Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #31
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: All-New Camry revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Quote:
"but without the Aurion badge used for the V6 version of the Camry"
Surprised no one has commented on that line yet!
Still up to Toyota AU how they want to market it.

With the SV21 (first FWD Camry we had) they simply called it a Camry V6, and restricted the trim levels it was available in.

With the following "wide body" Camry in circa '92 they introduced the Vienta name for the V6, and stuck with Camry for the 4. There was no sheetmetal or other distinguishing differences (except the 2nd gen "Apollo" spinoff).

It swung back to Camry as a solo name for both engine types several more models, until the Aurion - with a unique nose & tail treatment, became the distinct V6 model - around mid-late '06 from memory?

So it wouldn't surprise me if they go either way - simply calling it a Camry V6, or perhaps a unique name for the V6 like they did with the Vienta, and no external visual clues beyond the badge.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #32
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

That interior!

The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #33
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #34
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Our Camry's will be imported from Japan.
Will they? Would be good quality then.. Thought they were going to come from Thighland
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #35
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote: "Wrong whale choice but I get your meaning, agreed!"

Cheers mate - yes I meant Baleen Whale.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #36
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Our Camry's will be imported from Japan.
I stand corrected
Australian Toyota manufacturing will still disappear
Old 12-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #37
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day guys...Rather have one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSPkAzMzRw .....This is what I'm talking about with the greatest respect to Mondeo owners...They just give a bit more excitement for me..Mondeo is nice but not as ballsy as it could be perhaps..
I was a little surprised at the price too for a RS Focus around $52,000 on the road..
It has plenty of Kw's (257) and 440 Nm and hits the 0-100 in less than 5 seconds..Is AWD too.. I could live with one of these at some stage and think I'd definitely have one before the Toyota Camry.. .Trouble is , according to this review it's a longish wait to get one..Not too many will be readily available which is understandable and the first 500 sold out real quick.. Not too surprising on that count either..
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-01-2017 at 08:53 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #38
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day guys...Rather have one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSPkAzMzRw .....This is what I'm talking about with the greatest respect to Mondeo owners...They just give a bit more excitement for me..
I was a little surprised at the price too...around $51,000...
It has almost the KW's of an XR6 T and over 400 Nm and hits the 0-100 in less than 5 seconds..Is AWD too.. I could live with one of these.. definitely have one before a Kia..
Cheers Rod..
What about the All-New Camry though?......
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #39
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
What about the All-New Camry though?......
G'day Sorry about that...I crossed it over the new Kia Rear Wheel Drive thread also about to hit OZ.. and was a misprint basically.. Fixed now.
While I'm at it..The Toyota Camry looks are nothing special .. The Toyota Camry featured here in that certainly for me. The bonnet looks out of proportion and just wrong somehow for me.Interior picture looks ho hum also. Mind you , I've never got excited about them ever before .. The Toyota 86 is bat**** ugly and the Corolla is "yawn" boring...Reliable and well engineered they might be but uninspiring they CERTAINLY are.. Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-01-2017 at 09:12 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #40
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Is it me or is the front end a call back to the Camry from two generations back? Particularly the headlights.

<image>
I was thinking the same thing.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #41
The Snout

Cars are coming a long way. Camry looks alright and if this is the most boring someone can do then the choices aren't too bad these days.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #42
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Still up to Toyota AU how they want to market it.

With the SV21 (first FWD Camry we had) they simply called it a Camry V6, and restricted the trim levels it was available in.

With the following "wide body" Camry in circa '92 they introduced the Vienta name for the V6, and stuck with Camry for the 4. There was no sheetmetal or other distinguishing differences (except the 2nd gen "Apollo" spinoff).

It swung back to Camry as a solo name for both engine types several more models, until the Aurion - with a unique nose & tail treatment, became the distinct V6 model - around mid-late '06 from memory?

So it wouldn't surprise me if they go either way - simply calling it a Camry V6, or perhaps a unique name for the V6 like they did with the Vienta, and no external visual clues beyond the badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog
It's probably because there aren't enough white goods enthusiasts on this forum.

It is a damn shame though, dropping the Aurion badge probably signifies the end of Toyota's 5-second 0-100 fwd giant slayer...

:(
Don't Toyota slot the Camry into the 'mid size' range against Mondeo etc?

The Aurion was always a 'large car' with the Falcon and Commodore.

Yet there are only mm apart in size aren't they?

So now that article refers to the Aurion as 'a V6 Camry'... which is exactly what it is!

Or the Camry is a 4cyl Aurion...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Its funny how tastes are forced to change when the Australian manufacturing plants close down.

Its like being stranded on an island with only men around. Eventually you're going to be all like "Well... theres only men around here, I don't have much choice now do I? I guess they look ok. They will still get the job done, and they even have a few extra 'features' than what I'm used to."

