Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2017, 03:03 AM   #31
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden V8 RWD sports car within 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Enough of ford too then, bring on the Edsel / Pinto badges
Honesty right....
Yep! And on the 7th day God created Ford.

Last edited by Blue Roo; 14-01-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 03:12 AM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be keen for at least a Camaro if the price is right maybe even stretch quite a bit for a Corvette. The pluses of not having to worry about kids
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 03:43 AM   #33
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
Yep! And on the 7th day God created Ford.
On the 7th day he created all the big 3, AMC and some Euro marques.
Good on him.
Not that ford has any connection to Aus really.

Hopefully they do a hasty restyle of the Camaro, seems to have lost it.
Even if it performs great.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #34
XR6_power

Post Re: Holden V8 RWD sports car within 3 years

G'day all, this is my diagnosis of what is in a lot of Aussie car lovers' minds lately is-

*The cessation of the local car manufacturing, is becoming real. With Ford's plant closure in October last year, this is hitting home in a big way, and now Holden lovers are going through the same thing we went though 12 months ago. That being disbelief, loss, and what are we going to buy next?

Some people will rush out and buy a new example of the last few thousand units built, some will get nostalgic and buy a bunch of older models, to restore and put away in the shed (in the hope that they may be a retirement fund one day). Then others don't really care that much and will just buy an imported suv, American muscle car or small vehicle to replace their venerable Aussie metal.

I guess that is what this thread is about, car lovers realising that the end is here for locally made cars, and they're assessing what to do next.

For me, I know it's been on the cards for years now (the announcements were in 2013), but still can't get my head around the massive loss of jobs, of Australian car culture, the classic Holden/Ford rivalry that is Australia's alone, something our sons and daughters of the future will never really know.

Most of all, I feel it is inconcievable that we had an Auto industry that gave back to the economy in big spades, but successive governments did not even attempt to hatch a solution to make it viable in the long term.

And thus, here we are, at the end..

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #35
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They hatched the "solution" back in the first half of the 70s when Whitlam let his mate Button have his way with "industry" in Australia.

They killed Aussie manufacturing of electronics almost overnight in the early 70s.
For the car industry the first victim was Leyland. It's amazing that others lasted so long.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #36
ken1939

I am trying to wrap my head around the concept. With Holden and Ford stopping production what market will there be for something like this? Kind of like the Mustang making it to Oz and England.

GM not one to shy away from whoring a car or two, Pontiac G8 and GTO if I remember my recent history.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #37
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

No way will a Camaro or a Corvette ever be brought over as a "Holden". So therefore, there will never be a Holden RWD coming. Semantics??? Some say yes. I say no. This is where you see the importance of a Ford being known as a Ford worldwide. Holden is DEAD after manufacturing ceases.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'm biased, but the Mustang IMO has a much more iconic following worldwide than the Camaro.

Is GM going to take the punt and do a RHD version ?

Good luck if they do I say.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
No way will a Camaro or a Corvette ever be brought over as a "Holden". So therefore, there will never be a Holden RWD coming. Semantics??? Some say yes. I say no. This is where you see the importance of a Ford being known as a Ford worldwide. Holden is DEAD after manufacturing ceases.
Holden holds arguably much more in Australia over Ford though...using a different name made it Australian...

But, as for a RWD product.

Holden have had a marketing team with its finger on the pulse for years, only a complete nutter would think that they would abandon any sort of RWD product...Whilst the Camaro is ruled out and the Corvette not really ideal...you have to point towards Cadillac for an another option.

Caddy sales aren't the greatest, and there is a global push for its models to improve numbers...and the Omega platform used by Cadillac is RHD friendly.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #40
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
Yes it's semantics.
Gm is Gm is Gm. Both are yank multinationals.
Ford has closed factories in Europe and sold their ppg.
Maybe they don't have the cachet you think.

Canadian, corvette and mopars are just as legendary as the mustang
Old 14-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #41
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Yes it's semantics.
Gm is Gm is Gm. Both are yank multinationals.
Ford has closed factories in Europe and sold their ppg.
Maybe they don't have the cachet you think.

