Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 27-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
conmore
Starter Motor

Default Fuel filter replacement.

Hi there

Any Ford guru / automotive techs able to shed some light on how you replace the fuel filter on a 1998 KJ Laser hatchback. The filter sits in a cradle ob the firewall adjacent to the throttle body but lower. I removed the evaporation canister which gains you access to the bolts on the cradle and the outlet hose clamp and hose, but I can't get enough slack in the inlet line to get to the clamp and hose on the bottom of the filter

Even put the vehicle up on ramps top get to it from the bottom but there is too much mechanical stuff in the way.

Has to be an easy way to do this job.. Any clues anyone, please.

Cheers

conmore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Is this an EFI model? If so then I'm sure it would have a metal high pressure fuel filter much the same as my '83 model familiar that is also mounted on the firewall near the throttle body. I am trying to recall how I went about changing mine the last time I did it and I remember that it was a right pain in the ... I had to undo all the screws in the bracket that held it in place and then I went under the car and released the fuel line from its mounting points to give it just enough slack for me to get the hose off.
It pays to have small but strong hands to get in there too : although I'm sure there has to be a much more logical way to do it as I can hardly imagine a professional doing what I did. Anyway once I had the old filter out of the car I replaced the bottom hose with a slightly longer one so that it would be easier to do the job the next time. It also made it much easier to get the new one back in. The trick is to remember to re-catch the metal fuel line under the car back in its clamps otherwise it will rattle like a pig and drive ya nuts.

Maybe take photo and post it here to show the problem which will make it a bit easier to resolve?
Old 28-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
conmore
Starter Motor

Hi there
Yep, it an EFI model and I'm going to try and trace the fuel line back from the inlet of the fuel filter and try and give it some slack there.
Cheers
conmore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post