Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #31
XR6_power

Default Re: And so it begins.....Ford stripping everything out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzriderXR8 View Post
Ultimately our market is still too small, even if we doubled the price of imports we still couldn't sustain manufacturing in the OZ car market. We are an expensive country for manufacturing.

If we went the US path of making the big manufacturers set up factories in Oz they would probably walk away or as we've seen in the past, demand huge government subsidies.

How much would you be prepared to pay for a car just so it was Australian made?
In Australia workers have more rights than in most countries. Our wages are higher yes, because our factory workers enjoy some semblance of a comfortable life here, and that has been the case for a long time now. And I don't think we should change all that now and kick our working class into the gutter.

The imported cars were always going to be cheaper because the workers that bolt these cars together are paid much less. In fact if you do the research, you'll find that the countries where most of the new car plants operate employ workers that live well below what we would call "the poverty line". The car industry here was always small, but survived for a long time because-

1- The cars we built here suited Australian conditions and people's needs.
2- import tariffs on Imported cars were once 40%, this offered protection for our industry with its higher costs. This tariff is now 5%.
3- governments had policy where government and government department fleets had to consist of Australian built cars.
4-our car industry workers, were highly skilled. They designed, engineered and built cars they were proud of. This was evident in any media coverage I saw of the Ford closure.
5- the car market is now very fragmented, as in there are more brands and choices.
6- the buying public wants when buying a car have changed. Now, many buy
for fuel efficiency and not for things like- longevity, reliability, comfort, ease of servicing, flexibility and practicality. All These things were hallmarks of the Ford Falcon.

Just a quick last word on car industry government funding. We weren't the only country to tax payer fund the industry. If you research it, you'll find that countries like the US and Germany assist their car industry by up to 5 times more than Australia assists its car industry.

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
Old 20-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #32
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

10 years supply of parts from date ceased required in Australia.
Old 20-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #33
OzriderXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_power View Post
In Australia workers have more rights than in most countries. Our wages are higher yes, because our factory workers enjoy some semblance of a comfortable life here, and that has been the case for a long time now. And I don't think we should change all that now and kick our working class into the gutter.

The imported cars were always going to be cheaper because the workers that bolt these cars together are paid much less. In fact if you do the research, you'll find that the countries where most of the new car plants operate employ workers that live well below what we would call "the poverty line". The car industry here was always small, but survived for a long time because-

1- The cars we built here suited Australian conditions and people's needs.
2- import tariffs on Imported cars were once 40%, this offered protection for our industry with its higher costs. This tariff is now 5%.
3- governments had policy where government and government department fleets had to consist of Australian built cars.
4-our car industry workers, were highly skilled. They designed, engineered and built cars they were proud of. This was evident in any media coverage I saw of the Ford closure.
5- the car market is now very fragmented, as in there are more brands and choices.
6- the buying public wants when buying a car have changed. Now, many buy
for fuel efficiency and not for things like- longevity, reliability, comfort, ease of servicing, flexibility and practicality. All These things were hallmarks of the Ford Falcon.

Just a quick last word on car industry government funding. We weren't the only country to tax payer fund the industry. If you research it, you'll find that countries like the US and Germany assist their car industry by up to 5 times more than Australia assists its car industry.
You've pretty much nailed it, unfortunately Ford and Holden are both owned by overseas companies with shareholders who don't really care where they are made, just how cheap they can make them.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
Old 20-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #34
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
10 years supply of parts from date ceased required in Australia.
Only on items that are essential to keep the car running, cosmetic and trim items are not included. You would know that items such as door trims, seat trims etc are not available for much longer after that model is produced as has always been the case!
Old 21-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
In about mid 2014, a few months after purchasing my new FG 2 XR6, I received a letter from Bob Graziano, that stated that Ford Australia will continue to offer parts and service backup till 2026....so I guess either Ford intend to continue manufacturing parts, and/or they will keep some suppliers going....
They stamped panels, made things like water pumps etc and have them all in storage now. All that stuff has been done over the last 3 years. Ford are no longer making anything, they did all they needed to already.

Not sure about suppliers though, they may still be making some bits and pieces.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
We may not even need a war in the South China Sea. It seems our politicians are hellbent on modelling themselves on Donald Trump, and he wants to bring back protectionism for US manufacturing. If the same policy for protectionism came into being here, it would be "hello" to manufacturing here again....
No way in hell would the Libs do that, they stood by and watched them all leave ,then patted themselves on the back that they don't have to give them funding anymore.

Just don't mention that it payed for itself many times over in terms of taxes they received from the car makers etc.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #37
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
No way in hell would the Libs do that, they stood by and watched them all leave ,then patted themselves on the back that they don't have to give them funding anymore.
Just don't mention that it payed for itself many times over in terms of taxes they received from the car makers etc.
In an earlier post of yours, you seemed to agree with another member's quote re thread was "yet more carry on about nothing".
It would seem that the "about nothing" has evolved into some true and interesting points by members which I'm enjoying to read - appears you are too now ?
Old 21-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Sorry if you got butthurt, but the OP was hardly groundbreaking stuff. Of course the machines were going to be removed, it was no secret.
Old 21-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #39
XR6_power

Quote:

Yeh I know it could be wishful thinking. When the Libs are still championing "free" trade, and Labor aren't jumping out of their skins to protect our industry either..Trump says he wants to protect the US industry tho, and we tend to copy some stuff they do in regards to the economy, who knows what's in store for us...

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
Old 21-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #40
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Sorry if you got butthurt, but the OP was hardly groundbreaking stuff. Of course the machines were going to be removed, it was no secret.
haha, no problem - all good, just having a crappy day....and ironically having drama's with Ford Aust at moment, so taking it out on the keyboard
Old 21-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #41
QIKESP

It's amazing how quickly the site has been transformed, especially once production started ramping down.
Old 22-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Not sure about suppliers though, they may still be making some bits and pieces.
I think all the suppliers made up all the parts that were projected for the required aervice time. Were Ford are storing it will be interesting.
Old 22-11-2016, 01:08 AM   #43
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People like to blame the Libs for it, but just remember that Rudd was still in the PM seat when Ford pulled the plug - and still sat in the seat for another 3 months after. Holden & Toyota's announcements were shortly after Abbott defeated Rudd in 2013. People try to blame abbott's right hand man Hockey for that, but the writing was on the wall long before.

But the union propaganda conveniently ignores the timeline and blame the Libs for the 'trifecta' which was shared over & over on Farcebook by brain-dead fools who believe everything on Farcebook is true.....
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 04:01 AM   #44
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Every thread aligned to the Falcon ends up the same way, its a why and who is to blame for the Falcon going.

No sales = No production..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread