Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Scott Mo and other pollies

Cav; you do realise that data is April to March so it only goes to March of this year and the March 2020 ones will the telling SOI maps in the context of current events.

Last edited by aussiblue; 24-12-2019 at 12:57 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #32
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never seen it like this before , not this early and some people a lot older than me haven't either. Been around for nearly 60 years and this extreme dryness of our area is what most are talking about , not just me .

You have maps/charts/records , that's fine but whether you believe in climate change or not the absolute living reality is that fires/floods and extreme weather events are more hazardous now than ever before as we expand further out from the cities and such .

There is a lot more people , property and wildlife affected as each year passes so management is the key to mitigate this .

The University of Tasmania has done a lot of research into dry lightning strikes too that's seen it being a largely irrelevant cause of bushfire a few decades ago to now a major reason .

It's a lot more than just temperature . Extended extremes of weather is more the point and what effect that has on the environment and therefore the risks .

Last edited by roddy1960; 24-12-2019 at 12:51 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I've never seen it like this before , not this early and some people a lot older than me haven't either. Been around for nearly 60 years and this extreme dryness of our area is what most are talking about , not just me .

You have maps/charts/records , that's fine but whether you believe in climate change or not the absolute living reality is that fires/floods and extreme weather events are more hazardous now than ever before as we expand further out from the cities and such .

There is a lot more people , property and wildlife affected as each year passes so management is the key to mitigate this .

The University of Tasmania has done a lot of research into dry lightning strikes too that's seen it being a largely irrelevant cause of bushfire a few decades ago to now a major reason .

It's a lot more than just temperature . Extended extremes of weather is more the point and what effect that has on the environment and therefore the risks .
So what is being done to mitigate these risks? That's where the progress is, now is the time to get the boffins over at the University of Tasmania looking into potential solutions to mitigate the damages when disasters occur.

At the moment its just finger pointing at the figurehead at the helm of the country, Scomo ain't got the power to make it rain (as in water, not spondoolies ).

The problem is that working on solutions and investigations don't get media attention, pointing the finger does.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #34
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
So what is being done to mitigate these risks? That's where the progress is, now is the time to get the boffins over at the University of Tasmania looking into potential solutions to mitigate the damages when disasters occur.

At the moment its just finger pointing at the figurehead at the helm of the country, Scomo ain't got the power to make it rain (as in water, not spondoolies ).

The problem is that working on solutions and investigations don't get media attention, pointing the finger does.
Exactly , you're right on that..Like I said , the Sco Mo holiday thing by media and other pollies is not that important..But policies at all levels of Gov is.. He can't make it rain but maybe hopefully they can do some practical things to help quicker , faster and more efficiently when things do happen . Any improvement there would be welcomed by pretty much everybody..
Old 24-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #35
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Cav; you do realise that data is April to March so it only goes to March of this year and the March 2020 ones will the telling SOI maps in the context of current events.
Yes you are right of course, but the more important point is that there is a wealth of information about the history of Australia's climate.

The hottest, coldest, wettest, dryest records have yet to exceed historical data.

Records such as hottest year and hottest day of recent times are not because it is hotter, it is because the nights have not been as cold, hence the records relate to AVERAGES and not absolute maximums.

No body denies that the earth is warming, therefore actual maximum temperatures should continually being set, but that is not happening yet. Unless of course the BOM only lists temperatures from 1910 thereby avoiding maximums set in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

If you see a temperature graph and it omits data from the 1880s to 1910, then you know there is an agenda.

I could show you the graphs, but facts don't matter these days.
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #36
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Yes you are right of course, but the more important point is that there is a wealth of information about the history of Australia's climate.

The hottest, coldest, wettest, dryest records have yet to exceed historical data.

No body denies that the earth is warming, therefore actual maximum temperatures should continually being set, but that is not happening yet. Unless of course the BOM only lists temperatures from 1910 thereby avoiding maximums set in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

If you see a temperature graph and it omits data from the 1880s to 1910, then you know there is an agenda.

