more interesting. The engine is mated to a Getrag five-speed manual transmission, through a Borg Warner two-speed transfer case and then to Dana diffs (the rear being a limited-slip item).
So given they had to buy in all those components, you can imagine how completely **** are the bits they built themselves.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just laid a massive turd.
It's brand new, no kms, and I will sell it really cheap.

But ya know what, it's still a turd.

I know a few people who bought Great Wallies, on the basis that they were new and cheaper than a decent 2nd hand SUV. That had "nothing bad to say about them".
It's possible I suppose, since you have to be a moron to buy one, maybe they're too stupid to realise what an abominable peace of **** it is. More likely though that they simply don't want to admit they were wrong.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with shopping to a budget, and at the right price anything can be a good buy. Problem is that the dealers overcharge for them.
One of the families was offered an appalling value as a trade-in, and ended up selling it privately. At $4.5k, for what was then still only ~7 years old, it was a good buy for the purchasers, but dealers were trying to flog similar ones for over $12k.

Point is, if you want to by a Futon or Ssangyong, hunt around privately and get one dirt cheap.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #24
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
So given they had to buy in all those components, you can imagine how completely **** are the bits they built themselves.
So do you use the same criterea to determine whether trucks are good or otherwise?.Pretty sure Kenworth build their trucks using bought in components?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2020, 12:59 AM   #25
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

High km, but cheap

Nice, but it's in NSW

Very low kms, but exxy, maybe watch and wait and try to talk him down

Not bad, reasonable price
Old 09-08-2020, 01:01 AM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So do you use the same criterea to determine whether trucks are good or otherwise?.Pretty sure Kenworth build their trucks using bought in components?
You can't honestly be that stupid
Old 09-08-2020, 01:10 AM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You realise it only takes 2mins and $2 to do a ppsr check which will show whether there is money owing or not?

https://www.ppsr.gov.au/how-quick-motor-vehicle-search
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #28
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Would you consider V6 Hilux? Bit thirsty but they go alright and the only common problems are alternators.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...18903232/?Cr=4

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6583572/?Cr=1

If you want anderson plug and trailer brakes, insist on Redarc smart solenoid SBI12 (or SBI12D) for the anderson plug setup and tow pro elite unit for the electric brakes.

https://www.redarc.com.au/smart-start-sbi-12v-100a

https://www.redarc.com.au/electric-t...ake-controller

We fitted hundreds of these ****ers and never had one come back for a warranty for the solenoid and only one warranty on the tow pro elite - your local independent auto electrician can do this for you.
My dad has a 2006? Hilux SR 4.0 4x4. I took it up the forest in March and went off roading. 330,000 kms now. It’s been used and abused, but drives as good as it did when he bought it. About 16L/100. It’s not worth much because of low demand for petrol there, but I would totally buy it off him if I moved back there. It’s a really good torquey engine. Far better than the 3.6 in my Colorado, which has absolutely no low end torque!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2020, 01:28 AM   #29
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

BENT_8

Are you trading the Territory in or selling it privately?

Will the value of the Territory dictate your budget?
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #30
UTXR8

wouldnt touch an auto PJ/PK Ranger with a 10 foot pole....autos have bad history...auto mechanic said 'they all do this ...hunt...surge....'I had a PK dual cab and was easily the worst pile of crap i ever owned...thirsty...bouncy...stuttery....noisy....af ter 1 year, i traded it on a 2014 SSangyong Actyon Sport dual cab....2lt engine....6 speed auto....no comparison in any way....I cannot think of anything the Ranger had that outdoes the SSangyong....maybe the trailer plug was a better quality plastic...Ranger....by memory, was around 600 klm per tank...Actyon, which i still have gets around 950...both similar tank capacity...I paid, at the time (2016) around 18k for the Ranger with under 100,000 klm...the Actyon was a straight swap with around 120,000 klm...i was, and still am, very happy....will never touch a Ranger again, under ANY circumstances....
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: