Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #31
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving unregistered will cost $2,500 fine in SA

Funny how I get automated reminders via text from service providers for regular things like car service or tyre rotation being due, dentist appointment, etc...but SAGovCo can't configure an automated reminder text to be sent to registered owner if their rego lapses.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Good

Keeps the **** boxes and deros off the road
You think it is going to keep them off the roads, no way! they will still keep driving as the courts are too soft, not even a slap on the wrist these days.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #33
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont like these "paperwork" issues. There is nothing unsafe about being unregistered at all (insurance issues are another paperwork issue and not related to safety). They should just say it is revenue raising and nothing else.

I remember in Vic there was some mad increase in fines since the stickers were discontinued like 1000%! What a scam.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #34
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

I'm not sure what happens in other States... but in SA, you used to be able to pay for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months rego... then a few years back they changed it to 3 or 12 months options only !

This means that those that may not be able to afford a full years rego at once, can only option to pay for 3 months at a time..... making it easier for more people to forget more often. If they have more than one car (perhaps a family with a single income)... then forgetting can be even easier etc.

When I was in that position, to manage the budget (many years ago, before the change) I set it up so I could pay 6 months rego, every 3 months (for two cars) I did this outside of the months utility bills would come in etc.

Yes... there are those that do flaunt the system entirely... but the SA Govt. hikes Rego way too much, year on year... took away rego stickers (which were great reminders)... then makes it harder to pay... then deals out massive fines when you get caught out (perhaps inadvertently).

This is a "Big stick" mentality... rather than set up the system in a way to encourage people to do the right thing ! If they ran the State right, there'd be heaps of jobs with a lot more people & business' putting tax dollars back into the system... and they wouldn't have to rape you with exorbitant fees and/or fines to fill the States coffers with !

SA is broke... and this is just another blatant money grab of a mismanaged Govt... unfortunately, from those of whom can afford it least !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)

Last edited by Gothefalcon; 17-11-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #35
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
No stickers in NSW either, but I currently have two cars, a bike and two trailers registered plenty of people have more than this, and I will probably have another car soon as well.

Would be a lot easier to keep track if they had labels.
Easier yes, but it's still not hard. I have a whiteboard in the garage that has all our rego expiration dates on it, three cars and a trailer.

Personally I hated the labels, so I'm glad they're gone.

Having said that, a govt dept should easily be able to sent out email/txt reminders in this day and age.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 12:34 AM   #36
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I finalise the CTP a couple of weeks leading up to the due date and the same go for getting the car passed for roadworthy if required and pay the actual rego fee a couple of days before the due date.

I get a copy of the rego sent to me in the mail about 6 weeks before hand and 3 email reminders, the first not long after I receive the postal copy, the second a few days before it’s due and the last a couple of weeks later if it’s not paid.

There have been times when rego has come due while I’ve been overseas and I paid it all up upon my arrival back home.

I also get the CTP in the mail a few weeks before hand as an extra reminder and if it’s not paid the insurance company can see if I haven’t taken out a policy with another company and they ring me after the due date to tell me I haven’t renewed.

I’m in NSW with multi regos to deal with and can’t say I have any problem with the system.

I have a filling system for my regos and can check any details for my cars within a minute including comprehensive insurance, roadside assist and any money spent on them.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #37
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Funny how I get automated reminders via text from service providers for regular things like car service or tyre rotation being due, dentist appointment, etc...but SAGovCo can't configure an automated reminder text to be sent to registered owner if their rego lapses.
I'd give your transport department a call, I'd be very surprised if they don't send out texts.....even if they don't, don't they send you a letter???

NSW RMS send at least 2 texts and a letter...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #38
Lunch
Wait, what?

I like the 'no sticker' setup, no ugly sticker on the windscreen of my car. Now I just pay it when the letter comes in the mail, usually a month before it's due, I have a rough idea when it coming up because for some bizarre reason, it's the same time every year

Last edited by Lunch; 17-11-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #39
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes I don't get the no sticker thing either.

