Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #211
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Ok, what is wrong with people! Hording toilet paper...

Been staying on my block of land offgrid last 4 days, rolled into Wang Monday morning and saw on a newspaper headline," Victorians urged to buy 2 week worth of food"
I thought to myself this doesn't sound good. So checked out Coles, Aldi's and Woolworths where everyone is in a panic. probably all locked up at home, self isolated by now.
Fast forward to today and all of the stores have already restocked over night and trading to normal shoppers. Hopefully these mad panic buyers have locked themselves in for 2-3 weeks and don't realise stuffs available.
It helps with the states major logic centre being at Barnawatha just up the road.
local butchers and greengrocers have been trading with plenty of stock over the whole time I've been told.
Oh well time to start picking at the quarry and get started on the next big job.

Last edited by roKWiz; 17-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #212
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Fast forward to today and all of the stores have already restocked over night and trading to normal shoppers. Hopefully these mad panic buyers have locked themselves in for 2-3 weeks and don't realise stuffs available.
It helps with the states major logic centre being at Barnawatha just up the road.
local butchers and greengrocers have been trading with plenty of stock over the whole time I've been told.
Oh well time to start picking at the quarry and get started on the next big job.
The wife went to Aldi at 9am this morning and there was pretty much nothing.
No meat, no fresh produce, limited dairy, limited standard shelf food, no medication, toilet paper, tissues etc

On the community Facebook page someone was saying he sees he same people everyday with a trolley full of food. The idiots ruin it for normal people who want a few extra things to get by
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #213
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
The wife went to Aldi at 9am this morning and there was pretty much nothing.
No meat, no fresh produce, limited dairy, limited standard shelf food, no medication, toilet paper, tissues etc

On the community Facebook page someone was saying he sees he same people everyday with a trolley full of food. The idiots ruin it for normal people who want a few extra things to get by
My region made it on the radio tonight - our shops have all been stripped by people coming up from Melbourne the cheeky bastards.

Even regional towns 200km out of Melbourne have been stripped.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #214
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So what is the racket? Are people actually succeeding in unloading stock on the grey market?

Or is it a an exponential development of the daigou situation, and all our everyday stuff is heading overseas in consolidated freight?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #215
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
My region made it on the radio tonight - our shops have all been stripped by people coming up from Melbourne the cheeky bastards.

Even regional towns 200km out of Melbourne have been stripped.
https://amp.theage.com.au/national/v...mpression=true

Look Mum! We've made the news!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #216
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
.... saw on a newspaper headline," Victorians urged to buy 2 week worth of food" ......
and this is the exact reason people are running round like idiots!The media has ALOT to answer for with the propaganda thats been spun.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #217
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I visited an Aldi this evening, got what I wanted (fresh apple juice) but have not prior, seen a supermarket so bare here in my life. They might as well have played the old Soviet National Anthem over the loudspeakers.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #218
MercuryT
Banned

Bogans at their very best.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #219
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It just makes no sense in this day and age with not only food delivery everywhere, but even supermarkets deliver. The rush should have been on junk Chinese electronics, not locally sourced toilet paper and food.
Italy being hit bad sucks because a lot of food products come from there so I understand a little bit of it. But not eggs, fresh meat or dairy etc. It's not a local supply issue at all for those products and many other things made locally (even if they may not be as good or cost a little more). Typical FYGM behaviour of people that think hoarding makes them safe.

Forget gold, put all your money in frozen meat pies and pizza LOL
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #220
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
It just makes no sense in this day and age with not only food delivery everywhere, but even supermarkets deliver. The rush should have been on junk Chinese electronics, not locally sourced toilet paper and food.
Italy being hit bad sucks because a lot of food products come from there so I understand a little bit of it. But not eggs, fresh meat or dairy etc. It's not a local supply issue at all for those products and many other things made locally (even if they may not be as good or cost a little more). Typical FYGM behaviour of people that think hoarding makes them safe.

Forget gold, put all your money in frozen meat pies and pizza LOL
It doesn't really make sense. Australia produces a lot more food then we need. But the panic has shown the supply chain cannot keep up (which makes sense).

But this week has seriously cleaned out the supermarkets.
Old 17-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #221
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
It doesn't really make sense. Australia produces a lot more food then we need. But the panic has shown the supply chain cannot keep up (which makes sense).

But this week has seriously cleaned out the supermarkets.
Supply can keep up. It's the stocking of the shelves that is struggling. Some shops are purposely not filling shelves on certain things too. You have to ask and they'll get it for you just to clamp down on the rationing.
Old 17-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #222
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Supply can keep up. It's the stocking of the shelves that is struggling. Some shops are purposely not filling shelves on certain things too. You have to ask and they'll get it for you just to clamp down on the rationing.
you friends with local Foodland store?
Old 17-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #223
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
...yeah it's why I can't bloody buy milk
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2020, 12:03 AM   #224
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Restaurants will be next to close, for many it will be permanent, they won’t survive not trading.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-03-2020, 12:08 AM   #225
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Fresh fruit and veg they're keeping out the back? I've seen the lines of people for rationing items. But the stuff that was normally full if you went in early...or even the middle of the day is now low or gone.