I could show you the graphs, but facts don't matter these days.
Outraged greenie don't know that the earth has been warming since the last Ice age.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #37
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Outraged greenie don't know that the earth has been warming since the last Ice age.
key word being 'last ice age' .. in the context that there will be another one or two at least.

In the most recent one it separated Tassie from the rest (some might be happy about that on both sides) and created a few other new islands and changed animal and plant distribution etc.. but across the planet we didn't have nearly 8 billion people to feed and house in those days.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #38
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
key word being 'last ice age' .. in the context that there will be another one or two at least.

In the most recent one it separated Tassie from the rest (some might be happy about that on both sides) and created a few other new islands and changed animal and plant distribution etc.. but across the planet we didn't have nearly 8 billion people to feed and house in those days.
Yes key word being "last", so it will cool down again.
Would be nice to live in NE Victoria on the Coast.

This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #39
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I dunno why I am doing this but here goes.

As part of the Bicentennial Celebrations, a set of booklets was produced that outline Australia's history - they were 10 years in the making.

My wife bought a copy - there are 12 volumes.

There is one on statistics.

This is what I found regarding max and minimum temperatures.

You won't find these figures by searching the internet.

Between 1987 (when these figures were compiled) and 2019, these temperatures were changed. Indeed many of the temperatures have been written down by 2 degrees.

As Professor Julius Sumner-Millar would say, "Why is this so?"
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #40
hayseed

Quote:

Between 1987 (when these figures were compiled) and 2019, these temperatures were changed. Indeed many of the temperatures have been written down by 2 degrees.

As Professor Julius Sumner-Millar would say, "Why is this so?"
Because of the Stevenson Screen weather station...Maybe...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #41
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Have a read of Jennifer Marohasys research into how the BOM manipulate the data to suit their agenda. For example the Bureau has deleted the hottest day ever recorded with a mercury thermometer in a Stevenson screen, which was 51.6 degrees Celsius at Bourke in 1909.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #42
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't want to argue with anybody here ...because there are some great points and stats that suggest all sorts of things and make a lot of sense , especially from Cav's numbers . I get all that . Thanks for going to so much trouble by the way because I couldn't do that .

I think my point is that it's more that sustained periods of temperature change and weather extremes and overall effects given the way we use and abuse this planet of ours now.
It's imperative that politicians everywhere and I do mean everywhere get their heads out of the sand get stuck in right now and come up with not paper figures to meet certain protocols but tangible decisions that will start to make living with these overall effects better.

We won't see really big differences because it'll take a bloody long time but we all know that with a massive load on resources and a population that's increasing all the time these decisions based on a huge amount of science have to be made and those pollies are in the hot seat almost literally .

We might not like some hard decisions but there is no other real option IMO..
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #43
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
OK I finally get it.

You hate Scomo because your bloke didn't win.
your not picking on billary are you..How Dare You..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #44
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't want to argue with anybody here ...because there are some great points and stats that suggest all sorts of things and make a lot of sense , especially from Cav's numbers . I get all that . Thanks for going to so much trouble by the way because I couldn't do that .

I think my point is that it's more that sustained periods of temperature change and weather extremes and overall effects given the way we use and abuse this planet of ours now.
It's imperative that politicians everywhere and I do mean everywhere get their heads out of the sand get stuck in right now and come up with not paper figures to meet certain protocols but tangible decisions that will start to make living with these overall effects better.

We won't see really big differences because it'll take a bloody long time but we all know that with a massive load on resources and a population that's increasing all the time these decisions based on a huge amount of science have to be made and those pollies are in the hot seat almost literally .

I do find it funny that those who demand action always demand action from someone else (usually politicians).
Well hey, nothing is stopping those people doing the demanding, to give up their comfortable western lifestyle full of materialistic consumerism and excess wastage.