Every car should still have a registration sticker displayed as a visual indication and easy check. Like company cars and the like, how do the employees know the cars are registered??
the company i worked for had stickers made and handed out with the date of renewal so we knew.

one bloke was pulled over for it being unregistered and lucky the bloke had an email from the company stating that the car had been reregistered. the cop was understanding but waited whilst a call was made to the office and the secretary registered the car. that was a very decent cop.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #40
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
i dont like these "paperwork" issues. There is nothing unsafe about being unregistered at all (insurance issues are another paperwork issue and not related to safety).
Registration is just another form of tax collection, but the CTP that we all pay as part of our registration (either through TAC or a privately owned insurance company) is a pretty important thing to have if someone is injured in an accident.

So if one of your loved ones was injured in an unregistered car, the lack of third party personal insurance that we all pay as part of our rego wouldn't concern you then?
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #41
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
i dont like these "paperwork" issues. There is nothing unsafe about being unregistered at all (insurance issues are another paperwork issue and not related to safety). They should just say it is revenue raising and nothing else.

I remember in Vic there was some mad increase in fines since the stickers were discontinued like 1000%! What a scam.
Of course its revenue raising, roads are not free to make and maintain.
be glad your not driving a heavy vehicle
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #42
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Any vehicle that is unregistered is also uninsured.
It actually depends on the state in Victoria even if you are driving a unregistered car or you are unlicenced, you still may be covered under the TAC system, even if it's a single vehicle accident or you are at fault.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #43
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do you need a sticker to tell you when rego is due, when my notice turns up I pay it, simple stuff really.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #44
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
It actually depends on the state in Victoria even if you are driving a unregistered car or you are unlicenced, you still may be covered under the TAC system, even if it's a single vehicle accident or you are at fault.
You are covered on any public roads with TAC with unregistered vehicles but not covered on private property.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #45
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And you wonder why they don't put effort into letting people know their cars are unregistered e.g. text message notification etc

IMO the only way to stay safely registered is setup the monthly direct debit
Old 17-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #46
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

***deleted**** Not worth the effort

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #47
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
And you wonder why they don't put effort into letting people know their cars are unregistered e.g. text message notification etc

This is a good idea, although every time I renew my rego, the price increases. So doing an auto debit process will require you to make sure you are paying the correct amount at the time. For the effort used to do that, you may as well pay the rego as soon as you receive the letter in the post.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post

Last year (in NSW) before it was due, I received a reminder in the mail along with two emails before the due date.

No excuse really.
Old 17-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #49
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cop View Post
Why do you need a sticker to tell you when rego is due, when my notice turns up I pay it, simple stuff really.
That's ok if you have a few vehicles.

On the farm I have 19 vehicles/trailers of various descriptions that need registering. Some of them are road registered some are farm registration only.

It's a freaking nightmare!
Bring back stickers please.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #50
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

On the farm I have 19 vehicles/trailers of various descriptions that need registering. Some of them are road registered some are farm registration only.

I liked the constant reminder of a sticker. not such an issue with my own car, but with work cars, or borrowing work cars, it becomes an issue. my old work car had January 14 rego, same as one other car. I knew that, phil didn't. Our administration lady took extra holidays so I got mine sorted in December, phil didn't know. Yes the reminder was sent to administration, but she was off, so on the return on the 15th, I asked the question. Turns out the other van had expired. it got sorted quickly, and being a small company the reminder went to an unchecked email which is incredibly ignorant, but a sticker would have saved the frantic day.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #51
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I liked the constant reminder of a sticker. not such an issue with my own car, but with work cars, or borrowing work cars, it becomes an issue. my old work car had January 14 rego, same as one other car. I knew that, phil didn't. Our administration lady took extra holidays so I got mine sorted in December, phil didn't know. Yes the reminder was sent to administration, but she was off, so on the return on the 15th, I asked the question. Turns out the other van had expired. it got sorted quickly, and being a small company the reminder went to an unchecked email which is incredibly ignorant,

but a sticker would have saved the frantic day.
And so would better office procedures and maybe it's time for management to get their act together and delegate important duties during times of leave.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #52
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wouldn't you just get 19 reminders a year?
That would be a nightmare whether they had stickers or not
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #53
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
And so would better office procedures and maybe it's time for management to get their act together and delegate important duties during times of leave.
Pretty much. It's that backwards that I take note of some things that I rightfully shouldn't have to and pester them. By them I mean sonja, the big Boss doesn't care about anything that doesn't benefit himself, but I digress. Whilst we can charge time the firm to get a pink slip during hours(I don't need one till 2018 after an upgrade) the driver doesn't get the notification because they don't own the car. Maybe the rta should introduced an option (it would cost obviously) for a sticker or not. Surely it's not rocket surgery
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #54
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

I don’t care about labels one way or the other.

