Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 23-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #121
Jane's Frd Cgr
Starter Motor

Hello, Jane here. Long time listener first time caller. Wondering if anyone knows the build number for the 1999-2002 cats. I would like to know how many there are in Aus/ the world. I bought my girl a year ago and must admit, she is a beauty though totally stock.
Jane's Frd Cgr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #122
cat1999
blueoval

ye a she isnt to bad silver 5 speeder bog stock Im looking for grunt parts but are having a hard time finding any
The computer seems ok on the fuel issue cause manual cals confirm readings

have been having other probs though removed the duratec cover on the engine cause the imrc was not functioning properly Caused by over heating engine seems to skips and misses in the mid range trying to figure it out has had new fdm fitted (fuel delivery module)

Jane frd cgr From what I have been told by for there was only a bout 300 bought in to the country so fairly rare here

Oh and thanks for the welcome aboard
cat1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #123
cat1999
blueoval

bonet lining seems to rub on the ignition leads to front bank not sure if this would be causing any cross firing etc
Old 23-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #124
cat1999
blueoval

Cougarboy
the fuel pump recall was in the us of a and ford Aust is not recalling it here even though we have had the same problems and the fed government is not enforcing the regulations upon ford to recall the car as they dont deem it to be an issue even though the problem may and can cause injur or even death I had my Cougar shut down on me at a speed of 90 kph at normal rpm fortunatley for the road is not normally busy and I was able to pull up safely

the governmant says as long as the can stop there isnt a problem but the problem is no engine means poor brakes and steering as there is no power to provide vacuum to the booster or hydralics to the steering and they say this is not a saftey issue
more like the government doesnt want to stand on the manufacturers toe's be it ford holden or who ever

also the imrc can and does get very hot and can stop functioning properly I noticed with my cougar that it was great when cold but when she got warm I lost the top end power found a post on an american thread that suggested to remove the duratec cover from the engine this helped to a small degree you could also relocate the imrc but you have to carefull as to were you route the cable

cpapashley

Dont forget that Jaguar also used this engine in their Rand X types. if you wont to pay big dollars that is
Old 24-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #125
pcperfection
Cougar

Reported sales figures for the Cougar in Aus are around 1,000 = 900 SW/SX
and 100 Eibach give or take.

Cheers
Mark
pcperfection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #126
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2010 Probes imported from 1993-97.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #127
TheCougar
Lovin Life

Hey Cat1999
If your coug is miss firing and like splattering it could be the coil pack. Im not sure if ur problem is the same as mine but if it is that could well be the prob. might be worth checking out.

Jesse
Old 02-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #128
cat1999
blueoval

Cougarboy
when you talk about moosing noise do you mead if the engine sounds like a truck slowing on exhuast brakes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #129
cat1999
blueoval

theCougar
found that most of my problems have stemed from the imrc and I am now investgating the ivac
Process of elimination
IMRC seemed to be the culprit for the misfiring and splutering as it was not open the secondary throttle at the correct point in the rpm
how ever it doesnt seem to open up at full throtle untin it has reache 3500 to 4000 rpm either so this may also explain why I have no bottom end power
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #130
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcperfection
Well after a reset on the fuel read out I am now on 11.3L/100 down from 12.1l, getting into the habit of doing a reset on each refill for the next few months to monitor the changes.

Cheers
Mark
I get 8.5L/100 on the highway sitting on a 100.
Barry
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #131
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1999
Cougarboy
when you talk about moosing noise do you mead if the engine sounds like a truck slowing on exhuast brakes
That would be it. More info here:
http://tutorials.newcougar.org/HowToThrottleHangFix.pdf

and for your IMRC problem:

http://tutorials.newcougar.org/HowToIMRCFix.pdf

;)

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #132
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz
I get 8.5L/100 on the highway sitting on a 100.
Barry
That sounds about right. I would get anywhere from 7 though to 9 on the open highway and 12.7 in the city with my auto Cougar.

I now get 10L/100 in the city and 6L/100 on the highway with the focus

Old 19-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #133
Kat*cougar*
Starter Motor

Hi There,

This is my first time on this forum so Help and advice is highly appreciated. I have a 2000 cougar which I love to bits. Parts and knowledge on this car has been far and few between for me to find. Can anyone pass on any places in Victoria which may have access to cougar parts.
I had a pretty unfortunate accident in mine and am considering selling it rather than fixing (parts being so rare.) either as a whole unit or have been advices to sell maybe as parts but is a huge job for me!
front is pretty damaged....any tips, advice or anything else would be greatly appreicated.
Cheers
Kat*cougar* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #134
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Ok, well your best best is to shop online and import as many parts as possible. Reason being, parts for the Cougar cost ALOT more hear than in the US/UK. Front headlamps can cost anywhere up to $1300 locally.

Check out www.fordparts.com as they have a wide range of OEM parts for the Cougar (note, search under Mercury Cougar as they were branded like that in the US)

Old 20-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #135
thearrow

Kat, what is wrong with your Cougar???

I might be able to help give us more details.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #136
Kat*cougar*
Starter Motor

I want to get rid of it.
Pretty bad accident but most of the car is sweet. I know parts aren't cheap so don't want to give it to a wrecker for 500 especially when they quoted me 650 for a door!!?!! and i got two perfectly good ones! If anyone needs parts let me know! cheers. Thanks ppl

Front Panels are not available (side front, front bumper, bonnet)
Old 24-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #137
bunter
F.T.F Member

im after the visor clip on driver side, as well as the centre roof light with suround how much, i am also after the chrome horn badge how much please and would you post 2145

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Ebony Black 2000 V6 Ford Cougar
bunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #138
Kat*cougar*
Starter Motor

I need some help. I have a guy who wants to come and buy the cap on the petrol tank under the seats. I have had a look at it and don't really know how much i should be charging him... can anyone tell me if possible?
Old 21-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #139
01cougar
Starter Motor

Hey guys
just wondering (on average) how many kms should you get out of a tank in a 01 sx cougar auto. all the driving i do is inner city and peak hour traffic, so its stop start all the time. so i usually get about 330-360kms per tank...
01cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post