Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #181
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Those Suzuki 2 strokes are said to be legendary. I have never spotted one or heard one running.

Gave the Husqvarna its first run today. Performed very well, still some user adjustment on my part. This will sound pretty weird, but it even has some nice induction roar.
They're real revvers , mine smokes a bit briefly once started but then is fine.Has done that ever since new.. Nothing hoes through thick , wet grass like a 2 stroke though..Will always have a 2 stroke for that reason .

Glad to read your Husky ran well . I've only started my 129 a couple of times yet without really using it . Just did a bit near the shed . looking forward though to 'breaking her in' over the next few months while the old Jonsy takes life a bit easier. Re the fuel mix ..You're right , the book specifies 50 to 1 . As there was a quarter of a tank filled for me on delivery from Launceston Mowers and Chainsaws who are the Husky dealers near me I've yet to fill the tank . Would have mixed 50 to 1 as per book . Not too sure now if that's what they told you .

The old Jonsered has always had 25 to 1 though right from new . Heck of a lot of fuel through her over 24 years and still going strong . Husky book does definitely say 50 to 1 though . Just double checked ..Figuring better too much oil than not enough , especially on a brand new engine , maybe .I bought it over the phone and it was courier delivered so I never spoke to the sales bloke face to face . Will ring tomorrow to check this though ..Thanks for letting me know this could be the case ... Cheers

Last edited by roddy1960; 02-12-2018 at 08:39 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #182
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

DFB FGXR6...I rang Launceston Mowers and Chainsaws , northern Tassie's Husky dealership . Got James .. He told me that 50 to 1 mix is the book recommendation , that's okay and no issues but they actually recommend 40 to 1 . He said 25 to 1 is too much oil/additive and will block the machine over time . I told him I'd yet to really use mine so he said to start it on 40 to 1 from day one and it'll run great . So they're both kind of right I suppose . I mix my own anyway so that's what I'll do ...
Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #183
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I was finally ready to buy my new Victa mower recently, but decided against Bunnings and went to a local dealer instead.
Finally decided on the Corvette 200, which with all it's included features (B&S 140cc 550EX motor, quad blades, ready start, ball bearing wheels) represented great value at $450. But when she went to get one, they were out of stock.
So I left with a Victa catalogue and a promise she would call back later and let me know when new stock is in.

But flicking through the catalogue, I see Victa has a new lithium-ion range with 40V rechargeable batteries. Anyone had any experience with these mowers? The 40V 18" mower looks good. And I could get a blower and trimmer using the same battery pack.
Would be ok for a smallish thick buffalo lawn?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #184
yanknbank
Very regular

Rover 200ES/X

What a machine! Had the old girl for 30 years next month (purchased from K-Mart on the 27/1/89, $459). Other than the normal changing of blades, oil, filters, starter cords etc., the engine has never been apart, nor off the chassis. I did change the air filter assembly recently though. Removed the paper element filter (useless) from the handle/grip bar and replaced it with an oil impregnated foam filter unit. The local Stihl dealer gave it to me for nothing when I was in there one day for something else.

One thing however that I've always done, is to let it warm up for a couple of minutes before ripping into it. Maybe it helped things a little, maybe it didn't. I never imagined though that the little old Rover (B&S engine) would be so reliable and still be going strong 30 years down the track. May it last another 30!

......and speaking of mowing, just about everyone cuts their lawn far too short. Raise things a couple of notches next time you're out there and be a little kinder to the lawn!
Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #185
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Exclamation Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknbank View Post
Rover 200ES/X

What a machine! Had the old girl for 30 years next month (purchased from K-Mart on the 27/1/89, $459). Other than the normal changing of blades, oil, filters, starter cords etc., the engine has never been apart, nor off the chassis. I did change the air filter assembly recently though. Removed the paper element filter (useless) from the handle/grip bar and replaced it with an oil impregnated foam filter unit. The local Stihl dealer gave it to me for nothing when I was in there one day for something else.

One thing however that I've always done, is to let it warm up for a couple of minutes before ripping into it. Maybe it helped things a little, maybe it didn't. I never imagined though that the little old Rover (B&S engine) would be so reliable and still be going strong 30 years down the track. May it last another 30!