What do you propose these politicians do to ‘act’ on this 21st century woke religious scam?
So far all I’ve seen is policies that make or will make living costs rise for the middle and working classes.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #45
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting video on the current bush fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cx...LmG5iEfGxZ9gq8
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #46
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Interesting video on the current bush fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cx...LmG5iEfGxZ9gq8
that's the same guy who cried when billary lost to scomo,,
and then preceded to go full on SJW on the oz public, not interested in he's opinions...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #47
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I agree Roddy, we all need to make some tough decisions to help the planet, so with that in mind, I assume a bloke who's been on the planet for 6 decades and therefore wouldn't have kids at home to cart around, will start by making the tough decision to flog off one or both of those fossil fuel guzzling, 6 cylinder family sedans in your avatar and buy a more environmentally friendly means of transport suited to 1 or 2 people.

Or not...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #48
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I agree Roddy, we all need to make some tough decisions to help the planet, so with that in mind, I assume a bloke who's been on the planet for 6 decades and therefore wouldn't have kids at home to cart around, will start by making the tough decision to flog off one or both of those fossil fuel guzzling, 6 cylinder family sedans in your avatar and buy a more environmentally friendly means of transport suited to 1 or 2 people.

Or not...
Ya never know..we all might have to do that before too long or the government might make the decision for us ..exactly my point .
They might even make it necessary to all drive electric or hybrid before too many more years or make you pay a fortune for a fossil fuel car . How'd you feel about that?

Last edited by roddy1960; 25-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 25-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Ya never know..we all might have to do that before too long or the government might make the decision for us ..exactly my point .
Why wait for them to act, if its as important to you as you portray why not take the initiative and set an example, it might be only one small action, but as individuals we can all start with the things we can change around us.
You could even get on social media and tell Scomo how you're doing your bit.

I did my bit, we had two big family cars and when the eldest two got their licenses we bought a SUV as a tow tug/family car for the remaining 4 of us and the little Picanto for the environment.

C'mon Roddy, think of those dry valleys mate.

Lets be honest here Roddy, on any given day you can look around you in traffic and see dozens of big inefficient vehicles often containing sole occupants, if every one of those people traded down to what they need as opposed to what they want it would have a much greater effect than the decisions of an elected figurehead who may or may not be in that position in 3 years time, or less on recent historical trends, but the truth is whilst everyone wants to look as though they care and bang away on their keyboards on social media, they only really care if it doesn't impact on their immediate futures.

Last edited by BENT_8; 25-12-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 25-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #50
superyob
Banned

They can take my ZD Fairlane... from my cold, dead hands...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Everyone else conserve fuel because I'll take every last drop that you don't use

I'm looking at replacing my diesel Focus daily and I have entertained the idea of one of those EVs like a Holden Volt or Nissan Note e-Power NISMO S where its an electric vehicle but it has an ICE only as a generator for the electric motor.

Not so much out of concern for the environment more so that I'm sickened, but curious.

The NISMO makes literally the same power and torque as my Focus did when it was stock - but it'd be 320NM from 1 RPM rather than 2000 RPM

https://www.caradvice.com.au/689681/...aled-in-japan/

Appears to be available for import, second hand low KM seem to be going for $25K-$30K landed.

Only has 1.5kWh battery bank so it would be cheaper to replace when it flogs out - looks pretty cool too for a small car:

Looks promising.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 25-12-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 25-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #52
superyob
Banned

As a teacher in a high school, I can tell you that young people could not give a stuff about climate alarmism and were quite contemptuous of Greta.

Off course, I do nothing to change this perception.

I think I am a bad man.

A toxic masculinist with white privilege or some such rot...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
As a teacher in a high school, I can tell you that young people could not give a stuff about climate alarmism and were quite contemptuous of Greta.

Off course, I do nothing to change this perception.

I think I am a bad man.

A toxic masculinist with white privilege or some such rot...
Probably depends on where you are - in the inner Melbourne suburbs it's a Greens electorate and everyone is a Kombucha drinking lefty and that's the adults.

