Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Tyre rules ??? For drags...

I have 17's on my car as std..
I have some slicks that are crossply..
I can't put any smaller tyes on front than 17's due to 350 mm brakes...
Can I purchase radial slicks on the back and be o/k ???
With road radials on front??....

Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Drag radials such as M/T are fine with your everyday tyres on the front...
The only time the std front wheels are a problem when you use a full slick the car will weave all over the place if you don't use a front runner with a full slick.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't weave all over the place with a slick on the back and radials on the front. That all depends on tyre pressures and speed. Do it right and their isn't an issue but most have no idea about tyre pressures etc.

I ran MT ET streets (crossply slicks) with radial tyres on the front running 12.950->11.96 for quite a few years. From 03 -> 05.

They are cracking down on it though apparently. I never had an issue but I got front runners after last financial period ended. I plan to go a little faster yet which means the car will get more than just a quick glance.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

You can not run with a standard street tyre with a full drag slick on the back, they wont allow it, nor should they its very dangerous...
I tried it by getting scrutinized 1st, then making the change on the tyres, my Ute weaved and wobbled at the top end of the track, lent them to Kev, Rodderz and my brother all the same result.

This explains it the long way:
Because front runners are cross ply construction and street tyres are radial. Cross ply don't grip much and radials grip heaps.... that's the whole idea. Don't mix radials with cross ply's construction tyres, simple... If you had radials on the front with slicks back, when the slick sidewall gets out of shape (because of the soft sidewalls that flex) and sends the rear of the car in one direction, your natural reaction is to correct it with a bit oposite lock the other way... With radials that will agressivleyy steer your car the other way sending the *** of the car hard the other way. Hope that makes sense. So guess what happens when you constantly correct the back of your car swinging left and right left and right. It get so out of shape eventually that you end up pointing for the WALL, and prob at high speed!

So with cross ply construction front runners, when you naturally correct it, it doesn't agressivley steer you and the whole car 'drifts' together left to right up the strip...

If you must run drag slicks with radials on the front, either put lots of pressure in the rear to firm up the sidewalls ie (over 15psi), and i find when it gets a 'little' wobbly the best thing you can do if your not going to back off is hold the steering wheel completly straight and floor it as hard as you can and hope it pulls it's self out of it! Its Dangerous.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
and i find when it gets a 'little' wobbly the best thing you can do if your not going to back off is hold the steering wheel completly straight and floor it as hard as you can and hope it pulls it's self out of it! Its Dangerous.
Mate of mine got kicked off the track at Wizard for this, it's a big no no.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
It doesn't weave all over the place with a slick on the back and radials on the front. That all depends on tyre pressures and speed.
Brenx this a very silly comment and is the sort of thing that young up & comers don't need to be hearing/reading

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car has tracked dead straight everytime. Only time I've ever had the wobbles is when I swapped to front runners (cross ply). Just my experience and I know many cars are run in the same config. You see them all the time @ Calder and Heathcote. I've seen 10sec pass's done with radials on the front.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
My car has tracked dead straight everytime.
I know its not supposed to be, but for naturally asperated heavy cars running these sort of times, i too found it fine. I had M/T full slicks and 225 Eager radials on front, and it runs dead strait to 111 mph over the 1/4, and way more than that on a test road we have tested with many times(down to 14 pounds in rear). Still, i too have now got propper front runners and would recomend them if racing, as it is the law and maybe even safer : .
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I use crossply hoosiers for circuit racing and for the first lap and a half its hang on with all you got till they warm up, I have tried slicks in the XAGT a few years ago with radials on the front and it weaved around a bit but not real bad, just sort of a gentle sway here and there,still I wouldnt do it with my car now
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

So I either reqiure Radial slicks or crossply front tyres?
With 400 rwkw I'll deff need to sort this out!!!
New radial slicks ... I guess ???
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 06-12-2005, 02:15 AM   #11
SpoolMan

A drag radial will not need a front runner, drag radial has a very firm side wall like your normal street car tyre, they have very sticky tread... the M/T drag radial I have seen George Haddad's 67 Falcon run 10.50 on them @ 131mph..
Give George a call he has the best prices on the M/T Range.
Haddad Race Cars & Engines
16a Amberley Crs Dandenong 3175 (03) 9794 6599
picture here.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

400rwkw I'd suggest a full slick and front runners but it won't hurt to try the ET street radials. My tuner destroyed a set with only 370rwkw

Old 06-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #13
jcxr
Tribal Elder

We know rules are rules, but you could go to your local VW wrecker and get a pair off 15'' conventional tyres and this passes o.k.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #14
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

GoodYear make front runners for 17" rims.

