Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 15-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

Default FORD COUGAR PROBLEMS>>>>

Please share the problems you have had with your cats/Barry's and how you got them fixed/diagnosed.....

Eg. My 2001 Ford Cougar Automatic has been in the mechanic's for over 7 weeks with a problem first thought to be the fuel pump-had that replaced to no avail, the had the regulators changed and the fuel lines also replaced. There is no problem electronically that can be linked to the dangerous 'surging' and eventual loss of power.
I have been to 2 different mechanics, one in my local town in the Darling Downs QLD for about 4--then, and still with a very patient and determined-yet still unsuccessful mechanic at Brisbane now going on 4 weeks....
Any information with be soooooo greatly appreciated, I love my Cougar greatly and it has been a beautiful car, but is starting to cost me more than he is worth!!!

Crystal1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
thearrow

Sorry to hear you are having problems can you please tell us EXACTLY what is your car doing?? Is the engine surging and then cutting out?? Or is it the transmission??
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

My cougar's engine is surging as though not enough fuel is getting through. After putting an aftermarket pump in, it went for about 200km then the same problem occurred. My mechanic reccommended not letting the fuel get below half a tank, but I have still suffered the same problem. Have been towed 3 times in 2 months.... my current mechanic, has had it for about 4 weeks (maybe longer...wow) and has changed the fuel pump again and the pressure regulators-got approx 100km before the surging happened again. Although has not been cutting power now it is still too dangerous to drive...
Old 16-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
thearrow

I posted a link to this on NECO forum in the USA so hopefully someone will drop by and let you know what is going on or you can check it out here..

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/prob...-problems.html

You may have to register first.
Old 16-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

thank you so much!!! I am at wits end!
Old 16-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

They have disabled all new registrations, but yes I have had a fuel pressure test-and it was fine... its really mind boggled both of my mechanics.... argh! ps, I am a she....
Old 17-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
thearrow

Crystal I don't think this is a fuel problem I am willing to bet that it is either electronic or a vacuum problem. Will let this run on NECO for a few days and see what they come up with.Will also ask my mechanic as mine is going in to get the control arm bushings replaced.

Will let you know.
Old 17-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

thank you so much for ur email David. will forward the info to my mechanic tomorrow and see what he says. Will keep you posted, but thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old 18-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
thearrow

Crystal, this question posted on NECO....

"Fuel pressure test. Just throwing parts at it won't fix anything if you don't check what's wrong with it first.

"Surging" and sudden "Power loss" also isn't very descriptive. When? What? Under what conditions? Buy "surging" does the driver mean the RPMs just suddenly start to fluctuate (upwards) randomly? Or does the car sometimes feel like it has less power or no power (but sounds like it's going full bore) and then sometimes it feels normal? Sorry for the temporarily disabled registrations- it's due to some issues we've been having".
Old 18-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
FumDuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow

"Surging" and sudden "Power loss" also isn't very descriptive.
It sounds like what mine has started doing :S. I will be on the highway sitting on 100kph on a flat road with my foot steady, the car will all of a sudden reduce in rev's and i will slow down by about 5kph then it feels like I slam my foot on the throttle to speed back up however my foot has never moved throughout this little experience. It is only happening every now and then but is enough to royally Pi## me off...

Is that what yours does Crystal ? Mine's a manual tho, not auto like yours, if its the same issue then I guess we can rule out the transmission
Old 19-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #11
REDDYZ

Anyone looked for DTCs?

Yogi
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
FumDuk

maybe... depends... what are DTCs ? lol
Old 20-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
REDDYZ

lol.. I mean Diagnostic Trouble Codes. You can hook up a scantool and check for fault codes. That will tell if there is an electrical problem or sensor or transmission and you can even check live data. Every workshop has these scan tools these days. One tool works of almost all manufacturers.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
FumDuk

haha, ooohhhhhhhh....

yeah, mine has no codes.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
thearrow

I have been experiencing problems with a knocking noise on my front passenger side suspension for a little while now that has been gradually getting worse. Took it to my mechanic and he advised that the lower control arm bushing was worn out and needed replacing, now it took me a little while to work this out but on Cougars you can't replace the bushing you have to replace the whole steering arm.

Not only that but there are two different types 2 bolt and 4 bolt so back to the mechanic and I have a 4 bolt.

Got onto the net and the cheapest price was USA Ford Service Parts in Wollongong but still cost over $450.00 for a pair as I figure I may as well do both. My research on NECO shows that this is not an uncommon problem.

Just one of those things that makes motoring such a pleasure and in Christmas week too.
Old 29-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
partzkid

RE : Crystal1987

your cougar is showing signs of the same problem we had with a car in the shop a couple of years ago. pump was replaced with non gen one then a genuine one and problem was still not fixed. being a ford dealer worked it out with the assistance of parts support that there was a new style pump available from the us and the 2 in australia were old stock, got a new one air freighted in from the us, fitted, problem gone, cant remember the difference though.

partzkid
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
KingRat
Starter Motor

FumDuk,

I noticed something very similar with my car the other day. The aircon was on at the time, so dont know if it was related or not, but definitely felt the revs changing without moving my foot on the accelerator... and also on the freeway on 100Km/h. I noticed it a bit as I was accelerating to get to 100 too. I dont know if it was me just being paranoid because I read your post and it was in the back of my mind or it actually did happen quite clearly.
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
FumDuk

KingRat, mate I hope you don't have what I have, started out small, getting bad now though ... Mine is with and without the air con running :s Dad thinks I may have dirty injectors.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

For those who have the changing revs without moving the accelerator, I was having this problem as well, though very minor. Sometimes even under brakes and down-shifting the compression to slow the car was non existent. I found the car more responsive after cleaning my air filter.

Just an idea... it worked for me. Though my air filter is the K&N Air Charger kit so is more prone to becoming dirty or clogged.

Dan
Old 25-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #20
REDDYZ

Dont know about Cougars, but lot of cars we had in our workshop had similar problem and found faulty air flow sensor or a broken vaccum hose. Most of the times cleaning the airflow sensor worked and sometimes we had to replace the sensor.
Old 28-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
pcperfection
Cougar

I would be checking the ERG valve or any of the air intake hoses especially
if the car is better when it's cold as the hotter the engine bay gets the softer
the hoses get and collapse

Cheers
Mark
Old 18-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

I think i will be selling my cougar.... has a fuel related issue that has been hard to diagnose. been surging upon take off. tint on front windows is peeling-was planning to get all this fixed as I really love the car, but have two large dogs and have to invest in a ute =( and will be selling it for only what i owe on it ($10,000) its an 2001 Automatic eibach coupe. Beautiful car. Will be available to view in Brisbane from the 4th of March 2010. Its registered until May, has around 180,000km on it. Or feel free to make an offer. I have a few pics available. Message me on 0429720941 or email crystal_dot_toohey@hotmail.com.