Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Default Woman strangled by her hijab on a go-kart

A woman has been strangled to death by her hijab as it got tangled up by the axle... I'm not even going to comment on the absurdity of this.

http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/family-...0408-rvci.html

Old 09-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
StrokedXT
Banned

The owners will probably get massive fines and be held liable, but if they had asked her to remove it for safety reasons or not let her n the kart they would have had everyone saying they are discriminating.

Its a tragic accident and workcover and the cops will want to blame someone and it will be the operators.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd say they (age) are just trying to get 'points' against the muslim community.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Any loose clothing on a go-kart or motor bike is asking for trouble, no matter how many guards you fit.

But I agree, the owner of the venue will be held liable, even though they did nothing wrong, it's beyond messed up.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Poor lady she should not have been let on with dangly loose clothing.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Tragic. You'd hope that a woman wearing a hijab would have some common sense, though. I mean really, a long scarf on a go-kart or motorbike is asking for trouble. It's like when you approach the paper shredder at work wearing a tie... you make DAMN sure it's out of the way before you shove the paper in. Common sense.

But as you might expect, the owners will get taken to the cleaners - right or wrong.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
MAV50L
Banned

The way this country is now if they didnt let her on they would have been prosecuted for descrimination.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The kart track owner will get sued and possibly loose...
Worksafe will investigate and fine them, then the insurance companies will take their swipe and premiums for kart tracks and other motorsport facilities will get altered with clauses preventing any form of clothing other than a "stig" suit...
Track hire costs will go up.. insurance costs will go up, people will loose interest then the track will close.
12 months later there will be riots outside a Bob Jane T Mart (everything is his fault right?) about lack of motorsport facilities...

Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The kart track owner will get sued and possibly loose...
Worksafe will investigate and fine them, then the insurance companies will take their swipe and premiums for kart tracks and other motorsport facilities will get altered with clauses preventing any form of clothing other than a "stig" suit...
Track hire costs will go up..

totally agree.....
track hire prices will soar now..... as if they weren't high enough already..
it's an unfortunate thing to happen.. but irrespective of religion you should not be able to wear loose clothing on the karts...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Scott

That's terrible - what an awful thing to happen to a young family on holidays. No comments from me on the "who/how/why", just a tragedy.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

And all because of political correctness...

I mourn the death of Mr Common Sense every day :(
Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Boosh Brus

Poor women. My heart goes out to the family.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In reading the article I never realised go karts had to be registered.

Its an unfortunate accident - unfortunately I think work cover will be looking at blaming someone for the accident and as such the go kart track operator will be in there sights.

I feel for the family involved as nothing will replace there loss.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
sleek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf

+1 to this.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD54L
Poor lady she should not have been let on with dangly loose clothing.
Can you imagine if they asked her to remove it or said she couldnt use the karts.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Can one of our Muslim members please explain - the hijab is there to cover the face? if so - would the helmet being worn also fullfil this purpose? Sad case as a young girl has died.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
Boosh Brus

Hijab should cover everything apart from the face. Yes the helmet would probably fulfill this though the neck could be an issue. Would make sense just to tuck it into her shirt but I don't think anyone expected this. Just an unfortunate accident.

Last edited by Boosh Brus; 09-04-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf

+2 for this..

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
stang65
FPRJET

I think in this issue the operator would escape prosecution as the rights of the individual to retain their hijab due to religous beliefs would be sufficient grounds.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
I think in this issue the operator would escape prosecution as the rights of the individual to retain their hijab due to religous beliefs would be sufficient grounds.
One would hope so
Old 09-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
OH+S and the law over ride Religious beliefs....

Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #22
MAD
Petro-sexual

An unfortunate accident and bought upon most likely by the owner not wanting to cause a stir by denying her access to the gokarts because of her religious belief.

