Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Mitsi Pajero to be Phased Out 2-3 years.

"The iconic Mitsubishi Pajero four-wheel-drive is expected to be phased out in two to three years and replaced by a family seven-seater soft-roader like the Toyota Kluger and Nissan Pathfinder.

It’s no secret the Mitsubishi Pajero’s days are numbered, given it's been gradually withdrawn from sale in various countries around the world – including most recently its home market in Japan where the ‘Final Edition’ has been released.
However, while the Mitsubishi Pajero remains on sale in 70 countries – most of which are in Africa and South America – and will be available in Australian showrooms for the “foreseeable future” (likely the next two to three years), we now have the clearest indication yet it will not be replaced by another heavy duty four-wheel-drive.
The global chief operating officer of Mitsubishi Motors globally, Ashwani Gupta, indicated the void left by the Pajero could be filled by a car-derived seven-seat family SUV similar to the Toyota Kluger and Nissan Pathfinder.

During a recent visit to Australia, Mr Gupta was asked by local media if there was any possibility Mitsubishi could extend the life of the Pajero by equipping it with the latest advanced safety aids and updating the 3.2-litre turbo diesel engine to meet future emissions standards.
Given the development and tooling costs have already been recouped since this generation Pajero went on sale in 1998, Mr Gupta was asked if it would it be financially viable to simply update the existing vehicle rather than drop it from the line-up, or develop an all-new one.
“It’s too early to say because we are still continuing the production for Australia. We are working on the next mid-term plan,” said Mr Gupta.
When asked if it was viable to extend the life of the existing vehicle to meet modern safety and emissions standards, Mr Gupta again said: “It’s too early to say.”
When asked how long the Pajero would remain in production, he said: “Is there an end date? Yes, but it depends on the market.”
Mr Gupta was then asked if there could be a gap between the end of the current Pajero and the arrival of a new generation model.
“It’s too early to say, but for sure this kind of model needs high maintenance. The (cost of meeting) regulations and so on”, said Mr Gupta, who also described the Pajero as “very niche” model by global standards.

Mr Gupta indicated Mitsubishi, as with all car companies, would direct its limited investment funds on future models that compete in more popular segments of the car market.
“We don’t see a great opportunity (to invest in a vehicle such as a Pajero replacement) as compared to the other opportunities we have,” he said.
When asked if it was possible that, if there were to be a next generation Pajero would it return to a heavy duty body-on-frame design, Mr Gupta said: “It’s too early to say. First of all you have to see the new Mitsubishi SUV on our C and D platform. You will see.”
The car industry uses A, B, C, D and E to describe vehicle sizes. For example, A and B segment cars are usually small hatchbacks, C segment vehicles are mid-size cars and SUVs, D segment refers to large cars and SUVs and E segment refers to limousine vehicles such as the BMW 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
Mitsubishi and Nissan are currently working on a jointly developed platform that can stretch and contract to cover both C and D segment vehicles.
It is thought the D segment SUV that Mr Gupta is referring to could be a jointly developed seven-seat soft-roader to slot in above the current Mitsubishi Outlander – and may even be a twin under the skin to the next generation Nissan Pathfinder.
“On the C and D platform we can have a C segment SUV, we can have a D segment SUV and we can have any other SUV,” said Mr Gupta.
Mr Gupta and his Mitsubishi colleagues would not be drawn further on the discussion about a full-size four-wheel-drive wagon to replace the Mitsubishi Pajero when it eventually reaches the end of the line – or the possibility of a larger version of the Outlander shared with the next Nissan Pathfinder.

The recent alliance between Mitsubishi and Nissan was originally thought to have extended a lifeline to both the next generation Pajero and Patrol, given that both vehicles have struggled with high investment costs and relatively low sales. Jointly developing both vehicles could provide the economy of scale needed to make them financially viable.
However, current indications are that once the Mitsubishi Pajero and Nissan Patrol reach the end of their planned production cycles some time next decade, there might not be a replacement for either, handing the market almost exclusively to the Toyota LandCruiser.
Although an updated Nissan Patrol is just around the corner, the future of the next generation Nissan Patrol will be determined by the forecast in demand in the US and the Middle East, where it is sold as a petrol-only model." https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...2cyP46mv8JwZaY
Old 06-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mitsi Pajero to be Phased Out 2-3 years.

Several years too late.
If you want to spend new car money but want a car that feels used, buy a Paj. I’m surprised they may not be replacing it with a new version.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Doesn't the Pajero Sport basically do the same job anyway? Both 7 seat off roaders. If anything the Sport is probably more rugged.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Doesn't the Pajero Sport basically do the same job anyway? Both 7 seat off roaders. If anything the Sport is probably more rugged.
That's what I assumed to be the natural replacement.

Certainly not a 'Soft Roader' - that's the Outlander.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Essentially is, but I would compare the Paj Sport to the Fortuner while the regular Paj is more like a Prado.
You could argue that you don’t really need two large 4x4s in your line up, and you would be right I believe
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 04:47 AM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be a bit of a shame to see it go. Never been an owner, but a hired Paj out of Exmouth for a fishing trip was pretty decent.

Slightly off topic: the 70 series still exists, thankfully, and I've discovered a bit about the versions you can get overseas. Here in Oz it's one motor, the 4.5L V8 with those expensive injectors - but did you know you can get a 76 with the old, reliable bulletproof 1HZ inline 6 diesel? This one, the HZJ76, doesn't have the mismatching front and rear track either:

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/model...J76-RKMRS.html

Wish they sold that here. The one in the pic also has the split front bench, which I don't think we get either. Rear inward facing passenger seats make it a 7 seater. Boo to ADRs and emissions legislation.

You can also get 70 series with the (again bulletproof) 4.0 V6 petrol. And some African wagons get the splashes of coloured tape down the sides, like my old Cruiser used to have...
Old 08-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Essentially is, but I would compare the Paj Sport to the Fortuner while the regular Paj is more like a Prado.
You could argue that you don’t really need two large 4x4s in your line up, and you would be right I believe
Well they really don't need the Pajero. I'd be surprised if they sold any more than 50 a month.

The Pajero Sport sells in reasonable numbers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

Wish they sold that here. The one in the pic also has the split front bench, which I don't think we get either.
When I Last bought a New Ute (37 Months ago). It was Impossible to Buy a 3 seat single cab, & I tried My damndest to do so. Even the Poverty pack Hilux has Bucket seats.
The only 3 seat single cabs i could Find were things like the; Ford Transit Cab Chassis, Iveco Daily, VW transporter. ect..

Last edited by hayseed; 08-04-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well they really don't need the Pajero. I'd be surprised if they sold any more than 50 a month.

The Pajero Sport sells in reasonable numbers.
We would have got the normal Pajero if the 3rd row folded in a decent way.

The Pajero is like the Padro vs Fortuna, Padro and Pajero have much more shoulder room.

I like both (we currently have them), the Prado feels more solid and is much bigger inside but as I used our money we bought the Pajero Sport as it does everything we need. When the kids are older/bigger then I can see the Prado being the better buy.

even though its just an update the new Patrol looks pretty shmick.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #10
Lugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Slightly off topic: the 70 series still exists, thankfully, and I've discovered a bit about the versions you can get overseas. Here in Oz it's one motor, the 4.5L V8 with those expensive injectors - but did you know you can get a 76 with the old, reliable bulletproof 1HZ inline 6 diesel? This one, the HZJ76, doesn't have the mismatching front and rear track either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
Average age is 54 years based on reports... I hope that drops with model 3 being a more affordable option...
We can't get the motor here because emissions, but the mines do use them because they're never registered and don't have to meet ADRs. I'm told the 1HZ in them is updated and runs common rail injection - so it might have the crap injectors after all.

I'd like to know more about the diff housing with the matching track though.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Pajero Sport, originally called the Challenger in our market with the first gen built on the Pajero chassis, is now just a Triton wagon in reality and uses the same chassis as Triton since the second gen.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #12
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sensible thing to do would be to develop a new platform with Nissan and build a new Patrol / Pajero off that in the future.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
When I Last bought a New Ute (37 Months ago). It was Impossible to Buy a 3 seat single cab, & I tried My damndest to do so. Even the Poverty pack Hilux has Bucket seats.
The only 3 seat single cabs i could Find were things like the; Ford Transit Cab Chassis, Iveco Daily, VW transporter. ect..
Heaven forbid today's cars actually have some front seat practicality.

You might be pleased to learn the new Defenders have a pretty decent 3 seat front, perhaps they will make a ute of it at some stage.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #14
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Pajero Sport, originally called the Challenger in our market with the first gen built on the Pajero chassis, is now just a Triton wagon in reality and uses the same chassis as Triton since the second gen.
Shared chassis but I believe Paj Sport has some differences like a coil sprung rear end, 8 speed auto vs 6 in the Triton etc.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love my NX Pajero.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
We can't get the motor here because emissions, but the mines do use them because they're never registered and don't have to meet ADRs. I'm told the 1HZ in them is updated and runs common rail injection - so it might have the crap injectors after all.

I'd like to know more about the diff housing with the matching track though.
Front diff would be narrower, not the rear being wider.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 11:57 PM   #17
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a shame that the most reliable and versatile 4WD sold here goes out like this. Farewell faithful servant.

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #18
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Front diff would be narrower, not the rear being wider.
I think this is the case, scroll through to the 4th pic at this link from before and you get a pretty good look at it.

Nice & narrower Cruiser, won't get scratched half as much as the wide behemoths on the bush tracks.

Does anyone know if you can import them near-new from Japan?
Old 10-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #19
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyway, this is a Pajero thread, have some Paris to Dakar, 3.8V6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoPfo1Idewo

Those SWBs look hawt.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #20
MercuryT
Banned

I love the Cruisers and Patrols for those who need them.

Pajero's just........Yeah. Nah.

Don't hate on me but even EVO Lancers (I'm sure great) do nothing for me at all.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post