Also before it went overboard woolies was already struggling. Aldi have announced they can't keep up and are shortening their open time.
Old 18-03-2020, 12:20 AM   #226
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Fresh fruit and veg they're keeping out the back? I've seen the lines of people for rationing items. But the stuff that was normally full if you went in early...or even the middle of the day is now low or gone.

Also before it went overboard woolies was already struggling. Aldi have announced they can't keep up and are shortening their open time.
Aldi claim the reduced hours are to allow them more time to restock the shelves and give the workers more of a break. when talking of supply, i don't believe there is a supply shortage on all the items that are selling out. Its just the logistics involved in getting them to the shops and the shops getting them on the shelves. you can only run so many trucks a day.

so while shops are selling out, supply can cope. If people weren't retarded, the shelves would stay stocked.
Old 18-03-2020, 01:33 AM   #227
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How bad are things in Vic? I've never seen a shortage of fresh veg in WA, it's just no pasta, baked beans, TP etc. I stick to the same old single persons diet of basically that, so it's annoying for me but I have no lack of fresh stuff. Usually it was beans on toast, sardines and pasta, rice and veg stirfry, or a salad sandwich and so on, forever; with the occasional meat product in a pita wrap or meat pie and chips if on sale.

I mean right now zucchinni is plentiful and at it's normal cheap seasonal price, so if I had no food I'd buy some of them. Capsicum and tomatoes are normal price, brocolli or whatever is available easily here too as hoarders aren't cookers of anything except fresh meat or eggs it seems. They aren't raiding nuts heavily either. Hoarders seem dumb

Might not find pasta but try cous cous or bulghur wheat. Might need to go to an ethnic store or weigh and pay type shop. Get some dried black beans and other types of beans and rice while you're there. E: Maybe there's some type of these shops in weekend markets that only open on the weekend? Go there early next weekend for dry staples.

Grill veg (grilled zucc is nice, used to do it all the time on the weber q with spices like paprika). make cous cous with lemon juice and garlic, add sunflower seeds and/or cashews, olive oil, and mint, basil or coriander. These days it's probably better to buy a whole herb plant from a nursery or bunnings even if you need a little bit, rather than rely on supermarkets - even if in stock who would want to deal with the queues?
Woolworths home brand tinned beetroot is the most like real beetroot (other brands are mild, ww hb tastes earthy like the real cooked stuff). That and some liquid smoke added to the can is great. (I used that plus the lettuce, tomato, pickle, white onion for my own veg whopper sandwich) A vintage cheese is great if you go that way adds umami and texture/faux meatiness. Black beans cooked and mashed with grated onions and quick cooked oats is another burger meat subsitute - use liquid smoke or smoked paprika)

Last edited by oldel; 18-03-2020 at 01:50 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 02:21 AM   #228
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I warned the wife 3 days ago to stock up on dry tin foods, because things would go crazy when the first case hit our city. Well reports came thru yesterday 1st case in Mackay hospital, and hours later meat rice pasta, basically half the friggin stores empty now. And I don't expect it to change for weeks
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2020, 03:17 AM   #229
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, it will be fine when the hoarders get bored. Shame the shops didn't limit the hoarder early enough, even now they're cheating because they think they're smart.
I stick to the same old canned or dry goods every week so just by chance I've got 3x baked beans, 4x sardines, 2 pck pasta, 5pck 2min choice brand migoreng, 1 bag of rice and 3 rolls TP.
I feel upper middle class like I invested well and hit the bonanza! Last week I lived on a can of la costa refried pinto beans* I bought months ago for half price - didn't want to dig into my high value stock - they're tradeable commodities

It should settle down, basic supply isn't limited. San remo pasta is made in australia for example, most sunrice rice, ardmona tomatos and other spc lines like their baked beans. And of course the fresh meat comes locally, also eggs, milk and cheese!

Hardest hit will be the pasta and tomatoes from italy, canned fish, imported plain canned beans, frozen veg etc.

*E: they're OK, think of them like the veg version of spam. Not nice to look at, salty, has pork/lard. Mix it with some rice and make salad wraps with pita bread, or go the whole hog with a cornmeal burrito with chipotle in adobo.

Last edited by oldel; 18-03-2020 at 03:34 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 05:08 AM   #230
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Hoarders seem dumb
This strange aspect to the buying (overlooking whole categories and then coming back to snap it all up) is what makes me suspicious there is a playbook, or they’re buying for shipping overseas. It’s like some group has made a purchasing list and it’s updated on the fly.
Old 18-03-2020, 06:04 AM   #231
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moi View Post
...suspicious there is a playbook...
I guess it’s articles like this “feeding” the purchasing frenzy as they get shared, quoted and augmented on social media:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....ess/index.html

New chest freezers are apparently selling well in Tasmania, heard this quite directly (ex husband of a friend sold twenty in Launceston last weekend).
Old 18-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #232
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Thankyou, come again...

Last edited by marty351; 28-06-2020 at 10:06 AM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #233
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
I warned the wife 3 days ago to stock up on dry tin foods,
This is part of the problem, not a solution. This mentality is what is causing it.

