Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #241
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

back in high school, while mate was doing a u-turn we heard a hissing sound. he then told me we must of hit a gas pipe, i told him he must of busted his tyre valve when he scraped his wheel on the curb. he has no id what to do, i asked him to get the spare out of the back(the car was a magna wagon) and he said he didnt have one. when i lifted the wagons floor he almost fainted!!!! then i said grab the bloody jack, his answer was "whats that", thats when i almost fainted!!!!!!!!!1. anyway, i changed the tyre and replaced the hubcaps and all was well.
come to think of it now, no one is that silly. he must of been much smarter than i thought because i was the one changing the tyre not him because he ""didnt know what a jack was and he didnt have a spare"". who is silly now. doh!
Old 27-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #242
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris Hilton
guy named Rory at my high school: Yeah my uncle got from here (canberra) to Sydney in 2 hours...he did it at 3am in the morning a Aston Martin V8, doing 180km/h, but 170 around the corners :

Also the good old "Yeah I always go around corners in 4th" - thinking that a) 4th means fast, and b) that fast means hardcore.
I dont see how that is so unrealistic, I can get from Dickson traffic lights (Canberra) to Campbelltown interchange (Sydney outskirts) in 2 hours in the middle of the day in my Falcon, I reckon at 3 am I could almost get all the way into Sydney in 2 hours if i was willing to speed a little, it is freeway the whole way.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #243
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
I dont see how that is so unrealistic, I can get from Dickson traffic lights (Canberra) to Campbelltown interchange (Sydney outskirts) in 2 hours in the middle of the day in my Falcon, I reckon at 3 am I could almost get all the way into Sydney in 2 hours if i was willing to speed a little, it is freeway the whole way.
I was going to say. Campbelltown to Sydney is 35mins
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #244
james22
With da Warlords

I was speaking to a b/a at a party recently. Here goes;

B/A: Ohh mann, On the weekend I went down to calder with my WRX, I ripped the Exhaust & Extractors off it, and wound up the boost. It went like a rocket.

Me: How can you have boost if you've got no exhaust to run the turbo off????

B/A: You dont need an exhaust for a turbo!!!

Me:
Your thinking of a supercharger

B/A:
My Uncle owns Garrett (turbo's), so I think I would know!!!!!!!!!

Me: Yeah you would think wouldnt ya. Tosser (under breath)

****ed me up the wall but was ssssooooooo funny :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #245
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
I was speaking to a b/a at a party recently. Here goes;

B/A: Ohh mann, On the weekend I went down to calder with my WRX, I ripped the Exhaust & Extractors off it, and wound up the boost. It went like a rocket.

Me: How can you have boost if you've got no exhaust to run the turbo off????

B/A: You dont need an exhaust for a turbo!!!

Me:
Your thinking of a supercharger

B/A:
My Uncle owns Garrett (turbo's), so I think I would know!!!!!!!!!

Me: Yeah you would think wouldnt ya. Tosser (under breath)

****ed me up the wall but was ssssooooooo funny :
What a loser! If only more people were this stupid then maybe we wouldn't have the stereotype us WRX owners do.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #246
Mitch_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
What a loser! If only more people were this stupid then maybe we wouldn't have the stereotype us WRX owners do.
did you know that VTEC makes cars NA cars faster than turbos
and that blow off valves are for show off purposes only...you only really need a wastegate. apparenly a kid i know has a mate that has a turbo civic that only has a wastegate, because he doesnt want to show off to he removed the blow off valve ;)
Mitch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #247
Lumpen Proletariat

One guy in our grade 10 Science Class came up with some absolute pearlers.

We were discussing Chromosomes, Genetics and all that and how all living things have them. Giraffe's have 30, King Crabs 208 and we have 24. His question was 'Well, how many Chromosomes does Fire have'?

On discussing pollution and it's effect's on the future, specifically the lack of breathable air his solution was 'Why not have everyone walk around with fish tank breathers/filters over their mouths?'

All was forgiven though, when we were making plastics in class and one of them smelt very fishy. His classic call was to the girl of dubious repute 'Bonnie, shut your legs, we can smell you from here'! Even the teacher, a very straight laced, religious man in his 50's doubled over in laughter.

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #248
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I was talking to a potential member of our club on the weekend and when talking about the cars we had in the club i said "a few EH's". I have no idea why i said it, i was thinking of one member's EF... but i felt like a right fool... :

BLONDE MOMENT! :

: :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #249
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
I was talking to a potential member of our club on the weekend and when talking about the cars we had in the club i said "a few EH's". I have no idea why i said it, i was thinking of one member's EF... but i felt like a right fool... :

BLONDE MOMENT! :

: :
hahaha.. mmmmmm now your scaring me Jen : There is so many differences between a EH and an EF.. not to mention the fact one is not FORD _2:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #250
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
hahaha.. mmmmmm now your scaring me Jen : There is so many differences between a EH and an EF.. not to mention the fact one is not FORD _2:
I know...I should just say E series so i dont make the same mistake in the future. I know what an EH is, my ex had an EK and i used to go to car shows and see all the old classics...
That is why i was so embarrased to actually say it, because as soon as i did i realised what i said and worse still, realised i didnt just confuse an EF with an EA or something, but confused the letters with a classic HOLDEN!!! e

Unfortunately, it wasnt the moment the car on the dyno revved up and the nice guy i was talking to picked up on it straight away.... :

:nutsycuck

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #251
Rollin
Banned

I just remembered another one:

Was talking to a mates' sisters' fiance ages ago, who is apparently 'awesome with cars' and he was talling me all about an old laser he used to have:

1980something 1.5L carby job, to which he fitted twin carbs, home made extractors and 4, yep, 4 turbos, with seperate intercoolers. Apparently went really hard and would wheelspin in every gear.

After a while he decided it was too slow so he swapped it for a motorbike, but no longer has the bike, or any pics or proof of the quad turbo laser...

In my other post in here I mentioned an apprentice at work who asked me if my car was a V12 while looking at the motor - well soon after that little cracker I was messing about with my car in the workshop (271rwhp turbo 4 litre for anyone not familiar with it)

He walked up to the car (without knowing ANYTHING about it at all), and says "My mates car would eat this" so I asked him what his mates car is - a F250 with a full NASCAR engine (NASCAR apparently run 600ci big blocks with nitrous, according to him) which also had a NASCAR 7 speed auto.

I didn't even bother arguing about the capacity/N2O, but I queried him on the whole 7 speed auto thing, as I'm fairly sure they are only allowed to run 4 speed manuals (please correct me if I'm wrong) and he was adamant they are allowed to run 7 speed autos.

Then he told me that him and his mate with the F250 go up to the hills near some dam and "he can hardly keep up with his mate through the hills" in his stock early 90s laser.

Gee, they must both be total weapons!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #252
vectra-racer
pom racer

best one i ever heard, from a UK forum

"i put my back seats down when i'm racing, it helps with the aerodynamics"

as if that wasnt bad enough, after he had been flamed and harassed he claimed he meant that by doing so it made a difference to the weight distribution in the car.

bwahahaha
Old 30-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #253
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin

1980something 1.5L carby job, to which he fitted twin carbs,
Gee, they must both be total weapons!
Twin carbs were standard on 1.5L Laser S
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #254
photn
AFF Post NAZI

ohh this thread is hilarious....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #255
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectra-racer
best one i ever heard, from a UK forum

"i put my back seats down when i'm racing, it helps with the aerodynamics"

as if that wasnt bad enough, after he had been flamed and harassed he claimed he meant that by doing so it made a difference to the weight distribution in the car.

bwahahaha
GOLD!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #256
Rollin
Banned

Quote:
Twin carbs were standard on 1.5L Laser S
twin carbs or a two barrell carb? I'm yet to see any factory laser with two individual carburettors, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #257
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Yep the early lasers had those evil twin Makuni things...................................piece of shit!
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #258
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
Yep the early lasers had those evil twin Makuni things...................................piece of shit!
I dont know what the lasers had on them .... Mikuni's ??? But my datsun roadster has dual side draft 44PHH solex mikuni's on it (factory standard). They are known as the set and forget carb. Guys that have put on webbers or delauto's are always setting/repairing. Often a good product is called junk due to lack of knowledge/skill.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:11 AM   #259
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

During schoolies the amount of cars that got from Sydney to the Gold Coast or Surfers / Brisbane in 7 hours was amazing!!

Perhaps they had car boats with jet thrusters lol
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #260
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I dont know what the lasers had on them .... Mikuni's ??? But my datsun roadster has dual side draft 44PHH solex mikuni's on it (factory standard). They are known as the set and forget carb. Guys that have put on webbers or delauto's are always setting/repairing. Often a good product is called junk due to lack of knowledge/skill.
I thought that Mikunis were very similar to Webers (the hot Japanese version of the 240Z – the Z432 used a 4-valve head, 3 Mikunis and 2 overhead camshafts on it’s 2 litre 6 cylinder engine).

Most of the Zed tuners I have spoken to seem to prefer Webers (prob because they are more familiar with them and their adjustments, maybe because they will know that customers will be back for adjustments). My old Webers used to be good (change to slightly bigger jets for race days) they were set up with good linkages and things to start with rather than junky copies. No choke so two pumps of the accelerator before you start it up in the morning (3 if it was cold).

Scuderia (?) Motorports back in the 80’s had a stroked L28 display engine with triple Mikunis in their showroom. It eventually ran on the street with triple 45 webers – sounded horn with open trumpets (and picked up 10bhp on Frank Lowndes dyno).

I agree that Dellortos seem to be a bit temperamental.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #261
Mental
Cam Luncheon

god .. help .. me ... dying ... :hihi:

Last edited by Mental; 04-12-2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: blah, wrong smiley
Mental is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #262
majin_andrew

A mates stock as a rock eb runs 9 second quarters, and he is going to put a 308 in it. He also crashed his bmx years ago and was flying through the air for 15 seconds ( his cousin timed him from when he crashed to when he landed).

Another mate has designed a few FPV's that are currently beginning production, and his uncle owns a Phase 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

I have also been told that turbos work by sending exhaust gases back into the cylinders to get combusted again.

I have been told on a couple of occasions that V6s are more powerful than I6s because they are more balanced (you need to remind them of M3s, GT-Rs, E49 Chargers etc before you convince some people that I6s aren't necessarily pus).
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #263
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_anderson
did you know that VTEC makes cars NA cars faster than turbos
and that blow off valves are for show off purposes only...you only really need a wastegate. apparenly a kid i know has a mate that has a turbo civic that only has a wastegate, because he doesnt want to show off to he removed the blow off valve ;)
Thats an on-going argument there is no evidence to show that a BOV will improve turbo life or improve performance. 80's eva f1 turbos didn't use BOV (1300HP+ from 1.5L), Le Mans GT1's no BOV, Indy cars no BOV. They are used on road cars (Plumb Back) to reduce noise caused by turbo flutter.

Some pretty funny posts here
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 06:11 AM   #264
luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlewThunder
also with a little bit of skill you can actually pull the blades off and turn them over and put them back on so they are then still drawing air from the correct side....so who is the joke on now?
Hate to bring this up, but actually you can't. If you take the blades off and put them on the other way, the fan will still draw air the same way, because the blades are facing the other way, but they're also spinning the other way. However, with most DC brushed motors, like what you would probably find driving an engine fan, you can reverse the polarity of the power supply to make it run backwards. Doesn't work with brushless though, but I don't think you'd find a brushless engine fan.

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #265
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Hate to bring this up, but actually you can't. If you take the blades off and put them on the other way, the fan will still draw air the same way, because the blades are facing the other way, but they're also spinning the other way. However, with most DC brushed motors, like what you would probably find driving an engine fan, you can reverse the polarity of the power supply to make it run backwards. Doesn't work with brushless though, but I don't think you'd find a brushless engine fan.
Beware of second hand Au cooling fans for sale on E Bay. They have come from taxis and the brushes are worn away to nothing and can't be replaced.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #266
luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Beware of second hand Au cooling fans for sale on E Bay. They have come from taxis and the brushes are worn away to nothing and can't be replaced.
I can imagine, that's why I went to Motor Traders and got me a set of clean new EL ones.

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #267
naxh96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat

All was forgiven though, when we were making plastics in class and one of them smelt very fishy. His classic call was to the girl of dubious repute 'Bonnie, shut your legs, we can smell you from here'! Even the teacher, a very straight laced, religious man in his 50's doubled over in laughter.

Lumpy
This sounds so similar to a class at my old high school in yeppoon qld. even the name sounds correct, last name either loney or lewis. 2 years out and i miss high school for the inherent insanity with the mates. uni just never lives up to those old antics
naxh96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #268
bigAl
THIS IS SPARTA!!

a mate asked me the other day, "can i still drive my car around with bent valves?, will it cause any damage?"
bigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #269
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

This one still makes me laugh, how clueless can you get:
Quote:
"The EB is going to rape your XF regardless of the mods."
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post