Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #31
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Be prosecuted for illegal gas connection. Urgent help

Bottom line...not your house, not your fittings, not your responsibility. You are not licensed and should be held accountable for your actions. Just because you disagree with an abnormally high bill doesn't give you the right to take matters into your own hands without consequence. Proper channels are the appropriate action, despite you not liking them.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #32
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
And if you found out/knew that much I would expect you would also have stumbled over the legalities of DYI. I must admit I used to be lucky and a gasfitter/electrician/plumber behind me who was happy to instruct and oversee me on minor jobs (e.g the annual job of replacing the diaphragm in a C&M instantaneous gas heater) inspect the work after and give me a receipt to say he had done it. He has long since moved away so now I pay through the nose for a professional.
No, I just seen LPG thread tape at the shop and thought it would be wise to use the right stuff. If I knew what I knew now I would have just kept complaining to the real estate. Do you really think I was like yep I want to get fined up to $20,000 for doing a dodgy on a gas connection cause I love the stress and financial hardship. I just wish I had been a bit more informed to stop this getting to the mess it is now.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

C,mon guys cut him some slack, read his posts properly, in hindsight he knows.

We all make mistakes at times.

Eaturbo, inquire with your local gas ombudsman about the high gas price complaint, they will will look into it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #34
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Bottom line...not your house, not your fittings, not your responsibility. You are not licensed and should be held accountable for your actions. Just because you disagree with an abnormally high bill doesn't give you the right to take matters into your own hands without consequence. Proper channels are the appropriate action, despite you not liking them.
And its people like you who hide behind regulations and probably rip people off because you know there an easy target. When did it become ok to rip people off. I had been using the so called correct channels with no one giving a dam. I hope one day someone rips you off and you are out of money and you can experience the hardship that goes along with this. Must be nice up there in your glass house.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #35
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
C,mon guys cut him some slack, read his posts properly, in hindsight he knows.

We all make mistakes at times.

Eaturbo, inquire with your local gas ombudsman about the high gas price complaint, they will will look into it.
Thanks mate, yeah I have now been made aware of the gas ombudsman. It amazes me how people kick you when your down. I've been off work for 12 months with a serious illness and nearly gone broke. My health is still not good but I'm back to work. When your wondering how your going to put food on the table next week you'll do anything to avoid having to tell the family that there's no food because we paid the gas bill.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #36
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
And its people like you who hide behind regulations and probably rip people off because you know there an easy target. When did it become ok to rip people off. I had been using the so called correct channels with no one giving a dam. I hope one day someone rips you off and you are out of money and you can experience the hardship that goes along with this. Must be nice up there in your glass house.
Mate, don't talk nonsense, you have no idea what you're talking about. I, too am having continuous issues with AGL over extremely high electricity bills and this has been going on for 12 months. I also live in a rented house but you won't see me getting on the roof and plugging in the solar into a bunch of batteries with an Andersen plug or disconnecting the mains and doing something else equally stupid and dangerous.

PREVIOUS RIDES
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #37
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Well I hope it all works out OK. Those at the Dept are not looking for guys like you so I would be very surprised if this got much traction if you are honest with them. Good luck and looking to hear back when you have a result.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #38
Boosted8
Banned

I think it was an honest mistake on your part but at the end of the day "ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law."

I hope you don't get shafted too badly but I have a bad feeling about it all.
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #39
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Mate, don't talk nonsense, you have no idea what you're talking about. I, too am having continuous issues with AGL over extremely high electricity bills and this has been going on for 12 months. I also live in a rented house but you won't see me getting on the roof and plugging in the solar into a bunch of batteries with an Andersen plug or disconnecting the mains and doing something else equally stupid and dangerous.
Yeah sorry mate but you were a little harsh with the comments you made. Nobody should be ripped off and than ignored when they ask for help. Every Dog has his day and this real estate and gas company will have there's. There's 2200 vacant houses in Mackay and people going broke everywhere, I hope that the owners go broke when I move out into another rental in 2 months time.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #40
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

At least he is not as bad as these idiots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmHs3DLU9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9I6ZHcuFHs

Not doing it right and telling people that is the way to do it. Almost a comedy if it wasn't so dangerously wrong.

Last edited by aussiblue; 08-03-2016 at 11:28 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #41
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Yeah sorry mate but you were a little harsh with the comments you made. Nobody should be ripped off and than ignored when they ask for help. Every Dog has his day and this real estate and gas company will have there's. There's 2200 vacant houses in Mackay and people going broke everywhere, I hope that the owners go broke when I move out into another rental in 2 months time.
I'll take that as a backhanded apology. I understand it's immensely frustrating dealing with real estate agents and big business but you just have to do everything by the book. Doing what would be deemed foolish/stupid/impetuous and plain dangerous won't win favours with the agent, landlord and gas company. Seek out the Tenancy Board, Ombudsman, get a gas fitter to inspect the fittings and meter and record everything you say and do. Keep all correspondence to email so you have a record. Just persist with them you just might get a favourable resolution.

PREVIOUS RIDES
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #42
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So when you had it all hooked back up again I assume you had a chat to the gasfitter who did the job and asked if he could see a problem. Have you checked the gas HWS? If it is metered did the gas co say they would send someone out to check the meter, for a cost of course? Have you checked neighbours to ask about their arrangements and bills for comparison and costs? Are you billed directly or does the bill go to the LL or RE first and then you are on charged?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #43
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
So when you had it all hooked back up again I assume you had a chat to the gasfitter who did the job and asked if he could see a problem. Have you checked the gas HWS? If it is metered did the gas co say they would send someone out to check the meter, for a cost of course? Have you checked neighbours to ask about their arrangements and bills for comparison and costs? Are you billed directly or does the bill go to the LL or RE first and then you are on charged?
Yeah gas fitter checked everything and said its ok. Everybody agrees that the gas bill is high even the origin gas rep who come around. But nobody is accepting to do something. I think the meter is cactus and I asked 3 months ago to get it checked. Origin said they would send someone on 2 occasions to check it but nobody showed. My dodgy conversion proved that a 9kg bottle lasts 2 weeks. That would be 54kg of gas for 12 weeks or three months and not the 150kg of gas they say I've been using in 3 months. Bill comes direct to me.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #44
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
All very good questions
Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #45
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

At the end of the day I'm aware now that I made a mistake and hindsight is a wonderful thing. To those who have given constructive feedback and advice thank you, as its appreciated. I just don't need the stress and worry at the Moment but you've got to live by the sword you wielded. I just wish I had of made a different choice or even asked someone.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #46
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Understandably your emotions are running high right now. If you can, get some help with a letter of apology and get on the front foot with some humble pie.

Your rationale for you actions are in the past now - it's what you do next.

Whatever you do, regardless of the outcome, don't do anything silly when you leave your current house, as it will follow you to the next and next and next.....

Good luck
Old 09-03-2016, 12:00 AM   #47
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The risk is the authorities might see a cheap way to educate the public will be to jump on you and issue a press release about it. But I hope it all works out for you and resolved at little personal cost.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #48
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep at the gas company to test the meter. There may be a rebate available if it is incorrect.
Geez my 9kg lasts about 4 months BUT its only our stove and there are only two of us and only the Mrs at night. Some days I reckon it never gets used.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #49
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
If it were me, I would go and see the Dept and fall on my sword. Tell them like you did here, that you never knew it was an offence as you do your BBQ all the time, and the problems with the biil. They have ultimate discretion to go ahead or not and involving a lawyer just muddies the water and gets everyone off side.
I'll go with the opposite.

Say nothing.

Once you say something then you can't take it back. There is no benefit to you to spill your guts.

Quite the opposite. Create smoke and mirrors.

You did an unwise thing. There are extremely expensive penalties for that. No matter how much of a nice person that you may be, govt departments are in the business of dishing out expensive fines.

Morally, you stuffed up. Confess and take a big fine.

Really, you were getting screwed over then, and now you're going to get screwed over with an expensive fine.

Do some homework. Speak with a lawyer or two.

Are you sure that someone else didn't help you with this? After all, your friend did some stuff... you did some stuff... but the particular stuff that's illegal...heck, you can't remember which one of you did that.

If you want a clean conscience and a bleeding wallet then feel free to confess everything.

If you want to protect your wallet then say nothing. Prosecutions require evidence. No evidence means no prosecution.

Heck, if you can't afford to have a chat with a lawyer or two, then see if you can have an off-the-record with an experienced cop. He'll tell you about the many people that have been convicted in court because they said too much, when the police didn't have enough evidence to begin with.

Don't be gullible. Do not sign anything on paper.

Unless you have a written assurance that you won't get a fine, then you need to limit what you say.

Watch this in full. Several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #50
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I always like the way the self-righteous manage to come out of the woodwork and then make half-assed comments based on something else they read in the thread without actually reading or understanding what the OP said.

I think we have clarified that it was LPG to LPG so there go the 'we'll all be killed' posts in the thread. Yes, we all know it's wrong, so there goes another half of the posts and by the time we remove the arguing posts we are left with a couple (over two pages) that are actually on topic and of some use.

In response to the OP - get some legal advice before saying anything further.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #51
Makovic

Yes Russell, get that legal advice which will often be a cure that is far worse than the cause.

Once the lawyers get their teeth into you, there is no turning back - you will pay until it hurts: in many cases, lawyers end up suing their own clients.

Those bloodsucker LLBs will say anything to entice another naïve client into the web of the criminal justice system.

Thinking is the hardest work, and that's why so few people engage in it. Henry Ford
Makovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #52
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you messed up and you know you did, no point going on about what you did is wrong any further.

You need to figure out what your next move will be. I would suggest going to see a solicitor, even if you give legal aid a call.

Also remember the numbers they have given you for fines etc are the maximum what you can be slapped with. The punishment you will actually get is based on the severity of the offence.

You can also speak to EWOQ about disputing your invoices.

http://www.ewoq.com.au/
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #53
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Im sure you googled a gasfitter , got him to come out and you paid cash didnt you?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #54
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Can't do anything really without licencing. I was told many years ago you needed to be a plumber to even change the valves in your taps. I dare say you can't change a switch without being an electrician either.
Bugger.... someone I know would have racked up literally $millions in fines in that case!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #55
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Move to a country not so full of nanny state backing wowsers wanting the world wrapped in cotton wool.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #56
G6E-T

all the ******* righteous know it all on here....Old mate made an honest mistake out of desperation and I would have probably done the same.

Caught my electrcity company estimating the bill for the past 12 months. Some pussy meter reader was scared of the dog who is on the other side of a 6ft fence. Yep he probably barked, Hes a boarder collie he just wants to love you to death....I appreciate people have fears but thay doesnt mean I should be ripped off...lets face it if you a scared of dogs probably in the wrong job....All came undone when the readings on the bill got ahead of the meter and I was keeping an eye on it.

Anyway, try not to stress I too would be surprised if it gains traction. Be humble, make it right pay for a fitter and all that. Then it sounds like you should move anyway....
G6E-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #57
Pis-ton broke
Banned

you have demonstrated very well that the gas system has serious issues. we put our faith in the authorizes to get things right and that it seems that although you have complained it seems no one cares. its might be a good idea to say nothing at this point like phildo says.
if you cause a stir then then the blame game might start. and the authorities might not want the attention of that, maybe cause they have family that they are ignoring and are ripping off?
let it ride out, and see how it goes.
it sounds like one of those stories that you see on a current affair tv show.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #58
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Is there anything in Google, or other website (such as the court cases) where similar activies have occurred?

Your case wouldn't be ther first, it would be worth knowing what precedents , wriggle room or penalties await.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #59
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

How did the landlord see the alterations done, where is the 9kg bottle situated, did the landlord break the terms of your rental agreement by turning up un announced.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #60
G6E-T

also how did yhe landlord get a photo? they arent meant to just randomly turn up, particularly when your not home...is it leased through a agency?

the speculation that he was swapping bottles on you sounds good but the meter reads what is used....id be more worried about a leak or maybe just estimated readings.
G6E-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post