Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #31
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Default Re: Ute tub trailer - thoughts and ideas wanted

Thanks Raptor. Haven't done the linky thing before.

Bernbo.
3rd party.
The chassis usually has to have a gooseneck type drawbar as the floor of the tub is higher than you would make a box trailer.
The tub is bolted on and could be refitted to a cabchassis again if needed.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #32
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for the questions, but do you have any photos of the chassis at all so I can get an idea as I'm in two minds whether I have a Crack at making it myself or farm it out. Thanks in advance.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #33
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We use a lockable trailer, safe, nothing gets stolen, use it for swap meets, camping, travelling, tip runs etc, the top is removable in about 10 minutes (undo four bolts from inside of trailer).

We have the same problem a normal 4x4, two kids and two dogs, so when we travel we always use a trailer for luggage, kids in back seat and dogs in the back of 4x4.

Trailer is now over 15 years old and sits outside, well worth the $$$ I spend back then,

Also fits dirt bikes and other stuff.

I fitted matching wheels as I like to take it offroad and it looks cool

When I used to tow it behind my Falcon:

Fitted with bigger wheels and raised up, also added the sign writing one Sunday arvo:

Used as a box trailer:

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #34
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
Sorry for the questions, but do you have any photos of the chassis at all so I can get an idea as I'm in two minds whether I have a Crack at making it myself or farm it out. Thanks in advance.
Having trouble uploading photos [to small in gallery]
But it is basically a square perimeter chassis with a 150mm dropdown drawbar.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...6&ppuser=29148
http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...ub_1_small.jpg
Old 08-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #35
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Tips on how to upload and post images from the gallery here;
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447020

Cheers, Raptor
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #36
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's perfect, thanks to you both Raptor and Xtremerus. I thought that's what you meant by a goose neck but much easier to see it in a pic. This might be a nice little side project to get the welding skills up to scratch!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #37
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Raptor (and others), in that 2nd pic the springs have the standard bushed pivot mount on the front, but on the rear they're the free floating "slot" in type.

Is there any disadvantage to this type of setup? As in I have a commercially built trailer with the swung bushed pivoting hangers like you'd commonly find on leaf sprung cars/utes.

Might be good advice for Bernbo considering he's looking at building his own chassis.

Good luck too Bernbo - commercial built trailers are ******* expensive!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #38
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's perfect, thanks to you both Raptor and Xtremerus. I thought that's what you meant by a goose neck but much easier to see it in a pic. This might be a nice little side project to get the welding skills up to scratch!!!
before you make a side project you may just want to check legality of making your own with the road trans lic group in your area
last time I checked here now you have to fill paper work and get approved and what ever then they give you the go ahead and a chassis no to put on it
then still the checks at rta to pass pit inpsection

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #39
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Raptor to the rescue again.
Thanks
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #40
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm hearing ya Supershifty, the price of a simple box trailer, albeit a new one is is up there considering what it is. I would consider a new one as it is one of those "every man should have one" things that you'll only ever buy once. But the ones I see locally are so dear, $2 grand for even a 4*7ft bunnings special is too rich for me, hence the tub trailer. To be honest I can't see myself throwing a tonne in it but I like things to have a bit of redundancy. There are trailer kits on ebay and probably from local mobs that have everything in them to weld up your own, both slipper and eyelet springs and they are a reasonable price. Obviously labour is free and I will have no one but to blame if I stuff it except for myself, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so not a bad thing.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #41
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Here is the one I made with a Ranger tub...

naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #42
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
before you make a side project you may just want to check legality of making your own with the road trans lic group in your area
last time I checked here now you have to fill paper work and get approved and what ever then they give you the go ahead and a chassis no to put on it
then still the checks at rta to pass pit inpsection
I have done some research and it is fairly straight forward here in Queensland especially if kept as a very light trailer class i.e. under 750kg atm. Just need to apply for a Vin, do a self assessment for rego and as long as it is made according to the national vsb for very light trailers it's all good. I've read the vsb and it is also straight forward, even if you go to the next weight class up. Rego is more involved and requires an inspection by main roads. Thanks for your concern though, I'm a stickler for the rules and the last thing I would want to do is put anyone at risk. I work in an ED department so not fond of accidents!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #43
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=naddis01;5849594]Here is the one I made with a Ranger tub...

That's a serious looking frame...what did your atm and tare work out to be?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #44
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

1600kg I think it was. Tare was a bit over 500kg
It had provision for the spare underneath as well and room for a toolbox on the drawbar.

I had a Falcon one previously which was about 450kg tare which was pointless without brakes.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #45
sr71

Have you considered the Alko Torsion axle systems. Were about $1100 with integrated brakes??
And build a 50mm receiver into Towbar space at rear( of tub) So you can add a bike rack. Plus adding a Thule Goal Post ( or make one ) allows use of a hard lid and carry long lengths/ladder (... Sports bar needed. Or weld something up at front.)
Also look into hinged drawbars. Longer (rather than short) drawbar geometry gives a nice comfortable tow, easier for precision reverse parking and folds away to close garage door.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #46
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Here is the one I made with a Ranger tub...

Ranger tubs are a tad longer then that of a falcon. If you can tow a 1500 odd kilo combined weight boat on trailer with inertia disk brakes (in nsw) then why don't you just simply add a set of heavy duty springs, an axle to suit, and a set of cable disks under the tub. It's the way boat trailers have worked for decades. The brakes do get a bit skittish with no load on the trailer so without the load of the boat it's much easier to drive with the trailer unloaded with the collar on. That's normally how I park the trailer, often enough I see others reversing against the inertia brakes (collar up) then see the trailer lock up then their difficulties reversing into giant parking spots
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #47
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep all good points, thanks for that. I am going to try and keep the spare in the same pos as the ute and had already thought of the bike rack in that configuration you suggested. Never seen the thule goal posts, nice idea but cheaper to a set. Depending on which tub and hard top I may end up with a 3 piece top with sports bar. I think they made a matching rear bar, if not I'll make one if needed.
Old 25-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #48
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So to close this thread, I actually found a trailer on gummy, was already made, registered as a 750kg atm but very well engineered and with a one tonne axle. Has a 280kg tare, so a legal 470kg load, but I could easily throw some brakes on it as well as some reflectors to take it up a class and all for a price less than a brand new box trailer from Bunnings. Now I got to source a hard top or a carryboy cannot to make it even more multi use.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #49
Kicking back

Quote:
So to close this thread, I actually found a trailer on gummy, was already made, registered as a 750kg atm but very well engineered and with a one tonne axle. Has a 280kg tare, so a legal 470kg load, but I could easily throw some brakes on it as well as some reflectors to take it up a class and all for a price less than a brand new box trailer from Bunnings. Now I got to source a hard top or a carryboy cannot to make it even more multi use.
imageimage
Nice, colour coded draw bar and all the rest. It looks good.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #50
Kicking back

Probably should have included this earlier, but I do like ratchet jockey wheels. They make heavy trailers so much easier to dolly around on slopes.
Old 25-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #51
nstg8a

That looks mint.

Mines looking pretty haggard these days, Plastidip is finally fading after two-threes years in the elements, plus the lack of tie down spots means the wheel arches have take a beating from tie down straps lol.

I'm always watching out for a replacement, I love these things haha.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #52
Kicking back

Thats what caught my eye. It needs a fake exhaust pipe.
Old 25-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #53
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm thinking of putting a hitch receiver on it so I can put a bike rack or a T bar on it for kayaks if I don't get a canopy. I could bolt an exhaust to the towbar I suppose to fill the hole.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 25-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #54
Kicking back

Quote:
I'm thinking of putting a hitch receiver on it so I can put a bike rack or a T bar on it for kayaks if I don't get a canopy. I could bolt an exhaust to the towbar I suppose to fill the hole.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
For sure bolt on a hayman Reece carrier so you can fit a bike rack. Yes it's illegal to tow a trailer behind a trailer, but nothing says it's not legal to have a bike rack on a trailer
Old 26-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #55
sr71

How about a Dual Exhaust Rear bar. With Dummy Exhaust Tips, over Dual Hitch Receivers. Then just a 50mm Bar, in each receiver, supporting this type of bike rack. It's a Thule 594XT, and has no frame contact.

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/162566151353

4 bikes could easily be done. And could also be a good anchor point for an Adjustable rear Rack, for the Kayaks. Made to clear Carryboy canopy and/or tub lid.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post