......and speaking of mowing, just about everyone cuts their lawn far too short. Raise things a couple of notches next time you're out there and be a little kinder to the lawn!
My father and I rebuilt one of those 3.5hp Briggs engines on a red Morriosn when I was about 12. Blew the rings after plenty of abuse and started blowing blue smoke. We striped it down, ordered the parts, put it back together and got another few years out of it. This was a mower that was held together with wire, tech screws, welded up where needed, mismatched wheels. Dad wasn't into mowing lawns and the mower was the last thing he wanted to spend money on. I learnt about how engines work by doing this with the old man and I'm pretty sure it's explains my obsession with all things mowing. It also taught me what not to do, in other words look after your equipment from day dot.

The B&S side valve engines from that era would rev HARD unlike the later versions that seemed like there was little difference between low and full throttle.

Also +1 for not mowing too low. Too hard on the body and equipment.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #186
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
DFB FGXR6...I rang Launceston Mowers and Chainsaws , northern Tassie's Husky dealership . Got James .. He told me that 50 to 1 mix is the book recommendation , that's okay and no issues but they actually recommend 40 to 1 . He said 25 to 1 is too much oil/additive and will block the machine over time . I told him I'd yet to really use mine so he said to start it on 40 to 1 from day one and it'll run great . So they're both kind of right I suppose . I mix my own anyway so that's what I'll do ...
Thanks for the info. The salesman was adamant that 25:1 was what I should be using and to disregard what the manual stated. I could even tell it had 25:1 in the initial fill from the dealer by the way it smelled. I suppose the theory is that it will extend the engines life but from my experience, most machines fall apart around the engine, like a Falcon

I actually add just a bit more oil to my mix than the usual 50:1 ratio so I'm probably close to the 40:1 you were advised.I use Stihl full synthetic two-stroke oil which has reduced the amount of carbon deposited into the muffler. Its expensive but it saves me time having to unblock exhaust screens.
Mustang GT

Old 03-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #187
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always use full synth at 50:1 in all my 2 stroke gear irrespective of the instructions. Nothings blown up yet.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #188
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Just out of curiosity does everybody use full synthetic, blend or mineral oil in the 4 stroke engines too and what time frame or hours do you leave it in for ?.. I have three four strokers , all Briggsy's and because I only basically use them for my own largish yard and for a couple of neighbours places fairly often I only change the oil once a year now. Same with the ride on Husky ..The bloody genuine oil filter for that was $27 last time. Also one running two stroke (Rover) as per photos etc.. and one non running Victa all in bits I forgot to mention before.

Especially interested for our pro's in the biz on the maintenance on oil and filters for equipment and anything else rated as really important ..ie brushcutter/trimmer greasing , hedge trimmer lubrication , blower maintenance and chainsaw stuff . Cheers ...
Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #189
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknbank View Post
Rover 200ES/X

What an absolute beauty ...She looks incredible ...That's a golden oldie...
Old 03-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #190
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
I was finally ready to buy my new Victa mower recently, but decided against Bunnings and went to a local dealer instead.
Finally decided on the Corvette 200, which with all it's included features (B&S 140cc 550EX motor, quad blades, ready start, ball bearing wheels) represented great value at $450. But when she went to get one, they were out of stock.
So I left with a Victa catalogue and a promise she would call back later and let me know when new stock is in.

But flicking through the catalogue, I see Victa has a new lithium-ion range with 40V rechargeable batteries. Anyone had any experience with these mowers? The 40V 18" mower looks good. And I could get a blower and trimmer using the same battery pack.
Would be ok for a smallish thick buffalo lawn?
Been reading and watching vids etc on battery mowers of late . Being brought up on petrol golf course and corded electric bowls green mowers in the biz as a greenkeeper, then for a time with my own garden biz and since at home and work it's been petrol only . The new battery tech has stirred the curiosity .
Apparently they cut pretty good for the most part , some have issues with the long wet stuff but are fine for well maintained lawns . Like everything it's usually you get what you pay for I think .

I saw this recently funny vid comparing a class leader Ego versus a more run of the mill Ryobi ..Quite good to watch ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0yFuhiWQw ..

Battery technology is like everything else I think .. Varies a fair bit.