If the operator gets sued and loses, banks/servos/milkbars/etc should ban anyone with a fully covered face from entering the shop. It's required of motorcyclists.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh Brus
Hijab should cover everything apart from the face. Yes the helmet would probably fulfill this though the neck could be an issue. Would make sense just to tuck it into her shirt but I don't think anyone expected this. Just an unfortunate accident.
What about a balaclava and helmet on top? When we went go karting we got given balaclavas to put on underneath our helmets, would have looked quite odd to a passerby seeing 10 guys all masked up looking sus haha.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
OH+S and the law over ride Religious beliefs....
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Although I imagine there would be lawyers frothing at the mouth to take the case on, if it goes that way.

At the end of the day it's a horrible accident and someone lost their life. I think after such a tragic event there should be moves to put down legislation that outlines when and how things like this should be handled so safety always comes first... the owner of the track would have obviously thought he/she was doing the right thing in the eyes of anti-discrimination.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #25
HTCURRY

Im muslim and went Go-Karting here in Canberra a couple of years back...and we had some female friends with us, who wore the burqa.

The manager was adamant that they wouldnt be allowed on the track unless they took it off...n that it was for their/our good.

No fuss....2 of the girls took the burqa off so they could join in the fun...and the 3rd wasnt willing to, so sat around and moped, while we had a ton of fun.

No one raised a stink...simply a case of safety...and the manager explaining the potential for mishap.

This really is a case of bad luck for all concerned. Im hoping the family will show some common sense in their grief, and not go after the owners....because in the courts they might get their day...but to me it would give the tabloids yet another stick to beat muslims with.

Just need lawyers to stay away from the family, and the authorities to use some common sense and maybe give the establishment a warning, put them on probation or something...and leave it at that.

If i am muslim, wear a burqa and purchase a bike, motor/push, and then strangle myself can i sue Yamaha or Schwinn bikes? im guessing no.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #26
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

HTCURRY, thank you for chiming in and relating your experience.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #27
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
HTCURRY, thank you for chiming in and relating your experience.

Steve
Agreed
Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
dannyxm
was danny888

As a Solicitor i hope for his sake that the go kart place has notice of indemnity for such terrible circumstances. But issues of duty of care will be evident perhaps.

But its a perfect example of how common sense is not so common anymore.

Im mean really, wearing lose clothing and driving around in a go kart?

I have no issue with Muslims, by all means wear the traditional dress if thats your go, but this could have been avoided simply by wearing suitable atire.

Is there not a more 'snug' fitting head dress they can wear? I seen them on some Muslim women in and around there place.

My heart goes out to her family and guess the workers at the place would be hesitant at best not to upset her, but saftety is saftey.

Hopefully society will learn from this terrible situation and get a bit of common sense on board.

We always go go karting and wear suitable clothes. The one near my place make us wear overalls and their own full face helmets.

Annoying? Yes, but safe! You get to go home afterwards............

Last edited by dannyxm; 09-04-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HTCURRY, great post and it makes sense.

Go kart operator in the story should cop it, as he should not have let the lady on simple.

I doubt there would be any issues regarding discrimination like the rednecks are claiming
Old 09-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #30
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCURRY
Im muslim and went Go-Karting here in Canberra a couple of years back...and we had some female friends with us, who wore the burqa.

The manager was adamant that they wouldnt be allowed on the track unless they took it off...n that it was for their/our good.

No fuss....2 of the girls took the burqa off so they could join in the fun...and the 3rd wasnt willing to, so sat around and moped, while we had a ton of fun.

No one raised a stink...simply a case of safety...and the manager explaining the potential for mishap.

This really is a case of bad luck for all concerned. Im hoping the family will show some common sense in their grief, and not go after the owners....because in the courts they might get their day...but to me it would give the tabloids yet another stick to beat muslims with.

Just need lawyers to stay away from the family, and the authorities to use some common sense and maybe give the establishment a warning, put them on probation or something...and leave it at that.

If i am muslim, wear a burqa and purchase a bike, motor/push, and then strangle myself can i sue Yamaha or Schwinn bikes? im guessing no.
Great post, let's hope the family shares your sentiment. Rep+ to you sir.

I hope for the sake of the family and the owner of the business that commonsense prevails and that nothing further comes of this bar a huge lesson learnt and that something similar will never happen again. However in this day in age, I doubt this is where it will end.
Closed Thread