Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2023, 01:54 PM   #1
Lovemyfalcon
Starter Motor

Default Has everyone fitted an external trans cooler on their FG?

If you haven't, have you been lucky enough to avoid the dreaded milkshake? If so, how many kms have you done?

If you have installed an external trans cooler have you had any issues because of it?
Lovemyfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Has everyone fitted an external trans cooler on their FG?

I've never had an issue with the std heat exchanger (touch wood) I change it out after 80,000kms (service the trans and coolant at the same time)
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2023, 09:35 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old BF11 Gas did 300K before being t boned no oil cooler never missed a beat.
Current FG11 Gas 240K as above,

If someone felt enthusiastic enough it would be interesting to do a questionre on this, does gas motor have anything to do with it? I cannot work out how?
Old 26-07-2023, 12:02 AM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

No - I've had gas and petrol cars do it.

ALL 5/6 speed coolers are external...I assume you mean an air cooler not using water to avoid the milkshake. The old 4 speed internal radiator coolers failed as well though.

I've had them last from 5000kms to 500000kms.
I wouldnt recommend letting them get that high kms but I was waiting for the box to die and it just didnt...

There seems to be no genuine ones left anymore...just ebay cheap ones so I suggest you replace it more often until we find out if they are any good.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Has everyone fitted an external trans cooler on their FG?

We have fitted the PWR 280 x 255 x 19mm trans cooler with 3/8” barb connectors to 4 of our ZF cars with no issues at all. FG G6ET, FG GTE 335, BF2 Ghia, SY AWD turbo territory. 2 of them have trans temp gauges fitted and they sit around 55 degrees C or less when cruising, and the GTE has maxed at 80 degrees going slow in summer. (Normal max temp for them with stock water cooler would be same as engine operating temp with is in the 90 degrees range. Heat is the biggest killer of auto boxes, so the “cooler” (relative term - 55 degrees is still hot and would burn your skin) you can run them, the longer they last.

You will need the PWR cooler at around $180, 3m of 3/8 trans cooler hose ($30 - $50) and ZF specific barb or AN to barb fittings (Aeroflow do some) around $80 for 2.

You can then remove the lines from the stock block mounted cooler on the barras, and join the hoses with a section of suitable hose (13mm I think). We left the block mounted cooler on the territory and just cut the plastic line to it - will fit some 13mm hose to the cut ends at some stage just to make it look neat.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 26-07-2023 at 12:26 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #6
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

I fitted one a few years ago, would never know the difference if no one told you. Runs and changes the same (sometimes I think I notice the changes more when cold, but could be me)

I feel a little better , whether rightly or wrong, that the dreaded milkshake can't happen now.
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2023, 03:24 PM   #7
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

I had a pwr heat exchanger on my fg turbo when i got it.
I fitted a pwr air to oil cooler on my 6 speed auto bf and it took longer to get up to temp and the shifts were harsher when cold,just my experience,plenty say they noticed no difference.
I actually had a genuine heat exchanger to fit to my turbo before i even got the car but never needed it,even though the pwr heat exchanger still runs coolant through it,seems to also take longer than factory setup to get the trans temp up causing more noticeable shifts,perfect when warm.
If the factory cooler lines and fittings came with my car i would have removed the pwr heat exchanger and went back to factory spec.
Tbh id recommend replacing the factory heat exchanger if available or something similar.
Totally just my personal experience,not agreeing or disagreeing with anybody.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2023, 01:26 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If I remember correctly, the original issue with fitting a cooler wasn’t gearbox heat but to
prevent coolant leaking into the oil and causing the awful sludge that can destroy a gearbox.

Not sure if this was cured on F series Falcons but was a failing on E and B series…4-speed.
Probably a good move on the 5R gearbox…..

sorry to repeat, just read Jastel’s post above….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2023, 01:48 PM   #9
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had one fitted with new transmission being done on SY.

Got to 330,000 with never a problem with original one, included towing and multiple trips over Oz.
Old 29-07-2023, 02:19 PM   #10
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope,
195,000 km

I'm off the opinion that on the internet, You only hear about the handful of failures, not the 30,000 without a problem.

Very few people start posts, with "hey, just thought I'd let you all know, that everything is boringly normal"
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Nope,
195,000 km

I'm off the opinion that on the internet, You only hear about the handful of failures, not the 30,000 without a problem.

Very few people start posts, with "hey, just thought I'd let you all know, that everything is boringly normal"
It's never a problem until it happens. It's not worth the risk. It's been a well known failure point for a very long time. BA Falcons failed, and so too did the BFs once they went the heat exhcnager route.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #12
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was this ever an issue with the 5speef nag1 or just the zf6?

I'm at 210,000 and had a tranny service about a 2yrs back, no issues were raised.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 11:24 AM   #13
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Was this ever an issue with the 5speef nag1 or just the zf6?

I'm at 210,000 and had a tranny service about a 2yrs back, no issues were raised.

it all comes down to the heat exchanger.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 09:35 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Like Mad said its the Heat Exchanger that fails, then oil and water get mixed up and you are up for $$ for a 5 speed or $$$$ for a 6 speed.

Your car is pretty old if it is original...I would change it.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 09:57 PM   #15
yanknbank
Very regular

Changed out the OEM cooler around 7 to 8 years ago at around 180,000kms. Didn’t want to run the risk of a big repair bill (or replacement) for the ZF.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:08 AM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the kit in a box at home, was planning to put it on my daughter's FG XR6 over xmas, at the same time we replace the coolant/hoses on it.

Best mate milk-shaked his FG early on under warranty.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2023, 09:58 AM   #17
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

there was a short period (can't remember exactly when) when the cost reduction guys got the to cooler The result was erosion of the inner plates causing oil and water to mix as previously stated. Early ones are fine and late ones are fine, but I have no idea of the break point. I'd probably replace as a matter of course.

No real need to go to an air/oil cooler as the performance of the water/oil cooler is fine, but some people think differently

the reputation carried on to PX Ranger that had a similar oil/water cooler but a new design from a new supplier. AFAIK no Ranger ever had this issue
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #18
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh mines a 2009 5spd, 210,000. Thinking what else to work on next, I know there is a tiny oil leak on the timing chain cover for the past 10yrs , but does not lose oil between services.

This week just replaced the lower and upper control arms, radius arms, wheel bearings and stabiliser bushings - shocks absorbers last year, so handles like new again.

Think I'll keep it until EOL.

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post