Expert by no means but I'd suggest plenty of questions first before switching to battery power for any brand , not just Victa ..
Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #191
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day guys again ..Been doing a lot of brushcutting /trimming over recent times although I haven't used my new Husky much yet..All changes tomorrow in that regard given the length of my grass that missed a cut last weekend . Mucking around on EBAY last Sunday night and came across an integrated safety helmet . I am a spectacles wearer with expensive prescription tint lenses and besides it only takes a split second to do serious damage without visor or goggles . I've worn either my original perspex faceguard or a newer mesh one . The hassle is that with ear protection they are uncomfortable to combine . I also have a very old safety hat that I left at work and is basically buggered .

This is what I bought , turned up today .

GEDC0062 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr ..

It's pretty lightweight , comes with a high quality mesh face guard , built in swing away ear protectors , highly adjustable fit band , chin strap and a sun protector .

Cost me $37.50 including free postage . Maybe not up to max industry standard but for the cost and built in protections it's worth a try .

Will be easier to use than seperate face shield and ear protectors with the added bonus of sun guard and chin strap if needed . My only other headwear safety is a quite old , buggered plastic helmet that I leave at work incase we need to trim trees or whatever . No commercial chainsaw
licence but need it for when spotting for the groundsman etc..

Last edited by roddy1960; 07-12-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #192
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a townhouse but I'm lucky that I have a pretty big backyard that requires a mower. My mum bought me a Masport with a Briggs motor for my birthday last year.

I said to her she should of kept it for herself considering she has a big block of land and just give me the second hand Victa.

A lot of people think mowing is a chore but I love it. Crack a beer and a durry and go to town
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #193
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I have a townhouse but I'm lucky that I have a pretty big backyard that requires a mower. My mum bought me a Masport with a Briggs motor for my birthday last year.

I said to her she should of kept it for herself considering she has a big block of land and just give me the second hand Victa.

A lot of people think mowing is a chore but I love it. Crack a beer and a durry and go to town
There's plenty worse jobs to do . Masport make a really good machine . I think they originated in N.Z .
Old 08-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #194
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have been using my new battery powered hedger for a few weeks now and at this stage I can say that I'm a convert to battery electric power.

In the same way the people have range anxiety with electric cars, I was nervous about committing funds to a machine that may let me down mid-job. Run out of juice on a two-stroke mid way through a job, simply fill it up and off you go again. The prospect of having to re-charge/swap batteries was something that I didn't really want to have to do............time is money after all. The reality is, the capacity of the batteries is more than sufficient and my concerns unfounded. I simply recharge at the end of the day.

So, cheaper to run, no smelly fuel, quieter running, less vibration, no fumes and lighter to handle.

Did a bit of a light clean up on a Lilly Pilly hedge today.

I have also been using this Briggs and Stratton Lanolin lubricant on the blades. Much better than products like WD-40 or RP7 (these aren't lubricants really) and it even smells good.

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #195
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have been using my new battery powered hedger for a few weeks now and at this stage I can say that I'm a convert to battery electric power.

In the same way the people have range anxiety with electric cars, I was nervous about committing funds to a machine that may let me down mid-job. Run out of juice on a two-stroke mid way through a job, simply fill it up and off you go again. The prospect of having to re-charge/swap batteries was something that I didn't really want to have to do............time is money after all. The reality is, the capacity of the batteries is more than sufficient and my concerns unfounded. I simply recharge at the end of the day.

So, cheaper to run, no smelly fuel, quieter running, less vibration, no fumes and lighter to handle.

I have also been using this Briggs and Stratton Lanolin lubricant on the blades. Much better than products like WD-40 or RP7 (these aren't lubricants really) and it even smells good.

I’m with you on that, I spent 3hrs today with the ozito battery pole hedge pruner, I got close to an hour out of the 4.0 AH battery, no noise or fumes, and swapped to a spare so didn’t have to wait. Previously, I could only do an hour with my 2stroke shindaiwa before getting a headache, and sore eyes and throat from the fumes.
I’m so impressed, I’m thinking of grabbing one of these to replace my echo blower
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-po...r-kit_p0054474
I tested a jet blower from another brand at a trade day, those things blow like Krakatoa.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #196
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I use lanox as a metal lubricant. Brilliant stuff and Australian.