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
400rwkw I'd suggest a full slick and front runners but it won't hurt to try the ET street radials. My tuner destroyed a set with only 370rwkw
I destroyed a set on sunday,by the time i got the tune spot on they were cactus if only they held on a bit longer,they werent as good as I thought they would be though,I can only fit the 235's due to my wheels offset,I think the 275's would go better
Old 06-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #16
302donk

[QUOTE=XRFPV8]You can not run with a standard street tyre with a full drag slick on the back, they wont allow it, nor should they its very dangerous...

your dead right there XRFPV8 your on the ball dude out right dangerous!!!!!!
-
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

I think up to 130 mph the rules change and e/t times also?? Like roll cages etc....
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 07-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #18
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
A drag radial will not need a front runner, drag radial has a very firm side wall like your normal street car tyre, they have very sticky tread... the M/T drag radial I have seen George Haddad's 67 Falcon run 10.50 on them @ 131mph..
Give George a call he has the best prices on the M/T Range.
Haddad Race Cars & Engines
16a Amberley Crs Dandenong 3175 (03) 9794 6599
picture here.
Mark a mate of mine runs that tyre and has run a 9.2 sec pass @ around the 140 mph.Not a bad effort on a radial tyre.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
Mark a mate of mine runs that tyre and has run a 9.2 sec pass @ around the 140 mph.Not a bad effort on a radial tyre.
Was it Balinor ? let me guess, full street trim as well.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #20
balinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Was it Balinor ? let me guess, full street trim as well.
Maybe if I had the horsepower & torque figures you blokes throw around........
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #21
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
ROFL : One of us went and had an engine on an engine dyno. Which shows what's needed. Our XA-XC series vehicles are a little heavier.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #22
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
ROFL : One of us went and had an engine on an engine dyno. Which shows what's needed. Our XA-XC series vehicles are a little heavier.
Exactly,my mates call mine a block of flats lol
Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #23
balinor

Quote:
Have you weighed your car yet? I thought this weight difference was shown to be crap on the other forum (my XTGT came in at 1540kgs without driver 1630 with,Wato's XRGT came in at 1609kgs without driver 1725 with).
Old 08-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #24
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope, . I have to find a weigh bridge that will do it. Our strips don't have the facilities. I have to find time and a place to do that.

As was stated on the other forum. Another XB was running 10.7's @ AIR (Adelaide International Raceway). He made the effort and came to Vic to run unlike some who whine about our times matching our power. He ran 11.12 or 11.13. A little slower than myself and he has more hp. 617hp vs 588hp. A perfect track comparison. According to the other XB's owners info if I went to AIR I'd run 10.7's as is. That's drive in swap tyres, drop exhaust and race.

I'm just waiting for some more $ and colder weather and I'll race again.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #25
balinor

Well brenx,if our tracks are so much better,make the "effort" & race on them.......
Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Are you expecting these types of cars to match the moroso,they cant mate.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #27
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well brenx,if our tracks are so much better,make the "effort" & race on them.......
I'd like to see how you go on our tracks. I'd line up.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #28
balinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Are you expecting these types of cars to match the moroso,they cant mate.
I never mentioned the moroso mate.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #29
balinor

Quote:
I'd like to see how you go on our tracks. I'd line up.
Hopefully one day I will get down there or you up here,would be good fun.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #30
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
I never mentioned the moroso mate.
But you claim he dosent have the power he has from his et & mph, what do you base that off if not the moroso, I myself think he is pretty close to the mark coz ive biult a similar engine dynoed it and now raced it