Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Race Brakes Sydney

Race Brakes Sydney Street and race performance pad / rotor combinations as well as brake upgrades and Exedy clutch kits. Website Link

Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Limitation of stock Brembo pads revealed

Thought I'd throw a couple of photographs of what happens when you exceed the operating limitations of brake pad linings, in this case OE Brembo pads fitted to 6 spot Brembo calipers. The rotors are DBA drilled and slotted 2 piece in 355mm.

These pads have travelled around 18k.

They have only been to the circuit once, but have done a bit of drag racing, so have hauled my GT down from over 200kmh many times.

I thought the brakes in the Scud were feeling rather soft, um, became obvious upon removal and they fell apart in my hands. Linings have seperated from the pad structure, friction material has fracured and there is large chunks MIA.. No noises, no shudder, vibration, just poor brake performance LOL.

So, please select the correct grade of pad for your application, talk to guys that know (like Matt from Race Brakes) for a recommendation on what works. And think hard about pushing your car beyond the design limitations of the hardware installed.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: Limitation of stock Brembo pads revealed

Jeezus, they're wrecked.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
05_ENFORCER

I wonder if the non Brembo discs may have hastened the destruction of the OE Brembo pads Tex?

Last edited by 05_ENFORCER; 04-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.
05_ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Dont reckon mate, its been a result of mechanical effort exceeding the limitation of the friction material, theyve been overheated and failed as a result.

The aftermarket discs, the braided lines, and good fluid have collectively allowed greater temperature to be exerted on the pad linings, so with that in mind - you probably make a valid point.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Did you ever experience significant brake fade?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What did you replace them with Tex?

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I'm surprised you're still running stock pads Tex.

I upgraded from them long ago (found out first track day they were rubbish).

Been running DS2500's since, as a good road/track compromise.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
tex
Broken

Chris I normally run ds2500, had many sets of them. When I installed the brake upgrade I removed the Brembo pads, wore out a set of ferrodos very quickly... Three track days in quick succession, so re-installed the oe pads. Was feeling a little tight at the time.

I burn through pads and discs regularly (as do you) and it gets mighty expensive (as you know lol)

I've dropped back a grade of pad this time around, back to "ds performance", they aren't quite as good as 2500 but not bad, had them before. I don't circuit the car as much now-days, just don't have as much spare cash to burn now my little bloke has come along!

The pads pictured were still stopping the car, dragged it recently and they were pulling me up, although extra pedal effort was required lol. I do not recommend running on pads as degraded as those pictured, I was obviously shocked when I removed them. No obvious signs of degradation prior to removal, although a week or two ago I did note the wheels were covered in grit as well as dust... The grit was obviously pad lining doh!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
F6E

Exact same pads recently removed at 42,000km no drags or track work..

Supports what Tex is saying, choose the correct pad for your application..

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Chris I normally run ds2500, had many sets of them. When I installed the brake upgrade I removed the Brembo pads, wore out a set of ferrodos very quickly... Three track days in quick succession, so re-installed the oe pads. Was feeling a little tight at the time.

I burn through pads and discs regularly (as do you) and it gets mighty expensive (as you know lol)

I've dropped back a grade of pad this time around, back to "ds performance", they aren't quite as good as 2500 but not bad, had them before. I don't circuit the car as much now-days, just don't have as much spare cash to burn now my little bloke has come along!

The pads pictured were still stopping the car, dragged it recently and they were pulling me up, although extra pedal effort was required lol. I do not recommend running on pads as degraded as those pictured, I was obviously shocked when I removed them. No obvious signs of degradation prior to removal, although a week or two ago I did note the wheels were covered in grit as well as dust... The grit was obviously pad lining doh!
Thought it was odd you running some OE pads.

I keep 'not track day worthy' pads for when I need a set for street or emergency (ie. oh **** I've run out of pad today) duties.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
nelsonian101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My FG has done dozens of circuits days and over 200,000kms. Yes, FG!

Gone through a heap of pads.

Recently tried Endless PC35 and then my current track pads, Project Mu H16-03.
Nothing comes close when up to temp, but they fry rotors.

350,000kms+

Road registered Lap record holder at Wakefield for any Ford or 2wd 4 door, of any make.....ever!!

Wakefield 1.07.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Marulan 43.4 Winton 1.35.4
nelsonian101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

sounds like you've got a serious setup for tackling corners, care to elaborate on where you race, and how fast

Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:

Hi mate sorry about not replying i just seen this thread it seems it had slipped through my fingers but nice job on the pads.
I wanted to ask you about the difference in the DS Performance and the DS 2500 for street use only and what you found different in them.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
tex
Broken

Hello Matt.

For street application, I reckon the DS performance do just fine, lot better than OE Brembo pads, and on par with the DS2500. Infact, I'll go as far as saying that I find the DS Performance slightly better pic for street application.

Why?

The DS2500 work splendidly at temperatures beyond the capability of DS performance (which I have been able to fade at a supersprint events), but IMO, the tradeoff is less 'positive' lower temp, under foot feel in a street application.

Track application the more expensive Ferrodo compound works better.

It must be kept in mind that I do punish my brake hardware, and I do have some strips of tight, mountainous, down hill road that combined with my heavy, very powerful car and driving style test components beyond that of a normal A - B commute drive.

Hope that helps.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
My FG has done dozens of circuits days and over 200,000kms. Yes, FG!

Gone through a heap of pads.

Recently tried Endless PC35 and then my current track pads, Project Mu H16-03.
Nothing comes close when up to temp, but they fry rotors.
How you going with your bearings ?
Seems you're going thru them just as fast
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Hello Matt.

For street application, I reckon the DS performance do just fine, lot better than OE Brembo pads, and on par with the DS2500. Infact, I'll go as far as saying that I find the DS Performance slightly better pic for street application.

Why?

The DS2500 work splendidly at temperatures beyond the capability of DS performance (which I have been able to fade at a supersprint events), but IMO, the tradeoff is less 'positive' lower temp, under foot feel in a street application.

Track application the more expensive Ferrodo compound works better.

It must be kept in mind that I do punish my brake hardware, and I do have some strips of tight, mountainous, down hill road that combined with my heavy, very powerful car and driving style test components beyond that of a normal A - B commute drive.

Hope that helps.
Thankyou and this is why we prefer people run DS Performance if just using for street purpose only.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Agreed, in the cold winters mornings here, with the DS2500s you certainly have to plan ahead (leave ample room etc.), you wouldn't want the first stop to be an emergency one.

They also have a tendency to squeal (at least the rears on mine), again most people won't want that on a streeter.