25:1 and 50:1 mixes.
I have asked both husky and stihl and both said it depends on what oil you use. Good synthetic oil 50:1 otherwise 25:1.
I always use their branded oils so have always used 50:1. One of my chainsaws is near 20 years old and still runs well.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #197
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

I suppose another advantage , especially with hedge trimmers is lower weight of the unit . Mine is a littley , very old Jonsered HT21 ..21 " blade but it's heavy-ish at height . Only use it occasionally to trim an elderly friend's shrubs but on a ladder I'm glad to get down after a few minutes . Put a new fuel line on it at Easter , runs good again but I reckon if I ever bought a new one it'd be a battery one for sure .
I do own a single line battery trimmer made by Rockwell that's good for about half an hour non stop of stuff around garden beds , trees , fences etc . Recharge of the 18V 2 Ah battery is about an hour . A second battery would be handy but I can literally lift it with one finger and no ear protection required at 92 Dba..You chaps tips on the lubricants for the hedgy's is good to know ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 09-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #198
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The two items in question ..

Rockwell 18 V line trimmer .. single line .. 0.95 mm chord .

HT 21 Jonsered hedge trimmer ..

GEDC0063 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr

Last edited by roddy1960; 09-12-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #199
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Should clarify my poorly written first comment on your post . Wasn't specific to your Stihl hedgy and your mention regarding the weight attribute..I meant in general terms how much lighter battery powered garden tools are compared to combustion engine units . Mowers , saws , blowers , trimmers , pretty much everything . Sorry about that ..

Tell you what else , that Stihl hedge trimmer is a really nice looking machine too .
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #200
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mowing my own lawn today, decided to drag old number one out of the shed.

Very well used, and abused, the only parts its needed in 17 years apart from oil and blades being a couple of spark plugs, a new throttle cable and a deck shield. Oh and a piece of wire to hold the axle together. Hasn't been ran for months and started on the first pull, no smoke.

Continuing the strange automotive theme with Victa models, check out that mighty Sprint 375 engine
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #201
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Mowing my own lawn today, decided to drag old number one out of the shed.

Very well used, and abused, the only parts its needed in 17 years apart from oil and blades being a couple of spark plugs, a new throttle cable and a deck shield. Oh and a piece of wire to hold the axle together. Hasn't been ran for months and started on the first pull, no smoke.

Continuing the strange automotive theme with Victa models, check out that mighty Sprint 375 engine
Just shows you with a lot of comments on the thread how much we can share a similar affinity to mowers and ground equipment that we do with our cars . Your No. 1 proves that . I feel like that with my Rover actually . I've got other mowers but she's a trouble free favourite ..Exactly the same with my AU ll Futura ..same exact thing . Another thing is brand preference like cars . Kind of the Ford v Holden thing with Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws , now in various other implements (brushcutters , trimmers, hedgers, blowers etc etc etc.) with those two giants of the industry .

Re Victa ..I found this the other day ..Have a scroll through and you'll see a heap of automotive related names , many Ford names too mixed in among them .. Brings back memories...

https://www.outdoorking.com/pages/Vi..._1970_1991.pdf . Still on No.1's ....what about this No.1..

The T Model of Victa's ..where it all began https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zLzYgLJ_-Q ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 09-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #202
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

AND ANOTHER THING .....This bloke (Peter Anderson) is a highly regarded non professional car restorer in Victoria . He's rebuilt a number of classic Aussie cars and he's into old mowers too .

watched this vid recently . If you have time it's actually enjoyable to have a squizz at . His 'proper' job is a school teacher . Enjoy chaps ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163FOd4VUmo .Or these old dears he's mucked around with eh ... including a 3.5 hp Briggsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9SMf8pojUU ....

Last edited by roddy1960; 09-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #203
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=DFB FGXR6;6226812]Mowing my own lawn today, decided to drag old number one out of the shed.

Had the same engine on a rover traded it in on a Husqvarna LC18 the one does not rev and I think the old engine cut better
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 12:21 AM   #204
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone have a John Deere push mower??

Anyone Selling one??

My old Rover just threw a leg out of bed, literally punched the piston through the cylinder

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 01:30 AM   #205
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

I do a bit of mowing too, at my old place(10ac or 44000m2 for you cityboys) I brought a 38" COX lawnboss(green model)with the bigblock 18hp B/S(16hp normally)its done 6 seasons so far apart from 3 blade changes and a battery never had any trouble with it... especially since it was a lot more cash than the equivalent MF or Masport you would hope so!