An old classic with a label looks cool, a modern vehicle without one looks neat.

I have 11 cars registered and take full responsibility for ensuring everything is paid on time by having a prober cabinet and filing system.

Even if I had labels on the cars, many of them are covered and only get driven a few times a year and I would still have to occasionally go around and check the labels and that is something I can do just as easily by opening the file cabinet.

Everything is in date and monthly order for the year and it’s easy to see what’s coming due.

If I wanted I could also put an events calendar on the wall over my computer screen so I have an in your face visual reminder and add to it by using the calendar function in my computer to give me reminders with a self-determined early warning time dialled in.

On top of this I already get a number of reminders from the NSW RMS.

For those of you who don’t get email, text or postal notification or all three why not check your rego authority online and see if it’s available to you.

It could be just as easy as registering your details with them and providing a means of contact.
Old 19-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #55
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still like the sticker.

I drive different cars, work cars, mates cars, tow trailers that I don't own at times, recently used a borrowed horse float for a 300km trip, used a mates car trailer for a 600km trip, drove another mates Commodore ute, drove my bosses personal 4x4, next week will be using a mates bike trailer to move some dirt bikes etc etc I would love to be able to just glance at the sticker and know it's registered.

I always ask the question, but even then I rely on their say so.

Pretty sure a sticker would not cost more than a few cents, and it should not be optional.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #56
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , No stickers in Tasmania now either..Has been like that for the past 2 or 3 years... It did bother me for a while , thinking it'd be easy to forget but it really isn't..No messy removals anymore of old ones too..
Anyone who knowingly drives a vehicle unregistered is dumb and I'm amazed by how many do..
We have 6 or 12 month periods. I have been going 6 months on two of mine because my AU and my old magna wagon fall within a week or so of each other. The FG XR6 will be a 12 monther though because there's a nice gap in between..
The old Maggy will not be re registered next time because she needs a lot done and it's just not worth it..
The 'dog car' for taking my Border Collie and Kelpie bush will be replaced with another registerable bomb..That's what bombs are good for...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #57
XR8235

[QUOTE=383hq;5813289]
Next they'll take your rego sticker away as a "cost saving initiative". (But in reality it'll be to make it harder to remember when to pay your rego.

In SA we do not have rego stickers on all vehicles under 4.5t, so it is hard to remember. Little note on the calendar does help(only if you remember to look at it)
Cheers
XR8235 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #58
XR8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
We do get the paper rego reminder to put in the bills to pay pile
Old 19-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #59
XR8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I'd give your transport department a call, I'd be very surprised if they don't send out texts.....even if they don't, don't they send you a letter???

NSW RMS send at least 2 texts and a letter...
We do get paper reminder
Cheers
Old 19-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #60
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I don’t care about labels one way or the other.

An old classic with a label looks cool, a modern vehicle without one looks neat.

I have 11 cars registered and take full responsibility for ensuring everything is paid on time by having a prober cabinet and filing system.

Even if I had labels on the cars, many of them are covered and only get driven a few times a year and I would still have to occasionally go around and check the labels and that is something I can do just as easily by opening the file cabinet.

Everything is in date and monthly order for the year and it’s easy to see what’s coming due.

If I wanted I could also put an events calendar on the wall over my computer screen so I have an in your face visual reminder and add to it by using the calendar function in my computer to give me reminders with a self-determined early warning time dialled in.

On top of this I already get a number of reminders from the NSW RMS.

For those of you who don’t get email, text or postal notification or all three why not check your rego authority online and see if it’s available to you.

It could be just as easy as registering your details with them and providing a means of contact.
you must be very rich man but it not the everyone is in your life

Last edited by GasoLane; 19-11-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added quotes so it was understandable.
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post