Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #31
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Better than any Ho Falcon, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Also saying 3D printing still won't cut it in 30 years is like saying personal computers are a gimic in 1980. A lot will change in 30 years, especially with technology.
3D printing MAY get there,but for small relatively bespoke items it's years way. My words from a previous post below,

"How are you going to remake a SMD built model specific ECU when it gets fried with a short in the 45 year old wiring?I've seen first hand the present quality of 3 D printing bespoke components in the present aftermarket,it's very very basic,years away from becoming a true alternative,meanwhile theses cars will be retired"

Oh,and Stefan...look at the "IF" I pre empted the comment you refer to. Like I say,feel free to "invest" in these future money makers,everyone has a choice. I'm just mentioning the real risks. Just because the old iron is making money now isn't a given the new stuff will follow. Feel free to do as you will.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #32
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

You know what? I don't care whether my cars will be worth anything in the future, but because they are all very well kept examples, EVERY car below in my sig turns heads. You don't see any of them readily on the road anymore. Even my AU XR8 gets a lot of attention. People notice them unlike what's out there in the majority of instances. Will they be worth heaps down the track? Probably not, but you know what? All of them have pretty much hit their lowest points of value and have either stabilised or are starting to creep up a little....especially in the case of the P6, XF Ghia and the manual EF XR8.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 AM   #33
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Does this mean my car will become sought after too?

I ask in jest. lol
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #34
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put on my tinfoil hat and sat in my phone box last night to see what is in the future of 2050.

There was very little petrol, what was available was expensive, and a new car from 2017 was not able to run on it because it was so different in composition.
There were still a number of present days cars there, static museum pieces in replica ‘town’ museums. ( Anyone ever been to Miles Qld, you will know what I mean.)
Petrol driven cars were considered ‘an old fashioned novelty’ , as during the 2030s electric cars were the same as mobile phones today, cheap, disposable, and everyone had to have the latest renamed upgrade from TeslaSung.
Tourist travel around Australia no longer existed, it was too expensive and the vehicles were not suitable to negotiate the poorly maintained highways. Travel was done in your loungeroom with a vitual reality helmet. Most world travel was by solar powered trains and boats, but there were very few in Australia because we couldn’t afford to buy them from Saudi Arabia.

So all you blokes (and sheilas) out there with your expensive, low km XR8s, SSV Redlines under dust covers, waiting for them to be worth $20M, it ain’t going to happen. And those who say I’m wrong, well Time will be the judge, but I won’t be around to say “ I told you that in 2017”
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #35
Dave1966

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11460378

For the believers have a look at the ML500 pics. Daily life dealing with modern cars in any shop. Saw a similar thing in a mates shop with an AMG,car was basically worthless coz they couldn't promise the owner new parts would be the end of it or the beginning of a whole lot of money.Years to come this stuff might be rare but so is rocking horse crap,doesn't make it worth anything. Watch out for the contrails to boys.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #36
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been down this path before - the one thing I learnt IMO is to enjoy what you have in the present day, drive, maintain and get the bloody thing out on the road.

No use being 75 years old driving a GTF and can't even change gear because of the strain on the old left leg - may be worth a few dollars, but should have been enjoyed in the day.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #37
Ford Man
Starter Motor

Coming back to the original post re the A9X price at auction...I had to laugh. My family owned a Holden dealership in Melbourne at the time and we were allocated 2 X A9X's...one 4 door the other a hatchback....both red.
They were in stock for a lifetime.....could not sell them if we gave them away...same as the HX LE Monaro....could not give them away....
I know we all have stories about the one's that got away...but these were brand new and if anyone told me one would make $260K in 30 years you would have put them in a straight jacket and sent them off to the funny farm!

Anyway I have my XRGT in the shed and quite frankly I don't give a damn what it will be worth in the future....I have it for NOW.....drive and enjoy now....who knows what the future holds!
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #38
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Coming back to the original post re the A9X price at auction...I had to laugh. My family owned a Holden dealership in Melbourne at the time and we were allocated 2 X A9X's...one 4 door the other a hatchback....both red.
They were in stock for a lifetime.....could not sell them if we gave them away...same as the HX LE Monaro....could not give them away....
I know we all have stories about the one's that got away...but these were brand new and if anyone told me one would make $260K in 30 years you would have put them in a straight jacket and sent them off to the funny farm!

Anyway I have my XRGT in the shed and quite frankly I don't give a damn what it will be worth in the future....I have it for NOW.....drive and enjoy now....who knows what the future holds!

I bought mine in 1982 second hand for $7500 (it’s a white sedan) and the only thing that saved it from going under the scalpel and being butchered was I accepted a job in Sydney and left it back home in Dad’s shed because I didn’t have room for it at the flat I was living in.

Years later when I realised what I really owned and that wasn’t something that was worth money but I had a car that was rare I kept it stock.

I’m amazed at that price though, I thought they were worth around $120/150k.

Obviously the buyer wasn’t short of a quid and really wanted it.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #39
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

40 years ago my mates used to like telling me my Cobra would never be worth anything.

As for GT-F's sitting in garages wrapped in plastic, every one I know of gets driven to within an inch of it's life and it's great to see.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #40
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Better than any Ho Falcon, apparently.

give me an unrestored low mile L34 over an A9X 2 or four dour any day. it was the REAL animal
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: