Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #3481
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Not really. I really don't care who does it, it's not like I'm adding an extension to my house.

It would be replacing a bit of ceiling and paint assuming no further damage in the roof. How difficult could that be? If they **** it up then they can get someone to fix it until it is satisfactory

Depending on the car and its condition I can understand a choice of repairer.

I didn't care who fixed mine. I drop it off to get assessed, then dropped it off for repair and picked it up when it was fixed. Simple.

You say that now then will be back hear saying how much you hate the 5 attempts to get the ceiling right
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #3482
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A friend commented recently on how people in the country reckon endemic crime is a city thing.

On my block in the last year, I’ve had bulk water theft, the most recent time the mongrels had the hide to pinch the entire tap - not just unscrew it at the meter.

And my builder’s tarp went missing. These are $400+ heavyweight tarps that will save an opened roof from torrential rain or hail. Where did my tarp end up? On the roof of the HOUSE NEXT DOOR and moreover, trimmed to fit. Shameless bâtards - I feel like dropping in with a copy of the sales invoice.

I might be an overly religious nutter but the proscription against pinching stuff simply because it suits you to, is surely a pretty basic part of our contract to walk free in society.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #3483
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A friend commented recently on how people in the country reckon endemic crime is a city thing.

On my block in the last year, I’ve had bulk water theft, the most recent time the mongrels had the hide to pinch the entire tap - not just unscrew it at the meter.

And my builder’s tarp went missing. These are $400+ heavyweight tarps that will save an opened roof from torrential rain or hail. Where did my tarp end up? On the roof of the HOUSE NEXT DOOR and moreover, trimmed to fit. Shameless bâtards - I feel like dropping in with a copy of the sales invoice.

I might be an overly religious nutter but the proscription against pinching stuff simply because it suits you to, is surely a pretty basic part of our contract to walk free in society.
a friend with a slug gun would help, just pop a few holes into the tarp just before rain.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #3484
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
a friend with a slug gun would help, just pop a few holes into the tarp just before rain.
Problem with that is little pellets may remain as evidence of being shot at.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #3485
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Water company have finally conceded they failed to credit my account twice despite being paid. Not in any polite form, just a bill showing nothing to pay for the quarter and still in credit.

That was the other thorn in having 1500KL knocked off, paying for some of it twice.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:36 AM   #3486
.:4:.
Kicking back

This one baffles me. So i can't give an exact time, mainly because im usually asleep when it happens. So its not every day or even weekly. But sometimes at midnight, being asleep my reaction times are a bit slow, my tv turns on with the volume up loud. I dunno how it knows the time, its not connected to the interweb and the power has been turned off enough times as thats my trade and any form of time keeping it shouldn't remember. Its 11 years old. Stupid thing
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #3487
Trendseeker

If the TV shows a girl with long dark hair over her face crawling towards you, turn and run.
Old 14-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #3488
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
If the TV shows a girl with long dark hair over her face crawling towards you, turn and run.
I have my own tin foil hat conspiracy theory. It involves the high frequency signal sent over the mains power to trigger the off peak relay that turns on my hot water unit.....
Yeah, its not that, otherwise most people would have the same issue. Ive unplugged the stupid thing. I hardly ever watch tv anyways. My attention span is too short.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #3489
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Reminds me of my old Panasonic plasma... For the total length of time I used it (just over 12 years) it would emit what could be likened to a solenoid/relay cycling click every morning when I toddled off to work at 4:30 a.m... Sounded exactly like when you hit the on button on the remote but it didn't fire up... It gave me the willies for a while but I lived with it. Went through four different houses, numerous resets etc but still did it. Also occasionally did it when wandering through the house in the dark in the wee hours... Like it could scents your presents...

Cheers, Tony
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #3490
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I have my own tin foil hat conspiracy theory. It involves the high frequency signal sent over the mains power to trigger the off peak relay that turns on my hot water unit.....
Yeah, its not that, otherwise most people would have the same issue. Ive unplugged the stupid thing. I hardly ever watch tv anyways. My attention span is too short.
You could be right. Faulty remotes or low batteries can cause it too. But now that you’ve unplugged it you can sleep uninterrupted.
Old 14-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #3491
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So my solar HWS needs new seals for the evacuated tubes (they enter the tank and hold water).
Find some on AliExpress and order them.
So I track the order progress and it's 'airline handover failure'.
Plus they've been sent standard delivery after I paid twenty bucks for express.
Message the supplier.
'Well you supplied a PO box address and not a physical address so the airline refused acceptance' - yeah duh because they'll be posted because they're so small, and I'm in the bush so I don't get letterbox delivery.
So they suggest opening a dispute for a refund.
I don't want a refund - I want the seals.
So I ask them to send them again by express delivery.
'No can do' - Chinese new year. Will send them in six days. Yeah right.
They laugh at us because we have no history and no culture and they've had thousands of years of civilisation and the highest average national IQ yet they pull this stunt.
Luckily the existing seals aren't leaking too badly but really ......
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #3492
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

At least you’re saving the HWS - many would have diced it.

That feeling of wading through halfwittery, near endlessly; it’s relatable.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #3493
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The stupidity of the muppets is relentless but I never let them get to me - there’s always a way to outwit or outmanoeuvre them.
The HWS system works well. Too well.
It needs most of the 24 tubes covered in summer (it can boil the tank in September in 33.5 degrees south latitude) so I just throw on a tarp or shadecloth but it really needs a roller blind operated from below or by thermostat.
Something else to invent ....
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #3494
Kicking back

Well, turns out my brakes work. I was first behind an accident today that blocked a 3 lane road. So hazards on, and do the check if persons involved are ok. What gets up my goat is no other person decided to see if the drivers involved were ok. It was a truck and 4 cars. Not the truck drivers fault, a car decided to change lanes when there wasnt space, and got sent elsewhere turning it into a domino effect. Arrgh, a horn doesnt clear the road. The truck needed heavy towing, 2 cars deffinately needed rides on flat beds. Nobody else gave half a ****, yes accidents shouldnt happen, but regardless, if they do and potentially people could be messed up, isnt atleast offering some form of help what you do? A horn doesnt do that. And yes it was a minor annoyance to me as it disrupted my trip. But thats not the point.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 10:38 PM   #3495
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you for stopping to check on the occupants.

You always get the same question asked when you attend First Aid Training: "Will I be liable if I attend to an injury and I make it worse??"

Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't get involved these days for those very reasons!!

Me? 20yrs Australian Navy and since leaving in 2000 and due to work, I have kept my First Aid knowledge pretty much up to date - I wouldn't say that I'm 100% confident but if I saw something like that, I doubt I could just drive on - I'd probably stop too.

Oh and the answer to that question is NO! You cannot be held accountable if you attend with the best intentions of rendering assistance. (or words to that effect )

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2021, 11:11 PM   #3496
Kicking back

I wasnt thinking of liability, i understand how that works. 1st aid, thats not my thing. Triple 0 sorts that out. Atleast there was no need for that. But it wasnt unlike i didnt have places to be either. I was heading home to get ready for dinner and pick my kid up from school as its my birthday. Id be a pretty crap first responder because i dont like seeing blood.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #3497
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got diagnosed with shingles last night, geez I hate that.
Going to be in trouble for at least a week or 2 by the sounds of other peoples experiences.
The worst is yet to come.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #3498
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You don’t get a like for that, it would seem like I was mocking you. But I hope it progresses to recovery quickly as possible.
Old 16-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #3499
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