At the new place(16ac) I inherited an 8hr old 50" Country Clipper zero turn 23.5hp Kohler V-twin.

I think the Cox has a better more even cut but is way slower on the big mow(yearly fire break creation)compared to the Clipper, Im putting it down to the blade set up the Clipper is like most larger units with multiple cutter heads(3 in this case)and the Cox has a single flywheel set up with 4 swing blades.

Im thinking the Cox blades are running at a lot higher velocity due to the 30" wide flywheel(plus blade length 8") compared to the 18" of the Clipper.

The Clipper is way more movable(obviously being a ZT)but its very hard to control being a single stick steer and its a big unit so doesnt fit in many places, plus if your like me and have big trees and ground covered in sticks as nature intended it "bumpy as F%^&" you have trouble keeping it in a straight line :(
You can see why these ZT units are starting to have suspension nowdays.

Had a Oh F%^& discovery on my Cox a few weeks ago, was mowing down the paddock near my sheds through very dry wheat/tall grass about 3 ft tall, was getting very dark so I drove back to the shed and noticed a blue flame shooting from the exhaust at higher revs... its about 2 foot off the ground pointing straight out the side right into that tall dry grass, god knows how it didnt ignite the paddock
Old 11-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #206
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Anyone have a John Deere push mower??

Anyone Selling one??

My old Rover just threw a leg out of bed, literally punched the piston through the cylinder
I ran one for about a year. It had all the features but just didn’t cut the mustard. These mowers are suited to American style lawns that are cut very high and are usually mulched. In the end I got sick to death of unblocking the catcher Shute and trailed it in on my Rover.

Only buy one if your have a long lush lawn such as fescue otherwise it will drive you nuts.
Mustang GT

Old 11-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #207
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I ran one for about a year. It had all the features but just didn’t cut the mustard. These mowers are suited to American style lawns that are cut very high and are usually mulched. In the end I got sick to death of unblocking the catcher Shute and trailed it in on my Rover.

Only buy one if your have a long lush lawn such as fescue otherwise it will drive you nuts.
Assuming this one would be a high end model in their range . It is a nice looking machine but if there are issues with it's performance , looks are secondary .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYB34SDP0JM .

This is also interesting . These are self propelled , extremely nice , maybe not ideal for many of us but no great surprise what brand came out on top just the same .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zI_0BL7pQ4 .

Last edited by roddy1960; 11-12-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #208
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Roddy, I had a JS-48

https://www.google.ca/search?q=js48&...w=1536&bih=723

It had some great features, the key start was handy and I really liked the drive system. But at the end of the day it was costing me more time than it saved.

I think it is telling that they are no longer for sale in Australia.
Mustang GT

Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #209
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Roddy, I had a JS-48

https://www.google.ca/search?q=js48&...w=1536&bih=723

It had some great features, the key start was handy and I really liked the drive system. But at the end of the day it was costing me more time than it saved.

I think it is telling that they are no longer for sale in Australia.
John Deere might not make ideal pro walk behinds as you found out but they do make a nice ride on I'd say..Definitely one of the best commercial or semi commercial ride on's.. Had the pleasure of using one many times. It was the previous school mower, was a commercial conventional JD and did about 15 years apparently according to the groundsmanand was finally pensioned off in 2016 , still going pretty well .
Now we have a full commercial Toro Zero turn. Cost about twenty grand , twin cylinder..I'm not allowed to use it because I need to do training as per new Education Dept policy...Hmmmm...Years of using them previously count for nothing until you've done a specific induction/ safety course . Same old , same old government stuff but that's how it is . Next year sometime , when it's done under PL training something akin to a chainsaw course I'm told . Demonstrating common sense safety and maintenance knowledge and wearing all required PPE should be all you need . Suppose I'll be just pushing a mower and using a brushcutter til then . Just like I was for two hours today in readiness for Presentation Day on Friday .

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-12-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 14-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #210
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well after all this rain I'm guessing I will have to fire up the mower in the next week or so.

Looking forward to it

Last year I was mowing every second week at most but this year I've only fired it up two or three times since March.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post