Apologies, its the best analogy I could come up with for purchasing a Camry.
Just no , I would build a raft .......
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #44
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Toyota expecting new Camry sales slide

Camry sales set to drop on switch to Japan import despite similar pricing

11 January, 2017

Daniel DeGasperi

Toyota Australia has already confessed its newly revealed imported Camry will sell in fewer numbers than the outgoing locally built car, nine months before it lands in dealerships Down Under.

Despite touting the eighth-generation Camry as revolutionary for design and dynamics and bolstering it with a V6 for the first time in a decade, a loss of government contracts and reduced need for aggressive pricing have been cited as reasons for the forecast sales drop.

2018 Toyota Camry. Photo: Supplied

"We were getting some special treatment from various government authorities and some larger Australian companies would give us preferential treatment as a local manufacturer," admitted Toyota Australia sales and marketing executive director Tony Cramb.

"We'll certainly continue to sell Camrys to the fleet and government market [but] obviously buying policies will change after we are no longer are a local manufacturer.

"I think sales will come off where they are at the moment [but] that's [also] a reasonable assumption given that we are meeting a sales plan which is a commitment to our supplier base and also to our employees to ensure a smooth run-out and transition."

Cramb said Toyota Australia was working with suppliers on a closure date for its local factory at Altona, Victoria, and he confirmed the exact date within the fourth quarter of 2017 would be announced before the end of March.

He also disclosed that Toyota Australia was currently using aggressive pricing tactics to ensure that each Camry built finds buyers even beyond the factory closure - given the new model will be imported from Japan weeks after the closure - without factory downtime.

"I think it's fair to say we're selling more now that would ordinarily be sold in Australia, we're merchandising aggressively at the moment in order to meet that commitment to manufacturing," Cramb added.

The Camry was the best-selling vehicle in the country in December 2016 with 4850 units shifted, while it finished the year with 26,485 sales and in sixth place overall on the charts.

Meanwhile the Aurion contributed 641 and 3833 sales over each period respectively, leading the Toyota Australia sales and marketing executive director to conclude that there was no longer a requirement for a separate nameplate first introduced in 2006 to tackle the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore in the large car segment.

"I think with the emergence of a Camry V6 [in addition to the existing four-cylinder and hybrid versions] that market is probably at the point now where you couldn't manage to have more than one nameplate," Cramb explained.

"The [large car] market itself is shrinking and so for us that kind of entrant as a Camry into a segment which is big enough for one Toyota is a great entry into that market."

When the Camry-based Aurion debuted in 2006, the large car segment totalled 130,160 units; last year it managed just 35,398 sales.

"We've sold over 100,000 Aurions during its life and it has done an amazing job, but it was probably launched at a different time in the Australian automotive industry and it had a particular job and did a really good job of that," Cramb continued.

"I think the market is changing and we're changing with it."

However, despite the medium segment also being in decline (exclude the 26,485 Camrys sold last year and the remaining 15 segment entries total just 24,478 sales), Cramb said he believed the strengths of the new Camry would be welcome in the segment.

"What happens in terms of market segments happens over time, so time will tell," he said.

"[But] I think it's just a gorgeous car, it's a great representation of what can be done with the new TNGA [Toyota New Global Architecture] platform, with the vibrant styling that Toyota is moving towards and I think it's a wonderful package for the Australian consumer.

"It will be really well received."

Toyota Australia initiated focus groups singularly concerned with the sharpened styling of the new Camry, and Cramb said the vehicle "has been incredibly well received." And despite the move from Australian built to Japanese manufactured, he further stated that "I don't think that is going have a dramatic impact on pricing".

The current Camry starts from $26,490 plus on-road costs and tops out at $40,440 (plus orc). The new Camry V6 uses an updated version of the Aurion's 3.5-litre V6 engine, now with direct injection, teamed with an additional two gears to create an eight-speed automatic.

"The sports version of the V6 is the one that excites us the most," Cramb suggested.

"It's a terrific offering, and particularly the V6 and the hybrid, once you drive those vehicles you will be astounded about what a Camry is capable of.

"I think at that point you will start to realise why we're so excited about this car."

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...10-gtp8t3.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #45
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Don't Toyota slot the Camry into the 'mid size' range against Mondeo etc?

The Aurion was always a 'large car' with the Falcon and Commodore.

Yet there are only mm apart in size aren't they?

So now that article refers to the Aurion as 'a V6 Camry'... which is exactly what it is!

Or the Camry is a 4cyl Aurion...
They are the same shell - only the cosmetic treatments of the nose & tail differ, so they are exactly the same size in the critical dimensions (width, height, legroom, hip room etc).

Toyota seemed to think "large" required a V6, and "mid size" required only a 4 - and attempted to position the car in both size categories, despite it being the same size car.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #46
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"I think at that point you will start to realise why we're so excited about this car."

Excited and this car ( Camry) cannot exist in the same sentence.