How’s the pain, comrade?
Old 16-03-2021, 05:06 PM   #3500
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Got diagnosed with shingles last night, geez I hate that.
Going to be in trouble for at least a week or 2 by the sounds of other peoples experiences.
The worst is yet to come.
I hope you get a speedy recovery.
Old 16-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #3501
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers all, fortunately got diagnosed within the first 72 hours and anti viral meds are working great, slowed up the rash considerably, just very sensitive skin, like having a bad sunburn.
Unfortunately my immune system is compromised because of Multiple Myeloma, so very,very lucky it's not worse.
If you don't start treatment within 72 hours it can be real bad for up to a month.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #3502
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Bit over the relentless rain; I have it good here (~90m ASL) but as an outdoors person, feeling massively hemmed in! Normally I’d put the “kids” in the car and drive them to sleep, but the preferred routes have flood closures. They’ve been dozing through the days and disruptive at night.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #3503
Kicking back

2 doors up from my house theres that 1 house in the street where the residents walk trolleys back from wooliez and just dump them in the street. Middle of the road, across driveways, anywhere. Its a government facility for middle aged persons with mental disabilities, that part i have no issue with, but its staffed 24/7 with carers who dont seem to give a crap about anything. Like when they send a resident out to collect the bins, and they collect every bin in the street. You knock on the door and ask for your bin back and the staff get angry and ask how do i know its my bin. Everyone in the street has painted numbers on their bins, so its pretty obvious. Especially when the front yard has 26 bins on the lawn. Also every few weeks the staff smash the van. Last week i go to drive out my driveway and the road is covered in smashed glass. I look right and theres a car thats been side swiped hard, look left and theres the govco van gouged out with its side windows smashed. That bits the carers fault.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #3504
Kicking back

Im actually blowing up about this one. My mums laptop is 5 years old and has a noisy cooling fan. So she put it in to a computer repair place that said $150 for the fan. That was 2 weeks ago. So no communications, so she called them. They, without the ok, changed something, dunno if it was the motherboard, or a powersupply, my mum was a bit annoyed, but its an extra $280. My mums hands are tied as she is very orginised and all her financials are in spreadsheets on said laptop. She said what i was thinking, if she knew the cost, she'd buy a new laptop. It wouldnt overheat with a book used to space it up. But a fan, if it had been just a fan, thatd be ok. The rest still fine. But no communications and an extra bill, thats not on aye.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:53 PM   #3505
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of tension between Russia and Ukraine forces on the border at the moment. If it goes hot it will be very bad.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2021, 01:04 AM   #3506
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Go Ukrania!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #3507
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

A paper cut combined with hand sanitizer is not a happy combination.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #3508
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought some new solar lights to finish off my mower edge. I originally bought one of the multi packs for something like $10-$20. These ones were $9 each and I bought 6 of them so $54 in total and quite a bit more for the same amount of lights.

I put them in and they are way brighter than the last ones. First night they went strong lasting most of the night.

Second night however they started dying after a couple of hours, while at least one of the old ones I pulled out that is lying on the table was still going strong after I went to bed.

So I figured that they are not getting enough sun. I pulled them off and put them altogether where I thought maybe they will get the most sun and more importantly an equal amount.

That night they mostly stayed alight the same time but still only a couple of hours. Yet the old one on the table was still going when I woke up this morning! **** I hated that!

What I have observed this arvo is that while under the pergola is the old ones PV panel is pointed directly towards the sun while the new ones are shaded.

So what I have done is planted the old one roughly between a new one that goes strong and one that goes before that for an experiment.

What I'm hoping is that the old one will die roughly the same time.

If it doesn't boy I'm going to be really ****ed off as I will have to clean them all off and then return them
Old 09-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #3509
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont waste your time cleaning them, throw em in a bag and return to big green shed, they dont care as long as you have the invoice.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #3510
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
dont waste your time cleaning them, throw em in a bag and return to big green shed, they dont care as long as you have the invoice.
I'm guessing you're talking about Bunnings? I did buy the lights from them but it would be a shame to return them as they look pretty good when they are working, just underwhelmed with the performance so far.

I will need a few days to see how my experiment goes but I still have one tag and the invoice.

I was planning on buying new batteries and putting the oldies out in the front where I couldn't care less if they were flogged.

That's another I hate that. Getting new solar batteries. Seriously at least at my local store you can't get them since before Xmas. They said they are having troubles getting stock at least for the AA ones.