Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #31
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Global New Ranger Raptor reveal

Great to see they actually did it.. Perfect drivetrain for the Raptor name. I genuinely thought they would just chuck the V6 Diesel from the rest of the range into it.. Credit where credit is due... As for pricing, you would have to think mid $90k RRP which means over $100k on the road...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #32
Blue_XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
So glad Ford went all in with a engine to match the image.

Now, I hope all those who winged and bitched about the Bi-Turbo 2.0 go out and buy one.
They might complain that it does not have a 3.5T towing capacity

YouTube channel: Modaufy Garage
https://www.youtube.com/c/ModaufyGarage
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #33
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
So the new Raptor has more power and torque than my old G6ET...a fair bit more...while I thought one day possibly a Ford EV would outperform the still missed G6ET who would have thought a Ranger could possibly do so as well...and after watching all the different YouTube reviews the Ford engineering team really made an effort and seems like the accountants didn't hold back much either.
.....now imagine an Everest Raptor......
Like it or not, the Turbo 4.0L Falcon G6ET is showing its age, with 270Kw & 533 Nm, where this RAPTOR 3.0 V6T with 292kW and 583Nm, however "...GoAuto understands the engine can produce as much as 368kW and 854Nm, a significant uptick over the current Ranger Raptor’s 157kW and 500Nm offering."

BTW, the Naturally Aspirated Mustang 5.0 Coyote is 339 Kw & 556 Nm (from 2018).
https://www.goauto.com.au/future-mod...-22/87123.html
Old 23-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a shame they wont apply the Raptor treatment to the Everest. A ute is just a PITA for me, and the aftermarket canopies either look poxy or are a ripoff.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Great to see they actually did it.. Perfect drivetrain for the Raptor name. I genuinely thought they would just chuck the V6 Diesel from the rest of the range into it.. Credit where credit is due... As for pricing, you would have to think mid $90k RRP which means over $100k on the road...
Diesels are usually a fair bit more expensive than petrol engines, so hopefully that helps keep the price down.

Now please do a Raptor R with the 3.5 litre ecoboost from the F150 Raptor. Or even better, the blown Coyote from the Mustang R spec.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Just a shame they wont apply the Raptor treatment to the Everest.
Ummmm…………that’s not exactly correct sir
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2022, 04:19 PM   #37
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
So there will be something a step up from Everest Sport?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2022, 04:38 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It's been done before, they even talked about it to the motoring press. It was nicknamed Canyonero and was a one off.

The rear arches requiring flares was the only thing holding it back, as it required significant re-work.

Someone might be able to dig up the article from about 4-5 years ago, around the time of the original Raptor release.

I don't think sales projections did it any favours cause Everest was only selling about 40% of what it is now. Maybe the higher sales we are seeing today might help. Who knows. It would be a good thing.
Old 23-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There were a couple of spy shots with those new arches, the give and take that you mentioned
earlier in the thread with wider track and less to Raptor actually works in Everest’s favour…
Old 23-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #40
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Give it a rest mate, people bought the 2.0 diesel in spite of everyone complaining that it didn’t have a HP engine and that it would never sell, they were proven wrong.
the original business case for a Ranger Raptor variant was sold to Dearborn on only 5000 units. They did rather undercall that didn't they?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2022, 09:16 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
the original business case for a Ranger Raptor variant was sold to Dearborn on only 5000 units. They did rather undercall that didn't they?
A real toe in the water with asking a big price for a vehicle untried in our market,
those were the days when people thought a +$60k Wildtrak was insane money…
They needn’t have worried, Ford buyers stumped up and kept paying more and more
Old 23-02-2022, 09:18 PM   #42
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
A real toe in the water with asking a big price for a vehicle untried in our market,
those were the days when people thought a +$60k Wildtrak was insane money…
They needn’t have worried, Ford buyers stumped up and kept paying more and more

There’s definitely a market and appetite for performance vehicles in this country. I reckon slot a V8 in one and watch it really go off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2022, 09:33 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
There’s definitely a market and appetite for performance vehicles in this country. I reckon slot a V8 in one and watch it really go off
Of course and many would support a project like that but the floor collapsed when the
Americans couldn’t justify it for Bronco, CAFE and real world fuel economy were just
something they couldn’t reconcile. Without their support, a factory V8 is out of reach.

On the up side, the 3.0 V6 EB is going to reach a lot of buyers (and so would an Everest EB)
That little 3.0 will probably get tuned within an inch of its life, how much HP will we see..

On the other side, who’s gonna put twin turbos on the diesel V6 and wind the wick up…
I can’t wait to see some of the more out there people testing the limits of these engines…
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2022, 09:37 PM   #44
jgmdat

[QUOTE=Ben73;6684294]Can’t believe Ford put a powerful engine in it when people already bought the last Raptor. Isn’t that what the usual apologists should be saying?

Congratulations on being the first person who doesn't own a current Raptor to bag it on the new Raptor thread.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2022, 05:54 AM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

My son went to his local dealer yesterday and paid a deposit on one
Old 24-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #46
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

apparently the dealer allocations are pretty big, so hopefully he won't have to wait too long
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #47
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Like it or not, the Turbo 4.0L Falcon G6ET is showing its age, with 270Kw & 533 Nm, where this RAPTOR 3.0 V6T with 292kW and 583Nm."

BTW, the Naturally Aspirated Mustang 5.0 Coyote is 339 Kw & 556 Nm (from 2018).
Impressive as all the numbers are for a crew cab ute, let's not get carried away comparing it to a Coyote powered Mustang or even a turbo Falcon from a decade ago - there's a little thing called power to weight that will come into play and at an estimated 2,400 Kg, the Raptor TT V6 is going to be seriously outclassed by any of those older performance models.

Ranger Raptor TT V6 = 8.219 kg/kW (2,400 kg)
FGII XR6T = 6.311 kg/kW (1,704 kg)
Coyote Mustang = 5.315 kg/kW (1,802 kg)

.. in fact even the less powerful and heavier BF XR6T (240 kW / 1,750 Kg) is only carrying 7.291 kg/kW.

I'm not underselling the TT Raptor - it will run rings around even the best of the rest and it worthy of the name - we just need to remember that it is more of a fast Tonka truck rather than a performance vehicle and that's before we consider ride and handling into the equation.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2022, 10:48 AM   #48
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the thing about the Raptor franchise is that is not really about pure performance. It's more that the performance can be used anywhere.

don't undersell what those shocks can do. off road they are amazeballs, but even on sealed roads they just transform the car

don't get me wrong - power is always good, but that's what the detractors of the 2.0 always missed. It's the entire package together that makes a Raptor not just the engine.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What a beast!

Sign me up for the 4x2 povvo pack with drum brakes, alloy tray, 5sp manual, 16" Chinese all terrain tyres and the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost with 292KW/583NM.

Everyone on AFF is invited to my wake
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Of course and many would support a project like that but the floor collapsed when the
Americans couldn’t justify it for Bronco, CAFE and real world fuel economy were just
something they couldn’t reconcile. Without their support, a factory V8 is out of reach.

On the up side, the 3.0 V6 EB is going to reach a lot of buyers (and so would an Everest EB)
That little 3.0 will probably get tuned within an inch of its life, how much HP will we see..

On the other side, who’s gonna put twin turbos on the diesel V6 and wind the wick up…
I can’t wait to see some of the more out there people testing the limits of these engines…
Herrod have already alluded to a power upgrade here.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/a-faster...ptor-is-coming
Old 24-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #51
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Diesels are usually a fair bit more expensive than petrol engines, so hopefully that helps keep the price down.
Fingers crossed your on the money (so to speak). Can you imagine if it where priced within a few $k of the PX Raptor?? The line will be out the door, round the corner and into the next suburb...

Either way will be out of my grasp (ive budgeted $70k max for my V6 Diesel Sport).

Wouldn't you hate to be in the board room at Toyota/Izuzu/etc right now?? The market leader has already announced a huge step up with the new Ranger, and now there is a genuine performance version in the new Raptor which noone else comes close to being able to compete against...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Fingers crossed your on the money (so to speak). Can you imagine if it where priced within a few $k of the PX Raptor?? The line will be out the door, round the corner and into the next suburb...

Either way will be out of my grasp (ive budgeted $70k max for my V6 Diesel Sport).

Wouldn't you hate to be in the board room at Toyota/Izuzu/etc right now?? The market leader has already announced a huge step up with the new Ranger, and now there is a genuine performance version in the new Raptor which noone else comes close to being able to compete against...
Inflation is going mental around the globe, so price rises are inevitable. All manufacturers are feeling it. But hopefully they keep the price competitive.
Old 24-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #53
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Impressive as all the numbers are for a crew cab ute, let's not get carried away comparing it to a Coyote powered Mustang or even a turbo Falcon from a decade ago - there's a little thing called power to weight that will come into play and at an estimated 2,400 Kg, the Raptor TT V6 is going to be seriously outclassed by any of those older performance models.

Ranger Raptor TT V6 = 8.219 kg/kW (2,400 kg)
FGII XR6T = 6.311 kg/kW (1,704 kg)
Coyote Mustang = 5.315 kg/kW (1,802 kg)

.. in fact even the less powerful and heavier BF XR6T (240 kW / 1,750 Kg) is only carrying 7.291 kg/kW.

I'm not underselling the TT Raptor - it will run rings around even the best of the rest and it worthy of the name - we just need to remember that it is more of a fast Tonka truck rather than a performance vehicle and that's before we consider ride and handling into the equation.
And fuel consumption to go with that power to weight ratio.
With 91 unleaded hitting $2/lt could there be a worse time to offer a 2.4t brick with a ttv6.
Great truck mind you, about time Ford locked the bean counters out of the boardroom.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #54
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
And fuel consumption to go with that power to weight ratio.
With 91 unleaded hitting $2/lt could there be a worse time to offer a 2.4t brick with a ttv6.
Great truck mind you, about time Ford locked the bean counters out of the boardroom.

I would say last thing on a buyers mind would be fuel economy otherwise they’re buying the wrong vehicle

pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 03:59 PM   #55
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
I would say last thing on a buyers mind would be fuel economy otherwise they’re buying the wrong vehicle

correct.
Most will be ABN - business/fleet/salary sacrifice puchase's.
Private buyers will be low % most likely.

Does a LC/Patrol/Ram/V8's/MB AMG/BM M large SUV etc owners really worry about fuel cost ?
yes ? but mostly no.
Raptor V6TT owners will smile as well by the way
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
correct.
Most will be ABN - business/fleet/salary sacrifice puchase's.
Private buyers will be low % most likely.

Does a LC/Patrol/Ram/V8's/MB AMG/BM M large SUV etc owners really worry about fuel cost ?
yes ? but mostly no.
Raptor V6TT owners will smile as well by the way
Correct, the 3.0 litre bit will help when cruising on light throttle, a bit like large capacity V8s with cylinder deactivation. Depends how people drive them, we know turbos are seductively addictive.

V6 diesel for a Raptor ST? might be an option if things get weird with fuel prices…
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #57
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What a beast!

Sign me up for the 4x2 povvo pack with drum brakes, alloy tray, 5sp manual, 16" Chinese all terrain tyres and the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost with 292KW/583NM.

Everyone on AFF is invited to my wake
Sounds like you would have enjoyed our work Hilux, 4.0L petty V6, 4x2 povo, alloy tray, nick names "the bullet"
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Correct, the 3.0 litre bit will help when cruising on light throttle, a bit like large capacity V8s with cylinder deactivation. Depends how people drive them, we know turbos are seductively addictive.

V6 diesel for a Raptor ST? might be an option if things get weird with fuel prices…
Thats my point, what good is it having a twin turbo v6 performance truck if youve got to baby it to get under 15l/100 considering the biturbo 2.0l returns 10s in diesel form.
Will this engine require 98ron?
Old 24-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #59
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Thats my point, what good is it having a twin turbo v6 performance truck if youve got to baby it to get under 15l/100 considering the biturbo 2.0l returns 10s in diesel form.
Will this engine require 98ron?
The quoted outputs were achieved using 98.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2022, 07:25 PM   #60
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The quoted outputs were achieved using 98.
@ $2.25cpl and the war hasn't even kicked off really yet.