Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #31
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

ok well its all back on, after 2 weeks of being off the road im looking forward to a drive, however, there is no movement if I rock the wheel up and down but left and right (i.e. towards and away from the car) there is a small amount of movement.

I had major issues with tightening the tie rod and that stupid swivel bolt that has the tapered end so I was wondering... will it be safe to drive or should I get a mechanic to check it over?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #32
bigred
Ford lover

Guys,

Having the same problem with my AU2 IRS Ghia.

Already taken it to a guy who said he could fix it, broke my hub trying to get the bearing out and then put a wreckers hub on it, guess what, that bearing is rooted as well! Was OK for a few days (and realised that the diff is whiney as well) It sounds worse than it did with the original rooted hub+bearing.

Spoke to Ben at Northern Differentials, melbourne (based on a bit of goggling) so taking the car down there this weekend. Said they can do the bearings (at lot less than what its cost me so far) and rebuild the diff same day so we'll see how we go.

Wish me luck - heres hoping to see some change from 1500.

W
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #33
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
ok well its all back on, after 2 weeks of being off the road im looking forward to a drive, however, there is no movement if I rock the wheel up and down but left and right (i.e. towards and away from the car) there is a small amount of movement.

I had major issues with tightening the tie rod and that stupid swivel bolt that has the tapered end so I was wondering... will it be safe to drive or should I get a mechanic to check it over?
I'm glad you have it all going now as I can know what this job is like have done this a few times myself and would of told you to do it the same way as RG suggested. I have done this job a few times now but if everyone dose it this way there will be no more hub assyembly's left
I would get it checked over to be on the safe side as I know what happends when the tie rod comes loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
Guys,

Having the same problem with my AU2 IRS Ghia.

Already taken it to a guy who said he could fix it, broke my hub trying to get the bearing out and then put a wreckers hub on it, guess what, that bearing is rooted as well! Was OK for a few days (and realised that the diff is whiney as well) It sounds worse than it did with the original rooted hub+bearing.

Spoke to Ben at Northern Differentials, melbourne (based on a bit of goggling) so taking the car down there this weekend. Said they can do the bearings (at lot less than what its cost me so far) and rebuild the diff same day so we'll see how we go.

Wish me luck - heres hoping to see some change from 1500.

W
1500 is what it cost me a few years ago you might want to add a few hundred for inflation
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #34
Cobravan
Bitsa

Default Adelaide options for IRS Bearing problems.

Just went through this myself this week on my AU XR8 ex police car. Thought I would share what I have learned.

Ford dealers in Adelaide and probably everywhere else won't touch your rear bearings if you remove the assembly yourself. They want the whole job or nothing, something about not wanting liability of improperly fitted rear bearing assemblies to the car. (Ok I can understand that in this day and age of people not taking responsibility for their actions)

Most mechanics and diff businesses don't have the ability, knowledge or big enough press to press out the hubs and old bearings.

I went to an Engineering shop, they pressed the bearings easily. Even one Ford dealer I spoke to said they use an engineering shop to do theirs!

Guess what, after 2 years of meaning to change the bearings (made driving interesting) the drivers side hub was stuffed!!

The hunt to find a replacement!!

New from ford $440. Hell no!! A big ford wreckers north of Adelaide sell the whole assembly for $390 With no idea of how good or bad the bearing is or if the hub is just as bad. All other wreckers at the time had nill stock. There's no hope of U pull it having one..

Then by chance I found Falcon Spares and Repairs, Or Limo Scene I have seen it called, in Lonsdale.. Had second hand hubs already removed and cleaned ready to go, even had a press to fit it for me. For a great price!!

These guys do this job all the time and really know their stuff. I highly recommend them. If you have any late model ford issues try them first, I will from now on!!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #35
felix4176
Starter Motor

Default Re: Rear AU IRS Wheel Bearings are stuffed

i am quite puzzled i had to replace my lhr wheel bearing (which seems quite common) came on here read this post and shat myself thinking it was going to be hell but after using my grandfathers 20t press from supercheap without a problem lol like a hot knife thru butter it seems to me you blokes like exagerate things a little dont get me wrong spot about every thing but the 50t press, my biggest problem was the deep 36mm socket being my set only goes to 32 shallow
felix4176 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not at all mate, some bearings do come out easy, others are a bastard.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Hi guys, i just bought a neat 99 au fairlane (irs) v8 with 135,000 km and noticed a vibration above 70km/h. Found lhr bearing loose.
Took car back to dealer for repair as it def should not have passed road worthy.

How many km did your cars have when the wheel bearing failed? Which side?

Also has excess driveline thud or clunk when shifting r to d or when cruising to accellerating on freeway etc.

Will need to check bushes shafts etc.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Don't worry about kms - just about anything can go wrong on a 14 year old car
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #39
SVR73
Mr Polish

I changed my AU XR's rear bearings recently with SKF brand stuff for $35 a side
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #40
mif73
CNC fixer guy

skf bearings for $35 each,
that sounds too cheap, are you sure they were'nt a chinese knock off??

If they were indeed legit, what part no and where did you get em so cheap?

cheapest i have found in Mel is NTN (japan) bearing for $70 each.

cheers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #41
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
skf bearings for $35 each,
that sounds too cheap, are you sure they were'nt a chinese knock off??

If they were indeed legit, what part no and where did you get em so cheap?

cheapest i have found in Mel is NTN (japan) bearing for $70 each.

cheers.
I bought Timken bearings from the states. I could have had them for ~$80 delivered but chose to expedite (4 day turn around) and cost me $115. They're actually a more common part than is thought. Used on IRS mustang, Jaguar XK and Ford Taurus of some years.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2022, 12:40 AM   #42
RedFox
Starter Motor

Hi, is it possible to buy a new hub and bearing and swap it out easily (without any special tools or press)?

hub need replacing as broken stud and I think the bearing is stuffed anyway. Jusy want to know if it can be done at home.

cheers

2001 fairlane ghia au2 5L IRS
RedFox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post