Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should a "trailer license" become mandatory
No 18 16.22%
Yes but only for trailers bigger than "garden trailers" 51 45.95%
Yes but only on new licenses, incumbents get it automatically 3 2.70%
Yes, everyone gets it automatically but must do a test before initial issue or renewal 17 15.32%
Yes for those who own a registered trailer but test required for everyone else and for renewals 18 16.22%
Trailers (especially bloody caravans) should be banned 4 3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The following problem

This weekend I went for a wander to a function in Crows Nest and as it is "caravan season" on the New England Hwy there were lots of them.

One tried to kill me and another car on the way down and one tried to wipe out a whole line of traffic on the way back.

Both times it appeared that the driver "forgot" they had a trailer.

A loony with 3 motorbikes on a trailer being towed by an ancient commodore was convinced, I am sure, that the trailer had IRS and didn't seem to notice it bouncing around crossing the centre line several times.

So the question.....

Should there be a "trailer endorsement" or category on a driver's license required before a driver can tow a trailer and if so how should it be brought in?

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If you wish to tow a trailer IMO i think there should be a test. So the person wishing to tow a trailer has the basic knowledge on how to drive with one and also secure a load should be incorporated into it aswell. That said a lot of people have passed their licence test but still cannot drive
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Should there be a "trailer endorsement" or category on a driver's license required before a driver can tow a trailer and if so how should it be brought in?
Yes 100% absolutely and it should require a specific test where the driver is required to demonstrate that they can control a trailer/caravan just like you are required to show you can control a car to get your licence in the first place.

There should also be a law allowing all those with the stupid nicknames like "Col and Cheryl - UHF 44" etc on the back of their vans to be shot on site. Double barrel shot for those with "grey nomad", "aging disgracefully" or "spending the kids inheritance" stickers on them.
Old 28-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trailer towing endorsement? ABSOLUTELY.....

Old 28-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: people are already bitching about paying more at the pump, increased rego and state goverments revenue raising. Sure why not. Another reason to contribute more to the goverment coffers.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
BOSHOG
avenge me

people currently on the road getting the license automatically doesnt fix the problem straight away, maybe in 10-20yrs once they all go to the big trailer park in the sky itll help
Old 28-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes.
Over a certain weight.
With a advance driver course.
I see so many cars that are not set up the right way to tow a van.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is a pet hate of mine, a caravan or tandem with a car on it is far more dangerouse than an average semi imo, yet a car towing has basiccly zero training , you can`t drive a manual car if you have an auto licence yet you can put a dirty great traler /van/boat on and go for your life WTF? how about at the time of licenceing an extra box is ticked for the option of towing,and at the very least an hour video of what to expect and the dangers of towing and a bit about setup, questions and answers after to get certification, it`s not much but its something at least.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Hi Flappy

I believe anybody wanting to use a trailer of any description should have an endorsement to do so, it's frightening to see people who have never so much have driven outside the metro area to suddenly be on the open road with a huge caravan and have no idea of speed , cross winds, etc... and they generally take out the innocent with them!!! a pet hate of mine grrr

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

The first thing they need to fix is all the un-roadworthy traliers you see on the road, cant remember how many i've seen with tail lights that are faulty, and some of the older timber ones that are rotting should be taken off the road, they are a big hazard, there doesn't seem to be much policing on what condition some people keep there trailers in,

Once that was sorted i think there should be a test for anything over a standard 6x4 box trailer, the problem is of course even if you train people to tow, some people just wont be able to, alot of people struggle with a car, let alone one with some attached to it lol!
Old 28-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

But if you make people sit for a test, that will remove half the fun watching them use a boat ramp.....

That notwithstanding, yes, trailer endorsement......

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say yes

I have seen so many people that have no idea how to tow a trailer as much as i hate to say it butsome of my family have no clue and it scares the living poo out of me sometimes as they have no idea about the controll of the extra weight behind them

I had a mate write off his eb the other day due to a trailer and he is a truck driver so it just shows how hard it is to tow even if you have the experience

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Yes, definitely.

First bloody thing on the test should be reversing. The amount of attempts some people take is just stupid.

If you can;t do it, don't go to the bloody tip and try there.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
plumby
Huston we have lift off

yeah i have to agree. i tow a trailer for work n there are a lot of other drivers who have no idea on how to control one. i also think if u make electric brakes mandatory on trailers it make it that little bit safer for other road users.
plumby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
LightingBA

Definitely, everyone should have to do a test to tow a trailer and/or a caravan, the amount of people who cant seem to drive a car with a trailer/caravan attached is astounding.
On a side note when i got my p plates my dad made me learn to drive with a trailer because he deemed it a necessary skill.
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Yes, definitely.

First bloody thing on the test should be reversing. The amount of attempts some people take is just stupid.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is one of the things many simply cannot do!

Each year our school has various visiting groups with a trailer, usually on the back of a Falcon wagon. Watching them try and reverse the trailer to the hall doors to unload gear is hard.... I have had to step in and do it for them several times.

Then, once done, they had no clue on how to apply the brakes, drop down the jockey and unhitch / re-hitch the rig.