If everybody just shopped normally there would be plenty of stock to go around. If you need to self isolate I'm sure most people have friends or family that can shop for them.
Old 18-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #234
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The spine of the hoarding issue seems that people have no clue on how much quantity of food they actually get through.

For example, 500g (dry) pasta cooked and served with accompanying dishes (Mediterranean salads/antipasto for example) will feed two people for two main meals easily! A nectarine or similar each for dessert and you’re done.

Or Weet-Bix... 72 biscuits in a box, that’s 36 breakfast serves, using 9 litres of milk. 2.5 weeks of brekky for two people, at 3.5 litres of milk per week. Nobody is using their brain to crunch (pun intended) the numbers.
Old 18-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #235
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Herd friggin mentality spurred on by a media frenzy - why is it that people have to line up and now shop every day of the week - how much money is being spent - it will pass, but at what cost.

PPS I survived the madness - but what do I do with the ten freezers of food and two hundred and fifty rolls of toilet paper stashed away.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #236
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So what is the racket? Are people actually succeeding in unloading stock on the grey market?
Reports in the northern suburbs of Adelaide yesterday of a roadside seller, selling toilet paper.

This **** is getting more real every day.

Many people are complaining about others/hoarders etc but I guess some of these people are feeling scared and or unsure.

For some, they would be worried about how they will survive if their jobs are on the line. It is a scary time for many.

I think it is easy to get caught up the pointing finger blame game as we are all under pressures probably never seen by any of us in our lifetimes, each day it seems the game plan is changing.

With that for many people finding common sense and logic are left behind in the sheer speed of these changes and in they seem to be happening faster than many people can adjust to these changes.

I see some people are also wrongly accused as hoarders, for example, we always buy in bulk dry goods and we always buy in large amounts and have done so for years, it is just a way we make our dollar spend go further.

So often we would buy say 140 cans of tuna at one hit as an example (we use this for our pet food for the cat and dog to mix with dry food so we go through a lot) and anything else we can we usually buy in bulk and large amounts and this was well before corona hit.

Now because of the Carona crap, we do not even dare shop how we used to for being labelled a hoarder, my wife purchased some toilet paper yesterday and said she had never felt so scared of being attacked in her life, all over a bloody bit of toilet paper, it is insane in some way what is happening.

I think for now it is more about not judging others, but becoming more of a role model and a balanced person within ourselves and spreading that calmness just as much as those spreading the fear, doom and gloom, and in that common sense should prevail, but I think it may get worse before it is better.

TIP OF THE DAY: (and I say this in all reality)

For some especially those on a lower budget and or those unable to beat the harders to the toilet paper aisle and for the rest of us that run out of toilet paper, here is a workable solution.

Most of us will be able to find tissues, baby wipes or similar, or if not we still have to the newspaper of the day.

But these can not be flushed down the toilet. So go to the pet store and or supermarket and buy a pack/roll of doggy do bags, you can pick a pack of 50 or so, up for a few dollars. (please do not steal the bags from the dog park like a ****er)

So instead of placing the tissues or baby wipes down the toilet and hoping they will flush and then paying thousands to unblock your drain, place them into a doggy do bag and tie it up when completed and simply take it out and place it into your normal trash and you done till next time.

Stay strong to all.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #237
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Or Weet-Bix... 72 biscuits in a box, that’s 36 breakfast serves,
when i have weet-bix i have 6, and that's normally because of the size of the bowl...

and no, i'm not a large person. Just burn a lot of calories each day.
Old 18-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #238
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I eat a can of beans (Cannellini) , 4 eggs and grain toast for breaky. My family, 2 kids and wife eat a can of beans, 3 eggs, toast and tomoatoes for breakfast. My wife makes baked beans as we dont eat processed foods. Then we have lunch and dinner which is all fresh food, a meat and 4 or so veg.

We eat a lot, I exercise 11 times a week because of my job and my family is very active. I generally buy beans in bulk, 100 cans at a time but im just doing week by week now. So just for a week we eat 14 cans of beans, man i was copping abuse from everywhere for what i had in my trolley. There was plenty of fresh food beans and lentils in the supermarket.

All i literally had was fresh food for a week, veggies and salad, 20 cans of beans and 12 cans of lentils. I buy my meat direct from a farmer. Funny thing was i was copping abuse from all the overweight types with trollies full of processed crap in bulk, go figure.

This is bringing out the best in people
Old 18-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #239
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Reports in the northern suburbs of Adelaide yesterday of a roadside seller, selling toilet paper.

This **** is getting more real every day.
I hope the guy got belted and robbed. Morons like him are the reason why the supermarkets are running dry, trying to profiteer when people are in desperate need. How scummy can you be?

Being the northern suburbs of adelaide, fair chance he probably was robbed anyway
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #240
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
This strange aspect to the buying (overlooking whole categories and then coming back to snap it all up) is what makes me suspicious there is a playbook, or they’re buying for shipping overseas. It’s like some group has made a purchasing list and it’s updated on the fly.
I've come to the conclusion that they all share the same brain.
No tins of baked beans or spaghetti but right beside it is shelves stocked full of tinned soups, stews, tuna etc....
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: