Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Cool GEEZ LOUISE Engine swap

Well the coupe has run her last race (for now) with the matching number motor. It has come out and I have been challenged by Jack to rebuild it. Surely he knows better than to challenge me by now :evil3: It shall be stroked and blown :

Under the bonnet was always a shocker so we have decided to get the engine bay resprayed, new crossmember welded in, put in another motor until the rebuild is done on the 302 and have it so we can actually open the bonnet and not be embarrassed by the mess under it

We are going to put in a 351 Toploader, going from Auto to Manual. This should all be done before Echuca.

Here are some pics of the before mess:

Engine coming out:

YUK!!

The engine bay hasn't been touched since we bought the Coupe nearly 14yrs ago and it shows!!

We bought a replacement motor off a member of the forums and will be making some changes to it (Of course!) We had it shipped down to us from Queensland. (Big thanks to Darren at FTGAutosalvage for organising the freight for us)

Here are some before shots of the replacement motor as it is at the moment..

I am working on the new door trims and console too. Will post up more pics as it progresses

Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Fantastic!! I'm looking forward to seeing the result at Echuca. It'll make a great coupe even better.

Well done for giving it a go Col. Jack has created a monster!!

Keep the updates and pics comming. : :

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
cob115
COUPE WHORE

great news if $$$ permit go a stroker

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

As you all know....I know NOTHING about engines or how to rebuild them...but I am going to go on a very steep learning curve very shortly.

Jack gets annoyed with me reading manuals but hey! that is why people write them :P

I am sure I will make HEAPS of mistakes but that is half the fun... I am really looking forward to it. and I know if I get stuck...You guys will help guide me in the right direction.

I have told Jack he is banned from helping me at all!! : He put the challenge out, so he will just have to wait and see what I can come up with. :evil3:
Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
homegrown
hotshot

Fantastic effort thats the way. Dive in, its the only way you learn. If you get stuck you know you got good support here.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
homegrown
hotshot

I was the same. Never taken a motor out in my life. but when I re-done the engine bay I had great advice from here. Took the motor out. Done the welding and painted it. Its so much more satisfying. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Bearman

So, why are you on the computer and not out there on the tools?? Get on with it!!! : : :

PS, you and Jack gonna be at the Shannons auction tonight??

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

I am completing stuff for the club website Craigly....or would ya prefer me to stop doing the updates you asked for.. ..

I will be starting on the motor early next week as I also have some other obligations that I have to take care of first.

All good things take time....

And no, we won't be going to the Shannon's auction. I will contact Tiny shortly for a chat though and wish him good luck
Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I am completing stuff for the club website Craigly....or would ya prefer me to stop doing the updates you asked for.. ..
OK, I'll be good............. :

I'll pass on your regards to Tiny if I get a chance to talk to him.

Cheers, Craig.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

graham (hamfist) and i are getting pretty used to taking clevo's out, helped a mate remove one the other day, from the bonnet being shut to motor laying on the ground took 1 hour, starting to get a little scary, good luck Coll with the rebuild! LEARN BY DOING! its the only way. Go the Coupes!

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Good to see your giving it a go, only way to learn, we all learn from our mistakes, lol. well some of us do,lol.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Geez Louise
Awesome

Well my baby has gone off for her Makeover.

The only time she will be a trailor queen...only because she doesn't have a motor.

Also noticed when we stripped it back that the Radiator support panel was bent. So we are getting that replaced as well

Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The work he does and the quality for his age is inspiring. keeps me always looking at his thread and a lot of people seem to get a better understanding on how to do things and what can be saved by his photo full threads 

anymore progress???????
Coupes and More is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Bit of an update. The coupe work has begun. We have a FANTASTIC panel beater who is sending us updated pics as all the work progresses.

On the hoist...no guards. A small amount of rust was found under one of the guards when it was removed but nothing major and is now being fixed. :

Crossmember. As you can see it is not in good shape..

And the crossmember coming out..

I purchased all the material for the door skins too yesterday and had planned to finish them off but was too cold.

xclizzard has offered me a block to play around with before tackling the rebuild on the motor....Thanks Lindsay. Think I will definitely take you up on that!

Thats all for now.
Old 16-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Geez Louise
Awesome

The rust has now been cut out and lead filled

My baby without a front end..:(

Replacement (NOS) Radiator support panel

Replacement (NOS) Front Crossmember ready to be welded in.

How good does that look!

Only the best for my baby!

Jack is taking the bonnet and some other bits to the Panel beater today. I was ready to go but the dreaded flu has come back for another bite!!

Getting excited! The coupe is just about ready to go to paint now... :
Old 16-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
Apollo66
My toy

Location: South Ozz on the only leg Australia has to stand on

Looking good. NOS parts looks, like someones been doing a bit of hording : top stuff.
Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
Geez Louise
Awesome

You know the old saying Kerry..." It's not what you know, it's who you know" :
Old 16-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Good work mate it looks like you have someone you can trust on the job!! Awesome that hes updating you with pics too
fordmfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #19
Geez Louise
Awesome

Jack went down and had a look at the car on Tuesday. It was out of alignment in the front by 20mm. Looks like it was in an accident YEARS ago. You really couldn't see the damage until the front end came off but that is now all aligned properly.

Yes it is great they send through pics to us whenever the car is worked on. We have received heaps of photos but I dont post them all up. Would take too long for the page to load!

Car is being painted shortly and we should have it back in our hot little hands within 2 weeks. Then the fun of putting the motor back in begins. :

We are going to try putting it back in with the extractors attached. I have heard it can be done....we shall see.
Old 18-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #20
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

good onya.. keep pics and progress coming.. can i ask about the nos replacement bits.. did you have hassles with them ligning up? i've heard they can cause a few headaches..
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #21
Geez Louise
Awesome

Not that I know of. The guy who is repairing the car, really knows what he is doing and has replaced more than a few of these over the years.
Old 18-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #22
Apollo66
My toy

Location: South Ozz on the only leg Australia has to stand on

Might be a bit tight depending on type of headers you have. I droped mine in with gearbox attached, but I placed the headers in before, had rapped them with glad wrap so not to mark the coating(ceramic coated), and the paintwork, used cable ties to hold them in place. Worked well, use plenty of old sheets and line out the engine bay so as to not bark up any paint.
[IMG][/IMG]
Just a pic taken after sitting it in, you can still see the glad wrap.

Cheers Kerry
Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #23
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Yep, i agree.
never had much luck bolting on the extractors first, something always gets too close.
Wrap them in blankets and put them in the bay first . thats what i do as well
Project looks good , well done to you both.
Gary
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be a close call. Better off laying the extractors into the bay and droppin engine on top. Unless you have the genie ones which let no1 pipe disconnect from the headers. Reckon it could be more trouble than its worth trying to drop in with the pipes still on..
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #25
King Neptune

Talking

Well done Col,
I called in and had a yarn to your panel beater on Wednesday arvo. Saw the car, & looks to be coming along really well. That new cross member looks sweet! Stu was lurking around the factory aswell. Maybe we should rename him "The Phantom", bloody shows up when ever you least expect!
Cheers Rob.

Last edited by Tha Jack; 19-06-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Removing name of repairer
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmfp
Good work mate it looks like you have someone you can trust on the job!! Awesome that hes updating you with pics too
you cannot go wrong with them
col and jack's coupe will come out great, they have made a wise choice

Last edited by gtxb67; 18-06-2009 at 08:01 PM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #27
Geez Louise
Awesome

We are very lucky with the repairer. I am not going to mention at the moment who the repairer is or where the car is, as this is a public forum and I am just being over cautious. Hope you all understand

I will definitely give him a huge mention once the car is done and back at home, safe and sound

I did manage to polish a bumper we had laying around today. Came up a treat! Will post up more pics soon.

and I hear ya Rob....Stu tends to get around. God bless him, he is a sweetheart. Never met a guy that smiles soooo much!!
Old 19-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #28
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking good now Col!
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #29
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

How old are your powersteering hoses Geez ?? If they have a bit of age on them, do them while the donk is out, a lot lot easier............
Old 19-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #30
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
How old are your powersteering hoses Geez ?? If they have a bit of age on them, do them while the donk is out, a lot lot easier............
Good call. You wouldn't want one to let go and cover your nice neat engine bay with oil...... or worse!!