Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
adz193
EL XR6

Default FGX Coilovers - Roadworthy?

I've just bought an FGX XR8 which has a set of shockworks coilovers fitted, and have had the car off for a roadworthy only to be told by the mechanic that coilovers aren't passable by vic roads... As far as I knew, as long as aftermarket suspension was within legal height, ADR compliant and retained two thirds of original shock travel it was legal
Can anyone shed some light on this and clarify for me? Searching through vic roads website at the moment but am yet to find anything... I'm in Vic by the way

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: FGX Coilovers - Roadworthy?

Their construction is no different to what comes from factory - the front struts are coilovers anyway. Is it the height adjustable ring they object to?

Perhaps PM Brett from Shockworks (they are a site sponsor) and see if he can help.

The modification bible for vicroads doesn't mention coilovers, so it appears it's just the mechanics interpretation (hell, they even allow airbag suspension!)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 31-01-2017 at 07:04 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Their construction is no different to what comes from factory - the front struts are coilovers anyway. Is it the height adjustable ring they object to?

Perhaps PM Brett from Shockworks (they are a site sponsor) and see if he can help.
I'm not sure what it is to be honest, i'm getting this info second hand from the seller of the vehicle. Already called Brett, and he confirmed most of what i've said... ADR compliant, 2/3rds shock travel, adjustability not an issue, original mounting points. I'm confused... do I ask the seller to find another mechanic or am I missing something?

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
I'm not sure what it is to be honest, i'm getting this info second hand from the seller of the vehicle. Already called Brett, and he confirmed most of what i've said... ADR compliant, 2/3rds shock travel, adjustability not an issue, original mounting points. I'm confused... do I ask the seller to find another mechanic or am I missing something?
Ask the seller to find another (competent this time) mechanic
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: