Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 17-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Spyware

Guys, I've been told this by my tech guy at work.

Apparantly there's been spyware here on these forums. It slammed our network here at work and we have been told to download some programs to combat this.

The tech guy said that I had some spyware from here (he can dial in and see what websites I see and if there's been some foul play), so I don't know what measures you've got in place from idiots who place spyware here, and I'm still having trouble myself trying to figure out how I got it from here, but was just posting this to let you guys know that I have actually had spyware on my computer from this site.

Old 17-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry i dont know alot about computers, but how would that work, is it attached via the cookies or downloads?
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At a rough guess it is more than likley that it comes by pressing links that people have posted to other sites/links.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
At a rough guess it is more than likley that it comes by pressing links that people have posted to other sites/links.

Pete
That rough guess would be right on the money !
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
dandaman

Maybe thats why it's taking so much longer for me to load this website than any other website out there
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
BlackLS

dandaman, what browser are you using. I know with IE, the page doesn't show until the whole table of the page has been downloaded, whereas in firefox it shows as its loaded. I find even on the 1.5mb connection at home it would take about 1 seoc for most of the page, then 20 secs for the quick reply and current active users at the bottom of the page to load.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
dandaman

I use IE6 which is most prob the cause of the problem, it's a 256k connection, i find the top ford forums image and links below take abit to load, i'll give it a shot in firefox or opera
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

AU II SE ute, I would advise you to get a hold of Sywareblaster, Spybot and Adaware.
These programmes are MOST useful and will cut down on so many of your problems.

For your problem with graphics taking so long, you might just need to do a bit of tweaking your OS to aid in the speedier download. There are SO many things that WILL help you out there in Computer land

Start with emptying your IE cache and altering the amount of disc space IE sets for a cache. You will see it is always some RIDICULOUS figure and SO unnecessary. The maximim you need in that department is 100mb. Too often people do NOT bother to empty the cache and it WILL degrade performance.

Here are the links for the Programmes I mentioned:
[code]http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html[/code]
[code]http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/[/code]
[code]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/[/code]

I put these links in code so all anyone needs to do is copy and past into any browser and check out the pages and then download the Programmes. :
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
MAD
Petro-sexual

Do yourself a favour and get Microsoft anti spyware if you have XP, by far the best spyware tool around at the moment.
Old 17-10-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF
Do yourself a favour and get Microsoft anti spyware if you have XP, by far the best spyware tool around at the moment.

Theres been a few posts about spyware. I'd recommend a few of these anti spyware programs, mainly the microsoft one and ad-aware. together they provide comprehensive spyware removal. seperate they have holes.

Now, for those persistent bugs that dont get removed by either program mentioned above, you can use Hijack This (download link below - note its not a direct link you have to goto the hijack this section.).

: Although, if you dont know exactly what you're looking for, i recommend taking the machine to a professional or doing your research before removing anything that could be vital to your system. I've had to fix MANY machines that couldn't load windows becase someone mistakenly deleted a file requred by windows.

if you want to run hijack this and send me a log by PM before you modify anything, i can tell you which ones to remove, more importantly - which ones to KEEP! _2:

im happy to give my expertise to this forum, after gaining so much knowledge in other areas from here.

[CODE]http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html[/CODE]
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and Ad Aware, Hijack This, Norton Anti Virus and the Windows firewall, plus the firewall built into the ADSL router. The only way we've got anything bad (virus or spyware) is if my dumbarse brother is downloading crap or visiting sites he shouldnt be.

Ive also found Java and Javascript to be the source of most of my problems. Most of the trojans we've had have been since Ive had the Java Platform installed on my computer.

Java and Javascript can be useful but can be very bad too. I have it disabled and only enable it when I know the website requires it (ie. Internet banking).
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I have Ad-Aware and Microsoft AntiSpyware on my machine at work.

It could've been a link I clicked, all I was told is that it came from this forum.
Old 18-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #13
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

use firefox or opera
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #14
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
use firefox or opera
Yes... all the antispyware crap in the world can't protect you from how pathetic IE is. Get yourself Opera at best, or at least Firefox.. will solve 90% of your problems instantly.

Ultimately, get rid of windows :
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post