I'm copping 50c 'environment' tax on every coffee I buy because I refuse to bring a Keepcup to the cafe, yes it would probably be cheaper to spend $30 on a keepcup than pay a few hundred bucks a year in avoidable taxes but its about the principle

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 25-12-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 25-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #54
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Probably depends on where you are - in the inner Melbourne suburbs it's a Greens electorate and everyone is a Kombucha drinking lefty and that's the adults.

I'm copping 50c 'environment' tax on every coffee I buy because I refuse to bring a Keepcup to the cafe
I don't think I saw any 'strike for climate' protests in Australia?
Brainwashed hypocritical middle - upperclass white kids protesting about climate change.
They are likely all on holiday at this time of the year via Boeing/Airbus or a large six figure SUV with equally expensive boat or van in tow.

superyob - We can expect to see you oust from such a role by the thought police in not too distant future hey.
You'll be contender for front page news, drawing reactions from triggered do gooders.
Simplistic leftist analogy of not agreeing with Greta = hate & bullying. MSM and bloggers from the left have told us this hate and bullying is only being carried out by old white men.
Guessing you're regional. Where approach to life is more pragmatic, and the average teen from the country has more life skills than the inner city fragile leftist encapsed within their echo chamber at twice the age.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2019, 12:50 AM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I don't think I saw any 'strike for climate' protests in Australia?
Brainwashed hypocritical middle - upperclass white kids protesting about climate change.
They are likely all on holiday at this time of the year via Boeing/Airbus or a large six figure SUV with equally expensive boat or van in tow.

superyob - We can expect to see you oust from such a role by the thought police in not too distant future hey.
You'll be contender for front page news, drawing reactions from triggered do gooders.
Simplistic leftist analogy of not agreeing with Greta = hate & bullying. MSM and bloggers from the left have told us this hate and bullying is only being carried out by old white men.
Guessing you're regional. Where approach to life is more pragmatic, and the average teen from the country has more life skills than the inner city fragile leftist encapsed within their echo chamber at twice the age.
I noticed that most climate protesting coincidentally happened on a school day and not on 'their time'.

When I went to school any excuse for a day off and we'd be in it
Old 26-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #56
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well then Bent 8. I guess I am a hypocrite immediately now then if I don't buy an EV or something similar . I admit it . Does that make you feel happy that I'm really the tosser you probably always thought I was ?

As for protesters comments from whoever...Last time I looked it was a free country that allowed people to legally protest if they so wished even if some a hypocrites like I obviously am .
Old 26-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #57
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I did my bit, we had two big family cars and when the eldest two got their licenses we bought a SUV as a tow tug/family car for the remaining 4 of us and the little Picanto for the environment.
Hum, never thought of buying a new imported plastic Korean car as saving the planet.
roddy's cars will probably last 4 times longer, saving far more in valuable resources in the future.

Old 26-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Well then Bent 8. I guess I am a hypocrite immediately now then if I don't buy an EV or something similar . I admit it . Does that make you feel happy that I'm really the tosser you probably always thought I was ?

As for protesters comments from whoever...Last time I looked it was a free country that allowed people to legally protest if they so wished even if some a hypocrites like I obviously am .
Don't take it personally Roddy, we're all guilty of it and could all make a difference quite easily if we really wanted to, that's my point, we all want someone to do something so long as it doesn't impact on our lifestyles, no one's innocent.
Old 26-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #59
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
not interested in he's opinions...
fair enough, but he does reference some relevant stats which are pretty hard to argue with.

1. the NSW government cut the number of fire management officers (who have overall responsibility for hazard reduction burns) from 36 to 10. the situation is so ridiculous, the government has asked some of these staff to come back and help without pay https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...t-pay/11795824

2. they've slashed the amount of hazard reduction burning, and have ceased maintaining fire trails altogether http://www.pennysharpe.com/cuts_to_n..._bushfire_risk
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #60
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't take it personally Roddy, we're all guilty of it and could all make a difference quite easily if we really wanted to, that's my point, we all want someone to do something so long as it doesn't impact on our lifestyles, no one's innocent.
Okay ..fair enough.. I've probably had too much to say on this subject now so I'll leave it to the others to add their thoughts if they choose . Thanks...