Canadian, corvette and mopars are just as legendary as the mustang
Canadian ?
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #42
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Canadian ?
On phone, camaro and gto
Soz.
Old 15-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #43
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day...Incase you guys are interested..
Here's some footage of Steve Johnson driving the Elephant Pass stage of Targa Tasmania in 2014..in a new Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDhyha6ODp0 This is about 15 minutes from where I live.. I drive this road many many times a year..Not this fast of course..This is seriously steep, narrow and windy I can assure you..The other Pass (St Marys Pass) about the same distance away is the same .. It used to be a stage but they changed the course..The 'Vette' sounds alright. Here's a Porsche 911 doing the same stage , same year as a comparison.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40L4llsTI0I ..I wonder what a FGX Sprint would do it like ? ..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 15-01-2017 at 12:38 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
you have to point towards Cadillac for an another option.

Caddy sales aren't the greatest, and there is a global push for its models to improve numbers...and the Omega platform used by Cadillac is RHD friendly.
Cadillac came to Australia:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/103...ches-downunder

Then Cadillac disappeared from Australia before it launched properly.

Then Cadillac is coming again:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/346005/c...ralia-in-2020/

Now Cadillac is not coming:

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/c...10-gtp96m.html

GM are FOS, they've been caught with their pants around their ankles with the Mustang release, have no answer to it and are making up crap to please the media and they fall for it hook line and sucker, there won't be a RWD V8 from them coming to Australia any time soon.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-01-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #45
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Both Jacoby and Bernhard are instead focused on repositioning Holden as a fully-imported and more premium positioned brand. Only once Holden is successful will Jacoby and Bernhard revisit introducing Cadillac to the mix."

There it is .... Caddililac will be coming to Oz ....... sometime in the indeterminate, wait and see, possibly distant future ...... or maybe not at all. Bit like the second coming of the Almighty. Why do I have visions of the life of Brian and a dead parrot. ?
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #46
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden will never be premium position without dropping the Holden. It is just too ingrained as a purveyor of common transport like Toyota and ford Nissan etc.

There is no usp or exclusivity in terms of numbers to warrant a premium position.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #47
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm thinking it's a Buick off the Alpha platform. Cadillac, Camaro and Corvette are all too strong in terms of brand identity to bring here as Holdens- otherwise they might as well start afresh.

Also, with Chevrolet no longer in Europe and Buick stylistically linked to Opel, GM might want a Mustang rival there- especially if they build the Opel GT concept ( God I hope so).
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Holden will never be premium position without dropping the Holden. It is just too ingrained as a purveyor of common transport like Toyota and ford Nissan etc.

There is no usp or exclusivity in terms of numbers to warrant a premium position.
They have already failed with that strategy with the new Astra, they priced it at a premium and sold f all, and after 2 months have already chopped the price. This strategy will fail big time for them cause no one wants to pay a premium for GM rubbish and they dont have the nerve to hold those prices when it doesnt work as they want it to. GM only care about sales volume and will always slash prices to increase sales numbers. Its what drove them to bankruptcy but they will never change.

Ford are trying a similar premium price strategy but at least most of their cars are some of the best in their segments, and Ford have held their nerve and keep the prices where they want them even with lower sales than they would want. But they also are generating much better profits.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #49
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They have already failed with that strategy with the new Astra, they priced it at a premium and sold f all, and after 2 months have already chopped the price. This strategy will fail big time for them cause no one wants to pay a premium for GM rubbish and they dont have the nerve to hold those prices when it doesnt work as they want it to. GM only care about sales volume and will always slash prices to increase sales numbers. Its what drove them to bankruptcy but they will never change.

Ford are trying a similar premium price strategy but at least most of their cars are some of the best in their segments, and Ford have held their nerve and keep the prices where they want them even with lower sales than they would want. But they also are generating much better profits.
Hold on... Didn't they have a lot of problems with the focus and fiesta Automatic transmissions... basically they were cheap Thai garbage.
Or is that the old model now.