So, yes. I think there should be a ticket / extra component to your licence if you want to tow anything over a certain length or weight.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
This weekend I went for a wander to a function in Crows Nest and as it is "caravan season" on the New England Hwy there were lots of them.

One tried to kill me and another car on the way down and one tried to wipe out a whole line of traffic on the way back.

Both times it appeared that the driver "forgot" they had a trailer.

A loony with 3 motorbikes on a trailer being towed by an ancient commodore was convinced, I am sure, that the trailer had IRS and didn't seem to notice it bouncing around crossing the centre line several times.

So the question.....

OMG YES!!! I think for once everyone agrees here!!!

The military driving licence is very ******** and each and every trailer type is endoresed on their licences. 2 ton, 5 ton, 10ton, dual axle, single axle, articulated etc..

I went to the dump once and this poor woman there had no clue how to reverse a trailer, but at least she had the sence to ask me to do it for her.

A large majority of trailers i see on the road are so dangerous its not funny.
Most appear over loaded, have bald flat tyres, lights which dont work or a smashed off completely and riddled with rust!!!!

A lot of people dont even bother to cover their loads.

The amount of times i have seen people forget they have a trailer attached to their vehicle is incredible... then again the sad driver behavour overall is pretty pathetic too.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Always agreed and could never understand why there isn't a test or licence ...... there is for everything else!!!

Been to many caravan parks and watching some muppets reversing their vans is VERY entertaining ...... of course license them, even if it teaches them to know what MAX Gross capacity is, that a caravan weighs alot and can be very dangerous. There should also be higher fines for bad trailers, bad loads and bad towing.

Also cars should be inspected to match larger caravans and boats with a RWC issued matching the car to the caravan (A belongs to B) ..... making sure the basics are working like electric breaks, wheel bearings on trailers and mirrors you can see out of being the major checks ...... very simple stuff!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
jason71
google is my friend

Yep.

The amount of people that can't reverse with a trailer is ridiculous, should be able to do that a the least.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
MR_LON
ORSMT5

yes there should be extra steps on the licence to be able to tow a trailer/caravan of any size & everyone who wants to tow should have to do a test. further more every trailer should have to be registered & as many people only use a trailer a couple of times a year the test should be a yearly thing done when re-registering the trailer.
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spend a day at a boat ramp for giggles... it will highlight the problem with the lack of skills most people have when it comes to using a trailer....

Old 28-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #22
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Yes, definitely.

Agreed 100%. Too many muppets towing trailers who've no idea. Reversing should be the first test carried out. If you fail you have to wait a year before re-applying for the test :
Old 28-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #23
Kryton

If your automatically entitled to a Manual car license, without having to do any further training, tests or anything other than holding an Automatic car license for the term of your P plates, what chance do you think there ever will be to introduce something like this?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #24
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to go against the grain and say no. Just because you can pass the drivers licence does not mean you drive, so why would passing yet another test prove you can tow a trailer? It would be another over-regulated system with checks and balances to make sure the government fleeced you for all you are worth, but no actual requirements to show you know how to
a. control a trailer sway
b. reverse around a corner
c. be couteous to other road users
d. maintain the trailer, including tyres
e understand that just because your box trailer can fit 2 scoops of bluemetal does not mean it was rated to carry that amount
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ah, I see Geoffrey Robertson QC is back.

A timely poll Tony, check this out, specifically from post 2928

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=98&pp=30

No prizes for guessing what I voted.
Old 28-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Ah, I see Geoffrey Robertson QC is back.

A timely poll Tony, check this out, specifically from post 2928

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=98&pp=30

No prizes for guessing what I voted.
Bit cryptic there.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Bit cryptic there.
Which part?
Old 28-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #28
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Yes, i agree. Basic skills should be taught, esp how to make sure that your trailer is securely hitched.
A good start though would be a law mandating that if 3 or more cars are behind you on a single lane highway, you must pull over when safe to let the traffic pass.
It is very inconsiderate making others do 40 or 50 under the speed limit behind a diesel 4WD towing a boat or van whilst attempting to climb hills.
Hemicuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #29
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda
Yes, i agree. Basic skills should be taught, esp how to make sure that your trailer is securely hitched.
Yes I Agree, also with GTP Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda
A good start though would be a law mandating that if 3 or more cars are behind you on a single lane highway, you must pull over when safe to let the traffic pass.
It is very inconsiderate making others do 40 or 50 under the speed limit behind a diesel 4WD towing a boat or van whilst attempting to climb hills.
These rules already exist? obstructing/holding up traffic? something like that existed when I did my license in SA.
I don't believe more rules are the answer, just need people to follow the existing rules with a bit of courtesy.

If rules were the answer people wouldn't speed, DUI or fail to give etc.
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #30
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
These rules already exist? obstructing/holding up traffic? something like that existed when I did my license in SA.
I don't believe more rules are the answer, just need people to follow the existing rules with a bit of courtesy.
Yes actually they do exsist, its called obstructing traffic.
If your on a freeway doing 50kmh the police can book you for it.
(not that it happens much here! Being booked i mean)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post