Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Finally some common sense suggestions re: fatal accidents

It is sad to see that it takes a multiple fatality accident for some decent suggestions to come forward regarding road safety, it is much better than the normal speed kills and high powered cars kill drivel that we are commonly subjected to. I remember this accident well because the initial knee jerk reaction was putting bans on L platers for high powered cars.

The below article does not mention the findings but in summary the reccomendations have been to 1. Encourage car manufacturers to make stability control, ABS and traction control standard on new vehicles 2. Place a one passenger restriction on L Plate drivers 3. Vic Roads to do a study on the effects of fatigue on learner drivers

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html

For the record there was no suggestion by the coroner that the vehicles power was a contributing factor in this accident. Unfortunately the media has passed the buck straight to the car manufacturers whereas I believe this is an area the government should also be responsible for. The coroner also suggested with that these added safety features as standard an estimated 40% of fatalities could be avoided, this does seem fairly high to me but even 20% would be a fantastic inroad.