Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
fauxpas

Default Sig Pics Please?

What are out chances of having pics enabled in our sigs?

This is undoubtedly the premier Ford forum available for us, I think it's fitting we have pics enabled...

Moderators just need to police size...

Please please please?

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
Old 10-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxpas
What are out chances of having pics enabled in our sigs?

This is undoubtedly the premier Ford forum available for us, I think it's fitting we have pics enabled...

Moderators just need to police size...

Please please please?

like the one you have already???????
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
rodderz

I'm unsure whether it could happen in the future, but in the past it hasnt been implemented as the dialup users would be waiting forever for pages to load
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I'm unsure whether it could happen in the future, but in the past it hasnt been implemented as the dialup users would be waiting forever for pages to load
Boohoo, get with the times :
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
Boohoo, get with the times :
It would be interesting to see actually how many people are still on dialup these days

Some people also have dialup speeds if they use a connection from a phone to a laptop too
Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

on GTAForums they got this system where it measures the pixels of an image in your signature when you upload it, so the mods don't have to do anything. But they use Invision not vBulletin.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
fauxpas

We could keep them small like mine...

Oh, and the text loads before the pics anyhow, so dialuppers don't have to wait for every pic to appear...

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #8
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

if everyone had a picture of your size in their sig, and even if sigs only displayed once per page it would still be hell slow for dial up. I know my DSL goes to 64k after my traffic i used up and FF.com was really annoying.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry guys, we decided long ago not to have pics in the sig. Everyone has an avatar and profile pic.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #10
CruizinEB
Banned

I'd only have a pic this size,
Old 10-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #11
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now you get a pic this size ----->
Old 10-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #12
fauxpas

I'm not saying this in an angry way, but just about all the other forums I belong to have images enabled in sigs with restrictions, including the other Ford Forums... I feel it's so amateur not to have them...

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
Old 10-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #13
Aeron
DJR Fan

Most sig pics are restricted to this size ----->

468 X 60 is a standard Web Banner.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 10-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm at a loss to see how it's amateur or otherwise. It's a signature pic on an internet forum. Regardless, we have no plans to include them.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxpas
I'm not saying this in an angry way, but just about all the other forums I belong to have images enabled in sigs with restrictions, including the other Ford Forums... I feel it's so amateur not to have them...

I dont think it's amateur either...we're all here to discuss Fords for 90% of the time, we dont need pics in sigs to be able to do that

You can see how quickly this site has grown and the info that is contained inside it to observe how non-amateur it is
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #16
fauxpas

Its also about being proud of your ride, which car based forums are all about...

I can imagine a forum about sexually transmitted diseases would have images disabled...

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #17
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can be proud of your ride without having a sig pic. We even have the Show N Shine area for better sized pics and details of your ride.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #18
fauxpas

So you guys are the 1/100 that disable images... fine... the other 99/100 forums must be crazy then huh?

Anyway, I rarely hang around forums with restrictions or nazi admins. Been a short but good time here, spose I'll buzz off now.

Its a pity though, as I truely found this the best of the 3 forums... too bad its the only 1 with images disabled... Its also a pity you didn't let the vote take place, which is what a forum is all about.

Quote:
forum

1: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
2: a public facility to meet for open discussion
I'm not even suggesting an upload facility, just enabling image links...

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 PM   #19
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bye Tony.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:06 AM   #20
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Highly amusing, and you worked out out to use Bold too......... :

Last edited by Laminge; 11-12-2005 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Cannot be bothered dealing with nobs
Old 11-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #21
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
It would be interesting to see actually how many people are still on dialup these days
Maybe a poll in the Bar on what internet speed members are using, would bring in some results.

I too would like to have this feature. Looks pretty good I reckon, and as long as it's a small pic (see below) of say.. 40KB or below / 100X600 or below in size, it shouldn't bother the dial-up users. The dial-up users have the option to turn sig's and avatars off in the user control panel under edit options if they so wish.

This has been raised a few times on here, obviously something members are of want. There was a mention by Admin a while back that this feature would be considered for DM members. If it's something that is difficult to set up, difficult for people to get used to, difficult because it been decided on by Admin, then please ignore.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #22
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 11-12-2005, 02:22 AM   #23
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

I just have to say on the Dialup user reasoning, I remote desktop to a machine that i view the forums from in the USA some of the time (long story), and the thing that kills the page load is the Sponsors at the top of the page, and I know that when you're dialing up its worse having witnessed this on another forum members machine while they temporarily had Dial up when moving....

I'm not for or against sig pics, cos while there are some good ones, there are some immensly annoying ones too.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #24
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I find it odd that we are the only forum that has it disabled but there are so many forums that have links and images as signatures. Yet the sponsor adverts on EVERY page can be accommodated by admin but the average Joe doesn’t get the option? TO me its strange, if the users want it, what is the issue?

Old 11-12-2005, 03:07 AM   #25
EFFalcon
Last warning

To be honest, i'd much prefer to not have it.
I'm on broadband, and it'd be perfectly fine loading wise, but after being capped for the last few days, the forums are painfully slow on dial up speeds, those sigs would just make it worse.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 11-12-2005, 03:12 AM   #26
neb
hibernating

loading times arent the only issue... i think having pics in sigs would make it look alot more busier and annoying really.. i don't think there is any real need to have them
Old 11-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #27
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

there is no 'need' for them of course but some creativity and pics might be alittle more newbie friendly. I have just forgotten what the main reason was again? Is it simply to minimise the clutter or to keep AFF dial-up friendly? EFFalcon and Gammaboy both make valid points as to why not I was just having a little drunken rant about the sponsors logos taking up half the browser :(

Sorry about that Jeff and admin team.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'm on cable and wouldn't want it. Less clutter is better.

Jeez, it's only a picture, it's not the end of the world.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #29
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I'm on cable and wouldn't want it. Less clutter is better.

Jeez, it's only a picture, it's not the end of the world.
Same here, just looking at the pic's in this thread it seems too busy and cluttered, the current format is great.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Im on a dialup and this thread came up ok with the few examples that are in here, but I really dont see why its a "must have". You have an avatar, you have the ability to write up to 400 characters in your sig, if you miss it that much just link to it and people can open it in a new window.